Home
Posted By: Lonny Portable shooting Bench Brackets - 05/30/22
If anybody is needing a set of bench brackets, send me a PM or email if your post count is low and the PM function does not work for you yet. lonnylisa"at"outlook.com Lose the "at" with @.

Brackets can be 3 or 4 to a set, whetever you prefer for building your own bench. Most people like 3 legged benches because they don't wobble on unlevel ground, but 4 legs are fine if you want the added leg for stability.

A set of 3 is $55 shipped and a set of 4 is $70 shipped. Paypal, check or MO are all accepted. Whatever you like to use.

Made from 3/16" thick 5" X 5" steel wih 7/16" holes in the corners. Brackets are made to accept 1.25" NPT pipe legs. Pipe can be purchased at Lowe's, Home Depot, hardware stores, steel or plumbing suppliers. Lowe's and Home Depot will thread your pipe legs for free, if purchased there the last I heard.

I send a couple prints for top dimensions and some build tips. A doubled up top of 3/4" plywood makes a 1.5" thick top that works well.

Below is the link from the previous post I had selling these, but it was getting kind of long and it was time to update the price. There are some excellent benches that people that people who are much better wood-workers than me have built and the pics are nice for seeing what they did.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/16815605/1

Even if, I run out I can always build more, if you can wait a few days, so you can contact me anytime

Thanks Gent's!

Set of 3;

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Set of 4;

Completed bench;

PM sent
Nice! Are they painted or powder coated?
POC- Thank you Sir. Painted-black.
Definitely a first rate product. Buy with confidence. You will not be disappointed.
Sadly I moved and lost my shooting range and I gifted mine away. If and when the time comes, I'll get another set.
Thank you mjac. It is appreciated.
Hi Lonny,

PM sent. I'd like qty = 2, of the three leg version.

Thanks,

Jason
Good stuff.
I have looked at these a hundred times and never ordered. I will take a set of three. Let me know where to send the payment.
I have looked at these a hundred times and never ordered. I will take a set of three. Let me know where to send the payment.
Built these long before Lonny....

Used mine again today.....

You need these if you need a solid rest to shoot accurately

Buy N O W !!!!!!!

This table is 22+ years old.......

P/dogs die.........

20 Practical on table

I'll take 2 sets of 3. Let me know where to send payment. Thanks.
Two thumbs up for Lonny. Got my brackets the other day. Communication, packaging, and product are great.

Jason
Lonny, PM and payment sent for a set of three. Thanks!
I’ll take a set of three. PM to follow.
Lonny, PM inbound for a set of 3.
TAG
What are the dimensions of the plywood top? Length of legs recommended?
thanks
Just got mine last week. These are high quality heavy duty brackets which come with top dimensions recommendations but you have the option to make it what serves you best. Thanks Lonny
Picked up pipe for the legs at Lowes yesterday. I can confirm that Lowes will cut and thread for you (if you find the right "guy"). It's cheaper to buy a 10' piece of galvanized for ~$46, cut 3 pieces 32" each and you'll have a 24" piece left over. Got both ends threaded and will use end caps at the feet. I also found a good pattern (link below) for the top although there are many choices and preferences. We'll see how this works.

Shooting Bench Top

P.S. Will post pictures when it's done.
Originally Posted by wreckster84
Picked up pipe for the legs at Lowes yesterday. I can confirm that Lowes will cut and thread for you (if you find the right "guy"). It's cheaper to buy a 10' piece of galvanized for ~$46, cut 3 pieces 32" each and you'll have a 24" piece left over. Got both ends threaded and will use end caps at the feet. I also found a good pattern (link below) for the top although there are many choices and preferences. We'll see how this works.

Shooting Bench Top

P.S. Will post pictures when it's done.

