Home
Posted By: OSU_Sig Favorite priming tool - 05/23/20
So I've been using the Lee manual priming tool for years and years. I have one for small primers and one for large primers. It's been working okay and without a lot of drama. However, today while priming some 17 Hornet brass, I really struggled in keeping the primers in the correct orientation and overall ease of priming, which is something I'd not experienced before. It was enough that it made me a bit twitchy and concerned about a primer detonation. I don't like that.

So, those of you who manually prime your brass, what brand of primer tool do you use or what would you recommend?
Posted By: lotech Re: Favorite priming tool - 05/23/20
I've used several hand priming tools and I've primed on presses in the last fifty-five years. All I've used for several years now is the 21st Century hand priming tool. Good quality and works better than anything I've used in the past.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Favorite priming tool - 05/23/20
Lyman. Works well and is reasonably priced. Plus it uses your usual shell holders.
Posted By: jdunham Re: Favorite priming tool - 05/23/20
I have used the Sinclair for years. Not cheap but it is a quality piece of equipment.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Favorite priming tool - 05/24/20
25 years and still works. Parts for repair available if needed.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Bobber257 Re: Favorite priming tool - 05/24/20
Swifty, Santa brought me one of those this past Christmas. The best thing since sliced bread. Where in Hell have I been for all these years?
Posted By: Ky221 Re: Favorite priming tool - 05/24/20
Have used the lee and rcbs handheld.

I prefer using my rockchucker.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Favorite priming tool - 05/24/20
Originally Posted by Swifty52

How do you feed it?
Originally Posted by Ky221

I also prefer using my rockchucker. It came with the press and supreme kit, why not use it huh? It always baffles me when I see guys waste their hard earned money on extra gizmo's they don't need... This reloading chit can be easy and kept to a minimum, or it can be made more complicated.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
KISS
Posted By: 79S Re: Favorite priming tool - 05/24/20
I been using the Rcbs hand priming tool that came with my rock chucker 12 yrs ago.. works great, never cared for the priming tool on the press..
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Favorite priming tool - 05/24/20
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

How do you feed it?

The RCBS Automatic Bench Priming Tool is a great tool for the reloader looking for fast, accurate and highly sensitive feel when seating primers. One of the attributes that seasoned reloaders look for in a priming tool is the "feel" so they can tell how deep a primer has been seated, and if the primer they just seated felt like the primer they seated 10 rounds ago. By having a tool that provides sensitive feel reloaders can tell how consistent their priming operation is which helps to create more accurate ammunition. One other great attribute of this priming tool is that it helps to virtually eliminate primer contamination. Primers are fed through auto primer feed tubes one-by-one helping to maintain the integrity of primers by preventing potential contamination from oily fingers. All reloaders have to do to fill up the primer tubes is dump their primers into a primer flipping tray then use the primer pick-up tubes to pick up primers, so there should not be a chance for contamination.

Notes: Comes with large and small primer tubes, primer cups and priming rod assemblies

Made In United States of America
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Favorite priming tool - 05/24/20
Thanks Swifty
Posted By: boatanchor Re: Favorite priming tool - 05/24/20
Everybody has their own opinions but for me the K&M hand priming tool has the best feel of them all and is cheaper than the Sinclair and 21st Century.
A bit slow being a single feed. The priming tool I use the most is the RCBS 90200 (they make a couple models but this is the one I like best)
I have 2 of these one for large and one for small.
Posted By: boatanchor Re: Favorite priming tool - 05/24/20
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I also prefer using my rockchucker. It came with the press and supreme kit, why not use it huh? It always baffles me when I see guys waste their hard earned money on extra gizmo's they don't need... This reloading chit can be easy and kept to a minimum, or it can be made more complicated.
KISS

This is almost like going back to the era of the caveman..........OSU Sig, don't do this !!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Favorite priming tool - 05/24/20
Lyman ram prime..
Posted By: Seafire Re: Favorite priming tool - 05/25/20
RCBS Rock Chucker kit...their hand priming tool... plus two others I bought separate...

