Home
I came across a bunch of them going thru dad's stuff. I remember when I was a kid I loved loading the paper hulls. Does anyone still use these?
I used to load those when I was a kid. I remember sometimes looking at them and seeing pinholes all around the brass! Know it gives me chills!
I have a box of 16 ga paper shells my dad gave me 40 years ago. Have the 16 ga he gave me, but never could bring myself to shoot those shells.
I guess my next question is, does anybody want these? 12ga
I shoot a flat of Federal papers every year and reload the empties for my field loads when I use a semiauto or pump gun. They do not leave as long lasting mess as plastic hulls if I can't retrieve them.

I have quite a few old factory loaded paper hull shotshells around, I use some of them for various types of hunting. The scuffed and faded ones do not have much collector value so I don't mind shooting them. Those that are near new looking are taken care of as some collectors look for them to fill out a box. Value in money isn't much but one can usually trade for a much higher value. It is where I get many of my "shooter" shells.
I bought 6 cases of Federal paper hulls. The smell when I fire them reminds me of hunting when I was a kid. Unfortunately, they started getting pin holes after the second firing. Probably won’t get any more.
I load them on a regular basis for my vintage guns, a dealer that shoots federal papers for trap saves his hulls for me. They are only good for a couple of loads though as was mentioned.
Sure are fun, though!
Cat
I like paper hulls for field loads. They're great for up around my up north house, but I wouldn't use them down here in this salt-air, rain-soaked blowhole. I acquired a bag Cheddite paper hulls earlier this past fall, but I haven't loaded any up yet.
I collect old paper hulls and loaded shells. Would be glad to pay shipping and a little something for them if you have something I dont have already. You can email me at [email protected] . Thanks JD
I have a few 20 ga paper hulls. Most are Fed yellow, but have some old green Rem, and red Win paper 20 ga. I load and shoot them in a SxS 20 ga that I use hunting doves.
Loaded a lot of them back in the 1960, in 12 and 16 ga.
They sure smell good, freshly fired.
Muleshoe:

Did you ever get rid of these hulls?
Oh shoot, sorry guys I ran off and forgot all about this thread when it sounded like not much interest in paper existed anymore.

I'll count up what I have and brand(s). Somebody PM me if you want them. I'll send them to you and you send me the postage and we'll call it good.
I am interested in getting some more 12 ga 1 fired Fed paper hulls and will pay the postage. send me a PM MB
I use them in a vintage Ithaca NID my FIL gave me and I had restored by Diamond Gunsmithing. Love the smell!
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
I am interested in getting some more 12 ga 1 fired Fed paper hulls and will pay the postage. send me a PM MB

I just ordered 400 once-fired Federals from Precision Reloading last week.
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

Sorry Bob, I kinda forgot about this again.

These papers went to Florida a couple weeks ago.
HEY MULESHOE no problem at all,thanks for the thought. MB
Yep nothing like that fired shell smell. Brings back a lot of memories.
Well for a different smell...

I have long used Federal paper hulls for my favored 3 1/8 dram FFFg, 1 1/8 ounce dove loads.
When my father-in-law passed away and we were cleaning out the house my wife found 3-4 boxes of NIB, Winchester, 12 ga., buckshot and slug loads in paper hulls. He was neither a hunter or shooter so I know he bought them years ago when he was a deputy sheriff. I just brought them home and added them to my shelf. A friend who owned a gun shop called me about some very old, Winchester, 16 bore paper hulls he came across in some kind of trade deal. They're roll crimped, kind of a tan color and most are in very good to excellent condition....though the box is roached. I don't shoot or reload paper hulls simply because I don't shoot much shotgun....and I couldn't bring myself to shoot any I have. I do enjoy having them, however. Dad and I loaded piles of them when I was a kid. They do have a distinct, pleasant aroma.
I used to reload Federal papers with windjammer wads and sr7625 for a hammer H&H gun I had. The paper and roll crimp in that combination DRAMATICALLY reduced the pressure. Of course, it belched fire and made my friends laugh at the trap club.
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm

Fresh fired paper shells and Dad's pipe tobacco. I need to quit thinking about it before I get misty.
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm

Loved the paper hulls too.
I used to reload Federal Paper with a 12SO wad and PB powder. It was a beautiful low pressure charge that pattern great and destroyed targets on the skeet range. I think the pressures were in the low 5,000 psi range. These were 7/8 and 1 oz loads. An added bonus was the amazing smell of PB with paper. It brought me back to the 1960's when plastic hulls were new and you get paper target loads at a very low price.
I got some that will be loaded up one of these days.
Sure do. I use papers in my short chambered Auto 5’s
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I used to load a fiber wad load in 12 gauge with once fired Federal paper hulls that was a spreader load. It worked great in a beautiful Hunter Arms Fulton that had 26” barrels and no choke. I had an extra set of barrels for that gun choked modified and full. That load threw genuine mod/full patterns with those fiber loads and the old choke constrictions. Up close on grouse it did a great job with the open barrels and as others have already pointed out, the smell was incredible.
Federal Estate plastic shells smell very similar to papers. They must have worked with the powder to give off the aroma. After about 200 I’ve had enough..

Always funny to watch someone shoot papers around some who have never shot them, and see grown adults with their nose sniffing the open end of an empty.
Originally Posted by battue
Always funny to watch someone shoot papers around some who have never shot them, and see grown adults with their nose sniffing the open end of an empty.

Like us kids in school smelling mimieograph paper getting handed out in classrooms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu3iCvAQCHg
Burning up an oddball pound of IMR Blue in Federal Papers. Feels like blasphamy putting a new fangled powder in a paper wrapper...but it's been discontinued so I guess that makes it all right.
my dad was a trap shooter, he liked to shoot papers in his bt99 he said they kicked less.
I have a paper hull iron on a 12 press, can't tell you the last paper hull I loaded.
© 24hourcampfire