Home
Posted By: 78CJ FS: Winchester Pre-64 30/06 - 01/16/24
Pics should tell the story. I don't know a lot about these but this one seems to come from an era where they seemed to lose their finish. I have similar time frame 94's that exibit the same finish loss. Blue is excellent. There is a very minor bit of corrosion in the last inch of the bore. I cleaned it up a bit but you can still see it if you look hard. Priced accordingly in my opinion. $950 shipped.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: 78CJ Re: FS: Winchester Pre-64 30/06 - 01/16/24
Has the stock been broken and repaired below the serial number? From the pictures it looks that way.
No, I saw that. Never noticed it until I posted the pic. All original and probably a closet queen sans the missing finish.
Originally Posted by 78CJ
No, I saw that. Never noticed it until I posted the pic. All original and probably a closet queen sans the missing finish.

A repaired crack would also explain the finish lost was my reason for asking. In the picture it REALLY looks like an old repair and crack.
Originally Posted by 160user

A repaired crack would also explain the finish lost was my reason for asking. In the picture it REALLY looks like an old repair and crack.

Looks like it was broken to me as well. Has it been glass bedded? Maybe someone didn't use release agent?
Out of curiosity I just went and looked. Too late to mess with pics but it does not project up or down. Possibly a factory attempt to stabilize the poor grain layout? You can feel it if you run your hand over it. I did not notice it before.
BSA had a good point. Have you ever had the action out of the stock? If so, what did the inside of the stock in the area of question look like.
Out of curiosity I just went and looked. Too late to mess with pics but it does not project up or down. Possibly a factory attempt to stabilize the poor grain layout? You can feel it if you run your hand over it. I did not notice it before.

I have seen similar before. I believe it is this - poor grain layout. A look inside will tell the tale.
I have not. Took it in on trade. Just looking to move things along. Honestly, were I or my family right handed we would keep it.
The more I look at the pictures the more confident I am the stock has been repaired at some point in its life. The side by the serial number is easy to see. Looking at picture 4 I see what COULD be a repair from the rear peep sight mounting hole and extends to the upper corner of the checkering on the pistol grip. Again, removing the action from the stock would help verify or clarify any potential repairs. Some 'smith's do FINE work and the repairs are almost unnoticeable.
I agree, repaired crack. You can see it on both sides .

I'm sure most of us appreciate the fact you are showing the rifle in good detail. We are not trying to crap on your rifle either. It's priced fairly, but the stock does show some areas of concern. If you pull the action out of the stock, that may show the full story. These stocks are not hard to come by, if someone needed to restock it. GLWS.
Tag
Posted By: GBOB Re: FS: Winchester Pre-64 30/06 - 01/16/24
Posted By: Jkob Re: FS: Winchester Pre-64 30/06 - 01/16/24
Quit crapping on this guy's ad, it is worth it for the barreled action alone!
I’m not convinced that it is a crack. But since it’s been brought up, pictures of the inside would certainly help to alleviate concern. Hopefully the OP can post a couple.
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
I’m not convinced that it is a crack. But since it’s been brought up, pictures of the inside would certainly help to alleviate concern. Hopefully the OP can post a couple.

That is what I am waiting for.
Sent PM but recieved no answer…
Crapping on other folks ads, it's what the Campfire naysayers do !
PM sent
Originally Posted by gunswizard

Asking legitimate questions on a rifle I was interested in is now considered "crapping" on them?
every one seems to have their dates correct. carry on. nice rilfle GLWS
Posted By: Dinny Re: FS: Winchester Pre-64 30/06 - 01/16/24

I would be shocked if you still have your own front teeth.
160user has been one of the most trusted and helpful people that post on this classified section. If you'd like to have the same reputation he does maybe an apology is in order for that statement.
I think this question is pretty relevant to the sale; I would not be offended as a seller - and would expect to answer this inquiry - if it were my item.
Typically, when an add goes to discussion, I try to take my questions to messages. Making comments that challenge the seller to prove or disprove something merely lengthens the add and doesn’t help the seller, who I think is legitimate, sale the item. All that can and probably should be handle via messaging.
Just my two cents worth…
Wayne
AK is right. There are questions being asked and they are honorable. One question for everybody...Have you ever seen one crack there before? I haven't seen it in that spot before on the Model 70. Please tell me if I am loopy. A few good photos from above and below the area should help answer questions unless the seller was able to provide photos with action removed.
Darrel Wick
I too feel like that would be a hard place to crack a stock.

