Home
Posted By: andrews1958 I am Retiring August 6th - 07/23/21
My last day working is August 6th . I am calling it quits at 63 years old. After traveling around the world for 40 plus years with my job, my wife and I are heading back to our homes in Maine to live out the rest of our lives. We are very excited but a bit nervous. I have heard about people dying right after they retire along with boredom.

have a safe full of guns that I have never shot after years and years of collecting and a man cave full of outdoor gear that has also never been used. Any thoughts on your health once you retired. Boredom?
Is that price shipped from an FFL or an individual?
Posted By: DANNYL Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/23/21
Get a hobby you are interested in and enjoy retirement.
Posted By: MaxBB Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/23/21
Congrats and please send me the extra guns!
Fish, hunt, golf, build a chopper anything that will motivate you .
All the best for whatever you choose!
Time to shoot those guns that are collecting dust.
Posted By: JTod Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/23/21
Congrats! You'll have plenty of time to find the right forum for your posts...
Posted By: Terryk Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/23/21
I am looking at early retirement myself. I guess they say get a routine.
Personally I worked from home the last year, so I had a ton of free time. I got a ton done, but always craved more time.
Dogs, exercise, shooting, cooking, gardening, hiking. All probably add to your health and well being.
Congratulations.
Posted By: jmdriver Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/23/21
Congrats. I’m sure you and your wife will enjoy it. Living in Maine and having a safe full of toys to try out seems to be an almost perfect start. I’m jealous.
They put me out on a medical in 2012. Can't do the things I thought I was going to do when I retired. But sure haven't been bored yet.
Sound like you have all the fixens for a good sale. If the price is right.
I also am 63. I retired 3 years ago and couldn't be happier. The first thing i did was drop 40# pounds which were put on from stress. My BP dropped from 90/140 to 75/120. I also have toys collected over the years that i am finally getting the time to use.

Congratulations on making the jump. Some call retirement the last chapter, I call it the first.

WS
Posted By: WStrayer Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/23/21
Stay active. Projects around the house, hunting, shooting, etc
Posted By: Limomaker Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/23/21
I'll take it
Posted By: LazyL0228 Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/23/21
The best to you, I retired at 60 going on 62 I have gained 1lb. in two years, Doc. said that was good. We have 30 acres always to do list, but you make your own list to stay busy. You will be fine.
I just retired first of July and am in that age bracket. Agree with the rest of the comments. You'll have things to do. Get moved, take stock of your gear and start with something that interests you outdoors. Stay active which will keep you in good shape. You've earned the chance to relax and enjoy. Welcome to the retired club. I'm loving it.
Posted By: dajudge43 Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/23/21
Ive been retired 15 years...decided before I retired that I was going to find something to keep me busy. Growing up watching my father make a million dollars in the car, truck, tractor business I started doing that on a smaller level...Love it, working for the state of NC was hell the last 5 years I worked. Now am making extra spending money and spending it as I wish, Matter what U do, not at all just try different things until U find something U enjoy that U do not consider work...Other than my Aunt trying to run me crazy selling things my Uncle accrued this is the happiest time of my life. Remember U have just been promised the time U are alive now, not next week.
Posted By: LouisB Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/23/21
Family, hunt, fish, enjoy "HOME", pick up a few decent to know friends, life will round itself out and you will last a while.
My dad retired after 43 years with the same company. He almost needs to go back to work to get a break. He spends a lot of time with family ans making knives. Which he loves. Happy retirement!
Posted By: NVhntr Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/23/21
If you are in good health, are self motivated and active, in a good relationship, with a few hobbies that keep you moving you will do fine. I've been retired for ten years and haven't had a problem staying healthy or occupied.
As Big Stick would say"Fugg the couch".
Congratulations on your retirement!
Posted By: dukxdog Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/23/21
Posting in the wrong forum is the first sign that the mind is weakening.

