Home
Posted By: RDMartin53 FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 08/17/08
I have a few Beetle Cleaned Skulls for sale. They are all fresh cleaned, degreased thoroughly, whitened and sealed with clear Paraloid resin (will not yellow over time). Prices are shipped USPS Priority to CONUS.
Bobcats-35.00 each, one bobcat has bullet hole visible from bottom under eye.
Lg. Coyote-1 chipped & 1 broken canine, lots of character-35.00
Fox-30.00
Badger- missing a few lower teeth-25.00
Mink-20.00 each
Several Beetle Cleaned only skulls available (not degreased, whitened or sealed)-20.00 each shipped. More pictures available on request [email protected]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Al1 Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 08/17/08
do you custom clean skulls?

I hve a couple of black bear skulls that I need to get done.

thx
Oh yes! I charge 65.00 for bear plus return shipping. 30 day turn around right now. Thanks, RD
Pictures of completed work available. Bear, Mountain Lion, Deer, Elk, Antelope. I will Bettle clean almost anything. I can do skulls that are mummified/uncleaned for 10 years plus and get 99% white.
Posted By: jpb Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 08/17/08
RD:

free bump!

That is quality work from what I can see -- and I zoomed in on the images a lot! None of the splits in the teeth result from boiling.

I think you may also really know what you are doing from what you type as well. We use the same resin to seal skulls and bones in our university teaching collections.

John
Thanks for the kind words John. The Resin is common here in the U.S. with Museums and Universities as well. I purchase mine from a Museum Service Company. It is a great product that protects against flaking and seals canines that are prone to cracking or spliting. It is the best sealant that I have found for bone.
You don't happen to be located in Florence do you?
No, I am over in the West Kootenai across the reservoir from Eureka.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 08/17/08
RD, what do you charge for a bobcat and fox skull. I think I still have 2 in the freezer. All hide has been removed because I got full body mounts done on them. Do you have plaques?
Sakoluvr, 20.00 each plus return shipping. I do not have anything small enough to mount fox or bobcat on. Usually displayed as a paperweight or on a shelf.
Can you PM me with all information; payment method, address, how to ship etc.? Will they come back bleached/de-greased? Turn-around time?
PM inbound with info.
Price is finished skulls as in pictures. Turn around is about 3-4 weeks depending on how greasy the cat is. Carnivores always have deep grease in the bone that can be stubborn.
Nice work!
Originally Posted by prostrate8
Nice work!

THANKS!
Originally Posted by RDMartin53
PM inbound with info.
Price is finished skulls as in pictures. Turn around is about 3-4 weeks depending on how greasy the cat is. Carnivores always have deep grease in the bone that can be stubborn.

RD, I did not get the PM. I had some problems with PM's before, so please try again if you sent me one. Thanks.
Sent again.
Got it this time.
Thanks for all the responses to my work. Thought I should post a picture of something larger. One of my favorite specimens. I cleaned more of these this year than normal.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 30338 Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 08/18/08
I had my bighorn ram done with a traditional shoulder mount, but that one looks awesome. Nice work. We'll be talking.
Posted By: cocomen69 Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 08/18/08
What do you charge to do a pronghorn?
I have charged 65.00 for the past 7 years. Price is still the same. Thank you for asking.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rc82bttb Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 08/18/08
i imagine you are going to stay busy. Nice work!
Very nice work.

Please PM me your contact info. and price list.
inbound FOs, Thanks
Posted By: Hubert Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 08/18/08
I though this was for cleaned beetle skulls, I wanted to see what the little suckers looked like.
Posted By: rc82bttb Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 08/18/08
Post a pic of them little buggers at work.
Originally Posted by rc82bttb
Post a pic of them little buggers at work.

This is one I had from a few years ago. Colony has grown several million since. I go in my beetle house early in the morning when it is cool to keep out flies. It hotter than a chili fart outside right now. I need to get a current picture.

[Linked Image]
THose look more like Larvae than beetles. Ive seen some beetle colonies before, but the ones ive seen, the beetles are doing most of the eating...
The actual beetle is the mature adult and is the egg layer. The ones you see in the picture do the work. The larve are the eaters. The floor of my large box is about 4" thick of moving eaters. I have them all named too. They are on maintenance level of feed production now. I feed 3-5 lbs of boneless meat every 48 hours. I am bringing the colony up to maximum potential for the upcoming season in just a few weeks. I put in a mature cow elk skull with eyes, lower jaw and tongue intact and it was completely cleaned in 2 days. I normally feed customers heads completely prepped with excess meat removed including brains flushed.
This is a prepped skull. This Bighorn had more fat on his head than most I have seen.

[Linked Image]
prepped Elk

[Linked Image]
Thanks for the info, the colonies that I have seen must be different "bugs" I think they were museum beetles? I have seen huge colonies of them, but the actual beetle was doing the eating...
Posted By: BOW777 Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 08/18/08
Hey RD, great looking work!

By any chance to you have any more antelope samples? the angle of that pic was kinda of different. I couldnt see the skull real well .

thnx
Originally Posted by BOW777
Hey RD, great looking work!