Going to get out the screwdriver, starting to feel like Geraldo here......

Stay tuned.

Stay tuned.

Thank you. I appreciate it.

Stay tuned.

Thank you. I appreciate it.

im gonna tell my kids this was the 3/5ths compromise.
Originally Posted by mauserfan
AK is right. There are questions being asked and they are honorable. One question for everybody...Have you ever seen one crack there before? I haven't seen it in that spot before on the Model 70. Please tell me if I am loopy. A few good photos from above and below the area should help answer questions unless the seller was able to provide photos with action removed.
Darrel Wick

I have never seen one crack there and maintain that it is just poor layout, but sounds like we will all get to see here in the near future.
Posted By: Bugger Re: FS: Winchester Pre-64 30/06 - 01/16/24
Originally Posted by waynemac4
Typically, when an add goes to discussion, I try to take my questions to messages. Making comments that challenge the seller to prove or disprove something merely lengthens the add and doesn’t help the seller, who I think is legitimate, sale the item. All that can and probably should be handle via messaging.
Just my two cents worth…
Wayne

^^^^ THIS ^^^^
+1 PM is the way to ask questions, asking/challenging in the open forum is not the way to go about it.
I’m betting on grain tearout below the serial and grain color variation below bolt release. These images are getting more scrutiny than anything since hanging chads and the Zapruder film. If it’s a repaired crack I wanna know the smithy. Have a stock I may need to send him.

Regardless this is a good distraction since all my hunting seasons of interest have passed for the year.
+1 PM is the way to ask questions, asking/challenging in the open forum is not the way to go about it.

Another way to look at it is that if the question is asked on the forum then you don't get 25 PM's asking the same thing. I never meant to "challenge" the OP, I was merely asking questions. It appears he has a nice rifle that is fairly priced. Believe it or not, I even ask questions out loud at the local gun shop.
Posted By: Osky Re: FS: Winchester Pre-64 30/06 - 01/16/24

Another way to look at it is that if the question is asked on the forum then you don't get 25 PM's asking the same thing. I never meant to "challenge" the OP, I was merely asking questions. It appears he has a nice rifle that is fairly priced. Believe it or not, I even ask questions out loud at the local gun shop.

Out loud at the local gun shop?! No wonder you were banned from the army/navy store.

Fair question fairly asked, and well taken by the seller as well. I was looking at this as well and was about to ask.

Osky
Just got in from a hike, time for dinner. After that I'll break out the 40 year old chipped up Stanley's and clamp'er in the vice! Pics soon....
That was a cold hike I bet.
Just got in from a hike, time for dinner. After that I'll break out the 40 year old chipped up Stanley's and clamp'er in the vice! Pics soon....

lol

That was funny 78. You’re a good man!
I don't think I have any 40 years tools.
The suspense is terrific 😂😇

A hike in this weather? You are tougher than me. And I do appreciate your humor.
Posted By: 78CJ Re: FS: Winchester Pre-64 30/06 - 01/17/24
So, let me start out by saying I appreciate everyone trying to quell the negatives. There are certainly some posts on FS items that border on inappropriate. In this case I am not concerned. I had not considered this may be a crack. I only photoed that spot for the SN. If someone sees something wrong with anything I am selling I appreciate them speaking up. I am not interested in selling my reputation by trying to dupe someone for a couple hundred bucks.

I sell on here and Gunbroker. I did not take this to GB as anymore I try to avoid the hassle on items that are more common. Hard core collector stuff yes, as we all know the reality is that your going to reach a bigger audience and frankly there are some things that are only going to sell to flippers here at a serious loss.

