Home
Living near the mountains in central VA, I've never had a need for a rifle like this, but am moving out to WY and eager for a new toy.

I've got plenty of 30 cal and larger and so am going with the idea of finding something on the smaller end of the spectrum. I've always wanted to fool with a 240 or 257Wby but will consider a 6.5 or .280. Part of my rationale for one of the Wbys is factory ammo. I reload and like to play with oddball stuff, but it would be nice to be able to fall back on factory ammo in a pinch especially as I might not be moving my reloading stuff out before fall.

Everything I own is blued steel and walnut so this one is going to be in a McMillan and stainless (at least the barrel). I'm leaning toward a lighter walking rifle as opposed to a heavier long-range set up.

I'd like to see a proven shooter and hopefully find something with dies, components and with load development already done as time is going to be in awfully short supply for me.

Please let me know what you've got.

Thanks!

buy you a savage in 25-06 and call it done
Congrats on the upcoming move!
How much do you want to spend? There's an original Remington Ti on GB that's sitting in a McMillan Edge stock, chambered in 7-08. I have no affiliation with the rifle and it will certainly go for a premium, but it would make a nice walking rifle for chasing antelope.
Bill, 257 Wby is the way to go!!

Eric
I just picked up a 240 Weatherby Mag to be my new Antelope rifle but I see that the NEW Weatherby Back Country's in 257 WM has hit the market weight is 6.75 lb and street $ around $1200..
The new Vanguard is tough to beat in my mind. Adjustable trigger, shoots under an inch and has a good feel stock. You can buy the gun in .240 Weatherby and .257 Weatherby. I have a custom .240, but I just bought the .257 a few months ago for $499. I have not fired it yet.
I would get a 25-06 Rem. Great caliber with several bullet options. Good shooting
25-06. You pick make and model.
264 Win mag. ....it's windy in Wyoming where the Antelope live
Originally Posted by fredhorace77

Wyoming banned bolt action savages. Everyone else was banning guns so we just decided to ban savage 110s. The abolt is on the list too.
Originally Posted by Ralphie

Wyoming banned bolt action savages. Everyone else was banning guns so we just decided to ban savage 110s. The abolt is on the list too.

Now that's funny!

Well played -
Originally Posted by wapiti22
264 Win mag. ....it's windy in Wyoming where the Antelope live

Yea, what he said!
Sh*t, I knew this was going to spark some discussion! But, I'm all ears on this one from the guys who hunt them. I figure it'll probably come down to the individual rifle over the caliber.

Probably be better off dropping $$$ on good glass than the rifle; just like I'd rather have a dog with a few thousand dollar nose and $200 shotgun than the other way around.

That said, I've got a good budget set aside.
Forgot to say that I'm going to be in Casper and I imagine will be doing most of my hunting around that part of the state if it makes a difference.
Well since I am from VA and have hunted antelope in WY, my 2 cents worth says 7mm STW - good for anything that walks in WY and put 2 antelope and a few mulies on my wall!
I would not want to fall back on overpriced Wea. ammo. Brass is also ridiculous. Take the advice and get the 25-06 and don't look back. Good to shoot, ammo is reasonable and it's easy to load for.
I hear you on the Wby ammo being high, but I can't imagine needing more than a box or two tops 'til I get squared away.

What're you WY guys seeing in the local stores as far as factory stuff? I was in a Walmart in Casper and saw some 30-06 and 7mm, not much else.

Another thought I had was trying to find an old XP-100 in 7mm BR, especially if I get away from needing to shoot OTC ammo. Light, easy to pack and as accurate as any rifle needs to be. Any of you guys hunt those?
You can buy factory .257 Roy for 35-40.00 bucks a box, which still isn't cheap but makes more sense buying it than buying empty brass.

So buy 3-4 boxes of it and you'll have enough brass.

I have a .257 SPS I might (doubtful, but might) consider parting with?

