Home
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Just an FYI: - 08/27/20

August 27.

I sent an item to Fiddy of Ca. on the 12th of August. He has not seen it yet. This was USPS, and insured. You might want to keep that in mind when you ship something.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Just an FYI: - 08/27/20
3 weeks from Cheyenne, WY to Powell, WY!

Beat yah!
Posted By: deerhunter5555 Re: Just an FYI: - 08/27/20
I had a rifle sit in a Detroit USPS distribution center for over 3 weeks about a month ago. It finally arrived at Eddies. Good thing I paid for Priority
Posted By: Mike_Dettorre Re: Just an FYI: - 08/27/20
Shipped a rifle July 30th from Boise to NY. Scheduled delivery Aug 6. It arrived Aug 24th. No intermediate tracking scans.
Posted By: BamBam Re: Just an FYI: - 08/27/20
I’ve had a string of bad luck the last six months on sending checks out the guys for stuff. Either they don’t receive the check and I have to send out another one.Pisses me off.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Just an FYI: - 08/27/20
Shipping has been dismal to say the least.
Posted By: CJC73 Re: Just an FYI: - 08/27/20
nothing new... USPS has been running slow all summer due to everything going on. As like others above, I've had two packages sit in spots for 3-5 weeks at a time with no updates. Then it moves and it shows up one day. Now when I mail something priority, the person tells me expected X and X day but it's usually taking longer. I've used FedEx ground a lot lately, pricing is about the same and been quicker.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Just an FYI: - 08/27/20
It has improved somewhat in the past couple weeks--and they're being more honest about when priority stuff might arrive. But it's still not performing like it did before present Postmaster General took over.
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: Just an FYI: - 08/27/20
Originally Posted by Fotis

Beat yah!

You should have used the Pony Express. 😜
Posted By: reivertom Re: Just an FYI: - 08/27/20
I ordered a refrigerator a week and a half ago, and I've still not heard a thing about it even being in transit to our local store.
Posted By: Ducksanddogs Re: Just an FYI: - 08/27/20
I had a package sit in Detroit for almost a month and the only update I got said something like, “This shipment has been delayed indefinitely due to protest activity.”

It finally made it, but it was about a month after the expected delivery date.
Posted By: DANNYL Re: Just an FYI: - 08/27/20
A member shipped me some bullets on 8/25 and I got them today 8/27 from VA. This is not the normal for sure priority or not.
Posted By: Fiddy Re: Just an FYI: - 08/27/20
Originally Posted by Fotis

Beat yah!

Wasn't the SWFA something in the 3-4 weeks range too?
Posted By: OldGrayWolf Re: Just an FYI: - 08/27/20
They'll get it together for mail in voting, you betcha...
Posted By: Tarbe Re: Just an FYI: - 08/27/20
I shipped two rifles USPS on July 31, from Houston, TX to OR.

One rifle delivered Aug 25th. Other is still in transit!
Posted By: lightning Re: Just an FYI: - 08/27/20
And the Dems want voting by mail in ballots!
Posted By: Johnsclist Re: Just an FYI: - 08/27/20
I ordered business supplies FROM the USPS.com website August 3, they have not shipped yet!
Posted By: hunter718 Re: Just an FYI: - 08/27/20
There are just waiting for that 25Billion from Piglosie!!
Posted By: vacrt2002 Re: Just an FYI: - 08/27/20
UPS has the same issues: now is a train derailment
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Just an FYI: - 08/27/20
I have shipped several packages to guys here on the forum recently, always Flat Rate Priority insured with tracking. I haven't experianced any extended delays so far.
Knock on wood.
Posted By: Legionnaire Re: Just an FYI: - 08/27/20
A couple weeks ago I ordered several magazines from Midway. They use UPS to the local USPS and have USPS do the delivery. Tracking showed package got to my local post office, where it sat for a week before they got around to delivering it.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Just an FYI: - 08/27/20
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
A couple weeks ago I ordered several magazines from Midway. They use UPS to the local USPS and have USPS do the delivery. Tracking showed package got to my local post office, where it sat for a week before they got around to delivering it.

What stopped you from going and picking it up?
Posted By: jobyjob Re: Just an FYI: - 08/27/20
Our office has had many letters arrive that were post marked 30 days prior to when they got here.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Just an FYI: - 08/27/20
George,

The big problems appear to occur in some of the major USPS distribution centers. One where problems sometimes occurred before the present situation was Denver. We media-mailed a book to somebody, and the book stayed in Denver for a month before heading to the customer. In meantime Eileen had mailed another, which beat the first one by 3 weeks.

