Home
I have owned a bunch of .30-06s but never one that surprised me as to accuacy. I am thinking five shots consistently under an inch with multiple good hunting loads. What do you have that you want to sell that will do this in .30-06?

Thank you.
Should have bought that finnlight in the classifieds. They guarantee them to shoot 5 shots moa. I'll bet most Tikka will do the same out of the box.
Tikkas have been my most accurate .30-06s or close, but not quite there in that I am looking for spectacular. My Tikka Creedmoor is spectacular as is my Blaser Creedmoor and Blaser 7 RM. I've never owned a spectacular 30-06 but have tried. Have probably had 50 plus rifles from companies like Tikka, Win, Rem, Ruger, Sako, Cooper, Blaser, NULA and numerous customs plus at least five sets of dies and a lot of brass and bullets. I have to believe a truly accurate .30-06 exists, but I haven't experienced it.

Maybe there's a reason targets became smaller in High Power after the .308 became popular?
Guys got a Weatherby Vanguard MOA listed in the classifieds here. Has had additional work done to it, really nice looking ride too! If I find it quick, I'll bring it to the top.
Posted By: Mrg Re: WTB: Really Accurate 30-06 - 01/18/18
I’ll send you a pm. They certainly do exist, atleast one anyway.
Posted By: 2be1 Re: WTB: Really Accurate 30-06 - 01/18/18
I know of two older model 70's in 30-06 that are just amazing. My younger brother has the stainless with the fiber stock. The recoil is like a 22mag. The other belonged to my best friend, he could shoot hole for hole with factory Remington ammo. The gun shot so amazingly he had a artist carve a wildlife picture on the stock.
Posted By: dgr416 Re: WTB: Really Accurate 30-06 - 01/18/18
Both my weatherby vanguard and Winchester model 70'shoot around an inch with the right loads .It's usually serria 165 grain boattail bullets that do.it .They are awesome at 100-350 ,yards but they are terrible to.blow up close up .There is so much variation.in ammo and chambers in 3006 that most are sloppy chambered also.It just takes time to find the right load .My black shadow model 70 outshot way more expensive rifles so did the vanguard .
I've owned at least a couple of .30-06's like that. One was a standard-weight pre-'64 Model 70, and the other my 21-year-old NULA Model 24. Might find others if I check my loading notes.
Posted By: Bugger Re: WTB: Really Accurate 30-06 - 01/18/18
I’ve owned many 06’s. Most Remington 700’s will do what you are asking if you’re happy with 1 MOA. I had an 03 that would easily shot 1/4 MOA. My cousin uses it in cast bullet matches now.

I have a few 700 06’s now (early 700’s), all with Leupold scopes - M8 4x, VX2 3x9, and VX2 2x7. One is a ‘62 Model carbine, It has a low power Leupold, don’t remember what power for sure.

If you want an 06 to shoot ~ 1/2 MOA, pay attention to details. Case preparation, trim, aneal the necks,

Clean the bore

Some/most rifles shoot better glass bedded, some better free floated

Get the trigger pull to less than 3 lb - crisp.

The 06 is a grand old cartridge. Happy shooting.
I have one on consignment at a local shop you may want to research.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../12524170/re-factory-custom#Post12524170
I have owned more .30-06s than all other rifles put together. All my 7-08s have been spectacular, most of my .300 Win Mags have been, I have never had an inaccurate .270 and a few have been spectacular, my 9.3x62 is spectacular as are my 6.5 Creedmoors. I don't understand why the .30-06 has been more difficult.
This looks promising.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...moa-stainless-hcr-accurized#Post12558075

I plan on doing quite a bit of work with the Remington 700 30-06’s I own this summer. If you can wait, I’ll have 4 or 5 for sale.
Originally Posted by Bugger

I plan on doing quite a bit of work with the Remington 700 30-06’s I own this summer. If you can wait, I’ll have 4 or 5 for sale.

Most factory 700s wont shoot to my expectation for this project. Had cheap SPS 700s in 7-08 and 300 that would. The rest, including older .30-06s, wouldn't. Had another Remington that would do it on a warm bore but cold always went 4" high and 4" left, which was unacceptable.

