Home
Posted By: Seuss How to ship? - 01/28/23
Hey guys,
I sold a 22 rifle to a 24CF member, haven’t shipped anything in a very long time. GunBroker says I can ship UPS or FedEx to an FFL, but both UPS and FedEx websites say they dont accept shipments from non FFL holders. What’s the story? Thank you.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: How to ship? - 01/28/23
USPS
Posted By: codybrown Re: How to ship? - 01/28/23
USPS is your best option.
Posted By: magman1 Re: How to ship? - 01/28/23
shipmygun.com
will allow you to ship UPS at a hub with their label and their discount.
Posted By: Troutnut Re: How to ship? - 01/28/23
If you have a USPS close they're probably the easiest option. But just a heads up if it's been a while rates have went way up.
Posted By: Bugger Re: How to ship? - 01/28/23
I ship Fed Ex anymore. The Fed-ex office is also the UPS office UPS. The people there advised that Fed-ex is less expensive. I've shipped guns Fed-ex in obvious gun boxes and hard cases.

I stopped USPS close to a year ago. I doubt I'll go back.
Posted By: glazer_1972 Re: How to ship? - 01/28/23
USPS is the only long gun option unless going through ship my gun or a dealer.
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: How to ship? - 01/28/23
Originally Posted by magman1
shipmygun.com
Yup. Simple and cheaper.
Originally Posted by magman1
shipmygun.com

Wish they provided service to AK. Have heard good things.
Posted By: high_country_ Re: How to ship? - 01/28/23
Pirateship is also good at finding great rates.
Posted By: Hess Re: How to ship? - 01/28/23
I just shipped a rifle two days ago through USPS. The gun was in a plastic case encapsulated in a cardboard box. I insured it for $1800 and it went from western MT to Cedar Rapids, IA and it was $90. Just an FYI...
Originally Posted by Hess
I just shipped a rifle two days ago through USPS. The gun was in a plastic case encapsulated in a cardboard box. I insured it for $1800 and it went from western MT to Cedar Rapids, IA and it was $90. Just an FYI...
I bet the insurance was 1/3 of that, if not more.
Posted By: webfoot56 Re: How to ship? - 01/28/23
the insurance is the killer I doubt even if you have insurance the post office will not pay out if you have a claim. My sister runs a business and has had a couple claims and so much red tape and such I would pack it real well get tracking and forget the insurance. By the way my sister received nothing on her claims. It has to be started by the receiving party and they have to file the claim on their end it will be a real headache for both parties.
Posted By: Riley88 Re: How to ship? - 01/28/23
I have an account with FedEx and they told me I could no longer ship firearms, Only customers holding a Federal Firearms License (FFL) and federal, state,
or local government agencies may ship firearms with FedEx. The FFL and Gov. agencies must enter into an policy agreement with FedEX before they can ship.
It appears that not all FedEx offices are marching to the same drummer, some still do ship.
Posted By: Joseywales Re: How to ship? - 01/28/23
Long guns, USPS
Handguns, I used ShipMyGuns. Worked very well. You have to take it to a UPS Customer Service center though. Only Customer Service Centers will ship firearms.
Originally Posted by webfoot56
the insurance is the killer I doubt even if you have insurance the post office will not pay out if you have a claim. My sister runs a business and has had a couple claims and so much red tape and such I would pack it real well get tracking and forget the insurance. By the way my sister received nothing on her claims. It has to be started by the receiving party and they have to file the claim on their end it will be a real headache for both parties.
My experience and practice as well. Spend the extra $ on packing materials.
Posted By: Seuss Re: How to ship? - 01/28/23
Any cost difference for long guns between USPS and ShipMyGuns?
Posted By: deerhunter5555 Re: How to ship? - 01/28/23
Shipmygun is the only way I ship these days
Posted By: rovert Re: How to ship? - 01/28/23
One of the FFL's in my town charges $50 to pack and ship to another FFL. Insurance is 1% of value. I just found out about this after years of hassle at the Post Office, which isn't any less expensive. It's worth checking with the LGS.
Posted By: Joseywales Re: How to ship? - 01/28/23
Originally Posted by Seuss
I didn’t compare, because i was shipping a handgun. Cost $38 from PA to MO, including $4 for insurance ($1 per $100).
Posted By: jc189 Re: How to ship? - 01/28/23
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555