By any chance to you have any more antelope samples? the angle of that pic was kinda of different. I couldnt see the skull real well .

thnx

This is the only other Antelope I have in this computer. I see what you mean on the picture. That Antelope is one of my favorites as it is the biggest one I have cleaned and was shot by a 14 year old Amish girl. Also my EX-wife left the door open to my shop and the dog took one of the horn sheaths and I found it buried in the mules shed a month later still in perfect shape. I was going to have to make a mold of the one I had and make a duplicate. Not an easy task. Very lucky to have found it especially not chewed up. Dogs are forbidden anywhere around the shop now. I know several Taxidermist that have similar incidents.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cocomen69 Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 08/19/08
RDMartin, can you please PM me your contact info and price list?
Posted By: BOW777 Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 08/19/08
THANKS RD!

That is a much better angle. Now you can really appreciate both the beauty of the animal and the excellent work.

Very Nice!
Originally Posted by cocomen69
Thanks for the info, the colonies that I have seen must be different "bugs" I think they were museum beetles? I have seen huge colonies of them, but the actual beetle was doing the eating...

Here is some published info on Beetles that explains it a little more than I did.
The dermestid or carpet beetle belongs to the family Dermestidae. Dermestids feed on mainly dry-moist animal material but I have not found them to be overly picky with their dining preferences. There are many species of Dermestid beetles that live in N. America and you have probably come across them a time or two whether you know it or not. These beetles will invariably show up at a carcass, and leave behind a tell tale pile of shells which the beetles discarded as they molted. Domestic colonization of wild species has proven to be very difficult, however the species most easily colonized is Dermestes maculatus. These beetles metamorphosis; that is, egg, larval, pupal, and adult stages. The complete life cycle lasts about 45 days per generation. The adult beetles lay eggs which are too small to be seen with the naked eye. A few days later very small larvae hatch out which begin looking for their first meal. The larvae continue eating and molting 8 times
before they reach about � of an inch in length. This growing and molting period lasts about 30 days. It is the larvae that do the majority of the cleaning, however the adult will continue to eat, but they tend to have less of an appetite. When the large larvae mature
and their bellies are full they find a quite spot to pupate. As they pupate their last outer larvae skin falls off leaving them somewhat yellow in appearance. 7 days later out comes an adult beetle. Within a day or two the adult is laying 4-5
eggs a day and the whole process begins again.
Originally Posted by cocomen69
RDMartin, can you please PM me your contact info and price list?

PM sent.
THANKS, RD
BTT.....I would also trade skulls or skull cleaning services for reloading tools or supplies.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 08/21/08
Randy, my skulls are being mailed to you tomorrow morning via priority mail.
Posted By: Huntz Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 08/23/08
What would be the charge for a Deer????Thanx,Huntz
I charge 75.00 for whitetail or mulie. That does not include a plaque but does have a stainless braided wire looped through the nueral canal for a hanger.
Thanks!
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 08/23/08
Randy, my skulls went out yesterday. I hope they make it, before the post office thinks there is a dead body part in the box from the smell.

Hey, how about a wild boar head?
Your skulls should be here tomorrow. Post Office here is used to me getting some funky boxes and only get a little big eyed over the ones that leak. I will let you know as soon as they arrive.

75.00 -100.00 on the Boar depending on size.
John, Skulls made it fine. Great packing job. They were in with the Beetles at 11:30am. Nice cat with the grooves in his top canines.
I will keep you posted.
Thanks again,
-Randy
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 08/23/08
Bump for RDMartin53. Glad to hear they didn't have to sit at the PO until Monday. I will see what else I can collect for you this fall.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 09/22/08
Randy, the skulls are awesome! Thanks for the fast turn-around too. You will be getting more from me after this hunting season (I hope smirk ).

To whoever wants top quality work, Randy is your man. Here is the bobcat and fox that he did for me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

John, I appreciate the business and especially the kind words. I hope your 11 yr. old gets to stick that nice buck from the trail cam. Good luck this season!

How much for a bighorn 2-3 yrs old?
65.00 plus return shipping. Bighorn is my favorite next to non-typical whitetails.
What would you charge to do a deer skull w/ plaque? Thanks

coyoteman22
Posted By: muleshoe Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 09/23/08
I normally feed customers heads completely prepped with excess meat removed including brains flushed.

Yikes!! Those would be the non-paying customers?

Very nice work. Would you mind sending me a PM with your address and price list?
100.00 with plaque plus shipping.
Thanks!
Originally Posted by muleshoe
I normally feed customers heads completely prepped with excess meat removed including brains flushed.

Yikes!! Those would be the non-paying customers?

Very nice work. Would you mind sending me a PM with your address and price list?

Guess I could have worded that a little different(grin)

Price info sent.
Thanks!
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 10/31/08
Randy- PM being sent. I have another skull for you.
John, Thanks! PM returned. I have a day to spend with the camera for skull work in progress. Thanks for the business guys!
Posted By: cocomen69 Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 10/31/08
Hey RD, how are our Lopes coming?
They are getting ready for the photo session. 2 are degreasing and 1 is one is finishing in the beetle tank now. All horn sheaths are packed and curing.
Pictures sent and pm's returned.

