Home
Is FEDEX next day the only game in town?
I think UPS air also. Best thing to do IMHO is to take it to an FFL and have him send it off.
Pretty soon this thread will draw a fellow named Bricktop much like the smell of carrion draws vultures.

Ignore the gratuitous "you are a $%&*" and a *&#$*%$ and a stupid %^&*#%!" and any other insults and just concentrate on the information contained in the post. It will save you money.
Just to be safe, let me clarify.

I WILL NOT SHIP TO KALIFORNIA!
[Linked Image]

The call has been put out. Soon he'll swoop in to save the day and, "Be Up in yo' gree-ill".... grin
Bricktop.........

To the BatCave!!!!

Too effin funny. cry cry
Originally Posted by FOsteology
[Linked Image]

TFF!!!!! And he did ask for a Batsignal last time, too... grin
Now that is just funny - don't care who you are.
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Is FEDEX next day the only game in town?
Not no, but F*CK NO. There is NO law ANYWHERE requiring you to ship a handgun "next day." That's the policy of two chickensh*t companies. Provided you're not as stupid as they think the average gun owner is and openly declare you're shipping a firearm, you may ship via Federal Express or UPS any way your little heart desires.

This is the standard boiler plate citation of the '68 GCA I am now offering in these threads:

The law only requires declaration to UPS or Federal Express (i.e., "contract carriers") if the recipient is NOT an FFL holder. The BATFE's website miquotes this, though their legal department will provide you a letter on official letterhead stating as such.

"� 922 Unlawful acts.

(e)
It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter. No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm."

"� 478.31 Delivery by common or contract carrier.

(a)
No person shall knowingly deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped:

Provided, that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of that trip without violating any provision of this part.

(b) No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container indicating that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm."

http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf

Simply stated, it says this:

"It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered...to persons other than...licensed dealers...any package...in which there is any firearm...without written notice to the carrier that such firearm...is being...shipped..."

You would be required to give notice if you were a gunsmith or manufacturer returning a firearm after repair. (Among other scenarios.) The BATFE's legal department will provide a binding legal determination stating as such if you request it in writing.

I try and balance UPS' or Federal Express' service types against my needs; if I'm shipping a Glock 17, Ruger SR9 or anything else reasonably easy to replace, I'll go regular ground. I'm in compliance with the '68 GCA and the costs are reasonable. On the other hand, if I'm shipping a high-ticket item like a Colt SAA, S&W Triple Lock, etc., then I want it OUT of the shipper's system ASAP. It would be tough to replace one of those items in the event of an insured loss.

Do yourself a favor -- A BIG FAVOR -- and sign up online for a UPS or Federal Express account. It's free and allows you to print and pay for shipping labels for anything you want to ship. No one asks what you're shipping and it's as painless as can be. Weigh your packages on the bathroom scale if necessary. (Reasonably decent postal scales can be had for under $50 at most office supply places as well.)

They -- UPS or Federal Express -- will supply their account holders with free supplies, including shipping labels upon request. It'll be the most worthwhile 15 minutes you've spent in quite some time signing up for an account.

CLICK D LINK

CLIQUE LE LINQUE

Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Just to be safe, let me clarify.

I WILL NOT SHIP TO KALIFORNIA!
Why is that? You afraid they might turn you gay or something? Christ, don't play into the anti-gunners' hands. Flood that piece-of-sh*t state with all the legal guns you can. That pretty well proves all of their chickensh*t efforts to ban guns won't stop the legal interstate sale or transfer by law-abiding citizens. California dollars spend just like other dollars.
Originally Posted by theduke308
I think UPS air also. Best thing to do IMHO is to take it to an FFL and have him send it off.
Ignore the stupid f*cking advice offered by this piker. I have no idea why someone with as little to offer as this even bothers posting.
Characteristically succinct and spot-on, albeit just a tad abrasive and confrontational. grin
My usual response to this question is:

Beware of difficulty is collecting damages when undeclared firearm is shipped ground freight with UPS/Fedex.

Bricktop will then respond as to my post/myself being stupid or whatever, and saying I cannot state a single instance of that being true.

My comment stands, and I do not discuss my personal business on the net.
Originally Posted by bobelk99
My usual response to this question is:

Beware of difficulty is collecting damages when undeclared firearm is shipped ground freight with UPS/Fedex.

Bricktop will then respond as to my post/myself being stupid or whatever, and saying I cannot state a single instance of that being true.

My comment stands, and I do not discuss my personal business on the net.
For the STABLE ADULTS in the thread -- this would exclude YOU, in particular, bobelk99, UPS or Federal Express are just as likely to deny your claim because it's almost Saturday, or because it's February, or because this is an odd-numbered year, or because you like Coke and they like Pepsi, etc. That's why many manufacturers and larger gunsmithing concerns are self-insured. (Additional third party insurance is available independent of UPS or Federal Express.) This is well-known to experienced shippers -- this would also exclude YOU, bobelk99. Yet again, you offer nothing of any substance or worth to the discussion.