Funny story, I have only had one "F" on GB. Was a buyer out of Oregon that bought an AK-47. He was all in a tizzy after he and his "Gunsmith" inspected the gun and identified a "chip" in the rifling. Needless to say I did not refund the gun even after he threatened to blog me out of existence! Bonus points if you can tell me what they were seeing......

Lastly, I have had several PM offers and I appreciate it. One thing I will say is that I am not a negotiator. I just don't do it. So if you want it for a price, name your best because I am either going to accept or decline. Nothing wrong with negotiation but it's just not my nature. Takes up too much time and digs into things like hiking in 12"-18" of snow in single digits!
Oh, as to Capone's vault.......

This is a scratch
I did miss that the floorplate has a scratch

Looks like 1949
Looks good to go. On the rifling oil spot. Enjoy your hiking. I myself walk our property in the snow but do not get near that much anymore. Always see some real neat stuff.
So, let me start out by saying I appreciate everyone trying to quell the negatives. There are certainly some posts on FS items that border on inappropriate. In this case I am not concerned. I had not considered this may be a crack. I only photoed that spot for the SN. If someone sees something wrong with anything I am selling I appreciate them speaking up. I am not interested in selling my reputation by trying to dupe someone for a couple hundred bucks.

I hope you didn't take my posts as negative or accusing you of anything as that was never my intent. Maybe I need to get my eyes checked but I was asking questions about what appeared to be a crack. From the pictures you just posted I no longer have that concern and it looks like a very solid 75 year old rifle. Your pictures also answered the questions about accra glass and bedding compounds so THANK YOU SIR. Now we come to the topic of "enjoying" hikes in 18 inches of fresh powder in single digit temps.........:)

I hope you didn't take my posts as negative or accusing you of anything as that was never my intent. Maybe I need to get my eyes checked but I was asking questions about what appeared to be a crack. From the pictures you just posted I no longer have that concern and it looks like a very solid 75 year old rifle. Your pictures also answered the questions about accra glass and bedding compounds so THANK YOU SIR. Now we come to the topic of "enjoying" hikes in 18 inches of fresh powder in single digit temps.........:)

Not at all, that was my point. I hadn't considered that anomaly so it made for good conversation.

As for the hiking. We just try and keep moving, I am convinced that is part of the equation when it comes to longevity but you never know.....
If you spend enough time on here you won't need to hike any more. We get enough exercise jumping to conclusions, flying off the handle and running each other into the ground. smile
0-2 on finding Capone's gold. But at least no one punched you in the nose, right?
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
0-2 on finding Capone's gold. But at least no one punched you in the nose, right?

Not recently anyway!
Only thing I can think of that would look like a chip in the rifling in AK barrel would be the gas port hole.....??
Originally Posted by jmcdguns
Only thing I can think of that would look like a chip in the rifling in AK barrel would be the gas port hole.....??

Yup, I could not convince them that is what it was!
I've seen "cracks" like that in gunstocks that I think weren't cracks at all, merely wind checks in the original stick that came out of the tree. Often not discovered until the wood is opened up when making the stock.
GLWS. Free bump on a sweet rifle.

I would buy it right now myself if my family wasn’t expecting another baby in May!!
Three pages and still nobody has said the magic words.
Three pages and still nobody has said the magic words.

Including you......
I will take it. Per. PM's

Thanks, Fred
Originally Posted by LazyL0228
I will take it. Per. PM's

Thanks, Fred

Someone finally came to their senses.

Well bought.
Posted By: 78CJ Re: FS: Winchester Pre-64 30/06 - 01/18/24
Sold
Picked up 30-06 today. Thanks to all that passed. Got a nice pre. 64 at a heck of a price. My son has his eye on it. Better lock it up. LOL
All's well that ends well! Congratulations on nice purchase to the buyer and the seller "good on you" for taking legit questions in stride.
© 24hourcampfire