Home
I know it may be a long shot, but I thought I'd take a stab at it before I build one.

I'd like to find a .223 in a good stock, twisted right for heavies. 223AI would be better. Prefer stainless.

Don't want another T3 - have one, but would take a Montana .223 on the long shot someone wants to part with one.

Most likely - looking for a build someone wants to part with - M700 in a Mickey with a good barrel is probably what I'll build if I can't find something used.

Would also consider barreled actions.

Thanks, Gents.

DJ
If you don't have dies yet, I'd be sniffing hard for them. And even harder if you're looking for 223AI. Seems the preppers are reloading now......
Got .223 Dies, but no .223AI...

Something else to add to the list...grin.

Thanks,

DJ
DrDeath has something similar for sale.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth.../1/Remington_700_custom_with_scop#UNREAD
Thanks. Checked with him on it, nice rifle, but not twisted for what I'd like to do.

Still looking.

DJ
Check with Mickey Coleman. He has my Howa 223AI, 8 twist that he built for me. I went another route (Rem 700) that he also built for me. Couldn't cuss the Howa, it shot VERY well. Groups in the 0.2-.03's with V-Max's.
Thanks. I'll drop him a line.

DJ
Still looking...

Thanks,

DJ
Evening bump.

DJ
TTT
Are you looking for a light weight, hunting rig, or a truck axel .223ai?
Originally Posted by SuperSeal110
Are you looking for a light weight, hunting rig, or a truck axel .223ai?

...said the man who has them all to offer grin
More of a lightweight hunting rig, although not going to extremes to keep it light.

I'd consider something from Montana weight up to a chunk, but would stop short of truck axle territory.

If I was building, I'd be thinking model 700, standard fill MCMILLAN Classic, with a Sporter barrel contour (give or take a little), at 24 inches or less.

I'm open to suggestions on the build from you pros!

DJ
Change it to 22 inches or less and you're perfect for a sporter weight build...several options on the stock - Mt Rifle, Compact, McMillan Hunter, etc - depending on what you like.
Agree on that. Around 22" is about as long as I like a barrel unless the package dictates leaving one a little longer for balance, but I think that would be just about perfect.

I wished I'd owned/could handle a bunch more McMillans. I've just had a few. I like the Mountain Rifle, although I'd guess any more than a Sporter might overwhelm the barrel channel. I've got a Sako Classic Edge I like, but it's on a Sako & that's where I like it. I had a McMillan Sporter that was OK for a lot and pretty handy overall. I like the Classic pretty well, especially on a Remmy build.

I haven't had or handled a Compact or Hunter...

DJ
Interest in a .223 LVSF? If so...send me a PM, or if you look at my post it was on classified a month or so back. We can talk if you have an interest.
BT T
From poor boy thinking hard on same idea

Thanks to the 'rat rifle' build by nimrod1949

Burt2506

Originally Posted by 257wthbylover
Interest in a .223 LVSF? If so...send me a PM, or if you look at my post it was on classified a month or so back. We can talk if you have an interest.

Appreciate the offer, but I'm trying to find something twisted for heavies.

DJ
Originally Posted by burt2506
BT T
From poor boy thinking hard on same idea

Thanks to the 'rat rifle' build by nimrod1949

Burt2506

That is a nifty build...

Still lookin'...

DJ
TTT...
Bump.
what does AI mean