Home
Posted By: Switch Soft Market - 05/22/18
Why is the market so soft on guns lately? I've tried to sell as few to make room is the safe and can't give them away. With the way prices the way they are I've actual added to the number I have because I found deals I thought were cheap ,and now looking for another safe. I'm seeing really nice stuff here on the Fire and in the back of my mind I think I'd better jump on them before they are gone, and two weeks later they are still listed.. Same on GB. I sold a 99 here and now regretting the sale due to the cheap price I got.. Won't be long until the price are down to what I told my wife I paid. Sorry to say,but I guess hunter numbers are on the decline and us old guys have more than we ever will use.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Soft Market - 05/22/18
Originally Posted by Switch
Why is the market so soft on guns lately? I've tried to sell as few to make room is the safe and can't give them away. With the way prices the way they are I've actual added to the number I have because I found deals I thought were cheap ,and now looking for another safe. I'm seeing really nice stuff here on the Fire and in the back of my mind I think I'd better jump on them before they are gone, and two weeks later they are still listed.. Same on GB. I sold a 99 here and now regretting the sale due to the cheap price I got.. Won't be long until the price are down to what I told my wife I paid. Sorry to say,but I guess hunter numbers are on the decline and us old guys have more than we ever will use.

There might be something to that and the cheap gun market has diluted the expensive one . The stuff I watch on Gunbroker is very slow. I was contemplating selling a few rifles but think I might as well just hold on to them.
Posted By: halfmile Re: Soft Market - 05/22/18
There are entirely too many people who want to get every penny they paid out of their gun they are selling.

That's why they sit on here for a long time. this is OK if the right buyer is out there somewhere.

If you want to price your gun to the market look on Gunbroker for the same with at least 2 bids on it.

HM
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Soft Market - 05/22/18
Originally Posted by halfmile
There are entirely too many people who want to get every penny they paid out of their gun they are selling.

That's why they sit on here for a long time. this is OK if the right buyer is out there somewhere.

If you want to price your gun to the market look on Gunbroker for the same with at least 2 bids on it.

HM

It's been tough even finding a rifle with one bid on it , you are right though , your price will be compared to one on GB.
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Soft Market - 05/22/18
There are going to be LOTS of 'classics' going cheap as the boomers keep getting older and older and they realize the younger guys don't want their 'old' sheit.

In a way, the collectors caused it. It will be funny seeing lots of old rifles going for pennies on the dollar in the coming years.
Posted By: JWL3 Re: Soft Market - 05/22/18
completed auctions with bids is most reflective of current market
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Soft Market - 05/22/18
The impetus to buy guns "since the government will try to ban them" has fallen out from under the market the day Trump was elected, or took office, whichever one prefers.

We all remember the shortages on .22 ammo and loading components and the huge price rise on anything AR related under Obama. That general sense of panic permeated the whole market, including bolt action rifles and antiques. Or what I think was that sellers took advantage of that panic mode to push prices on everything into the stratosphere, and as long as folks would pay them, why not do so? Raw capitalism setting prices at whatever the market would bear. Now that the immediate danger seems to be gone under the Trump administration those bubble prices have burst.

Three years ago you could get upwards of $1400 for most any LH Model 70 and even going up over $2000, especially if it was stainless. Some limited run Marlins with the safety were priced well over $1000 (I sold a 16" .45 1894 for $1200). Now that same LH Model 70 would be lucky to fetch $1100 or so and a lot of them in the lesser desired chamberings are going for only a bit more than a new right hand model might sell for.

Same same all over the market - with the threat gone from short term memory buyers aren't so anxious to get something at any price. The AR's started the trend of dropping demand/dropping prices and the rest of the market is following. I see a lot of sellers still haven't gotten that word, or just as likely got into something at the peak and are now trying to recoup their money when the market is in the valley.

