Home
Looking to maybe upgrade my son from a 243 to a 7-08.

So I am in the market for a Montana in a 7-08. Maybe a Tikka or something similar. Thinking lighter weight, easy packing and handling.

I don't think fieldcraft makes a 7-08???

Anyone?
Barrett made 7-08 in FC but they are pretty rare and hard to find. A SS Model 7 in 7-08 would be a good choice too.
Originally Posted by Jpterry
Barrett made 7-08 in FC but they are pretty rare and hard to find. A SS Model 7 in 7-08 would be a good choice too.

I think I have owned 2 different model sevens. Not really pleased with either of them. Kimber has it's issues, but based on my experience with those 2 sevens, I am unlikely to try again.
Originally Posted by Tarkio

I think I have owned 2 different model sevens. Not really pleased with either of them. Kimber has it's issues, but based on my experience with those 2 sevens, I am unlikely to try again.

Gotcha... I've always had a great results with my 7s and there's a good thread on them in Hunting Rifles. But understand bad experience. I've only owned ones from 90s and early 2000s... Not any of the newer Rems. 7-08 is awesome next step for your son and all he will ever need for deer.
Don't know how light you need? I have one of these in 7mm 08. At 6lbs 12oz it's a nice handling rifle and mine is sub moa with factory ammo. Portuguese made but very nice fit and finish.

https://www.winchesterguns.com/prod...roducts/model-70-extreme-weather-ss.html
Go with a Tikka T3x Superlite in 7mm08. You want be disappointed.
Originally Posted by fishnpbr
Don't know how light you need? I have one of these in 7mm 08. At 6lbs 12oz it's a nice handling rifle and mine is sub moa with factory ammo. Portuguese made but very nice fit and finish.

22" barrel?
Budget? I have a faux Howa Alpine in 7mm-08. Got the barreled action from Whittaker's and the stock off the classifieds here. Rifle is absolutely as new. Has a 22" barrel, not a 20", same cerakote coating and is in a Bansner stock. Please PM if interested, Dean.
Originally Posted by fishnpbr

22" barrel?

For the 7mm 08 yes. Scroll to the bottom of the link and you'll see barrel lengths for each caliber.
Originally Posted by glosto

This, all day.
I'd go with Tikka as well.
if you can find a FC its a great gun,,,, mine is my go to.. got 3 nice bucks last year with it... but its hard to get hold of, and some of the guns mentioned above are great as well and lower priced as well.
I, or I should say, my wife has a Kimber Montana in 7mm08. Has Tally one piece base and rings. We have never shot it so can’t tell you much other than it is a nice rifle in great condition.
We are building a house so hoarding cash and the wife said to sell it.
$925 shipped or $1200 shipped with a Leupold 2.5x8.
I have a new in box Howa 6mm creedmoor with a 22” #2 contour barrel if you are interested. Comes with bottom metal and action screws, just needs a stock.

I have it’s twin in a Banser stock that is a solid performer.

PM me if interested.
Posted By: byd Re: WTB 7-08 Montana Tikka...??? - 09/21/20
Tikka's suck balls I only have 3 of them.

Gotcha... I've always had a great results with my 7s and there's a good thread on them in Hunting Rifles. But understand bad experience. I've only owned ones from 90s and early 2000s... Not any of the newer Rems. 7-08 is awesome next step for your son and all he will ever need for deer.

I have 3 Model Seven 1 stainless synthetic from late 90’s that shoots very very well, 1 mid 90’s KS and it shoots anything I feed it very well (both of those 7-08) an MS in 308 that I’m blown away by how well it shoots. I also had a KS in 350 RM that was unreal as well. The only 7 I ever had that I didn’t like the performance was a CDL in 260. Baseball size groups at 100. I sent it down the road. I say try to find an earlier model and see how it goes. They are a perfect size for packing and general hunting use.
Go with a Tikka
Originally Posted by d500lnn

I have 3 Model Seven 1 stainless synthetic from late 90’s that shoots very very well, 1 mid 90’s KS and it shoots anything I feed it very well (both of those 7-08) an MS in 308 that I’m blown away by how well it shoots. I also had a KS in 350 RM that was unreal as well. The only 7 I ever had that I didn’t like the performance was a CDL in 260. Baseball size groups at 100. I sent it down the road. I say try to find an earlier model and see how it goes. They are a perfect size for packing and general hunting use.

That's kind of where I found myself.

A rifle that would shoot decently, but the 3rd, 4th and 5th shot, who knows where it would end up.

The second one I had, I fought and was bound and determined to do what was necessary to get that thing to tighten up. Lets of time and effort, to no avail.

I own a few montanas. They shoot pretty well and when combined with how well they carry, handle, and point, I am leaning hard that way.
Originally Posted by byd
Tikka's suck balls I only have 3 of them.

Piker. I have three in the same chambering.

P

'
^^^^^^^^ This
Originally Posted by Remington280

'
^^^^^^^^ This

I had a tikka compact or superlite. Loved how it shot. The stock sucked. Was slick. Poor grip. Felt cheap too but the worst was the lack of grip.

Superlite any different?
Posted By: slm9s Re: WTB 7-08 Montana Tikka...??? - 09/22/20
+1, and they use the same stock I believe..
Everyone complains about tikka stocks, but they seem at least in line with stocks in comparably priced rifles and oftentimes more rigid. The T3 was lacking in grip but nothing a stipple job wouldn’t fix. The T3x is better in this regard.
Tankerjockey, I am new to the forum and am unable to send you a PM. I'd like to discuss your Kimber Montana 7mm-08 with you. Can you try sending me a PM?
Tried to buy a Montana that a guy offered but it was then sold.

So still looking.

Had a few others offer some rifles here that aren't off the table, but still leaning towards a Montana because that's what I know.

Looking into some info on some of the rifles guys have offered up to try and learn if any of them might work.
A crooked shooting Montana is just what you need. Leave those slippery stocked Tikka's to the rest of us.
Originally Posted by grovey
A crooked shooting Montana is just what you need. Leave those slippery stocked Tikka's to the rest of us.

I have 3 of those crooked shooters. So I guess I have taken your advice so far.
© 24hourcampfire