Home
Posted By: Partsman Going to load 20 and 16 gauge - 10/17/22
So got my 16 gauge sxs with a set of 28" Barrels and a set of 19" barrels and now have a 20 gauge coach gun coming with 20" barrels, so going to try reloading for them.

May even try some buckshot or slugs, not sure yet.
Good deal. I just reloaded some 16 ga late last week and was hunting with it late yesterday evening.

I'm using the Lee Load-all. I realize it's not metal and the mec is better, but I've had the lee for a couple of years now and it's still going. It's paid for itself already in what I've saved doing my own. Plus I have a lot more freedom to make what I want, when I want.

Buckshot is pretty easy. Harder to get 16 ga slug molds without making one yourself. Lyman has a 20 ga slug mold, but expect to pay about $100 for it.
All my presses for shotguns are lee load alls, 12, 16 and 20 gauge.
Nothing wrong with a Lee after you get the hang of it. There are no set stops and adjustments to make. The crimp starter and finish crimp are by feel. I messed up several of the first cases I used the Load All 2 on, but soon figured it out. I have gone on to MEC and Pacific reloaders, but I do not regret the purchase of the Lees.
I load four gauges, all on MEC Sizemasters. I have used them for 10-30 years, depending on the gauge. They work quite well.
I've loaded with Lee's and they went bang ..but even the cheapest (still noticeably higher than Lee ) is way better then Lee . It has all the different adjustments and crimp adjustments and everything that work much better for making better ammo. A good uniform even cramp helps keep the shells more uniform in velocity . I've got the progressive 9000 and 12 and 20 in a single stage 28 Mec.
© 24hourcampfire