Home
Looking to sell my 1956 Winchester Model 70 in .270 win. Gun is in overall good shape. Blueing and metal are in great condition while the stock does show its age. Stock has been cut and recoil pad was added at some point. Asking $1000. More pics available upon request.

[img]https://m.imgur.com/uyLaV11[/img]

Attached File
Why am I not seeing the pad in the picture?
What is the barrel length?
Tagged for the answers to those questions.

Thanks, Dinny
Appears to be a featherweight - bucket list rifle for me...
Against my better judgment, I’m going to take this. Sending you a PM.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Against my better judgment, I’m going to take this. Sending you a PM.

68 total posts and the description and pictures don’t match. Just looking out for you buddy.
Shew….I truly hope it works out buddy
FWIW:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...5/refinishing-a-pre64-stock#Post16526685
Originally Posted by loneguitar
Looking to sell my 1956 Winchester Model 70 in .270 win. Gun is in overall good shape. Blueing and metal are in great condition while the stock does show its age. Stock has been cut and recoil pad was added at some point. Asking $1000. More pics available upon request.

[img]https://m.imgur.com/uyLaV11[/img]

So, did you attempt to refinish this?

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...5/refinishing-a-pre64-stock#Post16526685

If that’s in fact the case I think I will need to pass.
Thanks for that link Great Waputi.
OP has logged on multiple times since my post yesterday and read my PM.

Negative contact on this thread and PM; I’m withdrawing entirely.

Skaredy Cat!!

🤣
And off it goes to Gunbroker 😂
Sorry for the delayed response. I posted before a delayed flight home from Disney with my family and headed to work this morning. Currently at work after catching up on some things. I did not attempt to refinish, I mounted a 4x12 scope on it and sighted it in for deer season this year, but unfortunately never got to use it. It is a featherweight, I will have to measure the barrel length. I appreciate the healthy skepticism due to my low post count, but can provide references here on the fire if needed. And no it won't being going to gunbroker, I have only ever purchased from there not sold.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/16318768#Post16318768

Here is an album with pics from several months back.
I can certainly appreciate the delayed flight with family deal.

On another thread you had posted that after you removed the pad you found that it was not cut. In this ad you stated that it has been cut. Can you clarify?
Sure, but first let me say that I cam not super knowledgeable regarding pre-64 model 70s and that is my fault and where my confusion came from. When I picked up the rifle I saw that the cutout area at the top of the stock where the butt plate fits (not sure what to call it) was still there. Due to that I thought that maybe it hadn't been cut when the rubber pad was installed and all I would need to do was order a butt plate. I then ordered a pre-64 butt plate from pre64win.com and when it came in it didn't fit and led me to realize that evidently when a rubber pad is fitted the have to remove some wood for the rubber butt pad to fit. I hope that makes sense. Anyway, I returned the butt plate after that.
Not a bad looking Featherweight. Looks like the butt was cut just enough to flatten the surface to mount the pad. A quick measurement would tell the tale. An original could probably be refit without much loss in length of pull if you wanted the original plate.
I get just under 14.5 inches for length of pull from center of trigger to butt pad. Also for those who asked, barrel is 22”.
Bump
Bump

You did see AKWolverine said he'd take it??
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Bump

Under further review. AKW gave it a pass.

🦫

Yes we have discussed it.
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Bump

Under further review. AKW gave it a pass.

🦫

Gotcha, thanks!
I can't tell from the pics for sure but is this rifle drilled on the side of the receiver for a sidemount scope?
Originally Posted by gunnut308

Skaredy Cat!!

🤣

What a woos...
Originally Posted by tmitch
Not a bad looking Featherweight. Looks like the butt was cut just enough to flatten the surface to mount the pad. A quick measurement would tell the tale. An original could probably be refit without much loss in length of pull if you wanted the original plate.

Its cut man. Any way you slice it.. GLWS..
Originally Posted by 1911a1
I can't tell from the pics for sure but is this rifle drilled on the side of the receiver for a sidemount scope?