I'm in the same boat as you. Would really like to thin the herd and have a few rare or otherwise desirable rifles, such as a pair of Kimber of OR rifles with matching serial numbers and a LH Winchester Custom Shop M70, but am not about to put those into a depressed market like this. Then run of the mill things like a stock Tikka or Ruger American - hell, may as well donate them somewhere and claim a big tax deduction for all the money you'd get trying to sell them.

The good news is that it doesn't cost anything to hang onto them. Their value will at least roughly match inflation and if/when some Democrat starts making serious gun control noises again we'll probably see another round of panic buying with price levels rising to match.
Posted By: JTod Re: Soft Market - 05/22/18
Obviously the overall market is a lot softer with Trump in office but there are still certain firearms that are rapidly appreciating - stuff that's out of production and relatively rare like HK P7, Smith 52-2, BL-17, etc.

IMHO you can't price a firearm for sale on any forum at GB pricing, you'll never sell it. GB is a much larger audience and those members have clear feedback so you have a pretty good idea who you are dealing with. You also have the dick measuring effect with any auction, you won't get that here. You want to sell something here it's going to have to be priced pretty aggressively...
Posted By: Diablero Re: Soft Market - 05/22/18
I think the gun market is exactly where it needs to be. Gun shops, collectors and sellers have been price gouging us for years. Also a good thing is competition between the makers. More of the gun manufacturers guarantee MOA right out of the box and come with nice triggers. As someone said earlier, the gun market has done it to themselves. What comes around will eventually go around and it's been long overdue. Rifles that cost $800 to a $1000 dollars 5 or 10 years ago, you will be lucky to get $500 bucks for and why buy your old stuff when I can buy a brand new Tikka or other nice rifles in the $500ish range and it's guaranteed MOA or even sub MOA.
Posted By: WeimGuy Re: Soft Market - 05/22/18
Prices will rebound some shortly. This is a market correction just like stocks. Prices go up until they free fall a
bit.
Posted By: Legionnaire Re: Soft Market - 05/22/18
I think there's another factor in play, too. Lots of new cartridges (the Creedmoors, .224 Valkyrie, etc.) and platforms to shoot them make "classic" cartridges less desirable, especially to new shooters. If I were starting over today, I'd probably be on the 6mm and 6.5mm Creedmoor bandwagon. As an "old guy," I'm having too much fun with my .308s, .260 Remingtons, and .243 Ackleys. But I have no delusion as to what those guns would sell for if I needed to part with them. Same thing with scopes. Better glass with laser-etched reticles has reached a lower price point, making the aftermarket for used scopes soft, too. So new technology is also in play.
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: Soft Market - 05/22/18
Originally Posted by WeimGuy
Prices will rebound some shortly. This is a market correction just like stocks. Prices go up until they free fall a
bit.

Wrong, This gun market downturn will last several years, the up and down cycles are always several years in duration.
Posted By: SquibLoad Re: Soft Market - 05/22/18
The milsurp market sure as hell ain't soft! It's gone crazy
Posted By: Switch Re: Soft Market - 05/22/18
Originally Posted by Diablero
I think the gun market is exactly where it needs to be. Gun shops, collectors and sellers have been price gouging us for years. Also a good thing is competition between the makers. More of the gun manufacturers guarantee MOA right out of the box and come with nice triggers. As someone said earlier, the gun market has done it to themselves. What comes around will eventually go around and it's been long overdue. Rifles that cost $800 to a $1000 dollars 5 or 10 years ago, you will be lucky to get $500 bucks for and why buy your old stuff when I can buy a new Tikka or other nice rifles in the $500ish range and it's guaranteed MOA or even sub MOA.