Me too. I have shipped a dozen or so long guns with shipmygun.com and never had a problem. And it has been my experience that they have always beat anybody else's price to ship a gun. I drop the gun off at my local UPS hub. shipping label is already printed and on the package. No questions asked at the desk. and the cost is always less than if I would have taken the same gun to the same UPS hub and paid for shipping there.
Posted By: Edwin264 Re: How to ship? - 01/28/23
I had a problem one time with a Charter Arms pistol and Charter arms told me to ship it back to them with FedEx and tell FedEx it was “finished machined parts”
Posted By: webfoot56 Re: How to ship? - 01/28/23
Originally Posted by Joseywales
I didn’t compare, because i was shipping a handgun. Cost $38 from PA to MO, including $4 for insurance ($1 per $100).
That sounds like a real good deal. Thanks for the info.
Posted By: candipogo Re: How to ship? - 01/28/23
Usps does ot ship firearms anymore under any circumstances.
To use ups or fed ex you have to go from ffl, c&r or licensed dealer to the same. And the shop you use has to have an account with ups or fed ex. It also has to go by air freight. Ups has 3 air services. I don't know about FedEx. Your shop will set it up online only including payment. Ups will then email a label to affix to your box. It either has to be picked up by ups or taken to one of their hub locations. They will take it with the label. Ups stores do not handle any firearms transactions. I just lost a sale due to the extra shipping cost. I know the post office used to Take fireams. But that's the past. All of the above can be verified. I suspect it's due to new govt regulations. And some of the ATF nazi's created new rules. The SMG shipping service by buds guns can help handle the paperwork for a small fee. They basically set up your shipment and tell you what shop will take it based on your location.
Phil
This is a good idea. You can't use post office anymore.
Originally Posted by candipogo
Usps does ot ship firearms anymore under any circumstances.
Flat wrong.
Usps does not take firearms anymore.
This is a good idea. You can't use post office anymore.

Other way around.
You can't ship firearms by postal service anymore

I’m sorry, but you are simply mistaken on this.
Check with the postmaster at a local p.o. they have changed the rules. Or look thru the section in their website about prohibited items.
I thought this discussion was about handguns. Long guns may be ok at p.o. but don't be surprised if they try to discourage you from doing it. A local post master told me this .
Be safe
Posted By: MrMuskie Re: How to ship? - 01/28/23
IDIOTS,
I shipped 3 long guns yesterday USPS Priority Mail.
Check the facts before typing.
Posted By: Muffin Re: How to ship? - 01/28/23

Would the ATF lie????

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-through-us-postal-service

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another state. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of their own state or to a licensee in any state.

The U.S. Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A); 27 CFR 478.31]

https://www.usps.com/ship/shipping-restrictions.htm
Posted By: hazer Re: How to ship? - 01/28/23
I ship through the usps no issues!!!
Posted By: high_country_ Re: How to ship? - 01/28/23
Originally Posted by Muffin

Would the ATF lie????

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-through-us-postal-service

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?
A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another state. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of their own state or to a licensee in any state.

The U.S. Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A); 27 CFR 478.31]

https://www.usps.com/ship/shipping-restrictions.htm

NON LICENSED RESIDENT OF ANOTHER STATE......shipping to ffl is fine.
I thought this discussion was about handguns. Long guns may be ok at p.o. but don't be surprised if they try to discourage you from doing it. A local post master told me this .
Be safe

Hey guys,
I sold a 22 rifle to a 24CF member, haven’t shipped anything in a very long time. GunBroker says I can ship UPS or FedEx to an FFL, but both UPS and FedEx websites say they dont accept shipments from non FFL holders. What’s the story? Thank you.
Posted By: Single_Shot Re: How to ship? - 01/28/23
USPS website https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm?_gl=1*8eshzm*_ga*MTkxMjYzMzI0MS4xNjczNjY1ODM1*_ga_3NXP3C8S9V*MTY3NDk0MDg1My41LjAuMTY3NDk0MDg1My4wLjAuMA..

Publication 52 - Hazardous, Restricted, and Perishable Mail > 4 Restricted Matter > 43 Firearms > 432 Mailability

Link to "43 Firearms" Link to contents for "4 Restricted Matter" Link to Index Link to "433 Legal Opinions on Mailing Firearms"
432 Mailability
432.1 General
Mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, all of the provisions of postal law in 18 U.S.C. 1715, and all other all federal and state regulations and local ordinances affecting the movement of firearms. The following also applies:

The Postal Service may require the mailer to open parcels containing firearms or air guns or give written certification that the weapon is unloaded and not concealable.
Short-barreled rifles or shotguns that can be concealed on the person are nonmailable.
No markings of any kind that indicate the nature of the contents may be placed on the outside wrapper or container of any mailpiece containing firearms.
Mailable matter must be properly and securely packaged within the general packaging requirements in DMM 601.1-7.
Except for shipments between licensed dealers, manufacturers, or importers, all regulated firearms must be mailed using a USPS product or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.

432.3 Rifles and Shotguns
Except under 431.2, unloaded rifles and shotguns are mailable. Mailers must comply with the rules and regulations under 27 CFR, Part 478, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the rifle or shotgun is unloaded and not ineligible for mailing. The following conditions also apply:

d. Rifles and shotguns may be mailed by a non-FFL owner domestically to a FFL dealer, manufacturer, or importer in any state. These items must be mailed using a class of mail, product, or Extra Service that provides tracking and signature capture at delivery.

If USPS isn't taking long guns, someone forgot to tell them.