Consistent cold or hot five-shot groups under 1" at 100 with multiple hunting bullets in .30-06 is what I am seeking. Many will do it with one load sometimes or for three shots most of the time but few will consistently do it for five shots with multiple loads.
Buy a Colt light rifle and send it to Melvin. $550 for a Colt, $750.00 for Melvin, $1300.00 and you'll have what you seek.
Posted By: tojohn Re: WTB: Really Accurate 30-06 - 01/18/18
Define "really accurate." Hunting rifle? BR? Military? I have a plain Jane Remington 700 DBM that shoots sub MOA all day, every day with just about everything that I feed it. This kind of accuracy might have been a bit unusual when this gun was made, but it's pretty normal now.

Mine gave me this group, which was only 3-shots, but I was just checking zero for my handloads and didn't even realize what it was doing until I walked downrange. It turns out, the 200yd zero was just about right on the money. No, it's not for sale at a reasonable price, but my point is, it doesn't have to be a special gun. It might be easier to just pick a price point and buy something.

[img]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/12559828#Post12559828[/img]
Posted By: DBrink Re: WTB: Really Accurate 30-06 - 01/18/18
I am sure they are out there. IMO, the .30-06 is a little more bullet finicky than some other cartridges and it does seem they tend to like one weight over another in general. I did have (should not have sold) a Remington 78 plain jane the would put multiple weights to the same POI in it's factory birch stock and into very small groups.
Posted By: TDN Re: WTB: Really Accurate 30-06 - 01/18/18
There was a custom 06 on here not long ago posted by scottz48 or some such name. Pretty sure he is out of NY and has sold bunch of 70s, Kimbers and some MRC rifles on here. Seemed to me it was done up in a McMillan and a Bart 2b on there. Looked promising for what you're looking for.
Posted By: COCKED Re: WTB: Really Accurate 30-06 - 01/18/18
Here is a target from my New Tikka t-3 in 30-06. I put it in a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock and topped it with Warne rings and a SWFA 3-9.

Unlike all the other 06's I have had in the past it did not like 165's or even 150's. About the best I could get was 3/4 inch. Then I tried the 180 Nosler ballistic tips and here is what I got. Note this is the first powder I tried (RL22) and I seated the bullets to factory specs.

So maybe you need to try different weight bullets and different powders.

Regards,
Dan

[Linked Image]
Posted By: bersh Re: WTB: Really Accurate 30-06 - 01/18/18
As has been said numerous times in this forum and others, there are far more MOA rifles than there are MOA shooters. If you've owned that many 06s and can't find an accurate one, it's time to move on and either find one you like the looks/feel/ergonomics of and live with it, or keep shooting rifles of other calibers and forget the 06.
Originally Posted by bersh
As has been said numerous times in this forum and others, there are far more MOA rifles than there are MOA shooters. If you've owned that many 06s and can't find an accurate one, it's time to move on and either find one you like the looks/feel/ergonomics of and live with it, or keep shooting rifles of other calibers and forget the 06.

Originally Posted by bersh

It sounds like the OP is an experienced shooter and knows what he wants, and is willing to buy it if someone offers. Probably not looking for everyone's advice or opinions. I have a couple of very accurate '06 rifles but I have rarely shot 5 shot groups, which is what he specified.

Good luck, DesertMuleDeer
DMD knows his way around rifles, and has owned some very nice ones.