Tikkas and Ruger Americans, ect. shoot amazingly well. I have owned a Tikka but just did't float my boat. Never could warm up to the toy like feel, I tried after all the praising and bragging about the Tikkas here on the Fire so finally bought one, but never warmed up to it, so it went down the.road. Probably still shooting those tiny groups with the new owner. Don't want to argue or ruffle and feathers, to each his own. I'm not a snob as I own a Marlin X7 223and a Remington Express shot gun for truck guns. Tried to sell the Express a couple of months ago here on the Fire for $189.00 and didn't get one reply or offer., my Ruger Hawkeye 6.5 Creedmor @ $450.00 was the same result. Not exactly looking for wind fall profits here.
I think the gun market is exactly where it needs to be. Gun shops, collectors and sellers have been price gouging us for years. Also a good thing is competition between the makers. More of the gun manufacturers guarantee MOA right out of the box and come with nice triggers. As someone said earlier, the gun market has done it to themselves. What comes around will eventually go around and it's been long overdue. Rifles that cost $800 to a $1000 dollars 5 or 10 years ago, you will be lucky to get $500 bucks for and why buy your old stuff when I can buy a new Tikka or other nice rifles in the $500ish range and it's guaranteed MOA or even sub MOA.

Tikkas and Ruger Americans, ect. shoot amazingly well. I have owned a Tikka but just did't float my boat. Never could warm up to the toy like feel, I tried after all the praising and bragging about the Tikkas here on the Fire but never got there, so it went down the.road, probably still shooting those tiny groups with the new owner. Don't want to argue or ruffle and feathers, to each his own. I'm not a snob as I own a Marlin X7 223and a Remington Express shot gun for truck guns. Tried to sell the Express a couple of months ago here on the Fire for $189.00 and didn't get one reply or offer., my Ruger Hawkeye 6.5 Creedmor @ $450.00 was the same result. Nor exactly looking for wind fall profits here.

Switch I totally understand, to each his own. I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers either.

Also, if anyone is waiting for the Democrats and the tree huggers to make a splash in the pond so you can make a few dollars on your guns it makes me wonder who's side your on anyway???
Posted By: ken158 Re: Soft Market - 05/22/18
As the age of buyers change, so does their interests. Few of us have a gun that is so rare and desirable as in one that hundreds of thousands were not made... so the price needs to be reasonable with the supply to get yours sold. All the new wiz bang calibers get the attention and old standbys get few looks. Who wants a pre 64 Winchester that weights 12 pounds when you can get a synthetic stock stainless whatever at half the weight and cost. Gunbroker sold is where I do my price shopping. Gunbroker asking prices mean nothing.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: Soft Market - 05/22/18
I have recently sold a dozen or so "vintage" rifles mostly pre64 M70's but there was a M94 38-55 and a M71 in the mix. I got my price out of all of them.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Soft Market - 05/22/18
I think it all depends on what you are selling. Old Smiths pre 64 Winchester’s are still expensive. AR’s seem to rise and fall depending on the democrats latest call for gun control.
I consider guns to be investments that I shoot. Hasbeen
Posted By: tpeavy Re: Soft Market - 05/22/18
Enjoy it, its a buyers market. Get em while you can!
Posted By: SquibLoad Re: Soft Market - 05/22/18
Probably will get chastised for saying this but, I believe to continue seeing the pre 64 Winchesters, Sako's,etc,etc appreciate, they'll need to be put in a video game! There are less young people hunting,fishing every year, while a whole lot more are sitting in front of TV's playing games. Eventually the bottom is going to fall out of that market.
Posted By: SnowyMountaineer Re: Soft Market - 05/22/18
Guns and ammo too expensive, they complain...
Guns and ammo too cheap, they complain...
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Soft Market - 05/22/18
It will be funny seeing lots of old rifles going for pennies on the dollar in the coming years.

That's why the 17th century wheelocks are going so cheap laugh

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/770657645
Posted By: 16bore Re: Soft Market - 05/22/18
10 cent cigars abound....