I have read somewhere that USPS packages over maybe 36" now carry a surcharge? Not sure if that's true, but now that some members of Congress basically scared UPS and FedEx out of the shipping business for individuals, USPS can pretty much charge what they want unless you are going the shipmygun.com.
Posted By: Single_Shot Re: How to ship? - 01/28/23
I think this has been a thread here before, but this is likely the cause of the UPS and FedEx pull out. The usual cast of characters. Markey- D/MA, Blumenthal-D/CT, Booker-D/NJ, Murphy-D/CT, and Feinstein-D/CA

https://thinkingafield.org/2022/07/companies-threatened-over-gun-parts-shipping.html
Posted By: EdM Re: How to ship? - 01/28/23

Yep. I have been using them for years, both long guns and handguns. Their insurance is fairly inexpensive as well.
Posted By: jc189 Re: How to ship? - 01/28/23
Originally Posted by EdM

Yep. I have been using them for years, both long guns and handguns. Their insurance is fairly inexpensive as well.

You save a few bucks using Shipmygun too. Long guns anyway. I have never shipped a handgun. Even though you have to drop it off at a UPS hub location they are still cheaper than shipping via UPS directly. They must get a discount because of the volume they ship.
Posted By: Timbo Re: How to ship? - 01/28/23
Yes, you can 100% ship a long gun to an FFL via the USPS. Many, many postal worker's don't know their own policies. I've had to print them out and take the to various post offices in the past. I even had an insurance claim denied once because as the letter stated "it was illegal to ship a firearm through the USPS". I contacted a higher up in the post office and received my check shortly after. Many postal workers have told me that they just aren't trained properly.
Posted By: Dinny Re: How to ship? - 01/28/23
Originally Posted by high_country_

Pirateship prohibits the shipment of firearms, regardless of what rules the common carriers allow.
Posted By: Seuss Re: How to ship? - 02/02/23
ShipMyGuns website shows a max weight of 15 pounds for a long gun, I'm sending a heavy barrel 22lr trainer and am over that. Advice??
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: How to ship? - 02/02/23
Originally Posted by Dinny

Pirateship prohibits the shipment of firearms, regardless of what rules the common carriers allow.
That is interesting as I never knew that. I know that when I use pirateship, not once was I ever asked on their website as to what I was shipping. Does this come up with insurance claims or something Dinny? I'm all about minimizing my risk. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: centershot Re: How to ship? - 02/02/23
Any guns I sell are now shipped by my FFL guy - handgun or long gun. USPS will not take a firearm from a non FFL here (I tried in Dec.). I think you will be into shipping at least $60 with the oversize package fee plus FFL transfer fee. They really are taking the fun out of trading guns.......

Shipmygun may be the best option left for a non FFL holder.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: How to ship? - 02/02/23
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Originally Posted by Dinny

That is interesting as I never knew that. I know that when I use pirateship, not once was I ever asked on their website as to what I was shipping. Does this come up with insurance claims or something Dinny? I'm all about minimizing my risk. Thanks in advance.
I’m not sure it’s true. I looked all over on their website and could not find any blanket prohibitions; just those specific to shippers.
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: How to ship? - 02/02/23
Originally Posted by centershot
Any guns I sell are now shipped by my FFL guy - handgun or long gun. USPS will not take a firearm from a non FFL here (I tried in Dec.). I think you will be into shipping at least $60 with the oversize package fee plus FFL transfer fee. They really are taking the fun out of trading guns.......

Your usps deserves to be properly educated. Call someone above whoever told you that.
Posted By: 160user Re: How to ship? - 02/02/23
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Your usps deserves to be properly educated. Call someone above whoever told you that.

USPS asks if your package contains any "liquid, fragile, perishable, potentially hazardous including lithium batteries........."............But they never ask the content.
Posted By: texasbatman Re: How to ship? - 02/02/23
ShipMyGuns website shows a max weight of 15 pounds for a long gun, I'm sending a heavy barrel 22lr trainer and am over that. Advice??
May have to ship in two packages.

Jim
Posted By: BradArnett Re: How to ship? - 02/02/23
Where's Bricktop? 😂
Posted By: Woodsman1991 Re: How to ship? - 02/02/23
Originally Posted by webfoot56

Have learned the hard way on the shipping insurance nightmare. Pack it crazy well, and take pictures of it prior to shipment along with the packing. If it get's damaged then you'll have to show documentation that you properly packed it.
Posted By: Craigster Re: How to ship? - 02/03/23
Usps does not take firearms anymore.

Wrong .
Posted By: magnum44270 Re: How to ship? - 02/03/23
Fed ex ground. Schedule a pick up online and they come to you to get it. Easy peasy
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: How to ship? - 02/03/23
Originally Posted by magnum44270
Fed ex ground. Schedule a pick up online and they come to you to get it. Easy peasy

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/how-to-ship-firearms.html
Originally Posted by BradArnett
Where's Bricktop? 😂

Laughing his ass off.
Posted By: Muffin Re: How to ship? - 02/03/23
Originally Posted by 160user
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

USPS asks if your package contains any "liquid, fragile, perishable, potentially hazardous including lithium batteries........."............But they never ask the content.

And my answer is 'NO, as long as you don't try to eat it'
Posted By: centershot Re: How to ship? - 02/03/23
What happens if there is an issue and the package gets opened? Not worth going to jail over for me.
What happens if there is an issue and the package gets opened? Not worth going to jail over for me.

Which carrier are you speaking of?
Posted By: 160user Re: How to ship? - 02/03/23

I believe this is a company policy, not a law.
© 24hourcampfire