Home
Posted By: mark shubert stupid, - 02/28/21
or at least, uninformed question.
Guys, I haven't used anything but lead shot in years (no need)
Now, I find myself wanting to use a shotgun on coyotes.
I know steel shot will damage my old shotguns (and they're all old - Mossberg 500 is the newest)
What is suggested for this application - other than a new shotgun?
I've been out of the large shot shotgun loop for a LOT of years. smile
Posted By: RIO7 Re: stupid, - 02/28/21

Mark, I use #4 buckshot it's lead and does a good job on coyotes, my shoot guns are old also .. RIO7
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: stupid, - 02/28/21
#3 or #4 buck will get it done.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: stupid, - 02/28/21
Yep. I prefer # 4 buck in my old Shotguns.
Posted By: blammer Re: stupid, - 02/28/21
no need for steel for yotes... unless....?
Posted By: Beretta_Shooter916 Re: stupid, - 03/01/21
When I shotgun coyotes I also always used #4 buck. Was in a gunshop last year and they had a box of 3" Federal LEAD BB. Picked it up with the intent of trying it on some yotes. Will see how that works
Posted By: RIO7 Re: stupid, - 03/01/21

My all time favorite for coyotes was #4 2 3/4" lead duck loads, they would kick a coyotes butt at 50 yrds . Rio7
Posted By: Hubert Re: stupid, - 03/02/21
#5 is my do anything size shot.. I love it.
Posted By: MOGC Re: stupid, - 03/03/21
Just went over this in detail in the Predator Hunting forum. It's a couple pages back "Shotgun for coyote."
Posted By: erich Re: stupid, - 03/05/21
I use 1 1/4oz Nickel Plated BB's in my 2 3/4" 12ga combo guns and 1 oz of the same in my 2 1/2" 16ga drillings.

16ga drilling 44 yards
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

12ga combo 52 yards.

16ga drilling 39 yards

All shotgunned, with having the rifle barrel handy I don't have to reach far with the shotgun barrels and the loads are easy on the old guns and shooter.

If I'm restricted to just the shotgun I use a Rem 870 Turkey gun with 3" Rem HD BB's, 3" Dead Coyote(stock up when I find them cheap), 3" NP "F" or NP BB hand loads. I rarely ever have to rely on the shotgun only.
Posted By: Jethro15 Re: stupid, - 07/20/21
Stick with 4 buck and play with some different powder and wad combinations.
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: stupid, - 07/24/21
Originally Posted by Hubert

I am very fond of #5 shot. Plated shot is even better.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: stupid, - 08/01/21

#1 buck.

Longer range reach.
Posted By: SnoozingBasset Re: stupid, - 08/07/21
If you must use steel, Briley recently advertised that you can shoot steel through pre-steel shot barrels if you have their chokes
Posted By: dale06 Re: stupid, - 10/06/21
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Originally Posted by Hubert

I am very fond of #5 shot. Plated shot is even better.

Have you guys killed a lot of coyotes with #5 shot?
A few times when pheasant hunting I’ve jumped a coyote and shot it with #5 shot. But I would definitely not consider it my go to coyote load. Coyotes need #2, BB, OR better yet, #4 buck shot for a fast clean kill..
Posted By: Masshunter Re: stupid, - 10/11/21
I've killed a few coyotes with turkey loads when they came in real close while turkey hunting. That said, stick with BB or larger if you are hunting them, pound for pound they are pretty tough. Going out to hunt them with #5 shot would be like going pheasant hunting with #9 skeet loads.
Posted By: Beretta_Shooter916 Re: stupid, - 10/11/21
My friend asked me to help him thin out some yotes on his farm. Told me no rifles.

I went thru my shotgun shell stash and found a box of Federal 3" lead BB. Put in an Improved Mod choke in my Beretta 390 and said what the hell.

Only called in one dog so the sample size is small but at 40 yds it was quick and messy
Posted By: Jstocks Re: stupid, - 11/01/21
I would think some TSS in anything from BB to #4’s would be ideal for yotes. I’ve shot an d killed them stone cold dead from 30 yards with tss #9’s and a head shot.
Posted By: Jstocks Re: stupid, - 11/01/21
I would think with BB in tss, 100 yards shots would not be outside the attainable range with the right gun/choke combo.
Posted By: hh4whiskey Re: stupid, - 11/02/21
There was a thread on the TSS page with some good info experience with #2 TSS (I think) on coyotes. It might have been #5 TSS…..which would more than be enough to way long for a shotgun. If I’m shotgunning FOR coyotes, I’ve used everything from #4 lead to 00 buck, depending. I’ve killed them with tons of 12 & 20 turkey loads and even #8 20ga dove loads, when hunting other stuff. I’ve even given one a face full of bismuth #4s at 15 yards, which did kill him….but not right away. Bottom line? Lead #2s, BBs or #4 buck would be good places to start, and pick the one that patterned best.
Posted By: pullit Re: stupid, - 11/02/21
It would not hurt my feelings to run TSS for yotes, that stuff will get the job done for sure.
Posted By: urbaneruralite Re: stupid, - 11/03/21
You can use heavier than lead in a 500 if the choke is rated for it. Beware TSS will score a barrel if it gets loose from the wad. It will beat up a tight choke regardless. Doesn't seem to affect choke performance.
Posted By: Crappie_Killer Re: stupid, - 11/04/21
I’m a huge fan of #4 buck for coyotes. HUGE
Posted By: barnabus Re: stupid, - 12/31/21
use #4 buckshot from hornady for yotes. they sell 5lbs for about $35
© 24hourcampfire