Brackets arrived today, nice welds Lonny! Thanks for including some bench top plans although, I was impatient and went ahead with the layout I found above.
I think a longer top (than 37") would have been better.
These things are amazing. Real material, not made of chinesium for sale on amazon.
Brackets arrived, thanks Lonny. These are great!!!
I built one of these years ago, back when bxroads was making some brackets and selling them on the fire. My dad has since taken that one over, so I'm doing another. Hopefully will finish it up this week after I grab some bolts at the hardware store and let the paint dry. I have lefties in the family, so I do them ambi-style.

This one is 36" across the front, by 48" deep, as I had two matching 36x48 pieces of 3/4 plywood on hand. My other one is also made of the same, and while it is a bit heavy, it is very stable. I glue the slabs together and supplement with a half dozen or so wood screws.

Had some good help with it yesterday (sarcasm font). cool

wreckster, dallased and Razz. Thank you very much! It is appreciated.

If anybody is needing a set shoot me a PM or email, anytime.
Made one for my dad last week. Lowes for the board, legs and caps.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

vacrt, Dang, that turned out great!

Thanks for sharing the pics.
What are the specs on the board you used?
Lowes one of these not this exact one tho….

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Common-1-i...in-x-23-25-in-x-4-ft-Pine-Board/50053147

Whole isle of them.
Thanks
tag-ish
Got the ambi-bench bolted together and painted this weekend. Four coats of enamel should have it hold up okay if I leave it in the weather sometimes.

Originally Posted by JPro
Got the ambi-bench bolted together and painted this weekend. Four coats of enamel should have it hold up okay if I leave it in the weather sometimes.

I like that a lot!
Finished mine from 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood, a few decals, and 4 coats of Helmsman poly. When it was all done I'm thinking it should've been bigger but, I'll make it work.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Brackets came today. Really nice pieces, excellent craftsmanship and helpful plans. thanks again
Finished mine up this week. Used 1” thick poly that we use for equipment mounting on new fire trucks. Should last my lifetime and my 6yr old sons.

Attached picture C0DAFFC3-4AEA-4594-88A9-49E092DAE41A.jpeg
Originally Posted by HShunter36
Finished mine up this week. Used 1” thick poly that we use for equipment mounting on new fire trucks. Should last my lifetime and my 6yr old sons.

Just curious, how do you cut and finish the shape/edges on the poly? That looks a lot like Starboard which is used in boat applications, except in white.
wreckster84- Bench looks great and thanks for buying the brackets.

stubwad- Thank you! Enjoy your shooting.

HShunter36- I don't know of anyone that built a bench with poly and your looks dang nice. Well done!
Originally Posted by wreckster84
Originally Posted by HShunter36

Just curious, how do you cut and finish the shape/edges on the poly? That looks a lot like Starboard which is used in boat applications, except in white.

We cut the poly with a saw stop table saw and finish the edges with a router. Surprisingly simple to work with.
I'll take a set of 3 please. Please pm the details.
Thanks!
Tag

Kaiser Norton
If you're needing a set feel free to contact me anytime. Price is still the same as the first post on this thread.

Thanks!
Here are a few pics of the benchI built using Lonny’s brackets.
Built 2 benches 1 for my brother inlaw and one for myself. Awesome brackets
https://postimg.cc/gallery/QrJjnF8
Good stuff!! I’ve bought two sets. Thanks !
I'll take a set of 3 - PM on it's way.
These are amazing I made a table several
Years ago and it’s incredibly stable o use it all the time for load development
For you guys that have used these brackets for benches what would you do different if you made another one? I read an earlier post where someone said 37 inches was too short.
Not a thing different, well thought about a recessed drink holder. I made mine on the larger size. If I remember correctly about 36”x48”.
Not sure if you can see in my pics I made riser’s for rest and rear bag. It also saves the bench top from all the little holes that end up marring.
A 3-legged bench is all you need.
You'll be glad you did. Your groups will get tighter now.