Enjoy your years ahead. You earned it. Shoot your guns!
Andrew1958: Congratulations to you!
And get those guns a boomin and gear a workin!
I retired at age 50 and I am now in my 24th year of BLISS.
I never imagined just how wonderful retirement has been/is.
My only regret was not retiring 4 years earlier when I first qualified.
My stress level is at 1/9th of what it was when I was working!
Stress kills - and I hope I enjoy another 12 or 15 years of retirement and low stress.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: hikerbum Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/23/21
Considrr volunteering. I joined the local fir company at 59 years old. Never been busier
Posted By: Whelenman Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/23/21
You are going to find out, that you have less time than before you retired!
Originally Posted by andrews1958
My last day working is August 6th . I am calling it quits at 63 years old. After traveling around the world for 40 plus years with my job, my wife and I are heading back to our homes in Maine to live out the rest of our lives. We are very excited but a bit nervous. I have heard about people dying right after they retire along with boredom.

have a safe full of guns that I have never shot after years and years of collecting and a man cave full of outdoor gear that has also never been used. Any thoughts on your health once you retired. Boredom?

Well IF you get BORED, your Welcome to come WORK ON MY FARMS !

Dirty Harry
Posted By: MD521 Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/23/21
Enjoy your new adventure, every minute of it.
Posted By: Hawkibar Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/23/21
First thing don't tell anyone else you are retiring they will find things for you to do . Just kidding you and your family enjoy your self. Shoot those guns I retired 6 years ago and time passes fast . Best of luck

I retired at 58 also in Maine there are plenty of things to do that will keep you busy year round from fly fishing, hiking ,hunting,target shooting trap or skeet by the way I’m 72 now. Good Luck! Enjoy retirement
Posted By: rd7fox Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/24/21
First thing I realized after retiring- - I should have done this 2-3 years ago
2nd thing- I had a hard time slowing down. I was too used to doing everything on a short schedule. I finally realized every day is Saturday and if I don’t get it done today I’ll do it tomorrow — if I want to
3rd thing - man hunting elk and antelope is addictive. Wish I could have started that when I was 25 or so.
4. I’m busier than ever. Up earlier and to bed later and can’t wait for tomorrow to get more of the “ to do list “ done
It’s what you make of it. Hope for good health and stay in shape.
I retired at 63 last September and I honestly don't know how I ever had time to work. Believe me you'll find plenty to do.
Posted By: G8ters Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/24/21
Bear hunting in Maine will get your blood pumping.
Congratulations on your well deserved finger to the man!
Posted By: DugE Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/24/21
I am not where you are on my journey. Still working and raising kids. But I’m excited for you.

Whatever the stage or setting Proverbs 3:5-10 speaks truth.

God bless you, Sir!!! I pray you have an awesome retirement!
Posted By: MWN Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/24/21
Couple things you will notice: You will have the pick of parking places while shopping during the week. Also much shorter lines at the checkout. Getting appointments will be much easier. You will stay home on weekends (too busy, too crowded)

Volunteering is indeed a good idea. I drove a golf cart in the parking lots at the local VA Hospital giving Vets rides to/from their cars. Now I walk dogs at the local animal shelter.

And your hobbies and projects will keep you plenty busy. And still have time for naps!

Been retired for five years and when I retired I closed that chapter of my life and don't look back.
Posted By: FWP Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/24/21
Originally Posted by WStrayer
Stay active. Projects around the house, hunting, shooting, etc

Good advice but WStrayer forgot to include fishing. grin

Good luck!!

BTW where at in Maine?
Posted By: tpeavy Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/24/21
after a year or so, you'll be further behind than you ever were and will have a thousand unfinished projects. Enjoy
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/24/21
Next August for me at age 64
Retired here too, early 60's now. I'm not going back to work reporting to anybody full time unless the price of rice and beans go extremely high.

Enjoy it,
Posted By: AZtwins Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/24/21
Congrats! Wish I was in your shoes.

I know for sure that I will never be bored! I’m tired of wasting time working.
Posted By: bluefish Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/24/21
I'm in Boothbay. Come have a lobster roll.
Posted By: Bigdog357 Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/24/21
I retired in April at 61, never been happier. I stay busy I have three acres to mow and maintain, my house, garage and a couple sheds all need some work. Driveway needs sealed, several trees need cut down and turned into firewood. I have amassed tons of components to reload 18 different caliber of ammo.I have many guns that I need to dial in the scopes and shoot.Most of them I bought and test fired and threw in the safe due to lack of time (ie working). I frequent gun shows where I setup and sell guns as well as refurbish old neglected guns that I buy. I want to get back into camping as soon as I find the right camper to buy, I have the 7.3 Diesel truck to pull one already.

