Home
I know that there are some powders that Winchester and Hodgdon sell that are identical, i.e. W231 and HP38. I read some time ago about the comparison between W540 and W571 and Hodgdon HS6 and HS7. Are these the same powders? I have some older powders that I am trying to use up, like Win 473AA, 452AA, AA20S, and I have worked up handgun loads for these pretty easily.
Ah, found out elsewhere that is correct, 540=HS-6, 571=HS-7
452 is the same as trap 100, 540=HS6, 571=HS7
I have read on several web sites that HP-38 and W231 are the same powder and if you go through Hodgdon web site, you will find that the two powders have the same identical specs for a given load. W231 is kinda hard to come by around here but HP-38 seem pretty abundant and a bit cheaper.In my experience also they both are identical.
I had read that WW760 and H414 were the same. I've seen slightly different load data for the two, so I'm not sure. I found this on line.

DF

"Both H414 and Winchester 760 powder are identical twins with different names, and therefore the load data is identical for both. "Both powders" are made on the same production line in St. Marks Florida plant. The key words are "Distributed by Hodgdons Powder Company.

It gets even more complicated............

70% of Remington-DuPont IMR powders are made in Australian by ADI a French owned company and 30% of the Remington-DuPont IMR line of powders are made in Canada by General Dynamics Weapons Division.

As you can see above the entire Winchester line of powders is made by St Marks which is also owned by General Dynamics Weapons Division."

[Linked Image]
Interesting stuff. Remember the days when these crossovers were either outright denied (not necessarily by the companies, but rather those who were looked to for knowledgable information) or else hemmed and hawed against? What changed?
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Interesting stuff. Remember the days when these crossovers were either outright denied (not necessarily by the companies, but rather those who were looked to for knowledgable information) or else hemmed and hawed against? What changed?

They're now "out of the closet", I guess...

Could be a sign of the times...

DF
Winchester 296 = H110, pistol powder used in Magnums (357,...)
© 24hourcampfire