Home
Posted By: Freedumb1 WTS- SAKO L-579 .243 WIN. - 10/12/08
Bought in the 70's, has been a safe queen ever since. I always had an excuse for not taking it into the field. Shot at the range into nice tiny holes in the paper. Maybe 100 rounds down bore since I have owned.

I would say blueing is 99 %, with some shiny spots at 22" bbl tip, (going in and out a case)and some sharp points.
Stock has no dents or scratches.
In great shape for a 40+ year old rifle.

I will include mount and rings shown, but keep scope.

$700 + $25 shipping and insurance in lower 48.
$700 + FREE SHIPPING TO CALIFORNIA (now if I have appeased all the bruised feelers)
$700 + actual shipping and insurance cost to Alaska and Hawaii.

If you want some more pictures, just ask,

Thanks for looking,

F1

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: jobyjob Re: WTS- SAKO L-579 .243 WIN. - 10/12/08
That's awesome!
Very nice rifle, but why exclude California?
See my first post.

So sorry,

Don't blame the gun owners and hunters, the very people you would be selling to.

If you want to act childish, go ahead - but shipping it to a FFL ain't hard, and actually gives you protection. You'll have a paper trail for any bad dealings with the buyer, and the 10 day waiting period is built-in funds clearance insurance.

Your choice, my 2 cents.
And last time I checked, you iowans are about to vote Obama.
See above post.
I'll take it.....PM mw with details. I'll even throw in an extra c-note just cause it's pretty.

Oops...nevermind, I'm in (it's spelled with a "C" d.....s) California!

And......as soon as you Iowaian's vote Osamma into office, I mean Obamma into office,
Please send all your guns to the Whitehouse. Good news though, you won't
have to wait on an FFL from Barack to send em!!!!!
Posted By: luv99s Re: WTS- SAKO L-579 .243 WIN. - 10/13/08
If you are not an FFL, you just ship to FFL nothing has changed to sell to California unless you are an FFL, you are correct, liberalism is a mental disorder,Carya99.
A thousand pardons for my insensitivity.

F1
Posted By: jobyjob Re: WTS- SAKO L-579 .243 WIN. - 10/13/08
I thought you had to call ahead and get some kind of authorization number from the Cali State Government to send with the rifle before a Cali FFL could accept the delivery?
Posted By: luv99s Re: WTS- SAKO L-579 .243 WIN. - 10/13/08
Only if you have an FFL, because shipping number is kept in there records for 3 years, non FFL ship long guns the same as it has always been, to an FFL,Carya99
Free......you are a fine man
Hope you sell it real quick
Dave
TTT
Posted By: emmerth Re: WTS- SAKO L-579 .243 WIN. - 10/14/08
Free,

Who is the manufacturer of the stock?

Thanks
I bought the rifle used, but I am 99.9% sure it is factory?

Someone tell me if I am wrong?

Emmerth,

I bet we will have an answer soon,

Mitch
The only factory laminated stocks that I have seen didn't have a fore end tip cap.

I reserve the right to be misinformed
Posted By: emmerth Re: WTS- SAKO L-579 .243 WIN. - 10/14/08
It looks like a H & R???

What does the buttpad say?
Notice it is also a L579 with the AII shroud. I have one like it, but haven't seen too many
Posted By: Jkob Re: WTS- SAKO L-579 .243 WIN. - 10/14/08
I have an original one in 243 I would sell for $525 plus shipping. Emails please if interested.
Originally Posted by emmerth
It looks like a H & R???

What does the buttpad say?

It is a:

Trade Mark
White Line
Pachmayr Gun Works
Los Angeles, 15 California USA

I am such a Dumb_ss that I thought all these years a "L"579 meant laminate 579.

I could find no verbage on stock anywhere, inside or out, or under butt-pad.

Any Sako experts want to chime in?

And to clear up the shipping issue,

$700 Free Shipping to anywhere in the US.
Well, the obvious question is - how does it shoot?
Posted By: shrapnel Re: WTS- SAKO L-579 .243 WIN. - 10/15/08
There seems to be some inconsistancies in that rifle. It has a shrouded bolt that didn't show up on Sakos until Stoeger imported them. That would put the bolt being made in the 1980's at the earliest.

The stock has the rosewood grip cap and fore-end of a Deluxe. The floorplate/triggerguard is that of a deluxe. Deluxes also had Sako recoil pads, no laminated stocks. Stoeger Deluxes were not L579, they were AII.

I would check the underside of the bolt handle and see what the serial number was, it should match that of the action. I don't know how it could match as the action is definately earlier than the bolt.

I would guess this is made from at least 2 different rifles.
Serial number 32609X, bolt is 09X, same number.

I have shot factory 100 gr. Win, and Federal. And the rifle shoots better than I can hold. I could shoot 1" 100 yard groups with little effort.

Any more Sako guys want to offer an explanation as to the make-up or history of this rifle?