I recently bought a rifle from a guy who lives a little way north of Philadelphia, and the rifle got stuck in Philly for three weeks before heading west to Montana--which only took 3 days.

In contrast week Eileen media-mailed a book to a guy in a small town north of Great Falls--and the Greats Falls PO is the distribution center for western Montana. The guy received it the next day!
Posted By: codybrown Re: Just an FYI: - 08/27/20
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf

Hahahaha I wouldn't hold your breath.
Posted By: magshooter1 Re: Just an FYI: - 08/27/20
Originally Posted by CJC73
nothing new... USPS has been running slow all summer due to everything going on. As like others above, I've had two packages sit in spots for 3-5 weeks at a time with no updates. Then it moves and it shows up one day. Now when I mail something priority, the person tells me expected X and X day but it's usually taking longer. I've used FedEx ground a lot lately, pricing is about the same and been quicker.

You've had better luck than me then. Bought a rifle online. It shipped FedEx Ground got to the local deliver hub in like two days. Then said delivered only it wasn't. Then said duplicate scan and out for delivery. Only it wasn't. It sat in our local hub for almost a month before being delivered to the wrong address. (next door to my FFL). The seller and I both had opened cases on it. Had a FEG rep tell me to get the seller to start the insurance claim process the day before it was actually delivered.
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: Just an FYI: - 08/27/20
John,

Sounds like my recent experience (and Fiddy’s) is not too much compared to the experiences of many here (Fotus’ takes the cake and the cigar). However, as usual a government run union enterprise is pretty insular to the decline of services.

Posted By: old_willys Re: Just an FYI: - 08/27/20
ordered a new iphone for my wife August 5th it was to be delivered August 12th but instead shows it was last scanned at Vernon, CA over 2 weeks ago. Used to be you could call UPS and find out why or they would try to find it, now days there is no way to speak to a live person. Their system has told me to check back later for the past 15 days!

BTW the outfit I bought it from has been just as bad I finally put in a refund payment request with the credit card company.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Just an FYI: - 08/28/20
George,

Actually, the USPS had supposedly been a separate corporation, but under the direction of Congress, for quite a while now.

Its also part of the mandate of the Constitution, which was instituted to allow ALL Americans to correspond without paying a delivery penalty for being way out in the sticks, which the Fathers figured would promote trade.

Which the USPS still does, when run right. Which is why a bunch of small businesses were built on that service--including ours. In rural Montana we could not get the same service for small packages from private carriers, such as UPS and Fedex.

You can blame it on the USPS union, but prior to July we were getting the same sort of reliable service from USPS that we've had since setting up out website over 15 years ago. 99% of media-mail book packages arrived within in the 3-5 business days suggested, and priority-mail packages arrived on time 90% of the time, the other 10% a day later.
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: Just an FYI: - 08/28/20

Thanks John. No doubt due to your business experience you know more about the USPS than I. I probably over-generalized from what I see as a general degregation of services and many anecdotes about the current work force.

Perhaps the PS will still beat the pony express to Ca. 🙂
Posted By: Daveh Re: Just an FYI: - 08/28/20
I buy and sell more than I should using USPS exclusively. I have only seen about an average 1-2 day delay. I always use priority.

Not what it was a year ago but for example I bought two Vortex Razors about two weeks apart from Eurooptic and both took 3 days coast to coast.......
Posted By: REDVANES Re: Just an FYI: - 08/28/20
I sent 6 flat rate boxes to Dillingham Alaska on August 10 and no lie got delivered 3 days later. I couldn’t believe it.
Posted By: JSmith62198 Re: Just an FYI: - 08/28/20
I shipped two on the same day and paid for 3 day shipping. No tracking updates. One arrived 14 days later and the other 21 days later. Both arrived two days after filing a claim. The second popped up on tracking 90 miles from me on the 18th day. I have since switched to fedex or ups and haven’t had any issues.
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: Just an FYI: - 08/28/20

Well, maybe I was a bit unfair; if so, I am willing to admit it. My package arrived at recipient. A good week+ past listed arrival date, But! It did arrive! So there is that.

