Home
Posted By: mjbgalt Donation idea - 12/01/21
Every Christmas my wife and I "adopt" a family or individual and we use the money we would spend on each other, to help someone. It's a nice feeling to be able to help, and it's more important to me to do that instead of buying each other stuff we will forget about soon.

This year, we have a better opportunity due to a bonus we did not find out about until last night.

I would like to pass on some of this unexpected windfall and help do some good.

Does anyone know of kids who need coats or a family down on their luck or something similar that we might be able to help with? Maybe even a program we can pitch in with or donate to?
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Donation idea - 12/01/21
One of our campfire buds sent a couple hundred bucks to two elementary-aged sisters in need who lost their mom last year, and it made me think about how best to do something similar.
Posted By: 160user Re: Donation idea - 12/01/21
That is EXTREMELY kind of you Sir!
Well the salvation army is off our list after their wokeness. And I think it would be cool to be anonymous to the person who needs something. Just to let them know there are people in the world who still care.

I know I sound sentimental but it's that time of year, right?
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: Donation idea - 12/01/21
We do the "adopt a family" through a local program. But if you end up taking up a collection for a bigger cause, please share the details here about how to contribute. Jackets and shoes (and sadly even toothbrushes and toothpaste) can be a huge deal for kids.
Agreed. I like the coats for kids thing and I would love to start a chapter locally.

I have no idea where to begin however.

But I figured someone on here probably knows someone who lost their job or got hurt or is in need in some way for now.
Posted By: donsm70 Re: Donation idea - 12/01/21
Count me in if you come up with a good cause.
donsm70
Posted By: thehospitabledoc Re: Donation idea - 12/01/21
Count me in too. I’ve done things like this locally through the SA but would be willing to do something if 24hr decides to do so.
Heck this might be cool to get us all together and really make a big difference somewhere...
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: Donation idea - 12/01/21
Is there an orphanage or children's shelter in your area? If you and your wife were willing to do the leg work of buying coats and stuff, I bet lots of guys would pitch in.
Hmm
Posted By: HShunter36 Re: Donation idea - 12/01/21
If you get sometime started let me know. My family would be willing to donate. I’m located in South Eastern Ohio.
Posted By: basdjs Re: Donation idea - 12/01/21
I’d suggest checking with a principal or two at your local elementary or middle school. They, or their staff members, will probably know of some kids in real need. Kudos for your generosity.
Originally Posted by basdjs
I’d suggest checking with a principal or two at your local elementary or middle school. They, or their staff members, will probably know of some kids in real need. Kudos for your generosity.

Damn good idea
Posted By: 257bobber Re: Donation idea - 12/01/21
Well done, and kudos to you and the Mrs. Keep us posted if you need anything or looking for specific items.
I decided to donate to IBH Recovery, an addiction therapy place that saved the life of a couple people I met and worked with last year who got hooked on some nasty stuff and rebuilt their entire lives...pretty impressive and I am thankful to have them in my life.

I am also going to followup with some places locally.
Posted By: boatboy Re: Donation idea - 12/01/21
Great conversation

Hank
Posted By: EdM Re: Donation idea - 12/01/21
Originally Posted by boatboy
Great conversation

Hank

Agree. Well done. We will cut checks in December for St. Judes and our local volunteer fire department. Thankfully, though retired, my company will still match.
Awesome idea. Did not think of st Jude's.
Posted By: 160user Re: Donation idea - 12/01/21
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Awesome idea. Did not think of st Jude's.