Thanks!
Posted By: BOW777 Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 11/01/08
Got your PM. thnxs
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 11/02/08
Bump for a nice guy to deal with.

Randy, my whitetail skull is being mailed tomorrow.
Thanks John, I will be watching for it. My Beetles really like Venison! They have been eating Antelope for a while.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 12/04/08
A bump for RDMartin53. Just got my whitetail skull back from him, and it came out great. Randy has done 3 skulls for me, and will be getting another whitetail shortly.
THANKS for the bump and the business!

Here is a picture of the finishing bench yesterday. The 2 whitetails are drying from degreasing and ready to whiten.
[Linked Image]
A few hours later..

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 12/04/08
I like to get treated right, and gladly tell others when it happens.
Posted By: MTHunter Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 12/04/08
PM sent
Posted By: 257wby Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 12/04/08
I have some nice antelope horn sheaths from a goat I shot 30 years ago. If you ever end up with a pronghorn skull that nobody picks up or can't afford etc, I would be interested in the skull only, I don't need the sheaths. Keep me in mind.
Posted By: BOW777 Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 12/17/08
Got my Antelopes today. They are the 3 on the picture above. GREAT work, excellent communication and turn around time. What else can you ask for. A++++ from me

Thanks again Randy!
Posted By: Gnash Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 12/17/08
Hey, Randy...
Can you do a Gator ? I got a head from a 12+ footer in the freezer, just wondering what to do with it... This would be Great!

thx,
Gnash
I did a 6ft for an Amish guy that took a trip to FLA. and he is like a kid with this thing. Gator skulls are cool. Lots of teeth! A 12ft gator is a BIG gator! Bone structure on a skull is really cool. How long is the head? Guessing 2 1/2 ft.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 12/17/08
Wow, I like that! Gonna have to git me a gator! Hey randy, how is my latest whitetail coming along?
I just skimmed the fat of the top of the degreasing container he is in. The bugs did their part.
Posted By: remfak Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 12/18/08
For anybody wondering about Randy's work, or what it is like to deal with him, let me tell you........

His Work - AWESOME!! You really can't ask for a nicer work. He does a fantastic job!!

His Business - Randy is timely, he communicates regularly, he is very pleasant to deal with, and his prices are very reasonable.

My daughter and I could not be happier with the outcome!!

Thanks Randy!!
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 12/18/08
+1 Randy has completed 3 skulls for me, and he is working on a 4th.
PM sent with question. Thanks
Posted By: kend Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 12/18/08
Just spent $165 to have my Taxidermist do my Bear.
Hey Guys THANKS for the kind words. That means more than anything!!

Shawn, pm replied to.

kend, 165.00, what did he do to your bear?
ttt
This is my finish table today at lunch. I want to THANK the "fire" members that kept me working through Christmas.
THANKS AGAIN!!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jry444 Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 12/28/08
what do you have for sale at this time? please send me pics and prices.Thanks in advance,Jim

[email protected]
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 12/28/08
Randy, you are my go to man! Thanks for all the great work you have done for me this year.
Posted By: 30338 Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 12/29/08
How are guys shipping deer heads in? Got a medium mule deer head frozen and trying to decide to ship it or have it done locally. The antelope Randy did for me was first class.
Sealed tight/leakproof and preferred in a rubbermaid type tote sealed(returned of course). MUST be LEAKPROOF. Folks get a little freaky with blood leaking from a box. This time of year as long as the skull is frozen when it leaves express mail is not mandatory. Christmas rush is over and ground fedex or UPS is fine.
Posted By: remfak Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 12/29/08
I put two antelope heads side-by-side in a tote like Randy describes. I put them in several plastic trash bags to help avoid leaking, wrapped the horns in bubble wrap, than filled the box with foam peanuts. It worked well, and he sends the head(s) back in the same container.
Just got back my Bobcat I killed about 2 months ago. Absolutely spotless! I will be sending my badger on Monday!
Posted By: CWD Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 03/06/09
Randy does great work. You won't be disappointed. He did a deer skull for me this winter.
Randy,
Could you send me your contact and shipping info for my files. Have a few skulls in freezer at work that I won't get to till spring.
Thanks!
pm inbound with price list.

Thanks!

Return time currently less than 30 days.
Bears & Hogs slightly longer.
Posted By: jry444 Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 03/07/09
anything new Randy?
Finally getting caught up. A couple of HUGE bears in this week. Took the last lion (175ib male) out today and put in 3 deer. Barbary Sheep being delivered tomorrow. Still got some more darn Bison to do. Other than that having to chase elk out of my hay every evening and they are starting to get used to me. Life is good!
Posted By: Palmetto Re: FS Beetle Cleaned Skulls - 03/07/09
can you send me a price list?

Thanks

Jeff
pm on the way.

Thanks!
© 24hourcampfire