Home
Neat early Ruger single six flat-gate flat-top
Very tight with a great bore. There is some finish loss from holster where - mostly on the left top of the frame and the left muzzle end of the barrel.
Serial number puts this one at 1957 DOM.
No transfer bar conversion - as it came from the factory.

The first unconditional “I’ll take it” followed by a pm gets it.
I have many more pictures available via text or email of needed.
Must ship to an ffl or c&r who accepts from me (a non-ffl).
Sales to the lower 48 only where legal.
USPS MO and discreet PayPal f&f (or add 3%) are the only forms of payment accepted unless we’ve done prior business.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
$585 shipped
Very cool, pre dates the creation of the 22WMR, so it will have a true 22lr bore.
Originally Posted by Claybirds
Very cool, pre dates the creation of the 22WMR, so it will have a true 22lr bore.

Correct,

A lot of guys think or believe all single sixes were supposed to come with both the 22lr and 22 mag cylinders (because so many newer versions did).

These are well built ole wheel guns. This one has been carried much more than shot.
Those are reportedly more accurate shooting LR ammo with its .222 bore vs the convertible series with .223 bore.

I have one. I like it.

BTW, not a bad price for a fine, historic revolver.

DF
Thanks DF
Single Six are fixed sight and always flat on top.
The name " flat top " refers to an earlier version of Blackhawk.

Super Single Six were adj sight.
Originally Posted by hookeye
Single Six are fixed sight and always flat on top.
The name " flat top " refers to an earlier version of Blackhawk.

Super Single Six were adj sight.

I called it a flat top (although maybe not a correct “collector” term) because the top of frame is level/flat vs. the newer styles/variations of single six which I believe have a step.
But I agree, the earlier variations were always flat top.I advertise it that way because I know many prospective parties use that terminology and identify an early single six as such. It’s more done as a selling vantage.
My LGS has a NIB one in the original box in great shape with all the papers for $795. I’m damned tempted every time I go in there. Love those old model Single Sixes! Especially the Flat Gate Models. 🤠
Great 6 shooter GLWS
Thanks all
My son got this one from a friend, gave it to me for Christmas. It had a broken grip. So, I fitted these ebony ones, installed the Ruger Medallions, sent them to Errol Case in MO for checkering and carving.

This one would take a lot more money, not even sure I'd let it go as it as a special gift. It's a 4 digit, probably first year. Very smooth action, trigger is perfect. And they gotta be pretty good for me to say that. Other than the grips, there was nothing I could do to improve it.

DF

Dunno if I'd even want to "improve" the grips....
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Dunno if I'd even want to "improve" the grips....

I'd have left mine stock if one of the grips wasn't broken beyond repair. There was a piece missing, or I'd have attempted a repair.

I've seen OEM plastic grips selling on eBay in the $150 range. Before paying all that, I went with these. Doing the fitting myself saved a bunch. Errol charged around $150 for his work. I'd rather put that hundred and a half on carving and checkering ebony than on OEM plastics that had started to fade. But original does help with the value.

DF
Nice one. I got one same 1957-1958 time frame only it has the round gate.

Good luck on the sale.
Originally Posted by roundoak
Nice one. I got one same 1957-1958 time frame only it has the round gate.

Good luck on the sale.

I've read that some didn't like the flat gate, sent'em back to Ruger to retrofit a round gate. Yours could be in that group with a flat gate serial number.

I think the flat gate is cool and unique.

DF
My Father purchased the gun new and I inherited it. No one in this family sent it to Ruger.
My Father purchased the gun new and I inherited it. No one in this family sent it to Ruger.

That's interesting.

In that case, it must have been one of the first they fitted with the round gate. I'm not sure about the time that happened.

This could be something to investigate.

DF
I have a buddy who bought a flat gate in a bar in Wisconsin in 1975, for $25.

I must be living wrong.

Really neat little revolver.
Did i miss the price?
I think my son paid $100 for this one. A friend was selling his late grandfather's guns. It did have the broken grip and my son's a pretty good negotiator. I'm sure he got a lot of stroke out of that broken grip. It was in a Christmas basket with other goodies. I was touched. The ebony grips were an attemp at making it nice, knowing it wouldn't be original. But at that price and as a gift, it really doesn't matter. I like it.

DF
Would someone please buy this.....please
Perfect fun gun. I already have one. Somebody jump on this!!
Originally Posted by Bushwacker

Let me help you: “You need this, Bushwacker.”

I would myself, imo price is right, but have one, same vintage similar condition. Whadyado? ... Egg someone else on i guess....

Originally Posted by 257heaven

Ya.
Originally Posted by sandcritter
Originally Posted by Bushwacker

Let me help you: “You need this, Bushwacker.”

I would myself, imo price is right, but have one, same vintage similar condition. Whadyado? ... Egg someone else on i guess....

Originally Posted by 257heaven

Ya.

You are evil, need vs want....I must be strong......maybe
Originally Posted by mtjoe
Did i miss the price?

It’s just below the second photo.
DF: beautiful example you have there - I really like the grips too.
I changed out my grips to Staghorn, but still have the originals. Sorry to clutter up your classified with this 5 screw, but I think everybody is missing out on your Single-Six at a fair price.

I changed out my grips to Staghorn, but still have the originals. Sorry to clutter up your classified with this 5 screw, but I think everybody is missing out on your Single-Six at a fair price.

No apologies necessary - great looking wheel gun you have there.
I agree. I remember sending you the eBay link where identical grips sold for $150 or so. And those were fading, oxidizing, not as nice as yours. Your comment, these original grips help with the value of the gun, and I agreed.