.257 Weatherby and Antelope rifle just sound right.
There is a nice Ruger #1 in 7 mm Mag for sale here on the classifieds.
25/06 is pretty hard to beat. I killed my only antelope at 300 yards with one shot, a 52 grain HP from a 223 Browning BLR. Not what you call the ideal goat gun, but I wanted to use it dog gone it. I bet you already own an antelope gun, or three.
I'd build a .243.
Ive never had the oppertunity to hunt in Wyoming but I have worked there several times.
There is no shortage of antelope in that beautiful state.
If I were a young man starting over I think I would move there myself.
Im not gonna say anything about the rifle you get, but any that were mentioned will probly work.
Congrats on the move to that state.
Bring you Long Johns.
You dont really need those big ol' centerfire scopesighted loudenboomin supermanglems. grin

[Linked Image]

Welcome to Casper.

[Linked Image]
Well, before I knew any better, I whacked a ton of antelope witha lever action .30-30 that my dad started me off with. When I reached 16, I bought by my first rifle and it was a Savage 99 in .308. It worked well too. I have used my .30-06 for a handfull of Wyomings speed goats as well as my 7.82 Patriot, which has been by favorite for the last few years.

What it boils down to is what kind of shooting makes you happy? You can kill an antelope with about anything. If you like to make the stalk and get sneaky with them, any rifle you can easily carry will work. If you want to sit on a hill, dope the wind, and reach out and touch one, then the .240 or .264 would be tough to beat.
I like to shoot open sights in the woods, but have killed a few deer over pretty big soy bean fields. My favorite rifle is a .450 3.25" black powder express double rifle that I'm shooting 300gr pistol bullets in over 51gr of 4198.

My Dad didn't think much of cartridges under .270 for deer so I grew up with a 30-06 mostly after getting my first centerfire rifle (a 7-08) when I was a kid. I guess for those reasons I've wanted to play with a 240 or 257 a long time.

Truthfully, looking around WY I'm going to be doing a lot of stuff outdoors besides chasing antelope. My visit already has me and my gf thinking about snow shoeing, skiing, more bird hunting, more fly fishing...

Here are a couple crummy pics from Mt Casper, and the North Platte along the Grey Reef section. We're blessed to be making this journey to such a beautiful place
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Ralphie

Good one!!! Frankly, Savage should be banned based on appearance alone!
My sons & I have taken a couple dozen speed goats with everything from .243-300 ultra mags. My 2cents worth, go with one of the 2 calibers that you stated to begin with. You will probably get the most enjoyment out of those. If I had to choose one rifle only, I would go with a 25-06. Have fun chasing them. Marvin
JMHO, I really love the .260 rem in a 120. Light rifle, low recoil and accurate. But, the 25-06 would suit you well. Cheap ammo and easy to find. I also always wanted a .257 bee. until I really looked at what the gains were. Price of ammo and availability. Besides hard to beat the BC of the .264 bullets... The last few years I started hunting with smaller calibers also. And have come to figure out that deer drop just as easy with a 25-06, .260, .270, .270wsm, 7mm, .300wm. But with the .260 you have a very light easy shooting accurate rifle. Lopes are most likely the same. JMHO........ But, if I were to get a Weatherby it would be a .257.
In 1980 I got my wife a used Remington 722 in .257 Roberts, she has killed I dont know how many pronghorns and several deer with it. Nice light cartridge, no recoil to speak of, can be loaded just about any way you want it.
I know it's not specifically what you're looking for, but that Winchester 300 WSM in the classifieds with the Edge stock is worth a look. It would cover every animal you'd hunt in Wyoming.
Dont overlook the 270WSM in a Tikka T3 Lite. Light weight and all the horse power you need for those speed goats.
love my 260 cooper 54, you could get one w a synthetic stock. light, accurate, fast enough, reload or factory loads
Thanks guys-you've given me a lot of options to think through. I don't remember the last new rifle I bought. I'll keep an eye out on the classifieds and wait for something to pop up. I've gotten a couple of PMs with nice offers, but nothing that grabs me.

8SNAKE, I saw that 300WSM last night and agree that it's a great buy and set up, but just have too many 30 cal rifles...

