Home
Builder�s test target shows factory Weatherby 180gr. Barnes Xs grouped at 0.3�. Hunted about 3 days, otherwise has been a safe queen. Stock is 100%, metal shows about what you�d expect for 3 days in the field, maybe 96%+. There are a few small scratches on the bottom metal. Shot less than 30 rounds. Comes with Tally rings and Leupold Vari X-III 4.5 x 14, with extra stadia by Premiere Reticle calibrated for 350, 450 and 550 yards using 180 Barnes X at about 3,200. Scope has two nicks in the leading edge of the objective bell. See photo. This is my wife�s rifle. The builder, Lex Webernick, installed a �� recoil pad to shorten the LOP to 13-1/4� for Leslie. Lex refused to shorten the butt stock in order that the rifle may be returned to a normal 13.75� LOP with a 1� pad. I have priced the rifle with this in mind. Color is black, both stock and metal and is, of course, stainless. I own its exact twin also in .300 Wby. Don�t need two. Shipped in hard case. $2,150 with scope, $1,900 without scope. Additional photos available.

[Linked Image]
where is oregon are you located?
My office is in Portland and I live in St Helens. Thanks for askin'

I positively love my own Stainless Strata also in .300 WBY. It's one of the few rifles I'm keeping and I hunt it more than any other. Les guarantees his rifles will shoot 3/4 MOA, but this one is freakishly accurate with Barnes X's.

Bump...

That is a steal!!!
It is a steal. I paid a few bucks short of 4 grand for this combination in 2000 or 2001 at the SCI annual convention.

Don't know if I mentioned it, but the scope has two nicks in the leading edge of the aluminum objective bell. I've never had a chance to drive it over to Leupold in Beaverton to see if it might be replaced. On the other hand I'm effectively pricing the scope at $250 and otherwise the scope is as new. How could it not be with 3 hunting days on the rig?

Thanks for the bump, Kodiman. Someone is going to be a very happy hunter.
weight?
I no longer remember and don't have a reliable scale. But I'd bet you $50 it weighs about 6.5 lbs scoped, slung and loaded. It is a mountain rifle. Here is the builder's link:

http://www.riflesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.rifle_lightstrata
Does it have a muzzle brake????
Yes. At a bit over 6lbs, few could stand up to the Weatherby and still grin.
If I didn't just buy a Remington 700 KS custom off here last week I would be the new owner of this rifle. Absolutely great deal here guys.
JohnDeere, I'm pretty sure my emotions are ill-concieved but I'm starting to feel sorry for you as you sell those beautiful Rifles. Merry Christmas, Ken in Corvallis
JohnDeere,

Is the muzzle brake the screw on type so it can have a threaded adapter to replace the brake or is the brake part of the barrel? A better question would probably be, what is the barrel length in case someone didn't want the brake on it? Thanks!
Yes, it's the screw on type. I'm looking at builder Lex Webernick's (Rifles Inc.) supplied Oehler exterior ballistics sheet--the one that shows three factory Weatherby 180 X's landing in a 0.3" group. it says the barrel measures 23". That would be without the brake, so it should be about 25" with the brake. The measured average instrumental velocity with the first screen 9.5' from the muzzle was 3139, or about 3150 fps at the muzzle itself. You will have to decide for yourself if that is fast enough from the tube.

As noted elsewhere, I have the identical rifle also in .300 WBY, also with the same barrel length. The builder supplied exterior ballistics with a 180g Nosler Partition over 86.5 gr of RL 25 show a bit over 3250 fps at the muzzle.

Everyone knows you can't kill anything with a 300 WBY with less than a 26" tube, which is why I'm selling it (grins) I didn't order either one (saw them at the convention and bought them), so this is the length that Lex likes to build that rifle.

Ignoring minor barrel variations, it looks like (as everyone knows) that the old X doesn't squirt out the tube as fast as other hunting bullets.

I remember Lex telling me at the SCI convention when we bought the gun that he didn't bother to test the [rifle that's for sale] with other bullets, since the first group shot in the 0.3's.

Although this rifle has barely seen use I did not settle upon the Weatherby factory ammo that Lex used. On the 90 degree summer day I attempted this the load proved too hot. Different lot? Differnt ambient temperature? Instead, I fed it Noslers. More accurate or not with X's, I simply don't shoot as good a Lex, don't hunt with a 36X target scope and have yet to kill anything in an underground wind tunnel.

I'll take the scope.
Hey Joe. Thanks for expressing interest. If the buyer of the rifle doesn't want the scope I'll hook up with you. Rifle buyer gets first choice on the glass. It cost quite a bit of money to get those extra stadia on this scope and it would be a shame for the buyer not to have the first option.

Cheers,
Never hurts to ask, and I understand. wink
Thanks

PM sent.
PM replied to
SPF
Whew.....
Alas your wife has been cheated of having the chance to be magnanimous in forgiving you...
This was a great deal. JD, do you happen to know where Lex got the bolt shroud? His custom part, or something that can be bought elsewhere? Thanks.
© 24hourcampfire