And yes coming and going when you want to, no alarm clock, taking a nap in the afternoon are all perks of retirement. I found a small adjustment period,just because it is so foreign to those of us that have worked our lives away. I felt a little lost, like I had no purpose in life anymore, that quickly passed. I figure once a lot of my projects are completed if I am board I might possibly get a part time job. Lowes offers a 5am to 9am three day a week gig, Ha, after working 50 to 60 hrs a week all my life I think I could handle 12 hrs a week for fun and a little extra gun money.
Posted By: RAS Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/24/21
I decided to retire at 44, and haven’t experienced a second of boredom since then.
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/24/21
September 23rd I’m done...Hunting, fishing, shooting, reloading and working on the ranch is my new occupation.

And....Drinking beer at 7AM because I can.

🦫
Originally Posted by DANNYL
Get a hobby you are interested in and enjoy retirement.

And get busy. Everyone I've ever known that didn't have an active hobby was dead with 5 years. Or less.....

Kaiser Norton
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/24/21
Retirement is great, Enjoy it.

My grandpa said,,,, get up, dressed and do something worthwhile every day.
Posted By: HeavyLoad Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/24/21
Congrats on your next steps in life’s short journey, Enjoy
Posted By: mart Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/24/21
I retired last year at 61. Four years earlier than planned due to Etta’s dementia. She’s doing well but it’s a good thing I am around for her. The short term memory stuff is very hard for her.

I have had a sawmill as a small side business and run that fairly often and spend quite a bit of time in the winter gathering logs for it. It keeps me busy. I’m so busy this summer with roofing the house and other projects I don’t know how I got anything done when I was working. Wish I could get a few days just to go to the range.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/24/21
Anyone who retires and is bored has to be nucking futs!
Posted By: BobBrown Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/24/21
Happy Retirement. Do what makes your wife happy. Keep score though and always get more from her than you give .
Posted By: BobBrown Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/24/21
Originally Posted by AZtwins
Congrats! Wish I was in your shoes.

I know for sure that I will never be bored! I’m tired of wasting time working.

Why work? Seriously ?
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/24/21
I retired at 58, which was my minimum retirement age plus three years. I left three days before my "official" last day at work and shot a hammer of a nice 6x6 bull elk right about what would have been quitting time. I haven't looked back at all ! Every day is like Saturday now! Enjoy your retirement and just find something to keep you busy.....Engage yourself in a new hobby or intensify your old hobby. My knifemaking went from and expensive hobby to another vocation and I love it.

Congrats!
Posted By: Clarkm Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/25/21
I am 70.
I eat venison every day.
I build rifles.
I help take care of grandkids.
I do vegetable gardening at our house, my son's house, and a friend's house.
I type on my computer.
My plan to get rid of guns when I turn 80 is to drive to the pawn shop and sell them on consignment for 10% commission and 8% tax.
Posted By: g5m Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/25/21
Good for you! Enjoy those years. If you don't plan on using the weapons I'd suggest selling them. Keep what you think you might want or need. They are a burden that someone will sell at some time. I'm going through that myself.

All the best!!
Posted By: lucky13 Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/25/21
Congrats to you ! I was laided off last March due to Covid 19 , after 6 years of supervision, and making some great money, at the age of 60.
I'm 61 now, still out of work, semi- retired, and loving the time off. Just make yourself a hit list of things that need to be done, that you have been kind of
putting off. When your not shooting, or doing FUN things, just take your time and knock them out, one at a time. NO RUSH ! I have 2 dogs
that I love dearly. I think that if I were to go back to work, after the first couple of days, I would come home and find them with they're paws
slashed ! They love having me home, taking walks, and just sitting on the porch in the evenings, and drinking a cold one of course.....
Retirement is great did it at 50 turned 66 past April....have done more and plan on doing more for many years....
Posted By: yogibear Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/26/21
Congradulations, I retired at age 66 in 2012. Love it.
The secret to good health and a long life is stay active. Exercise, & eat simple nutritious foods. Not a lot of processed or resturant foods. Did I say exercise.

