Home
Posted By: boatboy Warning PSA - 05/19/22
Hey guys I posted a want to buy in the classifieds
And got a couple texts and they just didn’t seem right
Not sure if outsiders are combing ads to find suckers
Or what’s going on

It seems like the magic question is what’s your name on the fire?
That halts progress asap
Never had this issue here before

Just a heads up
Hank
Posted By: dejr2000 Re: Warning PSA - 05/19/22
Thanks for the tip
Posted By: PSH Re: Warning PSA - 05/19/22
Originally Posted by dejr2000
Thanks for the tip
+1
Posted By: lubbockdave Re: Warning PSA - 05/19/22
Maybe one was INKK? Had him hit me up a couple hours after posting "WTB fieldcraft"-he has a NIB .308 he'd sell ya for $1200...he even has pics of the gun. Asked for a pic of the bolt face and the SOB sent one of those as well. BUT... work has him tied up from here to the end of time so much he can't make any phone calls or accept calls. His text msgs are pretty choppy as well. But if you want a hella good deal on a fieldcraft feel free to reach out to him wink
Posted By: splattermatic Re: Warning PSA - 05/19/22
How'd they get your number to send you a text ?
Posted By: shootem Re: Warning PSA - 05/19/22
As good as most folks are here I’d still be leery of posting my phone number for general consumption. just sayin
Posted By: lubbockdave Re: Warning PSA - 05/19/22
Originally Posted by splattermatic
How'd they get your number to send you a text ?

I asked for a number to text him.
Posted By: SRPI89 Re: Warning PSA - 05/19/22
I got popped for $1300 trying to buy a kimber select grade a few months ago. I asked him to put a piece of paper with the date and my “fire” handle on the gun and send me a picture. H sent me the picture. He also sent me his ffl and his id. Claimed to be a Tennessee LEO. I thought that was good enough and sent him the $. No gun showed. It was a photoshopped picture and the LEO in TN had his identity stolen. It was a terrible feeling. X10 on getting them to id themselves on the forum.
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Warning PSA - 05/19/22
Never post any personal contact information on a public worldwide forum for any person on earth to contact you.

If you make a deal over the internet, be sure to call, CALL the person you will be dealing with. Ask them QUESTIONS about what they are selling.
Posted By: MARCEL Re: Warning PSA - 05/19/22
Thanks for the heads up
Posted By: Rodney482 Re: Warning PSA - 05/19/22
Use “Looking for” or “in search of”

Scammers key in on WTB
Posted By: jc189 Re: Warning PSA - 05/19/22
Originally Posted by Rodney482

Scammers key in on WTB

Good tip, Thanks.
Posted By: pullit Re: Warning PSA - 05/19/22
Thanks for the heads up,
I was scammed on here about 2 years ago on a Tikka 7mm Mag. Not a good feeling and hope that nobody else has to go thru that.
Posted By: taylorce1 Re: Warning PSA - 05/19/22
Originally Posted by SRPI89
I asked him to put a piece of paper with the date and my “fire” handle on the gun and send me a picture. H sent me the picture..... It was a photoshopped picture and the LEO in TN had his identity stolen. It was a terrible feeling. X10 on getting them to id themselves on the forum.

I knew the paper in picture could be faked pretty easily and it's getting harder to figure it out as these scum bags get better and more bold in their scams. I'm sorry you're out $1300, but hopefully that TN LEO has a hard-on for this scum bag and finds him and takes out some work frustration on him.
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Warning PSA - 05/19/22
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Never post any personal contact information on a public worldwide forum for any person on earth to contact you.
I, literally, cringe every time I see someone do this.
Posted By: Darryle Re: Warning PSA - 05/19/22
Originally Posted by Rodney482

Scammers key in on WTB

That is a good suggestion

I use:

"Do any of you knuckleheads have..........?"
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Warning PSA - 05/19/22
Anyone that would try to scam Hank needs an asswhooping.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Warning PSA - 05/19/22

If you make a deal over the internet, be sure to call, CALL the person you will be dealing with. Ask them QUESTIONS about what they are selling.
This. Had one guy shut up when I asked about a phone call. His pics were photoshopped. I too asked for a card w date and username next to pistol, photoshopped.

I asked for a very specific pic of pistol and no reply again.