That is a great one. You reminded me that many years ago my Dad ended up in the VA unexpectedly and a place called the "Fisher House" took care of my Mother, gave her a place to stay and never charged her a dime. In the spirit of this thread, I believe I need to drain my bank account for a good cause.
Yep. Fisher house is another good one
Posted By: Crappie_Killer Re: Donation idea - 12/01/21
Local volunteer fire departments is where my money would go. Several spend their own money on radios or upgraded gear. I was a member for over 20 years. The community supports our local and they were rewarded with an ISO rating that lowered their taxes.
Posted By: ALLongshot Re: Donation idea - 12/01/21
I used to do things like this until I found out some of the "In need" families were just taking the gifts they got back to the stores and using that $$ to buy cigarettes and other crap. Needless to say as much as I thought I was helping the "Family" I wasn't helping the kids in that family.Then Tragedy stuck one of my best friends family and his Son was diagnosed with cancer. After seeing how the entire family was treated by St Judes Hospital in Memphis TN. I said that they are truely a cause worth supporting and have since made them the focus of all my giving.
Watching an active teenager become so sick and go through all the treatments and be drained down to half his previous size and then to see him recover and hear the stories of all the Doctors and Nurses and all the other people working there and the motivation and hard work they all put in, I know that they are worthy of everything and more that I can give.
I will say that I do still help when I find people that are truely in need but St Judes is always going to receive something from me
Posted By: RAS Re: Donation idea - 12/01/21
We did the same thing this year but we found a local family.

As a result of being local, we were able to get the exact items needed for the kids. No longer will they be going to school this year with worn out ratty clothes or shoes. And their Christmas is going to have some nice gifts that they want.

There are a lot of great charities, but I would recommend finding a local family. Social services or pastors in your area will help you find one. Every town has a family like this. Find them and make a difference. You will be successful.
Up for more ideas
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Donation idea - 12/01/21
I am friends with some local Commercial fishermen/watermen (GREAT GREAT GUYS... three brothers running three different 60' boats)...

One of their sons (1st mate to his dad)... on his day off, hanging out with friends... hot July day... dove in the water to cool off... and broke his neck twice (two vertebrae).

FYI... I watched William Scott unloading menhaden (bunkers) back in the spring. He was picking up full 40 gallons barrels of fish... damn near one handed... quite possibly the strongest man I have ever seen.

He JUST got back from Atlanta rehad (5 days ago)... and his dad JUST went back to fishing (2 days ago)... Mom is taking care of William Scott full time... his recovery is brutally slow. I am certain the bills are waist high for them.

Many of us locally have helped... it is a small community and they are super strong proud people.

This is the link... https://www.gofundme.com/f/william-scott-smith

If you want to Google more info try "William Scott Smith Mathews Virginia"

If anyone want to help (outside of GoFundMe)... they can drop me a PM and I will solve anything that needs solving.
Thanks that's a good start.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: Donation idea - 12/02/21
Originally Posted by CashisKing
I am friends with some local Commercial fishermen/watermen (GREAT GREAT GUYS... three brothers running three different 60' boats)...

One of their sons (1st mate to his dad)... on his day off, hanging out with friends... hot July day... dove in the water to cool off... and broke his neck twice (two vertebrae).

FYI... I watched William Scott unloading menhaden (bunkers) back in the spring. He was picking up full 40 gallons barrels of fish... damn near one handed... quite possibly the strongest man I have ever seen.

He JUST got back from Atlanta rehad (5 days ago)... and his dad JUST went back to fishing (2 days ago)... Mom is taking care of William Scott full time... his recovery is brutally slow. I am certain the bills are waist high for them.

Many of us locally have helped... it is a small community and they are super strong proud people.

This is the link... https://www.gofundme.com/f/william-scott-smith

If you want to Google more info try "William Scott Smith Mathews Virginia"

If anyone want to help (outside of GoFundMe)... they can drop me a PM and I will solve anything that needs solving.

P.S. Anyone that cares to share this information to a wider audience than 24 Hour Campfire... has my blessings to do so.
Posted By: longshot3631 Re: Donation idea - 12/02/21
Originally Posted by basdjs

Damn good idea

I’m a high school principal and you’d be shocked of the amount of kids truly in need. I have 996 kids in my school and nearly half live below the poverty line and I’m the RICH school in our county!

