Home
Posted By: Monkeymaster 20 ga sabot reloads - 09/22/22
Hello
Was trying to find some 20ga loads for 2 3/4" hulls, using 250 grain .452 pistol bullets or 250 grain muzzle loading bullets in a 20 gauge, with a rifled barrel.

Can't seem to find much for information, but I may be typing in all the wrong words.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: 20 ga sabot reloads - 09/23/22
All I've seen utilized the Lyman mould. It would be nice to find something I could use with 45 caliber bullets but I haven't seen anything either.
Posted By: Monkeymaster Re: 20 ga sabot reloads - 09/23/22
I just "found" and bought, some 250 grain sst Hornady 2 3/4 sabot shells for 15.00 per box of 5.
These will be used this season.
I will, by next fall, have tried some reloaded by me sabot shells, to see if there is an alternative.
I am hoping someone has a load or two I could start with.
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: 20 ga sabot reloads - 09/27/22
The sabots are out there, but for the life of me I can't remember the website. I was just getting into sabot shooting for a hunt on a federal reservation that that was shotgun only. Ice storm cancelled the hunt and reservation later went muzzleloader also, so I stuck the 20 gauge slug barrel in the closet and forgot about it. Good luck on the search.
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: 20 ga sabot reloads - 09/28/22
https://www.ballisticproducts.com/ - These folks have the most info I know of on the subject.

https://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/12-ga-shotgun-slugs.334592/ - Bushcraft USA alsohas a broad ranging thread on the subject you may find interesting.
Posted By: Monkeymaster Re: 20 ga sabot reloads - 09/29/22
Thank you for the information.
They have some items that I am interested in.
Any more information is appreciated.
Thanks again
Posted By: Papag Re: 20 ga sabot reloads - 02/14/23
Try American Slug Shooters Assn, if they are still operational. A club with a quest for slug accuracy.
Posted By: Blackfly1 Re: 20 ga sabot reloads - 02/16/23
Thanks, it looks like they aren't operating. I found their website and it's for sale. But thanks for the lead.
Bfly
Posted By: blammer Re: 20 ga sabot reloads - 02/22/23
a 3 d printer and you can print your own sabots for your slugs.

finding the correct filament for the job is some trick.

another suggestion is to use a FULL bore slug in your rifled barrel.

I find that they work the best for me.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: 20 ga sabot reloads - 09/16/23
Has anyone tried a 58 cal muzzle leader bullet in a bird shot wad like a regular wwaa20? It looks like it might be a pretty close fit inside the wad peddles. I have a 58 cal Thompson big boar but I haven't shot it in years I'll have to dig out my muzzle loading stuff and do some measuring.

Bb
Posted By: Blackfly1 Re: 20 ga sabot reloads - 09/17/23
Not much out there for 20 bore. There is a buckshot and slug reloaders group on Facebook. I would be extremely cautious with there info, some of them play fast and loose with mix and match, a bit dangerous.
The Lyman shotshell manual is a good source of info. Ballistic Products sells supplies and manuals. Their manuals are limited to products they sell.

Bfly
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: 20 ga sabot reloads - 09/18/23
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Has anyone tried a 58 cal muzzle leader bullet in a bird shot wad like a regular wwaa20? It looks like it might be a pretty close fit inside the wad peddles. I have a 58 cal Thompson big boar but I haven't shot it in years I'll have to dig out my muzzle loading stuff and do some measuring.

Bb

Longtime ago a guy gave me an old Hercules powder container full of 54 cal muzzle loading balls that he had cast. He tried to use them and figured out in a hurry why all commercial balls are pure lead no getting those with tin and antimony down a front stuffer. Well I figured to recast them into pistol bullets but never got around to it but they were nagging me just sitting there. Right at .529" & 219 grs. Was loading 20 ga one day when the idea came to me 2.balls was an ounce and I have an enormous qty of Remington SP-20 wads. Used Lee powder dippers on the Grex buffer some under the 1st ball twice as much over it then seat the second ball and six star crimp. The pay load weight was over an.ounce and under 1 1/8 oz. Plenty of powders in the Lyman 3rd edn used for 2 3/4" 20 short mags ". So you on your own there. I made up a test batch and used my old m870 express with a skeet tube in it. 20 yds paper plate on the back stop. 1 st shot 2 53 cal holes near the ctr of the plate. Hull ejected easy (federal) primer show normal pressure flow. So I shot 4 more same target result was 10 53 cal holes in a 5 inch group at 2o yds. My back stop is a 3 by 3 foot sand sand box 2' tall faced with creosote soaked rr ties. Those 53 cal balls penetrated to 5-6" my buddies Saiga 12 ga riot gun 12 ga shoots 9 pellet 00 buck pretty tight at the same range but of the 9 per load some bounce off and rest get less than 1/2" penetration. I 've shot a lot of birds and skeet with that old m870 20 ga express so I can make it sing it's own tune. Now when you stick 4 of those loads in the mag and 1 in the chamber your ready for all boarders or intruders. I can empty that gun in less than 4 seconds with 10 53 cal balls all on a paper plate at 30 yds. No charge for the idea it's offered for free..mb ps (the balls don't go thru a charge bar)
Posted By: tdd4570 Re: 20 ga sabot reloads - 10/24/23
Hit Youtube and search 20 gauge slug loads.

You can watch videos for hours, but there is some good info.
© 24hourcampfire