Home
Posted By: GreatWaputi Scammer on board! - 09/12/10
Do not send a dime to Glassman! He's hacked into someone's PayPal account and it's a scam! Luckily I was able to do a little detective work and figured out the person's PayPal account they've hacked into is actually a member of several boards I'm a member of and he's been burned for several hundred dollars over the past couple of years.

These [bleep] people piss me off and I hope they rot in hell!
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Scammer on board! - 09/12/10
decent of you to let us know GW, thanks
Posted By: HeavyMetal Re: Scammer on board! - 09/12/10
Please do tell the whole story....had a few of these people here last little while......
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Scammer on board! - 09/12/10
I agreed to purchase those Geovids and paid via PayPal and he said he would ship today and provide a tracking number, but didn't. When asked about the tracking number, he said he was out of town and would send it when he got back. This and a couple other things raised red flags, so I logged into PayPal and checked his profile and there are two different emails tied to the account, which struck me as odd.

I Googled both emails and didn't receive any hits on one ([email protected]), but the second brought up some old posts from a member of a couple other sites I belong to (which was damn lucky for me!). I sent him a PM through one of the other sites asking if he still used that email and if he had any idea who the seller might be and what was going on. Didn't take very long for him to see the PM and respond and he said he hadn't used that email for several years because it was tied to PayPal and his PayPal account had previously been hacked and he was soaked for upwards of $600.00. We made phone contact and I explained what had happened and what I suspected was up and he logged into his old PayPal account (which he has been fighting with PayPal to close!), and sure as [bleep], there was my payment, which he promptly refunded.

I don't know how it all works, but apparently these [bleep] scam artists have figured out a way to file a complaint for non-payment or non-delivery of goods through PayPal and are able to get money pulled from legitimate people's accounts. This [bleep] even signed his PM's using the other guy's wife's first name and is also using her maiden last name!

Karma's a bitch and this [bleep] will get his in the end!
Posted By: HeavyMetal Re: Scammer on board! - 09/12/10
thanks to the world wide web...he or they could be any where in the world.Hard to catch up with,,Thanks for posting and watching out for the rest of us.
Posted By: ppcshooter Re: Scammer on board! - 09/12/10
Good for you GW !!!!!
Damn shame we can't do more to lock these bastards up.
Posted By: GOFASTER Re: Scammer on board! - 09/12/10
Thats odd he has been a member for days now
Posted By: DEER_ASSASSIN Re: Scammer on board! - 09/12/10
dang it
Posted By: Mauseraction Re: Scammer on board! - 09/12/10
we should have seen the red flags in his profile:
Hobbies-" Being Republican"
I been [bleep] over by a few republicanss here lately
especially George junior and that stupid senator from Arizona
Thanks for the warning
Posted By: slg888 Re: Scammer on board! - 09/12/10
GreatWaputi & Coldbore both deserve a beer because they have investigated and busted 2 scumbags on campfire trying to [bleep] somebody just in the last few month's.

I even replied to the post and also remember thinking....hummmm, scary buying from a guy with only 10 post.
Posted By: firearms44 Re: Scammer on board! - 09/12/10
"scary buying from a guy with only 10 post".

We all started at #1 and shouldn't discrimmanate against all newbies. it's good that we stick together and keep each other alerted to possible scammers. I purchased from 2 newbie members who were good guys.

Ken
Posted By: slg888 Re: Scammer on board! - 09/12/10
Originally Posted by firearms44
We all started at #1 and shouldn't discrimmanate against all newbies.
Maybe so, but damn sure be more careful! Most of the problems around here is usually someone with less than 50 post.

Didn't you recently buy from me Firearms44 and I shipped the package before payment? High post count brings trust.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Scammer on board! - 09/12/10
Good deal.

I will never use Paypal, there is nothing I need that bad.

And I agree on the post number/newbie thing, but I'm all for someone else dipping their toe first. Just as I won't let a chick drive my truck on the first I'll not send $500 to someone I have 'no history' with. YMMV
Posted By: firearms44 Re: Scammer on board! - 09/12/10
slg888,

Yes you did ship before you received the funds. They crossed paths in the mail. You also stated " A personal check is fine from a 1900 poster". Which also showed your trust in me. I'm just saying that we all started with the #1 and yes use caution.