Keep sharing gentlemen, so many people on here that understand life.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Donation idea - 12/02/21
Agreed. I like the coats for kids thing and I would love to start a chapter locally.

I have no idea where to begin however.

But I figured someone on here probably knows someone who lost their job or got hurt or is in need in some way for now.

TV station out of Albuquerque is big into the "Coats for Kids" program. They may be able to offer guidance.
Appropriately - KOAT-TV.
Posted By: DugE Re: Donation idea - 12/02/21
Local school counselors will know who has a genuine need. They have insight into the who and what.

Also, local DHR needs gift bags for kids who are taken out of their homes. A gift bag with coloring books, dolls, toy cars, etc. goes a long way for a child who’s just been taken from their family for their own safety.

Blessings, Gentlemen!!!
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Donation idea - 12/03/21
I donated $200. Anyone want to match me
Posted By: donsm70 Re: Donation idea - 12/03/21

What did you donate to?
donsm70
Posted By: Sponxx Re: Donation idea - 12/04/21
Every Christmas my wife and I "adopt" a family or individual and we use the money we would spend on each other, to help someone. It's a nice feeling to be able to help, and it's more important to me to do that instead of buying each other stuff we will forget about soon.

This year, we have a better opportunity due to a bonus we did not find out about until last night.

I would like to pass on some of this unexpected windfall and help do some good.

Does anyone know of kids who need coats or a family down on their luck or something similar that we might be able to help with? Maybe even a program we can pitch in with or donate to?

This is extremely nice.

I will put a plug for an organization we created in Peru. We collect money and make waterproof jackets for children in the Andes. All of the work of everyone involved is pro-bono, and every penny goes to making the coats. Locals are employed so it even helps the community. When the coats are distributed, those who belong to the group go along (with their own money) and hands to coats IN HAND to the children, so no agendas can be favored. No tags, no names, just helping children in need.

Website is Sonqoperu.com and the story and info is all there, for those interested, donations can be made on the website too.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Donation idea - 12/04/21
Originally Posted by donsm70

What did you donate to?
donsm70

I meant match my amount. Anywhere you want. I gave $100 anonymously to a family with a health problem which has cost them a job. Also to a counseling center here locally who have done some great work for a couple friends in some dark times.
Posted By: RAS Re: Donation idea - 12/04/21
Another great source for finding kids in need, is school bus drivers. They see the conditions that these kids come from. Kids are often told to be quiet. I personally know a local school bus driver that raids the thrift stores getting coats, shoes, boots for kids that are in need.
Posted By: RAS Re: Donation idea - 12/04/21
Oh, one more.

Your local county Veteran Service Officer (VSO) will know of some elderly vets struggling. We ensure a grocery store gift card gets to him for donation every Christmas. Challenge your friends to match your amount for double the goodness.

Most people are very generous. I served in the Toys for Tots program for a few years in NY. It seems the poorer areas I volunteered seem to give the most. Probably because they know being broke sucks.
Posted By: donsm70 Re: Donation idea - 12/04/21
I will pledge $500 to a local charity. My kids might not agree, but quite frankly, they don't need it as much as many others.
donsm70
Posted By: dajudge43 Re: Donation idea - 12/04/21
All of the different ideas are great, Which I would like to propose this one...Sign on to be a organ donor, it will not cost U nothing and at the same time will help to save another humans life. I know this and was unaware of this process until my son developed non-alcoholic cirrhosis of the liver and as of this date is recovering after a liver transplant. Just think about it and even if just 1 person does this it will be a help.
Posted By: IA_fog Re: Donation idea - 12/04/21
The food pantry’s around here are struggling with getting donated food.
‘We buy fruit from ffa and donate some each year at Christmas and we donate extra goods from our garden during the summer.
We bought a turkey and you got a free ham so we donating that ham and another this season too
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: Donation idea - 12/04/21
Up
© 24hourcampfire