If you sit down you die. I watched my dad do that and within 3 years he was dead.
Posted By: Dinny Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/26/21
I retire later this year, one week short of my 46th birthday. I have plans to buy some land and eventually build a forever house. Hopefully I don't go broke buying lumber and other building materials. I guess if that happens I could get a part time job at Lowe's and hope for a decent employee discount.

Dinny
Posted By: tack Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/26/21
I retired at 57 yrs. That was in 1991, After 30 years I am getting close to retiring from retirement. Still a couple of things I want to do.

tack
Posted By: ltppowell Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/26/21

A man has no value once he quits "working". The beauty of "retiring" is that it opens up more opportunities to work that are more appealing.
Posted By: donsm70 Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/26/21
At my wife's urging, I made the decision to retire in 2005 at the age of 55. We both had had successful careers and decided to go for it. With similar interests, we have since traveled to most continents and have been fortunate to hunt in many of them.
The first 12 years were great, but health issues have made a difference. My best advice is "Run 'er 'til she locks up". I'm still trying, but aging does take a toll.
donsm70
Posted By: G8ters Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/26/21
Just turned 48. Really want to give corporate life the middle finger. But my older daughter will start college next year and younger just started high school. Hopefully I can call it quits before 60.

Congratulations to all the retirees. You’ve earned it.
Great to hear, andrews1958! Time to start enjoying your collection and smelling the roses.
Posted By: rong Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/28/21
You have a little over a week to go.....
Congrats.
Posted By: iviax Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/29/21
My brother in law just retired at age 45 since he made a fortune in his 30s. I just helped him to get lots of guns and he's enjoy the hobby so far.

Take your wife to a around world cruise tour. You won't regret it.
Posted By: halfmile Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/29/21
If you don't reload, start now.
Hours of satisfying activity. Also a place to hide when wifey is cranky.

HM
Posted By: Fotis Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/29/21
Congrats!

BTW do you take paypal?
Posted By: VernAK Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/29/21
Maine is a perfect place to canoe the lakes and use that camp gear.

I've been retired 27 years and still do a long canoe trip [down stream] every year......along with a 2 week fishing trip in a remote lake.

Get a small caliber rifle that is pleasant to shoot and get proficient in it's use.

Although I hunt birds, I enjoy a certain amount of bird watching especially during the migration.

RELEGATE THE TV TO THE TRASH PILE!
You'll be busier in retirement because you'll be living at a different pace. The key is don't stop living. I retired from the Military after 26 years, took a job with state retirement, couldn't stand one day, started a bunch of tests over the next 5-6 months, ended up with severe Arthritis (can you say off the chart numbers) , Fibromyalgia, Plantar Fasciitis, and Carpel Tunnel, along with GWI and empty White Matter in the brain. I had a life event that hit my body that flared and haven't been right since. That was before the Heart Attack in 2017. I was healthy, physically fit, ate healthy, never smoked, 1-3 drinks a month if that and no family history of any of the issues I have. When you get the chance, take the money and run. I ended up quitting Tanking a small state retirement because I couldn't physically keep working to go through the process for disability for the state nor mentally prepared to fight for it at the time. I have a 55 Chevy SB I started to hot rod in the barn and there are days I can't pull a wrench if I can even hold it, even shooting mild recoiling hand guns hurts, and drop more things than I can hold. Tomorrow isn't guaranteed, do those projects now, shoot your guns, go fishing and hunting while you have the health. I get up everyday, some easier than other cause I couldn't get comfortable enough to sleep and keep a healthy state of mind, because your body won't let you forget how you feel, and don't be lured by pain pills of other methods of hiding/masking the pain, face it the same way as you do the cold and misery of pursuing the game animal you want to bag, let the want be stronger than the need and you'll succeed. Good luck and enjoy your time.
Posted By: plumbum Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/29/21

The older we get, the more likely we are to drop dead.

The older we get, the more likely we are to retire.

They are correlated, but there is no real causation. We are more likely to drop dead when we retire, not so much because we retire.