Ken
Posted By: deerhunter5555 Re: Scammer on board! - 09/12/10
glassman is ignored...thanks for the heads up!
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Scammer on board! - 09/12/10
Originally Posted by glassman
For sale is a new in box set of Leica Geovids. Not HD, 8X42 in Yards. I bought them last year when they were on sale so I got a pretty good deal. After I bought them I took them out of the box and put the battery in, went outside for a veiwing session and that is all the use they have seen. Absolutely new. I think my total cost after rebate and everything was $1250. I will pass on the savings to someone that is interested. Below is a link to check the specs if you need to. Shipped for $1150. Paypal( I will cover the 3 percent) or face to face cash deal in/near Sacramento. I would prefer a face to face but first come first serve.
Looking to sell as I have some bills to pay.
PM if interested.

http://www.binocularsbestbuy.com/Leica-Geovid-8x42-BRF-Yards-Laser-Rangefinder-Binoculars-40028.html

Few people do more on the free classifieds than I do, but being able to recognize a potential scam such as this "Too good to be true" ad, I passed. His initial posting was only with a total post number of 4 or 5...not a good sign.

Parasites like this need to be found and bludgeoned. If anyone can find where he lives, I will participate in any travel necessary to find him and give him a "Redneck" sleeping bag party.
Posted By: Fotis Re: Scammer on board! - 09/12/10
Blanket party!
Posted By: coltchris Re: Scammer on board! - 09/12/10
Ignored also; Thanks GW.
Posted By: keith Re: Scammer on board! - 09/12/10
Every town needs a hanging tree to execute these bastards from with a sign around their necks.

I say bring back public executions, I'll have a hot dog wagon near by.
Posted By: OSUCowboy27 Re: Scammer on board! - 09/12/10
Gl-assman is ignored by me. Thanks for the heads up. Maybe we need a Badguy list.
Posted By: red_alder_ranch Re: Scammer on board! - 09/12/10
Relating to another facet of this kind of scam, do NOT log in to your paypal account (or ebay, or facebook, or anything else...) EVER by way of a link that comes in an email. That is no doubt how this scammer was able to get into anyone else's paypal accounts in the first place.

yuk.
Posted By: HeavyRevy Re: Scammer on board! - 09/12/10
Please do not condemn all of us with a small number of posts that use paypal. When you live is a small town in Iowa and your local small town bank closes at noon everyday and you work full time 15 miles the other direction it is the easiest and most convenient way to do business. I have bought a number of items here and other posts without a hitch but I've never been shy about letting a seller know who I am and where I'm located. People that intentially scam should be procecuted to the full extent of the law!
Posted By: Huntz Re: Scammer on board! - 09/12/10
Thanks for the heads up!!!
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Scammer on board! - 09/12/10
I was damn lucky the second email actually tied to a trusted member on those other boards; otherwise, I would've been screwed with a capital F!

Still kicking myself in the @$$ because I should've known better!

Posted By: Whiptail Re: Scammer on board! - 09/12/10
My paypal account was hacked this last Monday. I got 5 emails within about 5 minutes from paypal all in Chinese. The person changed the language, added an email address, sent $15 to himself or somebody else, paypal detected the intrusion and locked my account, and then the $15 was refunded. Google translator helped me read the emails and I figued out how to change the language back and changed my password. I called paypal within an hour and they put me on hold for over an hour and never answered. I called them on Thursday and got somebody helpful who fixed everything. I believe they got my password through a virus my girlfriend put on my computer that her sister's hacked email sent her. I put some stuff up for sale on ebay which had the same password as my paypal account and they got it from that. Fortunately I rarely use that computer to check my email which had a different password which prevented them from taking complete control over the account. Needless to say it scared the crap out of me! Paypal is not a FDIC bank and they can "lock" your account indefinitely but in the end it was just a big hassle.
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Scammer on board! - 09/12/10
I am big on check or money order transactions. odds are good if they cash the mo/check, they are on camera somewhere. so far I have not had any troubles and made some great contacts here...sorry about your luck.

x2 on the BAD GUY list
Posted By: HWY5076 Re: Scammer on board! - 09/12/10
thanks for the heads up guys...will be watching my account alot closer from now on!!! and will also put on the ignore list.
Posted By: RRA223 Re: Scammer on board! - 09/12/10
Well done GW,

Thanks
Posted By: rong Re: Scammer on board! - 09/13/10
its best to be cautious,but not all low posters are scammers
Posted By: 16bore Re: Scammer on board! - 09/13/10
I just sucked all the money out of my PayPal account. [bleep] that nonsense. After reading this, I've got a low poster that hasn't sent funds yet and a friggin Ebay biatch that says she hasn't received a book yet, after 15 days. For some reason, her Ebay account is closed now. WTF.
Posted By: ROMAC Re: Scammer on board! - 09/13/10
I use USPS money orders exclusively when buying on the net. Scamming with a money order purchase with a firearm is a Federal offense X's 2.

