Home
my uncle, a factory worker, first procured (purchased), a pre-64 win 30=30. to connect with a horned beast was good. later, a day or two allowed for a hornless individual to be taken.

for me, later in the 70's, a '06 remmy seemed to be the answer, given the changes in the environment.

my first doe (female, etc.), was kilt with a model marlin, 1894, 44 mag. yes, it worked, but she was pretty small.

anyways, nowadays, why hunt deer if all if one has no hope of having a big horned male in one's sights?

meat hunting, given the price/cost of ground round beef is just not worth the effort, is it? i mean, given the license fee, lease fee, gun cost, ammo cost, clothing cost.

what is the economics of hunting big game leading us to? anyone know for sure?
I bet 99% of hunters on this site don't hunt for economics. EDIT: should add solely for economics.

Also, why is this posted in the classifieds?
Originally Posted by TexasTBag
I bet 99% of hunters on this site don't hunt for economics. EDIT: should add solely for economics.

Also, why is this posted in the classifieds?

Maybe he's selling his guns because it's not cost effective to hunt?
"I'll Take it"
Kawi on Gus's computer at a meth lab will result in posts like this...
Gus either needs to get off the drugs or get back on them.

Are you selling guns, meat, or an economics course?
Geez I hope this earthling doesn't vote!
my licence is $25 and I can kill 9 deer from september-january.
pretty economical.
My license is 20 bucks, and I can kill unlimited does, and 4 bucks per year. I haven't bought beef in years, and don't miss it.

Money isn't all it's about for me. Look at where factory farm animals are coming from these days, the conditions they're raised in, and what they're being fed.

Deer is much cleaner meat, and is a lot more nutrient dense.
This may be the dumbest post I have ever seen.
Originally Posted by romad97

Hang around the Hunter's Campfire forum a little.......you'll see a bunch of his posts that are dumberer than this one.
Gus I think you are two to three drinks beyond the common condition.
What is this "lease fee" you speak of ?
My 2015 pronghorn cost roughly $150/lb... It's pretty tasty too.
Originally Posted by romad97
clearly you don't follow Gus!

i think it is in the classifieds because the OP is classified as a loon!
Originally Posted by deerstalker

i think it is in the classifieds because the OP is classified as a loon!

That's some good chit there. LOL
With the high price of beef nowadays, it makes even more sense to substitute venison for beef. I haven't bought ground beef in years!!!
Nothing to add here but want another post so I can earn my Bwana merit badge
My wife says our game meat is around $25 lbs because of how much i spend during the season. So i had to explain to her the meat was free because i was going to spend that much to hunt successful or not! She did agree!
round count?
Up for entertainment.
Originally Posted by Blackheart

For me, it's the $1000 per year I pay to have a camp, water, electricity and 10K acres of private land to hunt, so I don't have to go in the million, or so, acres of public land surrounding it.
in az it is around 1100 per pound at least for me. I do not have quad or 24" camp trailer so be on the low side. depending on if you are talking about deer, elk antelop of bighorn sheep
I have a new free ruger gun lock with keys I'll send you if it'll help answer your question.
Originally Posted by johnnyappleseed
I have a new free ruger gun lock with keys I'll send you if it'll help answer your question.

Ill trade some once fire .22LR brass for your lock, but only if you pay shipping both ways.

Originally Posted by Gus
my uncle, a factory worker, first procured (purchased), a pre-64 win 30=30. to connect with a horned beast was good. later, a day or two allowed for a hornless individual to be taken.

No offense intended, and I follow the gist of your post; but, what does this first sentence/statement/phrase mean?
I load my own ammo so my wild game meat costs at least 33% more than you non-reloaders.
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Originally Posted by Gus

No offense intended, and I follow the gist of your post; but, what does this first sentence/statement/phrase mean?

I'm pretty sure he's saying his uncle was horny?
Horny, and less selective as he got older...
So, let me see if I got this straight.

