Home
Posted By: butchlambert1 Plastic BBs - 02/12/19
Are they produced in shot shells. We need to get rid of feral dogs and cats,
Posted By: erich Re: Plastic BBs - 02/13/19
I don't know that but there is rubber buckshot that the cops use/used for crowd control
Posted By: erich Re: Plastic BBs - 02/13/19
Here is a link to rubber 12ga bullets.

https://www.keepshooting.com/12ga-rubber-bullets.html

Rubber buckshot

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...-00-rubber-buckshot-15-pellets-box-of-25

Just Google "Rubber Buckshot for sale" and a number of things will come up
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Plastic BBs - 02/13/19
Originally Posted by erich
Here is a link to rubber 12ga bullets.

https://www.keepshooting.com/12ga-rubber-bullets.html

Rubber buckshot

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...-00-rubber-buckshot-15-pellets-box-of-25

Just Google "Rubber Buckshot for sale" and a number of things will come up

Thank you, I will check it out. Don't know how she will do shooting a 12 ga. It would be nice if they were in a smaller bore.
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Plastic BBs - 02/13/19
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

No, and the only "less lethal" ammo I know of is made in 12 ga only.

I would not bother with less lethal for feral animals, it doesn't do anything to rid them. Stinging them with plastic pellets only teaches them to be more wary and run at the slightest disturbance. The critters will still return.

Standard shotshells of #4 lead shot or one of the heavier than lead loads would be my first choice for something smaller than a 12 ga. I would prefer a 22 mag or a rifle chambered for a pistol cartridge but a shotgun would do fine.
Posted By: RayF Re: Plastic BBs - 02/14/19
How about using the Aguila minis or reloading a reduced number of larger shot (#1B - 00B) over a skeet powder load? Six 50gr pellets leaving the muzzle at 1100-1200fps should penetrate well out to 10-15yds and keep the flyers in your zip code with little recoil.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Plastic BBs - 02/14/19
I will keep you informed.
Thanks
Posted By: PaleRider Re: Plastic BBs - 02/16/19
Posted By: 348winchester Re: Plastic BBs - 02/19/19
I have several boxes of Lightfield rubber pellet loads in 12 and 20 ga I'm willing to off load. PM me
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Plastic BBs - 02/19/19
Originally Posted by 348winchester
I have several boxes of Lightfield rubber pellet loads in 12 and 20 ga I'm willing to off load. PM me

Thanks, she has dusted them with 22 mag birdshot. We'll see how long before they are back.
Posted By: Offshoreman Re: Plastic BBs - 02/20/19
Butch, why not load some coarse salt - or even regular salt depending on the range.
Posted By: whackem_stackem Re: Plastic BBs - 02/20/19
Originally Posted by Offshoreman
Butch, why not load some coarse salt - or even regular salt depending on the range.

Shooting salt out of a shotgun is one of the dumbest myths that just will not die. I can't believe that people that supposedly know anything about firearms believe that it could actually work.
When fired the acceleration of the wad turns the salt into dust and all you get is a cloud of white dust out of the end of the barrel. If it doesn't pulverize the rocks, the rocks have so little mass that they have no energy to do any harm. My god, the wad will put more of a hurt on someone than the salt.
Posted By: Snyper Re: Plastic BBs - 02/22/19

Use a 22 and make head shots,
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Plastic BBs - 02/22/19
Originally Posted by Snyper

Use a 22 and make head shots,

I'll mention that to her.
Posted By: Offshoreman Re: Plastic BBs - 02/23/19
Have you ever actually shot rock salt? I have, and it works when loaded in a shot cup at around 700-800fps. I mentioned it as his intent was as pest deterrent, not a kill shot. Having said that, he can also buy as small as #12 lead shot.
Posted By: Yondering Re: Plastic BBs - 02/28/19
Originally Posted by Offshoreman
Have you ever actually shot rock salt? I have, and it works when loaded in a shot cup at around 700-800fps. I mentioned it as his intent was as pest deterrent, not a kill shot. Having said that, he can also buy as small as #12 lead shot.

Yep, it works for the intended purpose. It's not supposed to be capable long distance.

To the OP's question - I have loaded 12 gauge shotshells with plastic airsoft BBs. It can work fine as a pest deterrent, such as teaching the neighbor's mutt to stop pooping in your yard, but it's not effective at killing anything if that's your goal. I've used them most at basically airsoft velocity (you can see them in flight) with very small charges of fast powder; that can make a very quiet load. Removing the cushion from the wad helps a lot with consistency, since those plastic pellets don't offer much resistance, and it increases capacity by quite a bit as well. The terminal effect is essentially just like a bunch of simultaneous hits from an airsoft gun - it'll leave some red welts on bare skin but that's about it, except at very close range.
Posted By: Hawk_Driver Re: Plastic BBs - 03/04/19
Bump to clear spam off of the homepage
© 24hourcampfire