Good luck with your search!
I bought one of DMD's 30-06's a little over a year ago. It was a Pre 64 model 70 featherweight. It will shoot a 1" to 1 1/4" 3 shot groups. I have never tried a 5 shot group with it as of yet. I was able to pick up a twin to it last year that shoots consistent sub MOA for 3 shots. One of these days I will take the time to shoot some 5 shot groups, but that is not really my game. A LGS has a T3 Hunter in 30-06 for a little under $400. That may be the ticket.
Posted By: 2be1 Re: WTB: Really Accurate 30-06 - 01/18/18
I'm curious as to why a 30-06 would be a go to rifle in today's market of much better performance cal. Lot of them with like recoil , at one hundred yards the older marlin 32 special will shoot hole for hole at that distance. Not to criticize but I can't understand the obsession of the 30-06. Best of luck in your search.
Originally Posted by TDN
There was a custom 06 on here not long ago posted by scottz48 or some such name. Pretty sure he is out of NY and has sold bunch of 70s, Kimbers and some MRC rifles on here. Seemed to me it was done up in a McMillan and a Bart 2b on there. Looked promising for what you're looking for.

Good suggestion - I believe this is the one TDN was refering to. Unfired, but genetics are there.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-stiller-predator-bartlein-#Post12479021
I think there’s a Beanland 30-06 floating around the classifieds - if not here maybe the long range hunting forum?
Posted By: Dogger Re: WTB: Really Accurate 30-06 - 01/18/18
buddy of mine swore by the accuracy of his 30-06 A-Bolt... he would not consider anything else.
Regarding advice: no harm meant. I’m a little surprised though that an 06 shooting 1MOA 5 shot groups is uncommon.
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/beanland-30-06.191491/
Posted By: 16bore Re: WTB: Really Accurate 30-06 - 01/19/18
Boring Tikka accuracy from a boring 30-06, but not spectacular.....

[Linked Image]
If a person is shooting long range matches I could see 5 shot groups. In a real world hunting rifle I shoot 2 shots. If the 2nd shot is say 3/4 or less from first shot i'm done. To me the better test would be to shoot 2 one day. Shoot 2 another day at same target. Lot more revealing as to real world hunting accuracy. Just my 2 cents. Remember some folk pick up a penny when they see it...others stroll on by. My 06 is consistent in this matter. Deer don't like it.
Posted By: tojohn Re: WTB: Really Accurate 30-06 - 01/19/18
Lots of harsh people on this thread! My post wasn't meant to be harsh, just my experience. I really do think that you could walk into Walmart with $500 and walk out with a 30-06, a few boxes of ammo, and still have change to fill up your pickup and a 12 pack for yourself, and the rifle would shoot MOA all day, every day, assuming of course that the 12 pack was left for after your range session. In fact, isn't it guaranteed with any Savage rifle? Maybe you don't want a Savage, and either do I, but the challenge here isn't finding an 06 that shoots MOA, it's more about finding the right rifle for you, and maybe "really accurate" is the wrong goal. Maybe a Remington 750 in 35W is the right rifle?
Posted By: Bugger Re: WTB: Really Accurate 30-06 - 01/19/18
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Originally Posted by Bugger

Most factory 700s wont shoot to my expectation for this project. Had cheap SPS 700s in 7-08 and 300 that would. The rest, including older .30-06s, wouldn't. Had another Remington that would do it on a warm bore but cold always went 4" high and 4" left, which was unacceptable.

Consistent cold or hot five-shot groups under 1" at 100 with multiple hunting bullets in .30-06 is what I am seeking. Many will do it with one load sometimes or for three shots most of the time but few will consistently do it for five shots with multiple loads.

I've found that 700's will shoot that accurately. However, some require rebedding or other minor work, a newer 700 required polishing of the bore, rebedding and truing the lugs.

I may be wrong but it seems to me that the early 700's through the 90's required less work to get them to shoot accurately. I still have a 721 that I restocked that would have met your criteria, however this last barrel which it is wearing is pretty much shot out (It is the 4th barrel I've had on that action.) I really like that 721, but had to send it back to Remington in the 80's for a new extractor. So far that extractor still works well - keeping my fingers crossed. 721's and 722's are/were very accurate with very little work needed.

Perhaps 5 shot groups with multiple loads may weed out many. My hunting loads traditionally have been 180 grain bullets (Remington CL's - least accurate in many rifles, Speer SP's, Hornady IL's, and Nosler PT's). I've heard that the newer Nosler bullets are more accurate, but I've had no problem with PT's. Also, some consider Sierra bullets as "hunting" bullets and they are traditionally quite accurate.

