Home
Posted By: LouieM 1 oz 20 ga load - 03/21/23
Anybody got a recipe for AA hulls with 20/28 or other available powders?
Posted By: MickinColo Re: 1 oz 20 ga load - 03/22/23
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: MickinColo Re: 1 oz 20 ga load - 03/22/23
Alliant Powder has a reloading guide, https://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/index.aspx
Posted By: bobski Re: 1 oz 20 ga load - 03/27/23
wow. they still make herco!? thats been around for a while.
Posted By: bobski Re: 1 oz 20 ga load - 03/27/23
wow. they still make herco!? thats been around for a while.
Posted By: MickinColo Re: 1 oz 20 ga load - 03/27/23
Looking at their website, Herco is still in their catalog.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: 1 oz 20 ga load - 03/28/23
I've used the 1 oz Herco load in the 20 with good results..mb
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: 1 oz 20 ga load - 03/28/23
I am using Blue Dot in 1 ounce 20 gauge loads. Problem is that 1 ounce wads are scarce. The WAA 20F1 wad has been discontinued for years and the Rem SP20 wad seemingly not in production. I have about 100 of the SP20 wads left.
Posted By: Mike_S Re: 1 oz 20 ga load - 03/30/23
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
I am using Blue Dot in 1 ounce 20 gauge loads. Problem is that 1 ounce wads are scarce. The WAA 20F1 wad has been discontinued for years and the Rem SP20 wad seemingly not in production. I have about 100 of the SP20 wads left.

I found 2 bags of SP20 wads recently at a lgs.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: 1 oz 20 ga load - 03/30/23

How many bags of Federal 20 ga S1 7/8 oz wads you have to trade for 20 ga SP 1 oz wads? Bag for bag. Mb
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: 1 oz 20 ga load - 03/31/23
I see a lot of Longshot still available around here. It's my go to for 12 gauge hunting loads and I've seen some good data on hodgdons site for 20 gauge loads too.

I'm currently trying to do a light 20 gauge load for my 7 year old. I just found a can of win super handicap today and the data says it will run a 3/4 ounce load at 1150 fps at around 9000 pressure. That should be enough pressure to burn reliably without much blast.

Once I get this light load worked out I'll be looking for a heavier 1 ounce field load for my 11 year to hunt with. That's how I noticed the Longshot loads. I always have Longshot on hand and use it in a lot of pistol loads too.

Bb
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: 1 oz 20 ga load - 03/31/23
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

How many bags of Federal 20 ga S1 7/8 oz wads you have to trade for 20 ga SP 1 oz wads? Bag for bag. Mb

I don't have any Federal wads. My only other 20 gauge wad is the Claybuster clone of the Winchester AA20.
Posted By: Sagerunner Re: 1 oz 20 ga load - 04/22/23
Tag , looking for a good 7/8 or 1 Oz load for turkey. Can't seem to find anything in the " nitro" speed !
Posted By: bonepoint Re: 1 oz 20 ga load - 07/19/23
Originally Posted by Sagerunner
Tag , looking for a good 7/8 or 1 Oz load for turkey. Can't seem to find anything in the " nitro" speed !

Longshot is your best bet for speed. 1300 FPS is max for 1 oz loads, and supposed to have a straight wall hull for that. 1250 FPS is max with other powders.
Posted By: MickinColo Re: 1 oz 20 ga load - 07/19/23
what I use in the wife's 20 gauge is 1 oz #6 shot with 17.0 gr of 800X, Rem SP20 and AA Winchester.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: 1 oz 20 ga load - 07/25/23
Curious experience some years ago, the result of unexpected improvements in shot patterns. I was doing a lot of clays shooting with a Beretta O/U 12 ga and in the interest of saving money decided to try some 7/8th oz shot cups. It was a huge success, and after a little bit of investigation discovered that my IC choke was shooting close to FC patterns. Head scratcher that was. Dug a little deeper and found that chokes are not the only thing that influence pattern density. Another influence has to do with the length of the shot column. In short, the closer to square dimensions, ie., column diameter vs column length, the denser the pattern will be. Well, a 7/8 oz load from a 12 ga is close to square, and there you have the explanation. Not only did it work with the various clays games, it was also quite effective with quail and dove.

I no longer bow to the heavier shot weight gods.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 1 oz 20 ga load - 07/25/23
Gotta admit I tend to shoot heavier loads for clays, and up the shot size to get (hopefully) similar pattern density with a better chance to break the tough rabbits and long shots. We recover the unbroken birds after shooting and a heck of a lot have holes, chips and skid marks.
Posted By: MarknMaggie Re: 1 oz 20 ga load - 07/26/23
Ballistic Products has a lot of information. What wads do you have, if any? What velocity are you seeking? The fastest loads use Hodgdon Lil'Gun. Second is Alliant Steel, then Longshot.
Posted By: MarknMaggie Re: 1 oz 20 ga load - 07/26/23
Alliant list a 1200fps, 1 oz AA load with 20/28, 16.5gr, Win209, RXP20 wad at 11.6k psi.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: 1 oz 20 ga load - 07/27/23
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Curious experience some years ago, the result of unexpected improvements in shot patterns. I was doing a lot of clays shooting with a Beretta O/U 12 ga and in the interest of saving money decided to try some 7/8th oz shot cups. It was a huge success, and after a little bit of investigation discovered that my IC choke was shooting close to FC patterns. Head scratcher that was. Dug a little deeper and found that chokes are not the only thing that influence pattern density. Another influence has to do with the length of the shot column. In short, the closer to square dimensions, ie., column diameter vs column length, the denser the pattern will be. Well, a 7/8 oz load from a 12 ga is close to square, and there you have the explanation. Not only did it work with the various clays games, it was also quite effective with quail and dove.

I no longer bow to the heavier shot weight gods.
I have found also how effective 7/8oz of 9's are on 16's and 1 st bird doubles. With a mod choke they smoke ball 16's..mb
© 24hourcampfire