Home

Paper hulls. Anybody still use these?

Posted By: muleshoe

Paper hulls. Anybody still use these? - 02/10/20

I came across a bunch of them going thru dad's stuff. I remember when I was a kid I loved loading the paper hulls. Does anyone still use these?
Posted By: Whelenman

Re: Paper hulls. Anybody still use these? - 02/11/20

I used to load those when I was a kid. I remember sometimes looking at them and seeing pinholes all around the brass! Know it gives me chills!
Posted By: Just a Hunter

I have a box of 16 ga paper shells my dad gave me 40 years ago. Have the 16 ga he gave me, but never could bring myself to shoot those shells.

I guess my next question is, does anybody want these? 12ga
Posted By: woodmaster81

I shoot a flat of Federal papers every year and reload the empties for my field loads when I use a semiauto or pump gun. They do not leave as long lasting mess as plastic hulls if I can't retrieve them.

I have quite a few old factory loaded paper hull shotshells around, I use some of them for various types of hunting. The scuffed and faded ones do not have much collector value so I don't mind shooting them. Those that are near new looking are taken care of as some collectors look for them to fill out a box. Value in money isn't much but one can usually trade for a much higher value. It is where I get many of my "shooter" shells.
Posted By: doubletap

I bought 6 cases of Federal paper hulls. The smell when I fire them reminds me of hunting when I was a kid. Unfortunately, they started getting pin holes after the second firing. Probably won’t get any more.
Posted By: catnthehat

I load them on a regular basis for my vintage guns, a dealer that shoots federal papers for trap saves his hulls for me. They are only good for a couple of loads though as was mentioned.
Sure are fun, though!
Cat
Posted By: stevelyn

Re: Paper hulls. Anybody still use these? - 02/17/20

I like paper hulls for field loads. They're great for up around my up north house, but I wouldn't use them down here in this salt-air, rain-soaked blowhole. I acquired a bag Cheddite paper hulls earlier this past fall, but I haven't loaded any up yet.
Posted By: claybreaker762

Re: Paper hulls. Anybody still use these? - 02/19/20

I collect old paper hulls and loaded shells. Would be glad to pay shipping and a little something for them if you have something I dont have already. You can email me at [email protected] . Thanks JD
Posted By: dale06

Re: Paper hulls. Anybody still use these? - 02/22/20

I have a few 20 ga paper hulls. Most are Fed yellow, but have some old green Rem, and red Win paper 20 ga. I load and shoot them in a SxS 20 ga that I use hunting doves.
Loaded a lot of them back in the 1960, in 12 and 16 ga.
They sure smell good, freshly fired.
Posted By: gomerdog

Re: Paper hulls. Anybody still use these? - 03/05/20

Muleshoe:

Did you ever get rid of these hulls?

Re: Paper hulls. Anybody still use these? - 03/06/20

Oh shoot, sorry guys I ran off and forgot all about this thread when it sounded like not much interest in paper existed anymore.

I'll count up what I have and brand(s). Somebody PM me if you want them. I'll send them to you and you send me the postage and we'll call it good.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob

I am interested in getting some more 12 ga 1 fired Fed paper hulls and will pay the postage. send me a PM MB
Posted By: jorgeI

I use them in a vintage Ithaca NID my FIL gave me and I had restored by Diamond Gunsmithing. Love the smell!
Posted By: stevelyn

Re: Paper hulls. Anybody still use these? - 03/20/20

Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
I am interested in getting some more 12 ga 1 fired Fed paper hulls and will pay the postage. send me a PM MB

I just ordered 400 once-fired Federals from Precision Reloading last week.

Re: Paper hulls. Anybody still use these? - 03/23/20

Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

Sorry Bob, I kinda forgot about this again.

These papers went to Florida a couple weeks ago.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob

Re: Paper hulls. Anybody still use these? - 03/23/20

HEY MULESHOE no problem at all,thanks for the thought. MB
© 2020 24hourcampfire