Home
Posted By: Dirtfarmer .338-06 Custom FN Mauser - 09/10/22
Am offering my FN Mauser .338-06 with synthetic stock. I bought it here on the Classifieds three years ago, reworked the bedding, free floated it, painted the stock dark green with black webbing. I then applied a couple coats of clear, matte Aluma-Hyde II from Brownells. It has a 24", ten twist barrel that looks great thru the Hawkeye borescope. Shoots as good as it looks.

The builder is not known; there was some speculation regarding the stock maker. My smith thinks it an early B&C Medalist pre aluminum bedding. Gun weighs 7#'s, 8 oz, has steel Warne bases and a Timney trigger. Bluing is around 97% or so. It has the military style floor plate with a protruding button to unlatch it, unlike the true military version requiring a punch or bullet to unlatch it. Trigger is clean breaking at 2.75 pounds (typical Timney). It has a Buehler style safety.

It shoots sub MOA with loads it likes. Here are a few.

.7" 160 gr. TTSX over 57 gr. Varget
.6" 200 gr Combined Technology (basically a black NBT) over 61 gr. H-380 (Seafire and Gunner500's fav .338-06 powder)
.8" 210 gr. Partition over 54 gr. Varget.

Will ship to lower 48 for $975.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A few more pictures and a great Finn Aagaard article. He was a true .338-06 fan, raised the dander on some .35 Whelen fans, advocating necking the .35W case down to .338 for better performance. I'll send the article along with load data. Finn also was a Mauser fan.

Posted By: CRS Re: .338-06 Custom FN Mauser - 09/10/22
I must resist , I must resist, I must resist again. Took everything I had to pass it up the first time.

Somebody is going to get a good one.
The original bedding wasn't Kosher, so I completely re-worked it. Value added is in the stock work, paint and load development.

Three years ago it was offered as is, an unknown performer. Proving it to be a really accurate shooter makes it a lot more interesting.

There was some speculation on the barrel being a Douglas based on contour. I didn't really buy into that. The maker doesn't really matter if it shoots and of course, it does.

And, you're right. Someone's gonna get a good one.

I'm not hunting as much these days, am thinning the stable. Otherwise, you wouldn't see it here.

DF
I’m not convinced that stock is B&C. The cheek piece just looks too refined; more like a McMillan classic sako style. But I don’t have an answer for you. Other than - it’s a hell of a nice looking stock and gun!
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
I’m not convinced that stock is B&C. The cheek piece just looks too refined; more like a McMillan classic sako style. But I don’t have an answer for you. Other than - it’s a hell of a nice looking stock and gun!
You could be right. I don’t know. It is really nice and pretty light, stiff forearm.

DF
Sat AM wake up.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../re-338-06-custom-fn-mauser#Post17592177

Check it out.

DF
$950 shipped.

DF
I got a PM from a contributor who said the timing was bad, he'd just sent his 700 Rem '06 to JES in Oregon for a .338-06 make over.

He loves that round, may end up with a big box of .338 bullets.

With .625" at the muzzle, this barreled action and $250 sent to JES could give someone a nifty 35 Whelen (Aagaard would cringe) or a 9.3x62. And that includes return postage. The gun isn't heavy, but has enough mass to make a great 35W or 9.3x62.

My Pre-64 .358W FW started out as a .243. https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/15226684/18

The parts are worth more than ask. A Belgian FN commercial action is easily worth $500, especially with a hundred dollar Timney. The stock, depending on who made it, would be worth $300-$600 and that's before fitting a barrel, bluing, stock work, bedding, etc.

DF
Myself I am pretty sure it’s a B&C stock. I picked up a 264 Win Mag that was made on a Interarms action for Herters. When I removed the barreled action from the stock is was stamped B&C in the barrel channel
Well, if it’s B&C, it’s around $300+. A McM would be closer to $600.

DF
Posted By: buttstock Re: .338-06 Custom FN Mauser - 09/11/22
Bump for a nice rifle. Classic set up, and very accurate.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: .338-06 Custom FN Mauser - 09/11/22
Dang nice stick DF, that looks like a McM stock to me, great setup, GLWTS Sir.
Thanks, guys.

If I wasn’t streamlining the arsenal you wouldn’t see it here.

DF
McMillan:
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
OP:
B&C:
Posted By: John_Boy Re: .338-06 Custom FN Mauser - 09/11/22
Looks like McMillan to me….
What would it take to change out the safety to a 3 position wing?
I’m talking myself into this one.

You'd have to ask a good smith. Jkob posts here and does a good job on such. He's also a good Mauser smith, fitted a Shilen barrel on this FN.

Jim also fits a two position swing safety that's less expensive than the 3 position one. He adjusted this one, didn't fit it.

To me, it looks pretty good.

DF

I have a serious contender at near ask.

So, you guys need to move before the gavel falls.

Going, going.....

DF
Posted By: TimZ Re: .338-06 Custom FN Mauser - 09/12/22
Amazed this is still here.......already have a Sako Black Bear in 9.3 X 62, or would have jumped on this....GLWYS
Agree that installing a swing safety would be icing on the cake.

DF

Cost of a Dakota 3-pos wing safety installed is about $250-$300
Jim Kobe's two-position one is less than half that. It locks the bolt, no middle position to free the bolt while on safe. I had him alter a 2-pos (not his) to not lock the bolt on safe.

IMO, the 3-pos ones are the nicest, but the 2-pos version works well and for less.

DF
I put together an almost identical rifle in 35 Whelen, what made me go Whelen instead of 338-06 were the then available round nosed bullets. Today I would have done a 338-06.
The Whelen is a great round, a good bud has one and it works.

I was jokingly noting what Finn Aagaard had said about the Whelen in his .338-06 article. He obviously preferred the .33 cal version.

I'm thinking if I was not moving this gun, I'd do the swing safety. To me, that's all it needs, although the Beuhler version does work.
Just not as slick, not as pretty.

DF
SPF

Have been accused of having way too much fun with this.

Probably right....

DF
I'll not say who got it, will let him disclose when he's ready.

He's got some really fine guns, told him this one would be a "plain Jane" compared to some of his others. He has a fancy piece of lumber already with Mauser inlet.

I told him if he did that, he'd for sure need to do a three position safety. Knowing him, it'll be first class. Look forward to seeing what he does with it.

He also got a 27# box of .338 bullets, good for this one and his other three .338's. The .338-06 was a hole in his .338 arsenal; no longer.

DF
Posted By: CRS Re: .338-06 Custom FN Mauser - 09/13/22
Whew! Glad it went to a good home. grin
Originally Posted by CRS
Whew! Glad it went to a good home. grin
Yeah, you dodged that bullet twice.... grin

New owner just sent me a picture of a fancy rifle with super wood. So if he says he has a good piece of wood ready for this one, I can't wait to see what he comes up with.

And yeah, it went to a great home, to a great guy who will use it and appreciate it.

And, that makes me feel really good.

DF
Posted By: John_Boy Re: .338-06 Custom FN Mauser - 09/13/22
Maybe he’ll sell the stock…..
Originally Posted by John_Boy
Maybe he’ll sell the stock…..
He may.

Once he’s got the gun, decides what he wants to do, that could happen. He may need it for a while until his fancy wood stock is finished.

DF
Posted By: CRS Re: .338-06 Custom FN Mauser - 09/13/22
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Thanks, guys.

If I wasn’t streamlining the arsenal you wouldn’t see it here.

DF

And if I wasn't streamlining my arsenal, it would have came this way. Saving pennies to make it back to Africa after buffalo again.

Looking forward to seeing what it transforms into.
© 24hourcampfire