Home
Posted By: wildone ISO Stainless 358 or 35 Whelen - 12/18/22
I know this is a very looooong shot but I'm looking for a stainless bolt gun in 358 Win or Whelen preferably on a Rem or Winchester action. I'm open to stainless 7 or 700 donor actions for either as well. I'll have Hart screw a tube on if I have to. This is going to be a hunting rig.

Thanks
I’m not sure you have enough “o’s” in looooong shot. I’d love a camo/stainless 6-7 pound, 18-20” barreled .358 Winchester as well. LOL, put me in for SECONDS! Good luck on your quest. 😎

Doc_Holidude
I went through this same stuff when I had my model 70 classic built in 35 whelen.
Order a barrel in from your preference and send it to Matt Stewart in Oklahoma. He can blueprint the action and chamber/install the barrel for you. He used to work at surgeon rifles, and he also knows what is appropriate for a hunting rifle build.
Good luck
Any consideration for a 350 Rem Mag? I feel I have seen a few pop up in recent times.

(I don’t have one for sale, more just seeing if you had explored it as an option.)
Its third on the list only because of the limited options on the reloading side for brass. I can make brass for the others more easily if I couldn't find the proper head stamp.
Black nitride provides a lot of the corrosion resistance of stainless, and opens up a lot of options like the pre-64 Model 70, 98 Mauser, etc. You could buy and treat an existing rifle for a fraction of what you'd pay for a stainless build.

Okie John
There's a bunch of dudes in Iowa looking for this same thing. Conclusion I came to is buy a SS 308 and have it rebored. So that's my plan. Good luck.
SHHUUUUSHHHHHH !!!! LOL smile
Cerakote can make it look like stainless and hold up just as well for a good while.
There is a stainless .350 RM Ruger M77 MkII that is currently near the top of the classifieds page here. Seller is asking $1050.
You can make brass from 7 rem mag if needed for 350 Remington magnum
Yes
If going with a350 RM, try Ramshot TAC with Barnes bullets. Use the Barnes reloading data.
Sounds like all signs are pointing you back to the 350RM! As others have said, brass can be easily formed from readily available brass of different headstamps. It also seems to pop up occasionally for decent prices.

I LOVE the 350RM. Below is a Remington Model 600 used this year to take a decent mountain buck. The M600 is short, light, and absolutely hammers mountain whitetail.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by wildone

Your strategy is showing. laugh
I have both a .358 and a 35 Whelen – if you want to take me with you, you can use one of them. LOL

You'll likely have trouble finding either in SS unless someone is willing to sell a custom.
(though I think Ruger offered a .358 in SS at one point)
I was in my LGS Saturday and the dude behind the counter looked puzzled when i asked for 35 cal rifle ammo. I asked him if he's read the Iowa regulations lately. He said he hasn't deer hunting in 20 years. Much of Iowa hasn't even noticed the 35 cal and up bottle necked rifle cartridges now legal for shotgun seasons I and II. I noticed most of the other hunters I met were all carrying shotguns. Not sure what a stainless will do what a blued gun won't. I had a Winchester model 70 classic stainless in 30-06 that I bought brand new in 1994 and was continuously frustrated with the rust on the floor plate...on stainless steel! I wrote Winchester a letter and complained about it. I had to keep it oiled up or it would rust
If wanting a stainless .35cal big game rifle, I wouldn't be afraid of trying one of these, especially for a bit over $400. I'd ditch the brake though.

Scout SS 35Whelen

My CVA single shots have been pretty accurate and have decent triggers, right out of the box.
Originally Posted by JPro
If wanting a stainless .35cal big game rifle, I wouldn't be afraid of trying one of these, especially for a bit over $400. I'd ditch the brake though.

Scout SS 35Whelen

My CVA single shots have been pretty accurate and have decent triggers, right out of the box.
That things has to kick like a donkey.
A 5 lb Whelen? Na...all snuggles on the benchrest. Probably not a weekend match gun. Shouldn't be problem in the field recoil wise. I never feel a thing when fur is in the crosshairs. The muzzle brake is a little concerning. Id say it's bark is worse than it's bite
I think Bud's Guns has the weight wrong at 5.8lbs. Midway says 8lbs. A sub-6lb Whelen would be stout....

