Home
Posted By: Dinny R&D Savage 24C - 02/22/21
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/893010806

Not mine but I wish it was.

Thanks, Dinny
Posted By: shoptom Re: R&D Savage 24C - 02/22/21
I have one, case and all. What's R&D? Research and development? Thought it was just a Camper's Special. Neat little guns.
Posted By: Dinny Re: R&D Savage 24C - 02/22/21
Research and Development is my guess too.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: R&D Savage 24C - 02/22/21
Originally Posted by Dinny

Thanks, Dinny

I have owned some Savage R&D guns. Savage stamped RD prefix serial numbers on production guns that were used for catalog photo shoots. According to Carl Hildebrandt at Savage, Peter Dowd bought most of the R&D collection and sold a lot of it through his gun shop, Village Gun Shop in Northborough, MA, LaRue's in Portsmouth, NH, and the Kittery Trading Post.
Posted By: Rodney482 Re: R&D Savage 24C - 02/22/21
Cool gun
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: R&D Savage 24C - 02/22/21
Originally Posted by Dinny

Thanks, Dinny

All you have to do is have the winning bid, and it is yours!
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: R&D Savage 24C - 02/22/21
Originally Posted by Rodney482
Cool gun

The 24C was one of those things that looks great, but lags behind in actual execution. I've owned a few and let all of them go. The light weight and stock design contributed to very noticeable recoil when you fired slugs or magnum loads. In typical Savage 24 fashion, the rifle accuracy was a crap shoot, in that some will and some won't.

I send a message to the seller and asked him how he knew that it is an R&D gun, but have not heard back from him.

BTW, the carrying cases weren't animal leather, just artificial material. There were two different styles, the one that is pictured and one with a camo pattern that was foam padded with a Cordura nylon outer shell. The foam padding added some bulk to the carrying case, but it also protected the content better, another trade off.
Posted By: Rodney482 Re: R&D Savage 24C - 02/22/21
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Rodney482
Cool gun

The 24C was one of those things that looks great, but lags behind in actual execution. I've owned a few and let all of them go. The light weight and stock design contributed to very noticeable recoil when you fired slugs or magnum loads. In typical Savage 24 fashion, the rifle accuracy was a crap shoot, in that some will and some won't.

I send a message to the seller and asked him how he knew that it is an R&D gun, but have not heard back from him.

BTW, the carrying cases weren't animal leather, just artificial material. There were two different styles, the one that is pictured and one with a camo pattern that was foam padded with a Cordura nylon outer shell. The foam padding added some bulk to the carrying case, but it also protected the content better, another trade off.

Thanks for the info
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: R&D Savage 24C - 02/22/21
Never had one, but that brings back a lot of memories!

Thanks for sharing Dinny!
Posted By: timspawn Re: R&D Savage 24C - 02/22/21
It has the common feature of the 24"s......a cracked stock.
Posted By: UncleAlps Re: R&D Savage 24C - 02/23/21
Originally Posted by timspawn

Originally Posted by 260Remguy

The 24C was one of those things that looks great, but lags behind in actual execution. I've owned a few and let all of them go. The light weight and stock design contributed to very noticeable recoil when you fired slugs or magnum loads.

Yes. Don't shoot slugs or turkey loads if you don't want a bruised shoulder and a cracked stock!
Posted By: deerstalker Re: R&D Savage 24C - 02/23/21
Originally Posted by timspawn

make that Savage rifles common feature
Posted By: fuzzytail Re: R&D Savage 24C - 02/23/21
Have 24 SE 22 over 410 that was bought in 66-67' for my first gun at Christmas. No cracks and actually killed 15 squirrels yesterday.
Posted By: Uncle_Alvah Re: R&D Savage 24C - 02/23/21
I love the gun, but, imo, its simply not a $900 item. Free shipping is nice though. Be interesting to see what it sells for.
© 24hourcampfire