As I have stated I am the secomd owner and purchased the rifle some years ago, my feeble memory thought late 70's, but could have been in 80's I guess.
Posted By: emmerth Re: WTS- SAKO L-579 .243 WIN. - 10/15/08
If the barrel is marked Sako then I would guess that it is a Sako production that has been restocked and not just a Sako action on a different platform. For example, H & R produced rifles using the Sako actions. These rifles had diffent stocks and barrels.

I own many Sako's and have seen many hybrids but I have never seen this configuration.
Posted By: Live Oak Re: WTS- SAKO L-579 .243 WIN. - 10/15/08
The simple explanation is that it is probably a mid to late 70's Stoeger import L579 deluxe (6 digit serial number idicates this) with the later closed bolt shroud (which evolved into the later AII action)that the previous owner replaced the deluxe stock with an aftermarket laminate.

Nice rifle and free bump.
Posted By: Daveh Re: WTS- SAKO L-579 .243 WIN. - 10/15/08
I knew Live Oak would know the deal.

Posted By: Live Oak Re: WTS- SAKO L-579 .243 WIN. - 10/15/08
You place too much faith in me, Dave, I think I meant to say it was a Garcia import and not Stoeger... Stoeger would have been the start of the A series actions, right around 1979, even though the transition to the closed bolt shroud had already occurred. I even have an L61R heavy barreled Garcia import in 25.06 that has the closed bolt shroud.
Thanks to all for the information.

The BBL is marked on top, in front of receiver:

SAKO
Cal..243

Rifle is still for sale,

$700 SHIPPED. (to anywhere in the US)
Back to page one.
Let's try $675 Shipped in the good old USA
Posted By: btb375 Re: WTS- SAKO L-579 .243 WIN. - 10/17/08
On the underside of the barrel, ahead of the forearm, it will be marked with the importers name. Garcia or stoeger. That will give an approximate date. Garcia started in 1972, and Stoeger sometime around 1975. I think. Others probably know more than I.

Originally Posted by btb375
On the underside of the barrel, ahead of the forearm, it will be marked with the importers name. Garcia or stoeger. That will give an approximate date. Garcia started in 1972, and Stoeger sometime around 1975. I think. Others probably know more than I.

Taking action/bbl out of stock, only markings on bbl are:

Top of bbl ahead of action:

SAKO
Cal..243

Left side of bbl:

MADE IN FINLAND

Right side of action, below bolt:

IMPORTED BY STOEGER

Posted By: selmer Re: WTS- SAKO L-579 .243 WIN. - 10/17/08
Good grief, could we quite grousing about this great looking rifle and someone buy it! If I hadn't just got a Ruger .260 this week I might have been in the running for it. This rifle will make someone happy, I've never heard of dissatisfaction with a Sako rifle.
Selmer
Posted By: jobyjob Re: WTS- SAKO L-579 .243 WIN. - 10/17/08
+1 selmer.

This looks like a high quality rifle in a great caliber.

Are you in the market for anything right now Freedumb1, in case I'd have it to trade ya?

Mark

Next question is how much does this rig weigh?
Yeah, from the pic. it looks like a heavy barrel.
With scope, it weighs 8 3/4 lbs.

Taking off a pound for scope, etc.

7 3/4 lbs. or so.

BBl looks medium weight.? Not thin, but no heavy bbl.
Originally Posted by jobyjob
+1 selmer.

This looks like a high quality rifle in a great caliber.

Are you in the market for anything right now Freedumb1, in case I'd have it to trade ya?

Mark

I am trying to thin out my deer rifles. Then last week I picked up a 257 WBY. Since I am building a house the wife suggested I sell a few. First went my 1954 H & R M1 Garand, then my 1903 A3, now my Sako.

Thanks for the thought, but I'm looking to trade for money,

Mitch
Back to the top.
Bump
$660 Shipped, as low as I will go.
TTT
Nice looking rifle. Freedumb1, you are a patient person.
Posted By: Nebraska Re: WTS- SAKO L-579 .243 WIN. - 10/22/08
Nice rifle. Just one question......what team won the World Series the year they added that style of recoil pad to the laminate stock??
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Nice rifle. Just one question......what team won the World Series the year they added that style of recoil pad to the laminate stock??

I'm going with the Pittsburgh Pirates............ wink
TTT
Saturday morning bump.
Originally Posted by Freedumb1
$660 Shipped, as low as I will go.

OR, maybe $650 Shipped.
To the front page.
BUmp
Time to price it to sell !!!

$625 SHIPPED
Posted By: jobyjob Re: WTS- SAKO L-579 .243 WIN. - 10/31/08
I would buy this if I didn't already have 10 too many deer rifles!

This is a LOT of rifle for the money.
$600 shipped
TTT
Posted By: raghorn Re: WTS- SAKO L-579 .243 WIN. - 11/02/08
Why is this stil here?
Posted By: jobyjob Re: WTS- SAKO L-579 .243 WIN. - 11/02/08
+1 raghorn. This is a steal on a high-quality rifle.
Sold Pending Funds.

Looks like this SAKO is headed towards Oklahoma. (Riley007)

Thanks,

Mitch
© 24hourcampfire