Home
TRAVELING HUNTERS BEWARE!!!
I have a friend who was traveling to Illinois and decided to stop near Columbus Ohio for some rest. Because the hotel had a “no firearms allowed” policy he decided to lock his guns in his truck( huge mistake!) While he was resting , his rear window was smashed and his guns were stolen. Local Police would not respond due to COVID and took a report over the phone. They explained that there are organized groups who look for out of state plates on trucks, have people watching parking areas and even have people inside giving notice to thieves. he lost a Savage 220 (Thumbhole) and this one below which really hurts.
Please share, keep a lookout and warn other hunters. PM me if you see this gun.

Bestill Creations .45 cal smokeless muzzleloader

Specifics:
Action: Pierce single shot
Stock: McMillan A5 l, coyote ambush color, 4 quick detach cups, front picatinny rail
Scope: Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25
Rings: Burris XTR
Brake: LR customs 3 port
Serial number: 20D144ML

Attached picture 08B43C20-EE2C-4075-9AB6-A1FE0A85645C.jpeg
This is the biggest reason I never ever put hunting or gun related stickers on my vehicles.

I see Browning, Ruger, Glock, and Leupold stickers all the time here and that's nothing but a huge neon sign saying, follow me home and I'll show u where I store all my guns.
Originally Posted by fredhorace77
This is the biggest reason I never ever put hunting or gun related stickers on my vehicles.

I see Browning, Ruger, Glock, and Leupold stickers all the time here and that's nothing but a huge neon sign saying, follow me home and I'll show u where I store all my guns.

Exactly. Don't make yourself a target. And [bleep] the no guns policy. Sneak that [bleep] into your room anyways, under the guise of "camera equipment" or some other nonsense. Guns stay within arms reach at all times when you're traveling. Or in sight at minimum.
Ugh. That sucks. I avoid leaving guns in the truck at nearly all costs. Would rather plead "ignorance" of hotel rules than need to file a police report. But I can't fault him for following the rules,
Replacement cost of this custom Muzzleloader is over $9000
My wife and I travel to San Antonio, TX every year for 2 weeks for the National Sporting Clays Championship. San Antonio is the highest theft city of any I have visited. I shoot a $30,000 plus Perazzi. Any firearm related stickers on the vehicle are definitely a no-no, just asking for trouble.
Sorry for your friends’ loss. I hope they are recovered.
Rick
Need one of those golf club bag gun cases.
Another friend suggested using one of those big Hockey bags on wheels. Put your gun cases in that and wheel into your room.
I’m puzzled about the lack of a response due to COVID. Thats ridiculous and I am a LEO. Hope you were able to supply serial numbers so they can be entered into NCIC as stolen.
I would have found another hotel or slept in the truck.
He said he begged the PD to come and take a report. He gave all his info, serial numbers etc over the phone. The officer said there is a special task force in the area for stolen guns, This is at its peak this time of year with the all traveling hunters.
Hate to say but he’ll probably never see them again I live about 45 min east of Columbus and a buddy of mine had stuff stolen had video from cameras and witnesses and hasn’t heard anything from the so called task force in about 3 yrs when it happened
I am just imagining Junebug looking at the muzzleloader and saying "where da bullets go??"
would have slept in the truck
I’m one hour East of Columbus off Interstate 70. I’ll keep my eyes open and share the information.
Originally Posted by HShunter36
I’m one hour East of Columbus off Interstate 70. I’ll keep my eyes open and share the information.

If ya don’t mind me asking where about you located off 70 ?
Hilton Garden Inn Polaris
So it wasn’t the “ No Tell Motel”
As he said “ I thought I was in a nice area”
I always bring my guns in. Don't ask, don't tell kinda policy. Never been asked to leave. Had plenty of folks ask me where I'm headed to hunt.
Just a quick thought. The muzzleloader is not considered a firearm technically, so I doubt they look very hard for it, and he could have brought that one inside and not been in violation of the no firearms rule. Casue it's not classified as a real firearm.
Tuff Pak is your friend. Looks like a hard golf case. You can roll it right through the lobby of the hotel without any issues.
Originally Posted by sidepass
Need one of those golf club bag gun cases.

They’re called Nal Pak. I have one.

And why would a hunter/gun owner stay in a no gun hotel. That was his mistake.

Hope he gets the guns back.
Originally Posted by asheepdog
I’m puzzled about the lack of a response due to COVID. Thats ridiculous and I am a LEO. Hope you were able to supply serial numbers so they can be entered into NCIC as stolen.

I had a buddy last year get his truck broken into in Colorado. They took a $300 knife, his kimber pistol and some other stuff. Same story, local PD wouldn't come over and take a report, dust for prints, nothing. I could understand if a gun wasn't involved; but could not understand it since one was.
9k worth of firearm is going to my room with me, don’t care about the motel’s rules. That’s silly to leave it out in the truck in a parking lot.

Somewhat disturbing that LE would only respond over the phone. If a fella knew who the bad guys were would they call them and ask them to come in if they had their vax card?
Originally Posted by Jomo
Replacement cost of this custom Muzzleloader is over $9000

They'll be lucky to get $100 for it at the friendly local pawn shop.
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I always bring my guns in. Don't ask, don't tell kinda policy. Never been asked to leave. Had plenty of folks ask me where I'm headed to hunt.

Me too!
Originally Posted by marksman1941

Exactly. Don't make yourself a target. And [bleep] the no guns policy. Sneak that [bleep] into your room anyways, under the guise of "camera equipment" or some other nonsense. Guns stay within arms reach at all times when you're traveling. Or in sight at minimum.
EXACTLY........
I’ve never asked a hotel about their policy, I just bring my stuff in.
Originally Posted by micky
I’ve never asked a hotel about their policy, I just bring my stuff in.

This⬆️

Use a rectangular case and if they ask, it’s your bassoon. Worst they can do is make you leave.
I would take that hotel rule, since there is no penalty of law, about as seriously as a no concealed carry rule on private property...Tom
I spend about 70 days a year in hotels 99% for work and do mostly Hiltons and HI expresses, but when I travel for hunting I look for motels where I have direct access to my room even if they aren't as nice, so I can bring in guns and valuables and park right in front of the room.

Stickers on a car are just a invitation. Conservative ones can get your car vandalized, so can hunting ones, Gun ones are worse, its an invite to broken into or if you have to drive through a restrictive area are an invitation to get pulled over by a cop looking for an easy felony arrest.

Exactly! Why Advertise! The Crooks are Looking for any Tips!
never listened to a clerk or asked when it came to any of my rights

always check in, drive to get dinner and park where I can see the car while eating .
then take them into the room .

WHY the hell would anybody leave expensive items in a car in a parking lot overnight???!
My Son shoots Sporting Clays all over the US.He has a built in safe in his truck bed with sliding drawers.The safe has its own power source and alarm system.The lock is coded and there no visible ways to pry the drawers open.He has an electronic lock down on the engine so only he can start it.This is well designed system ,but it is not cheap.When you consider how much he has invested in shotguns and ammo,it is well worth the cost.I don`t remember the systems name,but will try and find out.
© 24hourcampfire