Home
I have a couple rifles I’m thinking of selling. One is a 700 bdl chambered in .222, rifle is mint and I was told when I bought it that it’s unfired. The other is a model 700 VS with the stainless barrel and action, this one was said to be unfired as well.. I have the box for the 17 Remington. Curious as to what there worth, I’m only selling because I have found a piece of land I would like to have so I’m going to sell off part of my gun collection. Thanks
Go on Gunbroker and used the advanced search for completed auctions and you will find what they have sold for in the last six months or so. The .222 might go toward $1k. Don't have a clue on the .17 Rem.
Easttnhunter01: The VS (Varmint Special or Varmint Stainless) in 17 Remington is kind of rare, I think, so hard to get a reading on it these days.
I am the only person I have run across that actually owns one of these and I bought it from a member here MANY years ago.
If you do settle on a price for the 17 Remington VS please advise me as I would be a player for it.
The 700 BDL in 222 Remington (as described) should indeed go for $800.00 easily, and more monies slowerly.
If that 700 BDL in 222 Remington is a heavy barrel model then it is a $1,000.00, or so, gun.
Best of luck in the land acquisition.
Hope to hear from you.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I concur with the price assessments you have been given. They directly reflect values I recently encountered. Best wishes, those are beautiful options...
re
Love the way my Savage 24v shoots there .222! I can only imagine how much better the accuracy would be on a 700 receiver👍
PM me when you settle on a price I am interested👍
If you decide to sell Id be interested too..in the .222 Would love to see some pics...
My BDL .222 would be the last rifle I ever sold! Those rifles in today’s market should fetch good money. I would say the prices gave are accurate or maybe on the low end to the person looking for such a rifle.
$1000 + for either in today's market. More on GB.
What is barrel stamp on 222?
Interested in the 17 Remington if you decide to sell
Interested in .17 if u are selling . Pm me
Is the 17 actually a LVSF? Have a stainless fluted barrel? Not aware of Remington making a VS in 17 Rem; know they did for Fireball.
Originally Posted by ingwe
If you decide to sell Id be interested too..in the .222 Would love to see some pics...

Back off. You have enough 222s.

My turn!
I would be interested in the 17 rem as well. Pm me a price please
I got one stainless Rem 700 VS in 17 Remington,Limited run of 500
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by ingwe

Back off. You have enough 222s.

My turn!

I only have two! And another in the works.... laugh
Remingtonclassic: Thanks for that info on the number of these Rifles we own being manufactured - I did not know that.
Thanks again.
How much do YOU figger your Remington 700 VS in 17 Remington is worth?
I have first dibs on the 17 Remington VS so theres that guys!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Mjt21: Indeed the folks at Remington got out there 17 Remington chamber reamers and barrel configuring tools, drills and barrel reamers and carefully made up some heavy (non-fluted!) stainless barrels in 17 Remington.
Mine shoots like a house on fire!
I have a Leupold 6.5x20 variable scope on mine and it shoots the wonderfully accurate and very lethal 25 grain Berger bullets into tiny groups.
I "baby" this Rifle like you would NOT believe - never had a warm barrel, nor rapidly fired - let alone hot-rodded (hot loaded!).
The reason I want to buy the O/P Rifle is... just because.
Come on Big Green get up off the canvas and try to regain your formerly great status.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: I have two other Remington 700's in 17 Remington(a BDL sporter weight and a Classic) and they shoot very well but they don't hold a candle to the Remington 700 heavy barrels (700 VSS) accuracy.
$1350.00 I believe would be a realistic price,Shipped and Insured by the seller,
If anyone is wondering mines not fir sale,
Varmintguy,
So Remington did make one with a true varmint barrel? I think the LVSF was just named for someone shooting just a little bit, appears much more like just a sporter. I was fortunate to find a CZ on here, so hopefully a Cooper or Dakota next. They will be rotated with (2) 22-250s & (2) 223s. Appreciate the info.
Mtj21: Yes they did - and again they are very rare.
Mine has the full size Varmint weight stainless barrel that is 26" long with no fluting. The diameter at the muzzle of the stainless barrel is .832".
According to my loading log book I purchased it used from a member here (IIRC) in April 2,002.
The original owner was a young farmer from the midwest who bought it then quickly decided it wasn't for him and listed it for sale.
I am so thankful he did and I bought it.
It is stunningly accurate.
In fact I only tried one bullet ever in this Rifle and that is the wonderful Berger 25 grain MEF!
I went and fetched the Rifle from a gun safe in my gun vault room to ascertain the barrel code date of manufacture.
And wouldn't you know it this is the ONLY Remington firearm I own that has NO barrel date code!
The barrel is absolutely Remingtons as their proof markings are there and the caliber and Remington logo are prominent and proper.
I did a quick check on the Remington "J" lock and Remington began use of the "J" lock on Remington 700's in 2,002 and ceased its use in 2,005.
I did not know this but the "J" lock was installed on some Remington 870's during that time frame as well.
I also have a Remington 700 VSF (Varmint Synthetic Fluted) in caliber 17 Remington Fireball that I bought new in 2,007 it is a "blued" Rifle (action/barrel).
I am aware of the nifty little Remington 700 LVSF's in 17 Remington and other calibers but I prefer the heavier longer barrels for my Varminting needs.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Remingtonclassic: For comparison purposes may I inquire if your stainless 17 Remington Rifles serial number is in the same range as mine.
My Rifles serial number is: S6399xxx.
AND... if your Rifle is handy does it have the normal Remington barrel date code on the left side of the barrel shank?
Like I mentioned above mine DOESN'T.
TIA
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Varmint Guy PM your phone number ,I'll check tonight and send some pictures,I put a VSSFG2 stock on mine ,Rest is all factory
OP it's been a few days do you have a price on the 760. .222 rem yet? PM me for payment details.
I would be interested in the Remington .17
Three of us buds bought the .17 VSS back @ 2000. They all had horrendous free bore. I'm talking 1/4 to 3/8". One friend got his money back, I held on to mine for awhile as it shot 1/2 to 3/4". Eventually sold it to a guy from KS. Full disclosure. I had my AI Sako and a RRA AR wearing an Lothar Walther 18" tube.
Still do. They are a bit more portable than 26" of stainless truck axle in an HSP stock.
Originally Posted by GoWyo
Three of us buds bought the .17 VSS back @ 2000. They all had horrendous free bore. I'm talking 1/4 to 3/8". One friend got his money back, I held on to mine for awhile as it shot 1/2 to 3/4".