Your father's or mother's brother worked in a factory.
He was first procured.
An old 30 caliber rifle connected to a horned beast was good later.
It requires a day or two to take a hornless individual.

I'm still confused.

Originally Posted by Gus

for me, later in the 70's, a '06 remmy seemed to be the answer, given the changes in the environment.

my first doe (female, etc.), was kilt with a model marlin, 1894, 44 mag. yes, it worked, but she was pretty small.

anyways, nowadays, why hunt deer if all if one has no hope of having a big horned male in one's sights?

meat hunting, given the price/cost of ground round beef is just not worth the effort, is it? i mean, given the license fee, lease fee, gun cost, ammo cost, clothing cost.

what is the economics of hunting big game leading us to? anyone know for sure?
Thing's that make you say WHAT THE HELL!!!!
ok im in....Walmart has chicken on sale for 99 cent a lb.
Livin' the high-life in the barnabus household, huh?

59 cents per lb. for leg quarters is all we can connect with later at the kenoh2 ranch... with either a 30 naught six or 30=30, of course.
Ah, Gus, are you still out there, (way out there)? or did you OD whilst writing that post?
anybody check the obits?
Not sure I understand topic as it does not seem to relate to "classifieds", but in my experience those hunting for economic reasons to put food on table are not constrained by license fees, bag limits or legal seasons. They simply take game as they need it and I don't fault them if that is their genuine situation.
[Linked Image]

It's hard to lose by making a profit!

New snares $5 each,

pre-enjoyed $2.50 each

Sometimes get 3 or 4 hoglets per snare.

Not counting a $.50 10mm handload, that's a value.

LOL

GWB
Originally Posted by geedubya
[Linked Image]

It's hard to lose by making a profit!

New snares $5 each,

pre-enjoyed $2.50 each

Sometimes get 3 or 4 hoglets per snare.

Not counting a $.50 10mm handload, that's a value.

LOL

GWB

Bingo GWB

firstly i apologize for posting to the wrong group. i thought i was on the campfire page, these old eyes, ya know.

but, it's good to see some economics projected into the real world. to actually save (or make) money while helping to manage the out of control hog herd is encouraging news.

wish we could legally use snares here in jawja. maybe some day enlightenment will come our way.

usually, it's guns, traps, or dogs. sometimes bows & ML's.

GWB, thanks for helping to bring this post full=circle.
Originally Posted by McClura
Up for entertainment.

Gus,

my pleasure.

Everyone seems so serious these days.

I do this for fun and entertainment.

Thanks for your "add" in the classified.

It definitely added entertainment, and at a value.

All it cost were the time to read and a few chuckles.

Good on ya' guy!

JAPPFT,

GWB

Way, waaay out there. . .

Originally Posted by Remington725

Ditto
Originally Posted by ltppowell

For me, it's the $1000 per year I pay to have a camp, water, electricity and 10K acres of private land to hunt, so I don't have to go in the million, or so, acres of public land surrounding it.
What's wrong with the public land ?
Originally Posted by 1Nut
Originally Posted by Remington725

Ditto

The freezer of meat full even if non-horned uncle's 94 albeit directly resulting...

it might be a worthy effort to see the USF&WS commission a study on the question that you choose to raise?

acres available, costs, population of animals, location relative to human populations, days invested per kill, number of hunters per acre, etc. etc. and on and on. the wildlife biologists who follow such comparisons can probably add numerous stats to consider.

cost is what comes to my mind, because i grew up poor as hell. in other words, what does it cost to hunt on gov't land, vs private land? not that one is better than the other, but what are the costs?

i can buy ground beef from the local Kroger for about $4.00 per pound. what does the US F&WS say the average cost of per pound squirrel, rabbit, turkey, deer, black bear, etc. etc. harvested is? surely, they know, don't they?
personally i don't care if the cost of store meat was 10% of the cost of procured wild meat. i ranch and i still don't eat most commercial beef. there is stuff going into feedlot beef that scares the heck out of me.

plus i have gotten so used to wild game or free range beef that the taste of feedlot beef is off for me.
tough once in a while i crave a run down your chin fat hamburger.

ps. had to throw in the procured in honor of GUS.
Great thread! I hunt away from home with rifles and in the woods beside the house here with a crossbow. It took me a few years to admit to myself the freezer don't need to be full of venison as long as I have them on the hoof right out my back door, that's free storage and guaranteed fresh.