25-06 is your Huckleberry! powdr
I've got a Browning xbolt stainless stalker in 25-06 I might part with. In great condition with around 80 rounds fired. The gun is a good shooter and I have a load worked up for it. Also have a kimber Montana in 270wsm if that strikes your fancy better. The Kimber has fired about 40 rounds, is in excellent condition, and will shoot sub moa with factory ammo. Send me a pm if interested.
Since no one's mentioned it, I need to stick up for the 6.5x55 or 6.5x284. I've killed antelope, mule deer and elk with both. I like the 6.5 over the 25 cal because you can get heavier bullets yet still be quite flat shooting..
Yet in the end, this is like asking people what is better; Ford, Chevy or Toyota...Everyone will have an opinion. You just need to find one that fits you and you can shoot well. I know people that shoot and quickly kill antelope with a 22-250...
Here is what I would suggest, try the rifle before you buy it if you can. It's great to get a ton of suggestions and to think you want something. The proof is in the pudding. I really thought I wanted a Gen 4 Glock 17 UNTIL I shot it. Maybe there are some guys in the area that would let you try their rifle. Good Luck.

TJ
I went out to Wyoming last year for my first antelope hunt a little north of Casper. I had my first custom gun built in a 280ai shotin a 120gr bt and it did awesome out there. I brought it back to Missouri and shot 2 deer with awesome results. Good luck on your gun choice.
If the BC on the new Accubond LR bullets hold, a 270 Weatherby or WSM might be the ticket. 150 gr .625 could be wishful thinking, but running around 3000 fps would get ugly...

Get it hooked up then Bax and I will come out and you can show us how it works!!!
i moved from okla. to wyoming 13 years ago. i have a winchester model 70 classic sporter 25 06 for sale with complete reloading equip (dies, bullets, brass, etc.) and my pet load info. for $825 shipped. it is blued and walnut but out here it doesn't rain enough where the antelope play for a stainless steel barrel to be necessary. this rifle/bullet combination is capable of killing any deer/antelope ever born (i've done it). last year i shot a prairie dog with it at 450 lazered yards with the 1st shot
Sounds like you need a 6-06. Nearly 240 'Bee speed with way cheaper brass.

Only because it is my latest obsession...

25-35 in a lever would be fun. Plus an old lever and Wyoming are "like peas and carrots Jennnnyyyy" said a la Forrest Gump
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
This would probably make a great antelope rifle. FN Mauser,26" barrel,etc.Not sure what to do with it yet.
25-06.

I have one I'd think about parting with. Flaig's Custom on a FN action 25-06. Very nice thumbhole stock, fiddleback all the way through. Heavy Douglas barrel @ 26"

Shoots everything in an inch or less, has a short throat. Sako? (marked "Finland") trigger, very light and crisp. PM if interested for pics and i can think about a price. It's in excellent shape. It appeared unfired when I bought it as the blueing on the bolt had absolutely 0 wear.
I moved to Denver from Miami and have taken 5 goats with my .257 Roy with 100 gr bullets... Wby factory Spire points... All 1 shot drops... It is a great Antelope round... I just got a .264 wm to start playing with... And the 25.06 is great too... Don't rule out the .250 Savage round either!!!

Good luck, and Welcome to the West!!! smile Paul
If your main use is for antelopes at distance with wind I would go with a .257 Weatherby or a .270 WSM. If you like wildcats a 6.5X284 would be hard to beat.
Don't really need anything special for antelope.

Casper has a Sportsman's Warehouse. Plenty to choose from there, once the dummycrats get their azzes handed to them at the fed level. We're not so well off down here in eastern Kalifornia.
Guys, thanks for the advice. You all have given me a good idea of what calibers I should be looking at.
I'll report back this fall with some pics hopefully!

If you want to avoid strange calibers and have something good for antelope and deer, go with the 270. Ammo at every crossroads store out there too.

It just happens I have a Remington 700 Classic in 270 that is in excellent condition and very accurtate I would sell. PM me if you want pictures of rifle and targets shot with it and to talk about buying it.
Good luck with the move Bill.

Don
© 24hourcampfire