I like the stags, but would also hang onto the OEM plastic grips. They do help the value.

And, the OP's ask is well in line with what these guns are going for. It is a fair price.

I think comparables do help the OP with what he's offering. The info on OEM plastic grips, for sure.

DF
This one is SPF
Thanks Everyone!
Originally Posted by jsgwoodsman
This one is SPF
Thanks Everyone!

Good snag for whomever ended up with it.

Congrats to the new owner.

DF
i have one made in 56 gave 150 for it over 30 years ago love em
If it matters, and it should, OP is a good guy to deal with!
Thanks everyone
And right back at ya shoptom
Originally Posted by tuskbuster
i have one made in 56 gave 150 for it over 30 years ago love em

IMO, those old three screws are a heap better than the new ones, especially the pre-convertible ones with .222 true .22 LR bore diameter vs. the compromise .223 for .22LR and .22WMR...Those reportedly aren't quite as accurate with LR ammo. I know mine is a tack driver.

DF
I just read, flat gate to round gate was early ‘57. Not sure the actual serial number. They may or may not know that specific number. Gives an idea, a range.

DF
It’s high 59k range so looks like very early 1957 DOM
It’s high 59k range so looks like very early 1957 DOM

Must have been one of the last flat gates.

DF
This one is back up for sale!

Due to unforeseen circumstances, the buyer is not able to complete the purchase. No hard feelings on my end - life happens.
Well, someone missed out on a good one, now an opportunity for another.

I just read this on Rimfire Central. One guy posted that the pre- dual cylinder Single Six has a .219" bore. I had read .222", .223 for the dual cylinders to accommodate the WMR round. I know it's a tighter bore, not sure about the actual size

I'm seeing now the pre dual cylinder Single Six is .222, the dual cylinder, .224. That may be correct. .222 vs. .223 may not make enough difference. .222 vs. .224 may.

He was saying flat gate to round gate was in '57, which is probably right.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276224

DF
Here's in interesting piece I pirated from the net.

Every Ruger Single-Six made after the 22 LR only Old Modes have .224" bores (includes all New Models). I have an OM S/S (RSS-5) made in 1959 with a .222" bore but my OM SC-6 (made in 1966) has a .224" bore. Even my Single-Six Bisley (22 LR only, made in 1989) has a .224" bore. NM Single-Sixes are not "target grade" revolvers, however they are plenty accurate for plinking or hunting.

If you want to test a bore, grab a 7/32" drill bit. The shank of the bit will barely fit in the muzzle of a .224" bore and will not fit in a .222" bore.

BTW, Ruger is not the only manufacture to use a .224" bore on their sigle action revolvers. I've tested other brands and found the same thing .... in fact I recently picked up a like new Colt New Frontier Buntline (made in 1986) with a .224" bore that was sold as a 22 LR only.

supergun, With regular ammo, You can expect 2.5 ~ 3" groups at 25 yards so your accuracy is about par. If you want tighter groups, invest in a tool made by Paco Kelly called the ACU’RZR. It is a die with a punch that expands a normal .222" bullet up to .224". I bought a "one holer" many years ago. It takes about a half hour to "bump up" a 50 round box of ammo in my tool. The newer ACU’RZRs do 3 or 4 at a time and are much faster. Once the bullets are bumped up, they are a snug fit in a Single-Six 22 LR cylinder and won't fit or feed in any of my 22 semi-autos. They won't fit in the Colt Frontier either because it has tighter chambers. All Single-Six 22 LR cylinders have .224" throats so the larger bullet will pass through without being swaged down. I own several Single-Sixes and have tested all of them with "Paco Kelly ammo" versus regular ammo. From a bench rest, groups shrink about 50% .... in other words if your gun shoots 2" groups, it will likely shoot 1" groups with ACU’RZR sized ammo. Check out Paco's ad: http://www.leverguns.com/store/acurizer.htm

I've tried several brands of unaltered ammo and oddly enough, match grade 22s shoot the worst in all my Single-Sixes. After bumping up the bullets with an ACU’RZR tool, cheap Federal bulk pack ammo shoots just as well as match grade ammo so that's what I now use.
I just finished sending all requested pics. I was having technical difficulties with my email last night so anyone who requested but didn’t receive pics - let me know.
Thanks
Since this has turned into a flat gate thread, I'll have to post some pics and info about mine! Lol! Seriously though, unnessisary bump for a great revolver!
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
Since this has turned into a flat gate thread, I'll have to post some pics and info about mine! Lol! Seriously though, unnessisary bump for a great revolver!

Ha, any good info is welcomed info - sale aside.

Thanks
Yeah, this deserves to be a flat gate thread. Interesting subject and I think it helps the OP with his sale.

More info the better on these unique, well built old revolvers. They're a lot slicker, IMO, than the new ones, They were slicker to start with and 70 years of cycling an action doesn't hurt. I'd rather have one of these than a new one.

And don't get into a shooting contest, early Single Six, against a new one. Or, at least don't bet too much.... blush

DF
I created a new ad, I’ll leave this one for discussion and use the other one for advertising the sale of the gun.
Thanks
I created a new ad, I’ll leave this one for discussion and use the other one for advertising the sale of the gun.
Thanks

May want to post a link to this one. Lots of good info here, helping to explain that.

I understand trying to keep a classified add clean. Guess I was one of the biggest culprits, spinning this one out of control.

DF
Good point DF

Here’s the link:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/15946479#Post15946479
I think it’s worth initial ask.

Many don’t know the history and significance of this rather rare and historical revolver.

More info the better.

DF
SPF to Cisco
SPF to Cisco

Good deal.

He got a good one.

DF
© 24hourcampfire