Tikkas and Ruger Americans, ect. shoot amazingly well. I have owned a Tikka but just did't float my boat. Never could warm up to the toy like feel, I tried after all the praising and bragging about the Tikkas here on the Fire but never got there, so it went down the.road, probably still shooting those tiny groups with the new owner. Don't want to argue or ruffle and feathers, to each his own. I'm not a snob as I own a Marlin X7 223and a Remington Express shot gun for truck guns. Tried to sell the Express a couple of months ago here on the Fire for $189.00 and didn't get one reply or offer., my Ruger Hawkeye 6.5 Creedmor @ $450.00 was the same result. Nor exactly looking for wind fall profits here.

Switch I totally understand, to each his own. I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers either.

Also, if anyone is waiting for the Democrats and the tree huggers to make a splash in the pond so you can make a few dollars on your guns it makes me wonder who's side your on anyway???

What did my post have to do with politics?????????????????????? Looks like I ruffled your feathers! Sorry

Tikkas and Ruger Americans, ect. shoot amazingly well. I have owned a Tikka but just did't float my boat. Never could warm up to the toy like feel, I tried after all the praising and bragging about the Tikkas here on the Fire but never got there, so it went down the.road, probably still shooting those tiny groups with the new owner. Don't want to argue or ruffle and feathers, to each his own. I'm not a snob as I own a Marlin X7 223and a Remington Express shotgun for truck guns. Tried to sell the Express a couple of months ago here on the Fire for $189.00 and didn't get one reply or offer., my Ruger Hawkeye 6.5 Creedmor @ $450.00 was the same result. Nor exactly looking for wind fall profits here.

What did my post have to do with politics???????????????? Guess I ruffed your feathers. Sorry!
Posted By: 16bore Re: Soft Market - 05/22/18
Supply and demand for a product with very little obsolescence. Except 30-06's and 270's. They don't work anymore.

What did my post have to do with politics???????????????? Guess I ruffed your feathers. Sorry!

No, no. I wasn't directing that at you lol. I was just talking out loud to anyone. Saying what's on my mind. It's all good. That's the reason I put my response in 2 different phrases wink. Cool head here my friend. Have a good one.
Originally Posted by 16bore
Supply and demand for a product with very little obsolescence. Except 30-06's and 270's. They don't work anymore.

16 Bore

The modified mounts I bought from you were the nicest thing about the Tikkka I had. They went with the rifle. Great workmanship, thank you!
Posted By: MRKbass Re: Soft Market - 05/22/18
I’m ready to load up. Cry or buy, just do something
Posted By: MRKbass Re: Soft Market - 05/22/18

HM

HM

HM

[quote=halfmile]

This
Posted By: remingtonclassic Re: Soft Market - 05/22/18
I'll take my chances ,they can bury mine with me when I pass, there won't be any complaints on my end,
Originally Posted by MRKbass
[quote=halfmile]There are entirely too many people who want to get every penny they paid out of their gun they are selling.

HM

HM

HM

This

I just looked at GB and it was hard to find many guns with 1 bids let alone 2! Slow and soft!
Posted By: Biebs Re: Soft Market - 05/22/18
Guns and hunting were part of our youth, not so much anymore.

Young buyers mainly interested in guns they got to select when playing video games...black rifles, handguns and such.

Africa is a mess with import restrictions, disease, violence, bad press.

Access to hunting land has become more and more restricted.

Not many grow up on farms these days as urbanization continues.

Cost of outfitted hunts has become prohibitive.
Originally Posted by Biebs

Young buyers mainly interested in guns they got to select when playing video games...black rifles, handguns and such.

Originally Posted by Biebs

Yes sir I agree!
Posted By: texken Re: Soft Market - 05/22/18
the younger crowd are into black guns, I have been selling because of med issues so my wife does not have to deal with...
Posted By: deflave Re: Soft Market - 05/22/18
Peaks and valleys, boys. Peaks and valleys.