1911, it does not appear to be drilled on the side of the receiver. It just has a funky mount system. I know some of you guys know what it is, but its getting late. Op should show a better pic of the rifle without the mount on and a good picture of the left side of the receiver and the top where it is drilled and tapped on the bridges. Pictures of the bolt face and crown should also be shown. This would give us a better idea on how much the rifle has been shot. Also, show us a pic of the butt where he says the widows peak is. For what the op wants for the rifle, it doesn't seem like a bad deal. But I wouldn't buy it without seeing the pics I described. Any extra holes drilled in the receiver and everything goes out the window..
Getting kids ready for school and myself ready for work. I’ll try and take some before I leave the house. If not then, when I get home this evening.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/16856839#Post16856839

Here are some pics of the areas bsa suggested. I wasn't able to get a pic of the top of the receiver with out removing the scope and didn't have the time to do that this morning. Also I forgot to take a pic of where the stock meets the buttpad.
The new pictures show a totally different mount than the tip offs in the original pictures.
Originally Posted by 160user
The new pictures show a totally different mount than the tip offs in the original pictures.

Yes, as I mentioned earlier I put a 4x12 on it to hunt with this year and never made it out. It currently has Talley mounts.

The mounts in the first pictures are top mount Pachmayr Lo-Swing. They made both top and side mount versions. Kinda old school cool.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

That is true however it's not being sold, or priced, as a mint collectors piece. Only pointing it out because some people, myself included, would rather have the aluminium buttplate minus maybe a 1/4" LOP rather than a rubber pad....TETO

The mounts in the first pictures are top mount Pachmayr Lo-Swing. They made both top and side mount versions. Kinda old school cool.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

That is true however it's not being sold, or priced, as a mint collectors piece. Only pointing it out because some people, myself included, would rather have the aluminium buttplate minus maybe a 1/4" LOP rather than a rubber pad....TETO

There is no one that wants an aluminum butt plate if the stock has been cut. Even if it has only been straightened up and a 1/4" slice taken out. At that point, all collector value has been lost and you might as well be running a red pachmayr to soak up the recoil. Its exactly the same as if someone cut it to install a pad, or glass bedded it, or tried to refinish it. Its ludicrous to suggest otherwise. Furthermore, if you read in one of my other posts, I believe the rifle is priced fairly. The op is also doing his best to represent his rifle with pictures as well. If I were looking for a good pre 64 270 fwt that I'd throw in a Mcmillan and rock on, this would be the one. Like I said earlier, it does not appear to be drilled and tapped on the side of the receiver, but I don't believe the op has said for sure. That would be the biggest detractor, like I said earlier.. Also keep in mind these rifles have a huge following and most guys like keeping them mostly original, if not all original. Price is always a reflection of condition and originality..

He may be as honest as the day is long but the only way I'd buy something off here is without what has went on in this thread.
I have no problem with the seller I just don't have any fascination for Pre-64 I think he has stated "old" pics in 1st thread and updated accordingly.

Honestly the rifle plain without mounts/rings etc is probably worth the asking price.
Originally Posted by Jim1611

He may be as honest as the day is long but the only way I'd buy something off here is without what has went on in this thread.

My initial hesitation with posting an “I’ll take it” was the description did not match the picture that the OP provided. Then after I had posted an “I’ll take it” and p.m. to the seller to work out shipping details there was no response despite the OP having logged on well after both communications. The following day when there had still been no communication, despite the seller having logged on - that was when concern over something awry became great enough for me to withdraw.

I have since communicated with the seller and understand his side of things. I get being busy and traveling and having limited connectivity. I simply told him that a quick p.m. stating “traveling, will catch up with details later” would have allayed my fears.

It’s a good lesson for all. It simply gets back to communication is key and I’ll admit sometimes I am not the best either - as we all have life issues which sometimes get in the way.

As it stands, and after having communicated with the seller, I think he is an honest seller offering a nice deal for someone looking for a good condition shooter grade 270 featherweight.
At this point I feel like it will be best for me to list this rifle locally and withdraw my WTS from the campfire. It was probably a poor decision from myself to list it while sitting at the airport when communication in a purchase such as this is important. After the downward spiral of this thread I think my chances of moving it on here are slim. I don't hold any hard feelings toward anyone and acknowledge that I should have communicated earlier with AKW. It is what it is. I will list locally.
If I had all the Model 70s. I cutem all that way maybe most of them would see use instead of the dark corner of a safe.
But then again probably %80 of Fieldcrafts are still in the box they shipped in lol
© 24hourcampfire