I got one, too. They were a special run of 500 for Zanders. They did have a LONG freebore. I seated my bullets as far out as I could but just enough tension to keep the bullet from falling out of the case - and like GoWyo - it'll easily shoot less than 1/2" with IMR 4320 and Hornady 25 grainers.
Originally Posted by GoWyo
Three of us buds bought the .17 VSS back @ 2000. They all had horrendous free bore. I'm talking 1/4 to 3/8". One friend got his money back, I held on to mine for awhile as it shot 1/2 to 3/4". Eventually sold it to a guy from KS. Full disclosure. I had my AI Sako and a RRA AR wearing an Lothar Walther 18" tube.
Still do. They are a bit more portable than 26" of stainless truck axle in an HSP stock.

My brother and I both bought one each when they were available. Both sucked . They fouled fast and lost accuracy quickly. We pulled the barrels and had them re-barreled. My brother had a Lothar walther barrel put on his and chambered to 17 Rem, still has it and it is a fantastic shooter. His favorite 17. I had a Lilja rebarrel in 17-204 done to mine. Love the 17-204 also. Maybe we just got two bad ones or we were too picky? I'm sure you won't any problem selling it if like new, it your price is reasonable. 17's are getting more valuable and harder to find.
Remingtonclassic: Pardon my slow reply I have been over east checking out two estates of guns for sale all day and left early this morning.
I will P/M my phone numbers right away now that I am back home.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
GoWyo: YOU... kind of make the point for me that I was going to remark on.
Just because a bullet has to "jump" more than the shooter/gun owner thinks need be, DOES NOT mean that said firearm will be inaccurate!
I have proven this to myself a couple dozens of times over the last 55+ years of handloading/load testing for Rifles - granted I think having a slight jump to the leades of the Rifles rifling often makes it quicker to attain best/better accuracy but again NOT always.
ANYONE who tries to contrary this, just has not yet had enough trigger time.
I assume my Remington 700 VSS in 17 Remington was made with the same reamer as were the others posted here about, and my Rifle shoots splendidly!
Of course I take special care to ONLY test for load development/accuracy on the best of condition days.
I have a total of about 340 rounds down the barrel of my Remington 700 VSS in 17 Remington and once the barrel was broke in my load testing consisted of only three different charges of two different powders and ONE bullet.
I will list in chronological order ALL my load test groups (5 shots at 100 yards) sizes with my Rifle.
#1 = .469"
#2 = .851"
#3 = .413" (now with fireformed brass)
#4 = .498"
#5 = .241" (end of load development)
#6 = .196" (this was only a 3 shot group made 2 years later to verify point of impact)
My happiness with the accuracy of my Remington 700 VSS in 17 Remington is the main reason I would like to acquire the O/P's Rifle.
YMMV
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Sgtsmmiii: Please try the wonderful Berger 25 grain bullets in your 17 Remington - I use this bullet in 3 diifferent 17 Remingtons, a 17 MachIV and in my 17 Remington Fireball - and it works wonderfully in all of these.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
VG, it shot ok, but it sooted case necks, and fouled as mentioned above. My AR shoots cleaner. Especially that LW tube. And nothing beats that A-series Sako Hunter stock. Still.
© 24hourcampfire