Posted By: oldtimer303 Re: Scammer on board! - 09/13/10
frown Stated previously by me. Paypal sucks & its momma E-bay double sucks. grin GW
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Scammer on board! - 09/13/10
Saw that assman uses a g-mail email addy, too...

This is always a clue. smirk
Posted By: rrogers Re: Scammer on board! - 09/13/10
ignored. thank you GW!!!!
Posted By: wareagle Re: Scammer on board! - 09/13/10
Why don't we all send him a pm telling him what we think .
I'm going to. Stir the pot dammit.......
Send A message we don't put up with this [bleep].
Posted By: cumminscowboy Re: Scammer on board! - 09/13/10
doesn't paypal have some type of insurance for this sort of thing, what if you had paid with a credit card through pay pal, can you dispute the charges with your credit card company??
Posted By: speedsixman Re: Scammer on board! - 09/13/10
Forget getting any satisfaction out of Ripoffpal! They will be little or no help.
You can dispute the charges through your bank, though.

Myron
Posted By: Tracks Re: Scammer on board! - 09/13/10
Originally Posted by firearms44

We all started at #1 and shouldn't discrimmanate against all newbies. it's good that we stick together and keep each other alerted to possible scammers. I purchased from 2 newbie members who were good guys.

Ken

A good way to build up a post count is to take an active part in board discussions and let us get to know you a bit. Hanging out only in the classified does not necessarly build confidence.
I haven't checked your posts so maybe you do that.
I like to deal with people I feel I know something about, and I can get a feel for them during discussions
Posted By: Gasman Re: Scammer on board! - 09/13/10
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Do not send a dime to Glassman! He's hacked into someone's PayPal account and it's a scam!

Please do not confuse this guy with Gasman!

smile
Posted By: slg888 Re: Scammer on board! - 09/13/10
Originally Posted by Tracks
A good way to build up a post count is to take an active part in board discussions and let us get to know you a bit. Hanging out only in the classified does not necessarly build confidence.I haven't checked your posts so maybe you do that.I like to deal with people I feel I know something about, and I can get a feel for them during discussions
Exactly!

Member's that use this site for there "Ebay, have a hard time understanding what you just said.

Posted By: bluefin1 Re: Scammer on board! - 09/13/10
Originally Posted by Mauseraction
Thanks for the warning

Spoken by someone with a whopping 19 comments.
I'm sure the other 18 were equal of value.

GW, thanks for the heads up. It always amazes me how some people only see others as targets of opportunity. And you're right, he'll get his one day.
Posted By: slg888 Re: Scammer on board! - 09/13/10
Thanks for the warning
WTF?
Posted By: Lunarphase Re: Scammer on board! - 09/13/10
Originally Posted by slg888
Thanks for the warning
WTF?

Yup, time to put the wanker Mauseraction on the ignore list as well.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Scammer on board! - 09/13/10
One thing I've done is to check their posts and look for sales transactions. I PM the seller or buyer and see if everything was kosher.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Scammer on board! - 09/14/10
BTT
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Scammer on board! - 09/14/10
I travel a lot for business so I rely on a Gmail address since my home email server cannot be accessed remotely (sucks to belong to a small telephone company!)

What I'm saying is, just because it's Gmail, doesn't mean you should consider them a bad guy.

Thanks for the heads up on Glassman & the scam!

Ed
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Scammer on board! - 09/14/10
Nice detective work GW. You've done us a great service exposing this POS.
Posted By: ursus148 Re: Scammer on board! - 09/14/10
GreatWapiti PM sent your way
Posted By: wareagle Re: Scammer on board! - 09/14/10
Originally Posted by Lunarphase
Originally Posted by slg888
Thanks for the warning
WTF?

Yup, time to put the wanker Mauseraction on the ignore list as well.

10 [bleep] 4
I'm republican every day.
Hell is there any other party?
Posted By: BossLady Re: Scammer on board! - 09/14/10
as we have done thousands of transactions on Gunbroker, Guns America and Ebay and perhaps 70% have been through PayPal and have NEVER had any fraud issues, I find it amazing to see all these "problems". Since you can pick up the phone and talk to a real person at both PayPal and Ebay, I don't understand why you can't get it fixed. As on claims on non delivery, all USPS labels purchased on PayPal have delivery confirmation so you can track it and BOTH PayPal and Ebay will accept the USPS's delivery confirmation information.
Don't try and sell banned items using PayPal or you will get in trouble. If you have any doubts about purchasing an expensive item, do not open it at home, take it back to the P.O. and demand to see a supervisor and open it with them. That will cure the most common scam: "the empty box scam".
© 24hourcampfire