I own a few other manufacturer's rifles (Tikka, Ruger, Winchester, CZ, but no Savage's)), very few shoot as well as an older 700's, in my experience.

The 5 shot < 1MOA groups with multiple hunting loads with hot and cold barrels is a challenge that I'll be interested in trying when weather permits.
I have had a couple of 30-06's that would shoot, and have had a couple that were not overly impressive. I had a Ruger M77 Mark II that was super accurate with just about anything you slung down range, except core lokts. Those were minute of pie plate at best. Another rifle I wished I still had.

I had an older model Savage 110 30-06, that was a decent shooter, never got anything more than 2 inch 3 shot groups out of it, however that was my slop gun at the time, take it places that you would never take some of your finer rifles. Traded that for another rifle.

I had a Beautiful Winchester Model 70 xtr sporter, it was ok, I was never happy with how it shot, so I sold it. I was not into reloading then, and always just shot factory Hornady Ammunition out of it. Often wonder what that rifle would have done with proper load development.

Now I have a Zastava Interarms Mark X 30-06 that drives tacks with just about anything except for core lokts, and I have another Winchester Model 70 XTR Sporter 30-06 ( not near as nice as the first one I had) that will shoot the core lokts into 1" groups and Barnes 150 Grain TTSX bullets in 5/8" groups, and sometimes into the same holes.

For a short period I had one of those Mossberg ATR's , it was impressively accurate, ended up I sold that for twice what I paid for it. I think some rifles just need a little tinkering at times, and some just need to be paired with the right ammunition / or load. Go with what it will shoot, not what you want it to shoot.

In this day and time less than MOA just doesn't cut the mustard anymore. Used to be if you were getting 1 1/2 groups that was a great shooting rifle. Sometimes good enough, just isn't good enough.

Good luck with search.
Posted By: Bugger Re: WTB: Really Accurate 30-06 - 10/11/18
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
I have owned a bunch of .30-06s but never one that surprised me as to accuacy. I am thinking five shots consistently under an inch with multiple good hunting loads. What do you have that you want to sell that will do this in .30-06?

Thank you.

I have an butt ugly 721 in 30-06. It has a screw on 700 take off barrel, a model 78 birch stock, it will shoot 180 grain interlocks both pb and bt into an inch with H4895. It does best with the pb though. I recently tried GMX 165 grain bullets in it - 1/2 " group 8 shots. It wears a M8 4x beat up Leupold scope with scars and dents. About the only thing original is the receiver, the bolt and the trigger, even the extractor has been replaced back when Remington still has some 721 extractors. The bluing is all but gone.

I've had this rifle for a very long time and though it is ugly as Hillary, I'm afraid it isn't for sale.
Posted By: Dinny Re: WTB: Really Accurate 30-06 - 10/12/18
Mine is seriously accurate with Varget and 168gr Berger H-VLDs.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13196369/dinnys-pics-6#Post13196369

Thanks, Dinny
Posted By: Oso250 Re: WTB: Really Accurate 30-06 - 10/12/18
tag
Posted By: tack Re: WTB: Really Accurate 30-06 - 10/12/18
Look into a Bergara B-14 in 30-06. They guarantee MOA.
The Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor will do it all day long.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've owned at least a couple of .30-06's like that. One was a standard-weight pre-'64 Model 70, and the other my 21-year-old NULA Model 24. Might find others if I check my loading notes.

Just put 4 rounds that fit completely under a quarter at 100 yards out of my pre war 30 Gov't 06 checking zero for this weekends mule deer hunt. 52gr of IMR 4064 and 150gr Hdy SP's shoot amazing out of that rifle. It will do nearly the same with a stiff load of H4350 and 180gr SP's. It's not for sale though.........
Posted By: Dinny Re: WTB: Really Accurate 30-06 - 10/13/18
Mine is for sale....

Thanks, Dinny
Posted By: Sako76 Re: WTB: Really Accurate 30-06 - 10/13/18
TC Venture Weathershield, no doubt about it!
© 24hourcampfire