one for 223, one for .473 bolt face and one that was for Magnums, which I don't seem to shoot.. so I just changed the shell holder on it for priming Grendel brass....
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

KISS

This is almost like going back to the era of the caveman..........OSU Sig, don't do this !!!!!!!!!!

boatanchor, you bring very little to the table in the way of advice. You should take up fishing or something.. Find something you are good at, because it sure as chidt isn't reloading and shooting or firearms related. Your post in the optics forum is funny as well. Pretty clueless...
Posted By: ldholton Re: Favorite priming tool - 05/25/20
Aps system has some very good merits
Posted By: MikeS Re: Favorite priming tool - 05/25/20
I've heard good things about the K&M tool. I hear guys talking highly about the 21st century tool at our matches. They are mostly the F Open guys. It all depends on what you are after. I do not think my bench mounted rcbs primer is holding me back for my purposes, but it could for other venues. I only use my press mounted priming arm for pistol ammo these days.
Posted By: boomer68 Re: Favorite priming tool - 05/25/20
Currently using the Frankford Arsenal hand priming tool. Very nice!
Posted By: lightman Re: Favorite priming tool - 05/25/20
I've used the Sinclair tool for several years.
Posted By: hanco Re: Favorite priming tool - 05/26/20
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

How do you feed it?

I have one of these but prefer the RCBS hand held.
I was somewhere last week and saw a hand primer by Hornady that looked like the old round Lee tool.
Did the buy the rights to the design?
Anyone know?
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Favorite priming tool - 05/28/20
Lee Ergo-Prime.
Posted By: ERK Re: Favorite priming tool - 05/28/20
Nothing wrong with the old Lees. Ed k
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Favorite priming tool - 05/28/20
I started using the press tool but went to the Lee hand prime tool.

Now i use the RCBS bench tool and find it faster and seems to have a good feel when seating primers.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Favorite priming tool - 05/28/20

RCBS bench top

fast & effective

Best $100 you'll spend on reloading tools
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Favorite priming tool - 05/28/20
That's the way I'm leaning.
Posted By: 358WCF Re: Favorite priming tool - 05/29/20
Count me as another vote for the RCBS bench tool. Mine's 25 or so years old too with no problems ever. Sometimes the last one or two primers in the tube dont end up in the cup right, but it's always when I'm hurrying.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Favorite priming tool - 05/29/20

Originally Posted by 358WCF
Count me as another vote for the RCBS bench tool. Mine's 25 or so years old too with no problems ever. Sometime's the last one or two primers in the tube dont end up in the cup right, but it's always when I'm hurrying.

I have found that when primers don’t seem to fit in the cup right, that the plunger has loosened a little. Every once in awhile I will pull the shroud down and tighten the plunger. I keep a large head decapping pin handy or a small Allen wrench which fits the hole in the plunger. Give it a little tweak and all is well.
Posted By: 358WCF Re: Favorite priming tool - 05/29/20

Originally Posted by 358WCF
Count me as another vote for the RCBS bench tool. Mine's 25 or so years old too with no problems ever. Sometime's the last one or two primers in the tube dont end up in the cup right, but it's always when I'm hurrying.

I have found that when primers don’t seem to fit in the cup right, that the plunger has loosened a little. Every once in awhile I will pull the shroud down and tighten the plunger. I keep a large head decapping pin handy or a small Allen wrench which fits the hole in the plunger. Give it a little tweak and all is well.

Thanks Swifty, Just checked the plunger for looseness. It was still tight. I'm pretty sure it's the loose screw behind the lever. The offending primers stand on their sides or just fail to feed when I'm moving too fast. It's a hobby... a pastime. If I go slow but steady it works flawlessly.
I use an old Lee AutoPrime. It’s a great priming tool, but it’s a bit dangerous too! I will never change unless I run out of parts. They stopped making them long ago.
Posted By: Dave_Skinner Re: Favorite priming tool - 06/04/20
Does the automatic primer feed on a Dillon 650 qualify as a priming tool? I just it "just for priming" sometimes. Great feel and speed.
© 24hourcampfire