Gun market's no different than any other.
Posted By: tack Re: Soft Market - 05/22/18
Recent Observations:

Went to a small town ,Pacific, Mo. Gun show Saturday afternoon
Advertised 50-60 booths.
Actual booths at the show 40
Advertised Price of entry $7.00
Actual admission at the door marked down to $5.00. $6.00 for weekend.
Vendor count Red Badges 55
Buyer count no badge. 5 including me.
Gun Prices appeared high. $1000. for a 1903 30-06 Springfield rifle in good condition.
$1200. for M-1 30-06 good condition. Dealer had 20-30 to sell.
I left with absolutely no intention of making an offer.
I brought a Weatherby Mark V Deluxe 270 Weatherby Mag. with great wood. Couldn't get an offer.
The "buzz is gone".
Posted By: iviax Re: Soft Market - 05/22/18
It’s trumps fault. He’s making gun market soft again.
Posted By: Joseywales Re: Soft Market - 05/23/18
My family enjoys shooting. A couple guns. When they different variations, they lose interest quickly. They just see it as they only need one or two to shoot and that's it I'm packing up all of the Lionel trains and they are getting sold off as well. None of my children have any interest. I have some concern they might regret it if I sell off the trains, but I doubt it. Kids in their 20s have no real desire to even buy a house, let alone have enough space to display/run trains. Some are intimidated by home ownership and the repairs/maintenance. Others have no desire to get into any more debt than they already have, due to the outrageous cost of higher education.

20 years from now, these then 40-50 year olds might be looking for a Browning or S&W that dad used to have. So, if you can wait that out...

Another observation - as the S&W, Colts, Winchesters, etc. all climb to, well, somewhat absurd prices, folks look for other options, such as lesser known brands, but still quality made firearms. As the prices on the lesser know brands climb, the name brands will temper and reduce...or not.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Soft Market - 05/23/18
There's always going to be a market for cheap RAR's and Westley & Richards.

The middle is what gets goofy.
Posted By: Poconojack Re: Soft Market - 05/23/18
It’s definetly a buyer’s market....
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Soft Market - 05/23/18
Originally Posted by BD1023
Probably will get chastised for saying this but, I believe to continue seeing the pre 64 Winchesters, Sako's,etc,etc appreciate, they'll need to be put in a video game! There are less young people hunting,fishing every year, while a whole lot more are sitting in front of TV's playing games. Eventually the bottom is going to fall out of that market.

So funny and so true smile .
Posted By: deflave Re: Soft Market - 05/23/18
Funny you guys say that because teenage boys light up around Garand's and carbines and Thompsons due to the WWII specific iterations of games like Call of Duty.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Soft Market - 05/23/18
I think the recent softening is multifaceted.
A politically driven demand drove prices way high.

A stable environment killed that demand.
Other factors, along with people having purchased in artificially high numbers,
then pushed demand below norms.

Soft market.

The above mentioned high prices were so artificially high, that when the crazy demand stopped,
and prices settled (to still higher than pre-Obama) levels. Those levels feel too cheap to sellers.
Nobody likes to sell a gun that was worth $900 a year ago, for $650 today.
Even if they bought it for $320, ten years ago

For sale,

RRA, carbine.

$200 off what it was worth in 2013.
If I could just find a sucker.
Posted By: Bugger Re: Soft Market - 05/23/18
I just sold my AR. I lost money, but the market took a nose dive on AR's. I was happy to get what I did out of it.

My concern is the possibility of getting a Californian in the Oval office.

While I was in Australia, I met a guy who lost his retirement as he had it tied up in highly collectable firearms. London's finest, the government decided he didn't need them so very much.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Soft Market - 05/23/18
Originally Posted by Bugger
I just sold my AR. I lost money, but the market took a nose dive on AR's. I was happy to get what I did out of it.

My concern is the possibility of getting a Californian in the Oval office.

While I was in Australia, I met a guy who lost his retirement as he had it tied up in highly collectable firearms. London's finest, the government decided he didn't need them so very much.