P.S. I do concur that the procure is the 30=30 to the .308 and Grandpa swears that the white lightning is cheaper than the store bought with the most octane to the fl oz. for the jug it came out of to go in in direct proportion to the heat of the meat. grin
Let me submit.......getting wild meat 4 a married man may not be cost effective. But getting stray cheap wild puss instead will end up costing half..-of everything. So buying legal tags and using an non attached weapon still is economically advisable by most accountants and marriage consulars.

Mostly "public" people.
Mostly "public" people.

Figures to be the best answer on any post today. I quit public land long ago, and just hunt my land, for better or worse. Small acreage, but I usually eat meat. miles
I've pretty much quit the "discussion" portions of all hunting forums, but this is an interesting topic that steps on my toes.

I'm solely a trophy hunter. I do eat what I kill but don't kill for the meat. I hunt 550 miles from where I live on a piece of property that I inherited which is valued at $750,000. I end up driving around 15,000 miles a year to maintain the property, preparing for hunting, and hunting, and I've done it for 14 years. That doesn't take into account vehicles, trailers, tractors, mowers, a house and barn, etc, etc, etc...

The long and short of it is, if I quit hunting, I could probably retire NOW.

[Linked Image]

Nope, not going to happen.....
retrieverman,

Interesting!!

My son taught English in Korea for a while, he tells me that the Koreans do not have a word for "similar". He says they say in English, "same, same, but different".

I drive 300 miles to my "lease". We have a 1,700 acre pature in the Texas hill country. If you flattened it out, it would probably be in excess of 3,000 acres. I figure it costs me between $300 and $500 a trip depending........

I made four trips during turkey season this year. I figure on a good year, I'll make 20 trips.

However, I am a short range meat hunter. Haven't killed a deer in last four years that I recall. However, I do luv trapping, snaring and shooting hoglets.

I am retired, but don't ever plan to stop hunting. I've put my order in with the "man upstairs" to let me die in the stand. I've instructed my buds, that if god grants that request, to just roll me out and let the hogs recycle me. Lord knows I've eaten enough of them. LOL

[Linked Image]

Just Another Porker Perforator from Texas

GWB
quit your sniveling.............a vegetarian is nothing more then a lousy hunter
I've put my order in with the "man upstairs" to let me die in the stand. I've instructed my buds, that if god grants that request, to just roll me out and let the hogs recycle me. Lord knows I've eaten enough of them. LOL

Best statement I've seen here on the fire in a long time GW! Told the wife to plant me on the back 40 for fertilizer!
Same here - 5 hours now to my farm used to be 3. A good year 10x and about 1/4 of the miles on my truck.

[Linked Image]

Moon last year's season.

Originally Posted by geedubya
retrieverman,

Interesting!!

My son taught English in Korea for a while, he tells me that the Koreans do not have a word for "similar". He says they say in English, "same, same, but different".

I drive 300 miles to my "lease". We have a 1,700 acre pature in the Texas hill country. If you flattened it out, it would probably be in excess of 3,000 acres. I figure it costs me between $300 and $500 a trip depending........

I made four trips during turkey season this year. I figure on a good year, I'll make 20 trips.

However, I am a short range meat hunter. Haven't killed a deer in last four years that I recall. However, I do luv trapping, snaring and shooting hoglets.

I am retired, but don't ever plan to stop hunting. I've put my order in with the "man upstairs" to let me die in the stand. I've instructed my buds, that if god grants that request, to just roll me out and let the hogs recycle me. Lord knows I've eaten enough of them. LOL

[Linked Image]

Just Another Porker Perforator from Texas

GWB
© 24hourcampfire