Home
Posted By: d500lnn On the hunt for a 223 Bolt Gun - 11/17/22
I’m looking for a 223 in a nice bolt gun. My criteria is 20” or less barrel length. Synthetic or carbon stock. Want to be around 6# or less just rifle.

I’d love to have a KS, but will consider other quality little rifles.

Thanks
Nick
How about one of those triangle barrel rifles
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
How about one of those triangle barrel rifles

Thank you but I’m not interested in a VTR.
Save your money and get a RAR.
Go with a Weatherby Vanguard or get the exact same Howa barreled action from Brownell's and stock it yourself. Either way you will be getting a hinged steel floorplate/ bottom metal. The lower price offerings from Ruger and Savage are plenty accurate, but have too much "plastic" for my tastes.
Go with a Weatherby Vanguard or get the exact same Howa barreled action from Brownell's and stock it yourself. Either way you will be getting a hinged steel floorplate/ bottom metal. The lower price offerings from Ruger and Savage are plenty accurate, but have too much "plastic" for my tastes.

I have a howa 1500 for trade/sale if you are interested.
It has less than 1
80 rounds through it.
I am looking for a deer gun for my grandson.
Something 260, 7-08 or 308
Would be great or pm me for a cash price.
Thanks
Rodman
look at Black Friday adds for next week, there will almost certainly be something that fits your needs in sale
Originally Posted by ringworm
Save your money and get a RAR.

Ringworm, I had a RAR and like an idiot sold it. My son shot his first deer with it. It was the compact version. I wish I had it back. I sell rifles and most of the time regret it🤦🏻‍♂️ like a 308 I just sold.
Originally Posted by d500lnn
I’m looking for a 223 in a nice bolt gun. My criteria is 20” or less barrel length. Synthetic or carbon stock. Want to be around 6# or less just rifle.

Thanks
Nick

I have a howa in 223. Great little shooter. Was kids' first deer rifle. Nice smaller rifle.
Originally Posted by Tarkio

Thanks
Nick

I have a howa in 223. Great little shooter. Was kids' first deer rifle. Nice smaller rifle.

I am interested. Could you PM me the weight of rifle? I saw it was a short barrel and short LOP, but weight for me is a pretty important factor.

I’ll be on the road most the f the day tomorrow. So a response may be a little delayed.

Thanks
Nick
Originally Posted by Tarkio

Thanks
Nick

I am interested. Could you PM me the weight of rifle? I saw it was a short barrel and short LOP, but weight for me is a pretty important factor.

I’ll be on the road most the f the day tomorrow. So a response may be a little delayed.

Thanks
Nick

I missed this. Will try and get you a weight either tonight or early tomorrow
Remington 700 XHR's were the VTR's non ported version. One I've seen shot outstanding.
Didn’t I see a sako in here recently?
Not sure if it meets all the criteria. I have one from the 60’s that is disgustingly accurate so I have a hard time telling someone to not buy one of those
Good luck!
A 75 Finnlight would be the only thing I’d consider in from Sako for this specific gun. Not sure they made one in 223? I’ve had 25 Sako’s over the years. All of them shot well and some exceptionally well YET I was dumb and sold them…
Christensen has a ridgeline scout 223
16” barrel I believe. Aics mags 1-8 twist

Not cheap but a friend has one and it’s a shooter with 75bthp and 77tmk so far.
For conseration, here is a Steyr Ultralight chambered for the 223 Remington, 1 in 9" twist.

IIRC the barrel length is 20"

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Price negotiable, with or without scope and rings/bases.

ya!

GWB
GWB,

That is a beautiful rifle! I’ve always loved those little Steyr UL’s. If it wasn’t such a nice stocked rifle I’d probably be interested. Thank you for sharing though!
GWB,

That is a beautiful rifle! I’ve always loved those little Steyr UL’s. If it wasn’t such a nice stocked rifle I’d probably be interested. Thank you for sharing though!

10/4

ya!

GWB
A 75 Finnlight would be the only thing I’d consider in from Sako for this specific gun. Not sure they made one in 223? I’ve had 25 Sako’s over the years. All of them shot well and some exceptionally well YET I was dumb and sold them…

20/20 hindsight.
I’ve got it too lol
how about a 700 lvsf in 223, got one I haven't used in a long time, might be will to sell
Originally Posted by sbrmike
Go with a Weatherby Vanguard or get the exact same Howa barreled action from Brownell's and stock it yourself. Either way you will be getting a hinged steel floorplate/ bottom metal. .
I agree with SBRMike. I had one in a 243 (Howa 1500) and sold it to fund a custom build for a 6.5x55 Mauser that will be using a Pre 64 Mod 70 action. That little Howa 1500 was STUPID ACCURATE!!
I bought the Brownells Mini 223 Threaded Sporter version, a Stocky's VGM sporter seconds stock and the Oregon Gunsmithing BDL bottom metal, rifle with rings and bases is 5.6lbs.

Once I get the action fitted to my liking, pillars installed and action bedded, I will post some pictures.

This stock at 20oz is worth every penny.

[Linked Image from texashuntingforum.com]
[Linked Image from texashuntingforum.com]
Originally Posted by MRKbass2

20/20 hindsight.
I’ve got it too lol

Maybe I missed all the details of exactly what you are looking for, I would have a hard time passing on this
That’s not what I was trying to do lol.
d500lnn is the seller though
OK, I see the details now. Sorry about that lol.
This is probably the exact opposite style of what you are asking for smile
I got one of the new cz 600s. Great trigger and shoots tiny groups. Its not fancy but it had the twist rate I wanted so I tried it. Very happy with it for the money.
Originally Posted by steveredd1
how about a 700 lvsf in 223, got one I haven't used in a long time, might be will to sell

I had one and sold it. I do things on whims evidently. If I can get into a 223 bolt gun I like for under $400 that’s where I am at this point. My daughter kinda busted my plan up. I wanted it for her and she went and shot her first deer on thanksgiving with a 6.5 creed. So now the urge has subsided. I’d still buy, but it’s purely just to scratch an itch.
Originally Posted by MRKbass2
That’s not what I was trying to do lol.
d500lnn is the seller though

Wait you have a 223 in a Finnlight???
PM sent
Sharps I got it and responded. There is one person on here that if we make a deal I’ll buy his. He’s been generous with his time and pics. If this doesn’t pan out, I’ll scrap project. Just an itch I had as I wanted for my daughter. I was concerned about her ability to handle recoil and not get intimidated. She killed here first deer on thanksgiving with a 6.5 creed and it was perfect! So now the 223 is just something that is only an itch.

Regards.

Nick
© 24hourcampfire