Best to all here in their shipping experiences.
Posted By: dbowling Re: Just an FYI: - 08/28/20
They want you to pay for premium tracking now or yo do not get updates, if you look in the drop down list where you check tracking it has a drop down with prices for premium tracking. I have never seen this before and figure that's why my tracking only shows "your item is in transit or it has been delayed arriving later then expected".
Posted By: Showdog75 Re: Just an FYI: - 08/28/20
That's absolute bullshit blaming the union. I have a good friend that's a postmaster at a local post office branch. He said you can blame it on covid and everybody having packages and supplies delivered. He said his Monday avarages on packages from Amazon have gone up 4 to 5 times and they don't have 4 to 5 times the extra help. If congress would get there fingers out of the post office it would be a well run profitable business but they rob it like they have social security.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Just an FYI: - 08/29/20
Showdog,

Well put. There have been various degrees of unionization of the USPS since the 1890s, partly because back then massive amounts of mail were transported by rail, and railroad workers were often union members. The present USPS union came into existence in 1970--and if the USPS started to become "inefficient" in the 70s I would have noticed, since that's when I started my career as a freelance writer.

One of my first writing assingments during the late 1970s was co-authoring a book with a friend (and long-established writer) on the other end of Montana. Back then there was no Internet, or faxing. So we did it all by mail.

I could put a envelope of my latest contributions in the mail in the afternoon, and have it arrive at his rural address (13 miles from the nearest post office, and 500+ miles from my town) at around noon the next day. That is NOT "inefficient" service.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: Just an FYI: - 08/29/20
I retired from USPS 5 years ago, where I worked for 31 years as a rural mail carrier. I saw a dramatic change over all that time, as when I first started there was a lot of letter sized mail, and few packages. When I retired, the letter size mail had dropped, and the number of packages had increased at least 10 times. In the past five years since then, the number of packages USPS delivers has continued to increase, while still being delivered by the same number of people. Add what Covid has caused, and it's a wonder that anything gets delivered when it does. Personally, with the exception of a M.O. I mailed to a member here for a scope, that took about 2 weeks to arrive, I've not had a problem. I hear about all these horror stories on there, but in reality, they are the exception, rather than the norm.
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: Just an FYI: - 08/29/20

If the volume of packages being shipped has increased dramatically, what would be the reason for not adding more people?
Posted By: Bullthrower338 Re: Just an FYI: - 08/30/20
Hell, I am waiting on a FedEx package that shipped on the 18th and still isn’t here, however my order from midway was here in two days.
Posted By: Ronald_55 Re: Just an FYI: - 08/30/20
I had an order shipped from Numrich that simply said that USPS as awaiting receipt of package. It arrived 2 days later and it still says that on the tracking site.. lol. Several years back I mailed a letter from the east coast to California requesting some info. 7 months later, I got the info. They sent the letter back to me. It had just arrived a few days before. It was torn in 6 or 8 pieces and hooked back together with that "Oops we broke it" tape USPS uses. My guess is it got stuck in a machine and wasn't found until maintenance had to be done on it. I have had unusual stuff with Fedex and UPS lately too. Things making it to the center closest to me to only show up in tracking on the other end of the state the next day.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Just an FYI: - 08/31/20
George,

Evidently you're out of the loop:

https://fortune.com/2020/07/24/usps-mail-delivery-postmaster-general-louis-dejoy-us-postal-service/
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Just an FYI: - 08/31/20
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf

LOL!
Posted By: Daveh Re: Just an FYI: - 08/31/20
I must be lucky.....😀😀
NY to WA in 3 calendar days.....

Attached picture E582ED31-2918-42F2-B347-761BFF1D54B6.png
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Just an FYI: - 09/01/20
Just got my latest credit-card bill, at just about the same time it appeared before the latest PMG took over. Maybe the go-rounds he's had with both the Senate and House have had some effect.

Do know that Montana's single representative (a Republican) and two Senators (one R and the other D) are pretty pissed off about it, and are demanding mail delivery return to normal ASAP.
Posted By: George_De_Vries_3rd Re: Just an FYI: - 09/01/20
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

John,
I don’t know how I was not consulted on this.

Seriously, there are, arguably, multiple points to offer constructive criticism on here. Maybe the Postmaster General’s asking of my opinions on these issues was mailed.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Just an FYI: - 09/01/20
EBay is even recommending sellers use an alternative to USPS when shipping.
Posted By: Daveh Re: Just an FYI: - 09/01/20
Consider the source........🤔
© 24hourcampfire