I have the older Apex SS model and it's about 7.5-8lbs. Recoil isn't awful with 200gr Fusions, mainly due to the stock design and the soft recoil pad. It came out of the box with a 2.5lb trigger.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...browning-a-bolt-243-win-with-boss#UNREAD

Could turn this one into a 358 Win
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by wildone

Your strategy is showing. laugh
I have both a .358 and a 35 Whelen – if you want to take me with you, you can use one of them. LOL

You'll likely have trouble finding either in SS unless someone is willing to sell a custom.
(though I think Ruger offered a .358 in SS at one point)

Shane offered to let me use his 358 one time, but we never got to the fine print.😉. Thanks Shane. I picked up a 358 in Savage 99 when Iowa in their erudite ways redid the reg’s. One, because I’m a lefty, and two, I’ve never had a 358 Win or a 99 before. I like the cartridge and the rifle.

This is just my opinion, but in having 2 350’s in the past; a 35 Whelen and an AI’d one, I’d just suggest they’re all a bit stout for whitetails. Not that they are not good cartridges; they are.

I’d suggest the 358 which is no weak sister. If the Indian is good, it is a three hundred yard arrow. And brass as with the Whelen is easy.
Originally Posted by Gaschekt

The easiest path to what you want is just buy a stainless rifle you like and send it Jess to be rebored to .358 win or 35 whelen. Cost is $300 and every one I have had done shoots great.
I had JES do a Ruger 243 to 358. Easy button and more accurate than it was as a 243.
JES did a .356 Marlin and a .35 Whelen Tikka.

Both shoot as good (tikka) or better (marlin) than before
I don't know why the OP hasn't hit the easy button with this one.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-mag-mark-ii-with-b-c-stock#Post17917253
You’re right… the OP should buy that hammer. so it quits taunting me too. 🤪
I had JES rebore a 700 for me. For some reason i thought i recall reading that he wont (or can’t) do stainless, but could be wrong.
He did a stainless one for me around 5-6 years ago. It was a bit more money, but still worked just fine.
May have him to another.
Originally Posted by diamondjim
He did a stainless one for me around 5-6 years ago. It was a bit more money, but still worked just fine.
May have him to another.
Did you go with the 3 groove bore?
3 groove
I have a stainless rem 700 receiver with a 35 whelen remage barrel on it with a vias muzzle break, and a timney trigger which I might be willing to part with. I have been going back and forth on whether to sell it or not. I also have dies, brass, and some bullets. PM me if you are interested.
Originally Posted by tmitch
I don't know why the OP hasn't hit the easy button with this one.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-mag-mark-ii-with-b-c-stock#Post17917253

Could be that he's looking for a Remington or Winchester. smile

TTT for wildone.
I have a push feed model 70 stainless in .270 and a benchmark .358 Barrel (I think 1:12 but can verify) sitting here. Not cheap but I could ship it straight to your gunsmith and you will have a top quality stainless setup pretty quick.

PM me if interested.
I've been gone for a few days and just saw this post...
I've got a Remington 700 ADL, 35 Whelen, Stainless Steel, trued action, Lilja #4 (23" from lug to crown), McMillan Stock (standard fill, dark grey), matte black cerakote. Leuopold VX2 (2-7x33 w/turret). Excellent condition. PM for pics if you're interested. And, it's a great shooter with several different loads...low round count.
I've also got a bit of brass/bullets/dyes to go with it.
I bought it from my best hunting buddy thinking I wanted this (a couple of months ago) but have gone a different direction.
PM me with phone number and I can send pics.
Best regards,
Erik
Couple of pm’s outbound to some of you. Thank you to all that have replied so far.
I am a Winchester Extreme weather rebored by JES.

Shoots less than MOA
Originally Posted by harleyguy02
Shoots less than MOA

In this time and day you can be whatever you can imagine! 😁
Originally Posted by Dinny
Originally Posted by harleyguy02
Shoots less than MOA

In this time and day you can be whatever you can imagine! 😁

That’s what I get when I type and drive 😂
© 24hourcampfire