Take care.
Thanks Mr. Lonny
Love mine, had it for several years, thanks again. Lonny, hope to see see you in Lewiston in May for the Jack O’Connor throw down.

His brackets are simply the best there is.
Portable tables are essential in the p/dog fields

Quick to pick up and rotate in another direction

Simple to transport with or w/o pipe legs

Along with being a great addition for target shooting

I keep a spare in my reloading room for scope mounting/gun cleaning etc

Pic..been using this table for 22+ years...1000's of p/dogs have been removed over it's top

Don't know how many rounds I've fired off mine! Rock solid and pretty easy to transport!

Thanks Gentlemen!

Always fun to help fellow shooters get their portable bench going.

Appreciate the pictures too.
Originally Posted by vacrt2002

What are the size specs on this bench?

Why are three legs better than four?
Originally Posted by LOBO2
Originally Posted by vacrt2002

What are the size specs on this bench?

Why are three legs better than four?

Not vacrt, but 3 legs never wobble. Some people like the added stability of 4, which is fine too. Not sure of the size?
2 tips (if not already posted)

1. Cut slot (handle in top) for carrying.
2. Install clips to hold pipe legs ( to bottom of table top ) during transportation and storage.

( maybe available from OP for purchase?)
Bump for a cool product.
More building tips.....

Lowes.........Depot......etc

Have 'em cut the 3/4" plywood in four 2'x4' sections...enough for two tables

When I was building tables I used 36-38" long top x 2' wide of course

Did build one with a 48" top & 1 1/2" legs...donated it to the local SO

They used it with their Mac 50 cal

Brackets are the key & Lonny has that covered......3 legs all ya need

Another option is having 2 shooter cut outs left or right

Surface protection too iffin it sees wet weather

As pic shows.....I just throw it in the back of the bed......

Two pair of Goldens got to know the sight & sound of my Taco truck

They'd wait for shooting to start them come in for free buffet

Another option is an umbrella....go ahead & laugh....it works !

PM sent for 3X3 brackets.
PM sent for 3
I'll take a set of 4. Will pm for details.
Received my brackets this week and am very pleased with the quality of work. Many thanks Lonny!
Up.

If anybody is needing a set, you can send me a PM or my email is in first post on this thread. Prices and general info in first post also.

Thanks!
Tag again
Built my second shooting bench a few weeks ago using Lonny’s brackets and they work great. I keep this bench in the tractor shed and when the cows cooperate, I can shoot out to 400 yards in the evening shade of the shed. As you can see they weren’t very cooperative this evening.

Nice! What material are the legs and how tall are they? Thanks.
Nice brackets. I'll be ordering some soon.

I'm 5'10. How long are you guys making the legs?
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

+1
Finally got mine built….

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

The first one I built I made the legs 30”. I’m 6’ and have to use several sand bags. I’m currently building a second one and I’m making the legs 32” on it so I can sit a little more comfortably.
I will say finding a place to cut and thread pipe was not easy. Home Depot, Lowe’s etc here where I live no longer do it. Tried three large machine shops before I found one that would do it for a reasonable price and still ended up paying $20/apiece for the legs. Just saying.
Lonny, Do you have any of the brackets for a shooting table ? I would like a set of 3 please. If you have a set I will email you for payment info. Thanks, Jerry
Lonny, Thank you for the table brackets. I got them today and must say very high quality. Thanks, Jerry
I finally got my three benches finished. I made them a little large and ambidextrous, as some of the kids coming up are lefty. I used 1.25" electrical conduit for my legs. My electrician buddy donated it to me along with the threaded fittings. I did have to buy some 1" knocouts, that I JB welded in place to cap the bottoms off.

I stole the umbrella idea from tikkanut, I cant remember who suggested the 5 gallon bucket seat. The Caldwell front rest and Amazon rear bag fit in the bucket for transport with room to spare. A 3 leg blind chair works great as well. I used a gray deck paint from Wal-Mart to finish the top.
© 24hourcampfire