Home
Posted By: andymick32 Shipping ammo questions - 01/25/21
Contemplating shipping ammo. Any rules on this for USPS or UPS?
Posted By: texken Re: Shipping ammo questions - 01/25/21
not legal to go usps, its done, at your risk...the UPS stations will not ship, at least down here, have to go to the hub. Ken
Posted By: 160user Re: Shipping ammo questions - 01/25/21
Visit the UPS website. They have all the info and the NEW Hazmat marking that is required.
Yes
It's not hazmat. Hazmat is a very specific thing. It is "small arms ammunition". There is no extra charge you just have to mark it. Must be shipped from a UPS Customer Service Center not from one of the UPS "stores"
Posted By: SandBilly Re: Shipping ammo questions - 01/25/21
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...g/Search/true/shipping-ammo#Post15684075
ezpeeze
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Shipping ammo questions - 01/25/21
UPS is Ground only for ammo. It has to have the UN standard limited quantity sticker on it. Its about a 4"x4" square, white with black outline and two opposite corners are black triangles. Ships from the hubs only.

Bb
Posted By: gonzaga Re: Shipping ammo questions - 01/25/21
You cannot ship loaded ammo through the air service. Ground service only....
I've done it before, I always write on the box "rattle ok"...
That way they don't think it is broken and stop its progress and open it up and inspect it....
Trust me, I work at UPS, seen it done before...
Posted By: timspawn Re: Shipping ammo questions - 01/25/21
I bought a roll of 500 of the new stickers from Amazon for $15. I put one on each side of the box.
Posted By: gzig5 Re: Shipping ammo questions - 01/25/21
I just sent ammo from the service center last week. No big deal, no extra cost. Printed out a couple of the diamond labels from the screen shot of the label on UPS site. Their website does a good job of explaining requirements for ammo and firearms. Shipping a 25# boxed rifle was surprisingly cheap, except for the $3k insurance which doubled the cost.
Posted By: KEVIN_JAY Re: Shipping ammo questions - 01/25/21
There are many people like me that are 100 mile round trip to the nearest hub.

Not knowing the fine print of UPS, I'm wondering if a driver pick up can be arranged for ammo.

I know they charge a little for residential pickup, not sure about ammo.

Anyone ever done it?
Posted By: andymick32 Re: Shipping ammo questions - 01/25/21
Originally Posted by KEVIN_JAY
There are many people like me that are 100 mile round trip to the nearest hub.

Not knowing the fine print of UPS, I'm wondering if a driver pick up can be arranged for ammo.

I know they charge a little for residential pickup, not sure about ammo.

Anyone ever done it?

Same boat I’m in. Was wondering that as well.
Posted By: lcf Re: Shipping ammo questions - 01/25/21

+ 1 on Kevin Jay's question, L
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Shipping ammo questions - 01/25/21
I know Winchester has sent me 2 prepaid labels and ORM D stickers.

I had a jacked up shotgun shell that had the brass all smashed, called Winchester and they wanted to see what happened. Sent me a box of 3" mag XX in return.

Other issue was when they had the LR primer problems.

The little brown truck picked both of those boxes up from my house. May be different for them than a regular consumer.

UPS hauls loads of ammo from retailers everyday that doesn't have to go through a hub first.

Don't know what that means for us regular Joes.
Posted By: mtnfisher Re: Shipping ammo questions - 01/25/21
Last month, I had an ammo packaged, labeled and ready to go. UPS guy dropped off a package for me and I handed it to him. No big deal.
Posted By: Full3r Re: Shipping ammo questions - 01/25/21
Ups will pick up from your residence. Get online and read regs, make sure it packaged well, mark appropriately and print a label. You can set it all up online after you make an account. Not hard to do.
Posted By: OlRufus Re: Shipping ammo questions - 01/25/21
Per their website: they charge $5.80 for a scheduled p/u, or a dollar more....$6.80 for same day p/u. Didn't see anything about mileage. I guess if they can deliver to your house they can pick up.
Posted By: gzig5 Re: Shipping ammo questions - 01/25/21
Read the regs. They are short and consise. No UPS Store, no box drop off. Customer service center or hub drop off, or pickup depending on your account.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-cent...rdous-materials/shipping-ammunition.page

excerpt from the site:

Getting the Package to UPS

Cartridges, small arms may be shipped only through a UPS Scheduled Pickup Account using various UPS pickup services , or through a UPS Customer Center (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Cartridges, small arms are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes, and may not be tendered to or dropped off at locations of The UPS Store® or any third party retailer or UPS Access Point™ location
© 24hourcampfire