However, if retiring means changing from an active life to beer-drinking lethargy, yes there can be health consequences. And boredom is not healthy.

Stay active and you should be no worse off for having retired.

Enjoy it - you've earned it.
Posted By: Bugger Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/29/21
I retired just before I turned 70. I shoot more now than I ever did. The only problem is that it is a long drive to shooting matches.
Wow. Have the most wonderful time of your life!!

I graduated from college at 23.

Spent 5 years concentrating on building a reputation at my company and in the industry.

I got married and my wife and I spent 5 years just learning how to be married and share a life together.

Started having children and continued to do so over the course of the next 5 years. Had our last baby when I was 38.

Last kid won't be out of college until I'm 61 and house isn't schedule to be paid off until I'm 73.

I expected to work everyday until age 73 or die before reaching that goal - praying I don't become sick or disabled in the mean time.

I assumed everyone worked and lived like this.........reading this thread with so many retired young and I'm thinking I made some really bad life choices somewhere in my past.
You are not alone Andrews1958!

My first wife and I were not wise and didn't take saving serious. I lost what little pension and saving I had in the divorce. I got stuck paying her a LOT of alimony every month. I will be eligible for full Social Security next May but I'll try to work until I am 70.

On the other hand my parents were children in the depression and saved like crazy. After a decade of decent retirement my dad got Parkenson's and his care took almost everything they had. My mom lived last June and died 16 days short of her 99th birthday.

so even though I am not proud of not saving better and looking at a pretty spartan retirement; I think about all the things we did do with our kids that enriched all of our lives. My folks didn't indulge themselves much at all and missed out on a lot they could have enjoyed.

So you roll the dice... sometimes you win and sometime you lose no matter how you play the game but you can improve your odds. I guess someplace in between being totally self indulgent and being so frugal you won't treat your self to anything is the place to be.

BTW - The EX passed away a month after my mom did so my take home pay has increase dramatically. She was a sad lonely person at the end. I didn't wish that on her. I am trying to maximize the benefit of that windfall over the rest of my short corporate work life that I have left. We have paid off all of our debt except the mortgage, heavy into the 401K plan now and been buying silver and ammo. For the first time in my adult life I am no longer living pay check to pay check. It feels pretty good.
Thanks for all the great feedback and advice. 8 days and counting (I apologize for posting this in the classifieds. I can blame it on that I am getting old and senile smile )
Posted By: pullit Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/30/21
Hoping to retire next year, but will have to see how the stock market is doing to know for sure.
Congrats
Posted By: pete53 Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/30/21
well congrats on the retirement ! what`s for sale P.M. me please. thanks,Pete53
Best of luck to you. I retired at 52. Bought a small ranch where I could hunt and shoot, remodeled the house that was on it, went on 2 safaris and 2 hunting trips to Argentina. Then I turned 60 and the health problems started. Glad we did what we wanted to do when we were still able.
Don't think to yourself "One of these days I am going to do ......" because one of these days you might not be able to do it. There are no guarantees on tomorrow.
My goal is to live long enough that medical technology can fix whatever goes wrong with me. So far it's working.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/30/21
Retirement is what you make of it. I retired in 1996 at age 46. I hunt all I want in the fall and winter and crappie fish in the spring and summer. The wife and I travel some and I go on a western elk hunt every year. Find a few activities you are interested in and get busy. I retired from the Army and on the day of my out-brief a veteran doctor called all the 0-6s in a room and gave us a short lecture regarding lifespan after retiremen. He said statistics show if you sit in that recliner you'll be dead in 5 to 8 years. Best of luck in your retirement.
Does it include shipping?
Posted By: bluejay75 Re: I am Retiring August 6th - 07/31/21
I am retiring from the Army in the next few months after 28 years. I have been running an outdoor outreach as a non profit for the last 15 years. I have an idea of what I want to do next, but the thought of not soldiering is a little scary to me. Enjoy your retirement. You earned it.

Take the time to master your craft. Shoot a bow. Build an arrow or two. Get close enough to watch the blood splash out across the snow. You have never really experienced hunting until you have patterned a buck for months then get him in range.
© 24hourcampfire