Home
A friend is thinking of selling his 257 Roberts Ruger. It's an older tang safety with an old 3- 9 Leupold scope and appears to be in very good shape. 90-95% new condition.
I’d agree 800-1000 depending on bore and scope condition.
Depends upon the model. Ultralight 77 would command a higher price than the standard M77
Does it have factory sight?
Thanks,
Rick
Is the stock all walnut or does it by chance have a black fore end tip?
Sub'd for more info and or pics
$700.00
Originally Posted by Doc_Holidude
I’d agree 800-1000 depending on bore and scope condition.

I think this is in the ballpark or maybe a bit more.
A Ruger M77 tang safety in any caliber. Going for $450 to $500 around here. But we're not in super hot hunting country.

Good luck!
I just bought a red pad tang safety .243 for $675 shipped with a older weaver scope on it
Originally Posted by Lockhart
A Ruger M77 tang safety in any caliber. Going for $450 to $500 around here. But we're not in super hot hunting country.

Good luck!

Assuming excellent condition, I’ll pay a 10% finder’s fee for the first 10 you can find me at this price chambered in .250,.257,7mm-08, .358 or 35 Whelen. Others perhaps if they have the factory open sights.

Good luck!

Whereabout in NC can you get such great deals?
The rifle in question is the plain old vanilla flavored M77 with a naked barrel (no sights) and the standard walnut stock with red pad.

I'm out of town til next week but will touch base with him when I get back to see if he made a decision and get some photos if he's really serious about selling.

There's a lot of history between him and that rifle and a considerable pile of dead deer and elk to show for it.

Thanks for your interest and input.

I'll update you all next week.
I ran into a guy 10/12 years ago at a show that had a m77 tang 257 he stated was American Black walnut and was 2x the going rate for a "standard" m77. He must have had the only factory m77 stocked with American black walnut as I have never seen any other with this claim. Is there any truth to that or was he just BSing hope to cash in?
Originally Posted by WMR

Good luck!

Assuming excellent condition, I’ll pay a 10% finder’s fee for the first 10 you can find me at this price chambered in .250,.257,7mm-08, .358 or 35 Whelen. Others perhaps if they have the factory open sights.

I’m with him! Find me a 77 Tanger in Bob in decent to great shape for $450-$500 and I’ll gladly give you that plus the finder bump and money for the ride…and I already own one!
Originally Posted by jlink280
I ran into a guy 10/12 years ago at a show that had a m77 tang 257 he stated was American Black walnut and was 2x the going rate for a "standard" m77. He must have had the only factory m77 stocked with American black walnut as I have never seen any other with this claim. Is there any truth to that or was he just BSing hope to cash in?

I'm not aware of standard M77s being stocked in any type of "select grade" of walnut. Ruger would buy rough walnut blanks by the thousands, and machine them by the thousands.

That being said, some of them, especially early ones, had absolutely gorgeous wood on them. Just random luck of the draw.
That is the key, early and lucky, just like hunting
Originally Posted by jlink280
They all use Black Walnut.Black Walnut is the most common available to USA gun manufactures. English ,French ,Turkish are all premium walnuts because they are denser. Some make a hoopla about Claro.It is very soft ,but can have great figure.
As it now stands.....
He has decided to hang on to this rifle for now. He said he hopes to get at least one more season with it this fall and, depending on health, may decide to sell it after this years hunt.
Ruger 77's are going for big money! in most places I've looked, $1000+, depending on the scope.
Originally Posted by MickeyD
As it now stands.....
He has decided to hang on to this rifle for now. He said he hopes to get at least one more season with it this fall and, depending on health, may decide to sell it after this years hunt.

I had a early M77 in 257 Roberts that was lucky if it would put three rounds into 2 inches at a 100 yards. I tried every bullet I could find and tried literally 100's of different loads with dismal results.
The one and only M77 I gave up hope on. I wish I could tell you the production year, but it would have been within the first three years.
My buddy's looking to get rid of an old 77 Ultralight in 257roberts, was interested in this thread. I could steal it I needed it, but I'm stacked, was curious as to price. It's exc cond, has a scope.
Originally Posted by Johnly1923
Originally Posted by MickeyD
As it now stands.....

I had a early M77 in 257 Roberts that was lucky if it would put three rounds into 2 inches at a 100 yards. I tried every bullet I could find and tried literally 100's of different loads with dismal results.
The one and only M77 I gave up hope on. I wish I could tell you the production year, but it would have been within the first three years.
I doubt it was within the first three years of production, those were Douglas Barrels of very good reputation regarding accuracy. It was most likely the follow on Wilson barrel contract that had QC issues.
Originally Posted by lc11
My buddy's looking to get rid of an old 77 Ultralight in 257roberts, was interested in this thread. I could steal it I needed it, but I'm stacked, was curious as to price. It's exc cond, has a scope.
Is it a tang safety Ultralight and what scope is mounted on it?
I paid $575.00 for my .257 M77 almost 20 years ago
Ran into new in box 77 ultralight in 250-3000 few years ago with the tang safety. It's still new in the box.
© 24hourcampfire