If you had any specific experience or examples, you'd have ponied up a long damned time ago when you had the opportunity. Or even now. But you didn't and you don't and that says all we need to know about your lack of credibility.
No where else can we get lite entertainment this cheap. sick
[Linked Image]

The call has been put out. Soon he'll swoop in to save the day and, "Be Up in yo' gree-ill".... grin

LOVE it! And Bricktop is spot on BTW.

Travis
Originally Posted by bobelk99
No where else can we get lite entertainment this cheap. sick
Anytime you want to offer a relevant experience, feel free to do so. How many times have you actually shipped a firearm? Once? Or is this one of those bullshit urban legends that gets passed around when you and your pals are playing shuffle board and foosball, therefore it's just GOTTA be true? Christ, give me a break.
[Linked Image]

Thats awesome!!!
a serious question if you please as i am about to sell a handgun over the web:

does the handgun have to go from ffl to ffl?

or

can it go from an individual to an ffl?

thanks
I just had one shipped to my ffl from an individial. They shipped it fedex second day air.
It can go from individual to FFL.

You cannot mail it USPS unless you're an FFL though.
ranchhand & nsaqam - thanks for the info. it is always refreshing to get good info from experienced folks.

one final question - do i tell fedex it is a handgun, or not?

thanks
Two weeks ago I shipped a S&W revolver that I sold to a Campfire member. I had never shipped a handgun before, so I am by no means an expert, but here is what worked for me. I shipped it out of state via UPS three day for about $20.00. I did advise the shipping clerk that it was a handgun. They checked to make sure that it was unloaded and off it went, no hassles. It arrived safe and sound to the buyer's FFL dealer two days later. Worked fine for me.
thanks bend. have a good one.
Originally Posted by hotsoup
a serious question if you please as i am about to sell a handgun over the web:

does the handgun have to go from ffl to ffl?

or

can it go from an individual to an ffl?

thanks
You do realize that there was a link to the BATFE's firearms regulation, don't you? You really need to consider reading that before asking questions that've ALREADY been answered.

Originally Posted by hotsoup
one final question - do i tell fedex it is a handgun, or not?

thanks
Go back and read what I posted earlier. And not that bullshit Bend_Shooter posted either.
I shipped a rifle yesterday at UPS. I ask about shipping handguns for future reference. This is what I was told. Handguns can be shipped from individual to FFL but you must show them a copy of the signed FFL where you are shipping (good idea to keep this in permanent records). Handguns must be shipped next day, other firearms can be shipped regular ground. I am sure you will get different answers at different UPS locations but that's the adventure of shipping. Hope this helps.
Originally Posted by Ackleyman
Handguns can be shipped from individual to FFL but you must show them a copy of the signed FFL where you are shipping (good idea to keep this in permanent records).
Not f*cking true by a LONG shot. Please don't post BULLSHIT as fact. Thanks.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Question - Shipping a Handgun - 02/05/11
Just took BT off my ignore list...tired of toggling smile This [bleep] too rich to miss grin

Givem Hell BT!
a ffl to ffl transaction a handgun can go by usps and is by far the cheapest. a individual can ship a handgun thru ups to a ffl holder. I do not know about fed-ex but i would imagine it is the same. that being said I hold a curio and relic license and can not use usps for shipment of handguns against postal regulations.
I have shipped several firearms with UPS. UPS has always asked me to declare what is being shipped. My experience has been the same as Ackleyman. I do show them a copy of the FFL. I am not an FFL holder. The only complication that I have with UPS is that I must take firearms to the UPS "Hub" in my city. The UPS "Store" near my home will not ship guns. UPS customer service has always been very polite and helpful.

ps: We have fun here but 24 Hour has always been a forum for gentlemen.
Originally Posted by webfoot56
a individual can ship a handgun thru ups to a ffl holder. I do not know about fed-ex but i would imagine it is the same.
You're not much of a "reader," are you? Go back and read this discussion from the beginning. And not just the parts you like, savvy?
Originally Posted by gregory
I have shipped several firearms with UPS. UPS has always asked me to declare what is being shipped. My experience has been the same as Ackleyman. I do show them a copy of the FFL.
IF YOU SIGN UP FOR AN ONLINE ACCOUNT, YOU CAN PRINT OUT YOUR LABELS AND NO ONE WILL ASK YOU TO DECLARE ANYTHING. YOU ARE ALSO NOT COMPELLED BY ANY LEGAL AUTHORITY TO TELL UPS ANYTHING.

Originally Posted by gregory
ps: We have fun here but 24 Hour has always been a forum for gentlemen.
And this gentleman is telling you to PULL YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ASS.
Brick top you are a social butterfly
Bricktop is 100% correct!
I took Bricktops advice and opened up a UPS account on-line. I ship ammo all the time without marking the box "Small Arms Cartrifges". Just weight the package, print the label and ship it off. For a long gun it's pretty easy for UPS to know what's in the box. I talk to my UPS driver all the time and he knows what I ship and he knows what he delivers to me. Never a problem except when an FFL Dealer requires to receive from another FFL Dealer. I can't change that when the FFL dealer is in another state to receive said firearm for transfer.

Ken
© 24hourcampfire