Home
Posted By: TNRock Is it worth loading 20 gauge? - 09/07/22
With the scarcity and price of 20 gauge ammo now is it worth loading? I may shoot 3 cases a year at dove and crow, and another case at small game.
Been loading 20's for 55 years. 3 flats a year is prolly 5 to 10 times what the average schmuck uses yearly. Keep it simple the Mec 600 jr will load 100 to 125 rounds an hr. Some call it idiot work but I find it a relaxing and productive way to use my skill , knowledge, and abilities to save a few bucks while doing what I enjoy. Back when you could buy 7/8 oz loads for $6/ box is one thing but cheapest 20's I've seen lately are $10/box. You have been keeping your hulls I hope?..mb
Been loading 20s for 30 plus years and have components to finish out my life. I enjoy it and bought the components long ago, so financially it’s a good deal. But I’d do it if it was break even or worse.
if you like to be self sufficient, yes, from a cost perspective, it is about a wash
You can break it down easy. Factory dove loads for a 20 run at $10/ box. With the components I have accumulated over my life I can load them for 3.50/ box with the components of today off the shelf maybe $7-8/ box. Thing is like Dale 06 we've been buying stuff that was good deals for years accumulating it. You can't go back in time and pick up 5000 1 oz power pistons for $50 for your 20 like I did, you have to do it initially with off the shelf prices. Reloading is a necessary hobby for me and isn't for everybody. One thing for sure factory ammo will never be cheap again from what I can see...mb
I load all my centerfire, as well as my tss turkey loads, but I roll crimp those so I can't reuse the hulls. I've been saving my federal tip gun and field and target hulls. From what I understand they are a cheddite hull? I've seen some load data for 1 oz loads at 1300 fps and that will satisfy me for everything I do, just have to change shot sizes
For years and years the 1 oz express load for the 20ga has been 2 3/4 dram equivalent which is 1220 fps and the field load 1.oz 2 1/2 dram equivalent at 1165 fps. Some of the ammo makers have come up with some real hammer loads at 1300+ fps. Don't know how they get those velocities with out max pressures. Maybe Longshot powder but sounds to me like a good way to beat a gun to death. Was a time a few years back Federal got some 12ga hulls from cheddite for their Estate line of shot shells in 12 ga. I believe all the Fed 20 ga hulls are reifenhauser straight wall hulls with rolled paper base wads of their own make. Old style had a thick case mouth and 6 star crimp, the newer ones have a skived case mouth and are 8 star. You need to buy a Lyman shotshell reloading manual and do some reading to see what is possible. Good luck..mb
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
For years and years the 1 oz express load for the 20ga has been 2 3/4 dram equivalent which is 1220 fps and the field load 1.oz 2 1/2 dram equivalent at 1165 fps. Some of the ammo makers have come up with some real hammer loads at 1300+ fps. Don't know how they get those velocities with out max pressures. Maybe Longshot powder but sounds to me like a good way to beat a gun to death. Was a time a few years back Federal got some 12ga hulls from cheddite for their Estate line of shot shells in 12 ga. I believe all the Fed 20 ga hulls are reifenhauser straight wall hulls with rolled paper base wads of their own make. Old style had a thick case mouth and 6 star crimp, the newer ones have a skived case mouth and are 8 star. You need to buy a Lyman shotshell reloading manual and do some reading to see what is possible. Good luck..mb

The hulls now, have a plastic base wad.
Do yours all have plastic base wads ? Or do you have a mix? I'd separate them if they were mine.
Do yours all have plastic base wads ? Or do you have a mix? I'd separate them if they were mine.

As of right now all have a plastic basewad
I do simply because I can load the shot sizes I want.....usually #5 shot. Also, I've the equipment for 46 years.
You can break it down easy. Factory dove loads for a 20 run at $10/ box. With the components I have accumulated over my life I can load them for 3.50/ box with the components of today off the shelf maybe $7-8/ box. Thing is like Dale 06 we've been buying stuff that was good deals for years accumulating it. You can't go back in time and pick up 5000 1 oz power pistons for $50 for your 20 like I did, you have to do it initially with off the shelf prices. Reloading is a necessary hobby for me and isn't for everybody. One thing for sure factory ammo will never be cheap again from what I can see...mb

And I believe the days of decent priced components (if you can find them) is in our rear view mirror.
Dale I believe your right for the most part. 2 week ends a go I hit a gunshow and scored a 25 lb bag of WW # 4 chilled shot for 35 bucks. I find odd bags of wads here and there, and powder is where you find it. Same show I scored (3 ) 8 oz containers of Alcan AL 5 for $4 ea. Big thing in my book is load data for a lot of these older components. In the op's case he sounds like he would be better off buying new shells as his 1 oz a 1300 fps is unrealistic...mb
Right now I can still load 20 gauge for less than I can buy them but in the near future that will change as my older components will run out. If you have to buy shot and primers at todays prices I can't see loading standard 2 3/4" shells being cheaper than buying them. I will continue to load my short 16 and 12 gauge shells because it cost a lot more to buy them mail order and they are impossible to find where I live.
Dale I believe your right for the most part. 2 week ends a go I hit a gunshow and scored a 25 lb bag of WW # 4 chilled shot for 35 bucks. I find odd bags of wads here and there, and powder is where you find it. Same show I scored (3 ) 8 oz containers of Alcan AL 5 for $4 ea. Big thing in my book is load data for a lot of these older components. In the op's case he sounds like he would be better off buying new shells as his 1 oz a 1300 fps is unrealistic...mb

Hodgon data shows ot to be very realistic.
For 7/8 oz didn't see any 1 oz loads that fast.
My 3/4 oz 20s are at about $5.25/box, using current replacement values. Last club buy, 7/8 oz 20s, was $8.50/box.

A 1 oz Longshot load off my press would set me back $7.50/box.....and that using Eagle shot.
Here is one example.

Attached picture Screenshot_20220910-063542_Chrome.jpg
Maybe if you want to be certain of a long-term supply, but I can’t see trying to get started under current conditions. I shoot 50-75 shotshells a week, and as long as I can get ammo for $10-$12 a box, I’m content staying ahead of my needs with factory.

When I started shooting clays last year, finding shells was tough. Now decent target loads can be found online and locally for $10 pretty much all the time.

I have no idea where I would setup a loading outfit. A third of my basement is already devoted to metallic cartridge loading and gun tinkering.
For 7/8 oz didn't see any 1 oz loads that fast.

Federal has a 1350fps 1ounce 20 gauge...
Originally Posted by TNRock
With the scarcity and price of 20 gauge ammo now is it worth loading? I may shoot 3 cases a year at dove and crow, and another case at small game.

Yes, If you keep it up for more than a few years. Yes, if you stock up on components and not have to worry about what you can find when you want it.

Decent target loads and hunting loads can be different situations. Especially if Non-tox is a requirement. You will have a hard time buying non-tax that isn't steel under $40 a box. And you best buy it when it is available. And lead is not going to be an option in the not too distant future.

Current hunting load reality check....Be sure to check out the hunting loads and especially the non-tox.

https://www.federalpremium.com/shotshell/
© 24hourcampfire