Home
Posted By: Maxwell WTS Remington 722 222 Rem - 11/05/20
Nice old Remington Model 722 from the late 1950's or early 1960's.
Chambered in 222 Remington.
24" barrel.
Bluing in excellent condition.
Original aluminum buttplate.
Rear sight has been removed, is not available.
Original trigger replaced with a Timney adjustable trigger and safety that allows operation of the bolt while safety is engaged.
Rifle has been bedded at the recoil lug and tang, and barrel channel relieved to free float barrel.

Scope is a fixed 12X Leupold with A.O. and covered target turrets, CPC reticle, mounted in Redfield rings on Leupold STD bases (windage adjustable rear base)
Glass and body are both in excellent condition, with a few minor scrapes/dents consistent with its age. Nice, bright scope with what I feel is one of Leupold's best reticles.

Known issues:
1. The stock is in pretty nice shape, but does have what appear to be a lot of small dings (compression or 'safe marks', not deep scratches) along the forend. Could be a great candidate for a refinish job or checkering. Still looks pretty handsome as is.

2. I haven't had it borescoped, but to my eye it appears there are some rough spots in the bore. Still, it shoots quite well. I easily developed a few loads with Hornady 50 gr SP's that grouped <0.75" at 100 yards.

Bonanza/Forster Bench Rest dies, Lapua brass, and a few bullets are available to buyer.

Asking $550 for rifle and rings/mounts, $250 for scope, or $750 for package as pictured, plus shipping to your FFL (from private individual). More than willing to meet FTF in the Missoula area or within a reasonable distance.

[Linked Image]

***More photos here***.
Posted By: Craig717 Re: Remington 722 222 Rem - 11/05/20
I will take the scope if you separate it. Thanks
Posted By: JTrapper73 Re: Remington 722 222 Rem - 11/05/20
I have this exact rifle in 222 made in 53. It is easily the most accurate rifle I own and a pleasure to shoot.
Posted By: Maxwell Re: Remington 722 222 Rem - 11/05/20
Ok, I'll put you down for it if they don't sell together.
Posted By: Craig717 Re: Remington 722 222 Rem - 11/05/20
Perfect. Thanks
Posted By: Bella1 Re: Remington 722 222 Rem - 11/05/20
Best wood I’ve seen on a 722
Posted By: Tarbe Re: Remington 722 222 Rem - 11/05/20
That's a dandy, and a good price on the package, too.
Up.
Posted By: Ogdonia Re: Remington 722 222 Rem - 11/05/20
Oh boy! Very nice package.
Posted By: HarleyHutch Re: Remington 722 222 Rem - 11/06/20
I have a 257R that shoots well, no reason this shouldn't be any different
Posted By: Maxwell Re: Remington 722 222 Rem - 11/07/20
Up.
I've has the same exact rifle for years. The 722s are shooters and especially the .222. This is a great gun and price. It will make someone a wonderful rifle that will really reach out and do the job. Good luck with your sale.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Remington 722 222 Rem - 11/07/20
Nice, my dad’s favorite varmint rifle was a 722 222. That’s a very good price.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Remington 722 222 Rem - 11/07/20
Originally Posted by JTrapper73
I have this exact rifle in 222 made in 53. It is easily the most accurate rifle I own and a pleasure to shoot.

Same here. Finally shot it out over the years of my misspent youth... blush It now wears a Hart 14 twist in .22-204, loves light bullets.

Regarding the wood, I’d agree it has some of the nicest factory wood I’ve seen with one exception. Butchlambert knew Mike Walker, took a trip to the Remington wood shed with Mike, picked a blank for the build of his rifle.

Stock and action with that trigger prob worth the ask even if barrel gets replaced. But, I’ve seen barrels that look a bit rough thru the bore scope, shoot a lot better than expected. Target, not bore scope, should dictate.

DF
Posted By: Maxwell Re: Remington 722 222 Rem - 11/07/20
Thanks for the kind words. It’s a sharp looking rig for sure, but I never thought the wood was all that special. Haven’t seen a whole lot of 722’s though.

If it was chambered in a deer cartridge I would never let go of it, but I don’t shoot prairie dogs or coyotes and I just don’t use this rifle as much as I thought I might. That said, the 222 is a sweetheart of a cartridge.

I’ll be away from an internet connection for the next couple days but will respond to PMs as quickly as I can when I return on Sunday evening.
Posted By: Maxwell Re: Remington 722 222 Rem - 11/09/20
$750 shipped for the rifle and scope as pictured.
Posted By: Maxwell Re: WTS Remington 722 222 Rem - 11/09/20
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Yep, better than average wood. Way better, IMO. Those tended to be pretty plain.

Nice rig at a fair price.

Wish I was in the market.

DF
That gun still here?

Figured you’d have sold it by now.

DF
Posted By: Maxwell Re: WTS Remington 722 222 Rem - 11/10/20
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

You and me both!

I'll throw in 99 pieces of Lapua Match brass that's been fired 5 or 6 times, annealed after 3 and 5 firings, and shows no signs of slowing down.

$550 shipped to FFL for the rifle with rings/bases and brass
$750 shipped to FFL for the scoped rifle and brass
$780 with a set of Forster Bench Rest (FL) dies AND a Wilson chamber-type seater
Well, you sure upped the ante with that offer...

DF
Posted By: arky65 Re: WTS Remington 722 222 Rem - 11/10/20
Somebody, please buy this before I add to a collection I am trying to thin.

All the .222 fans are my age and we are thinning not adding.
Posted By: Bugger Re: WTS Remington 722 222 Rem - 11/10/20
That is a smoking deal!!!
Posted By: jnyork Re: WTS Remington 722 222 Rem - 11/10/20
Cant understand why this is still here. Have one just like it or it would be gone.
Posted By: Bugger Re: WTS Remington 722 222 Rem - 11/10/20
Originally Posted by Maxwell
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

You and me both!

I'll throw in 99 pieces of Lapua Match brass that's been fired 5 or 6 times, annealed after 3 and 5 firings, and shows no signs of slowing down.

$550 shipped to FFL for the rifle with rings/bases and brass
$750 shipped to FFL for the scoped rifle and brass
$780 with a set of Forster Bench Rest (FL) dies AND a Wilson chamber-type seater

I’ll take option number two as I have dies.
Posted By: Maxwell Re: WTS Remington 722 222 Rem - 11/10/20
SPF!

Replied to your PM, Bugger.
Good snag, Bugger...

You got a good one.

Maxwell, if you don't get a sale here for those dies, I've seen my son get some amazing prices for stuff on eBay, more than I'd pay... But he takes great pictures, is a pro. Good pictures help about anything sell.

DF
Posted By: arky65 Re: WTS Remington 722 222 Rem - 11/10/20
Thank you, BUGGER!!!

I, made up my mind during my range session to make an offer if still available.
© 24hourcampfire