Easy to figure em out.
Posted By: hanco Re: Warning PSA - 05/19/22
I’m sorry some of you all lost money.
Posted By: DANNYL Re: Warning PSA - 05/19/22
Not just the money but I'd like revenge. Thanks for the tip.
Posted By: centershot Re: Warning PSA - 05/19/22
I'm in the midst of a strange dealing over on RimfireCentral right now. No money has changed hands, but vetting the seller closely. Because, someone else posted the same item for sale using the same pictures. I like the idea of having a current picture with a date.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Warning PSA - 05/19/22
Originally Posted by centershot
I'm in the midst of a strange dealing over on RimfireCentral right now. No money has changed hands, but vetting the seller closely. Because, someone else posted the same item for sale using the same pictures. I like the idea of having a current picture with a date.
Can still be manipulated w photoshop unless you as for something goofy.

If you feel it is strange then just walk away.
Posted By: wyosteve Re: Warning PSA - 05/19/22
This has been going on so long with photoshopping 'name on piece of paper', I don't understand why people still fall for it. The somewhat safest way is to FaceTime/video chat with the seller and have them hold the item they claim to be selling. Still not 100% because they might not ship after you pay, but it's pretty darn hard to fake the video chat
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Warning PSA - 05/19/22
Originally Posted by wyosteve
This has been going on so long with photoshopping 'name on piece of paper', I don't understand why people still fall for it. The somewhat safest way is to FaceTime/video chat with the seller and have them hold the item they claim to be selling. Still not 100% because they might not ship after you pay, but it's pretty darn hard to fake the video chat
This. A chat or phone call will root out 99.9% of scammers.
Posted By: fredhorace77 Re: Warning PSA - 05/19/22
As bad as the scams are getting, what's wrong with making them ship the item first, then pay when it arrives. There's nothing set in stone that says payment must come first.
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: Warning PSA - 05/20/22
Originally Posted by fredhorace77
As bad as the scams are getting, what's wrong with making them ship the item first, then pay when it arrives. There's nothing set in stone that says payment must come first.
You willing to ship a $700 dollar rifle w no payment?

If so sell me something of value.
Posted By: boatboy Re: Warning PSA - 05/20/22
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Anyone that would try to scam Hank needs an asswhooping.

😂😂😂

Thank You My Friend
This has a been good info thread

Hank
Posted By: fredhorace77 Re: Warning PSA - 05/20/22
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

I don't understand why you think that's any different than shipping $700 with no rifle in hand?
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Warning PSA - 05/20/22

Sorry Fred!

And yet the buyer sends $700 (sometimes +shipping)with no rifle in hand?
Someone has to be first/trust.
Posted By: Ironeyes Re: Warning PSA - 05/20/22
For items that aren't firearms you can always ship C.O.D.
Posted By: Ironeyes Re: Warning PSA - 05/20/22
Might even be able to do firearms if the buyer leaves payment with his FFL
Posted By: boatboy Re: Warning PSA - 05/20/22
Originally Posted by Ironeyes
Might even be able to do firearms if the buyer leaves payment with his FFL

That’s a very interesting thought

The problem a real rascal could ship a brick normally you can’t open before you pay the driver

But this should warrant some thought

Hank
Posted By: cotis Re: Warning PSA - 05/20/22
Originally Posted by lubbockdave
Maybe one was INKK? Had him hit me up a couple hours after posting "WTB fieldcraft"-he has a NIB .308 he'd sell ya for $1200...he even has pics of the gun. Asked for a pic of the bolt face and the SOB sent one of those as well. BUT... work has him tied up from here to the end of time so much he can't make any phone calls or accept calls. His text msgs are pretty choppy as well. But if you want a hella good deal on a fieldcraft feel free to reach out to him wink

Same thing on a Swarovski Z3…
Posted By: remingtonman Re: Warning PSA - 05/21/22

This. Had one guy shut up when I asked about a phone call. His pics were photoshopped. I too asked for a card w date and username next to pistol, photoshopped.

I asked for a very specific pic of pistol and no reply again.

Easy to figure em out.

This isn’t always the case either. I’ve asked if I could speak on the phone with whomever and they agreed, the tell tale sign though when I called the individual was his towel head accent that told me everything I need to know 😡😡
Posted By: Offshoreman Re: Warning PSA - 05/21/22
What really is frustrating is that there is no dedicated state or federal law enforcement efforts targeting this and phone scams. The technology is there to run down bad actors thru their phone numbers and emails, URL's, etc.
Posted By: lubbockdave Re: Warning PSA - 05/21/22
I still have INKK number if y’all wanna barrage him with words of encouragement and whatnot
Posted By: saddlering Re: Warning PSA - 05/21/22
I also look at post count, and name. I won't buy from a guy I don't know, if it's more, than a $100.00 or so! With postal rates going up I'm about done selling, on the net.
© 24hourcampfire