I believe a lot of folks believe in the second amendment. In other words they can have them when they are empty. Hasbeen
Posted By: Lacy1 Re: Soft Market - 05/24/18
I am a ready, willing and able buyer. Therefore, if any of you guys have anything to sell please feel free to send me a PM with details. You never know what I might be in the mood to acquire.
I read all of the comments. I agree with most.
However on a positive note I am a professional but all of my recreational focus is on hunting and fishing and shooting.
I have 2 teenage
boys and a teen nephew that I have raised outdoors and they all love it and are carrying on the traditions. I help them each year to try and introduce their friends to our lifestyle. So far most have taken up the outdoor pursuit.
This spring we hosted 2 weekend camping trips at our place for teenage youth groups. 90% had never slept outdoors and all had a great time.
Lifestyles are changing but I do believe that there is still a hunger in the youth to experience the outdoors. We that have grown up in it and want to maintain it must make the sacrifice of time and effort to bring new people into our community of outdoorsmen.lo
Posted By: Rugerfan4374 Re: Soft Market - 05/24/18
I personally am buying up what I can now at the lower prices. A few years ago I could not dream of affording a rifle in high demand and being able to put quality glass on it. Now I have been able to pick up a few of what I have been looking for , for years, at to me a very fair price. I hate that some of you feel that you are not getting what you think your rifles are worth, but I think that 3 times what you paid for it 10 to 15 years ago is a little extreme anyway. and I think that some of the prices I see on Gunbroker are way to high. Stuff that a few years ago that was selling like hotcakes, is sitting and be relisted week after week.

As many of said, hunting and shooting has changed drastically for me and others that I know. The rifle range that I use to shoot at 200 and 300 yards is now closed for what seems like for good. Only a 100 yard range remains within a decent driving distance. So what good is a 300 yard rifle if you cannot practice at those ranges?

The landowner of the land that I hunted last season has pulled our lease, he is clear cutting the property and it will go up forsale once it is timbered and clear cut. Hunting public lands is getting crowded and harder to access. Public land is a crap shoot anyway, as most of the farms and hunting clubs around public lands have cover and feed to keep the deer on those properties. Getting into hunting clubs is getting way to expensive with way to many rules and what you can harvest or not harvest. I am more interested in meat in the freezer than I am horns on the wall. Going outwest in just a pipe dream right now. With the hunt, license, travel, butcher cost and taxidermy cost, it is just out of reach right now, and besides I could not get that much time off of work. Just my opinion and kind of ranting.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Soft Market - 05/25/18
You are depressing.

Unfortunately, what you post is true, and common.
Posted By: pointer Re: Soft Market - 05/25/18
If I was in a situation like that, my gun/glass money would become hunting trip/lease/land money right quick...

I have pretty basic rifles/glass as I end up spending the money for that on hunts/trips.

Posted By: hanco Re: Soft Market - 05/25/18
It will come back someday!
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Soft Market - 05/26/18
Originally Posted by hanco
It will come back someday!

Always does.
Posted By: JeffyD Re: Soft Market - 05/26/18
No complaints here. I recently placed a M77 MkII in the classifieds of rugerforum.com, where it sat for two weeks with only a couple of lowball offers. Posted it here, and in eleven minutes received a three word reply, "I'll take it." I did sell it for a lower price than it 'could' have gone for, but I was happy, and the buyer is happy!
Posted By: g5m Re: Soft Market - 05/26/18
Good thread.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Soft Market - 05/26/18
22LR Redneck 401K's bit the dust, back to buying lottery tickets.
Posted By: Joseywales Re: Soft Market - 05/26/18
I had a small table at a show last week and my friend next to me - had two larger tables. He had a Thompson machine gun, 100 round drum, all correct parts, full auto group, etc., except the receiver was aluminum - a minor detail...which drops the price by about $32,000. Anyway, everyone fondled it, but it was interesting/encouraging that a few younger guys knew so much about the gun. We also had a young guy wearing British military hat and shirt, sold my friend a really clean British flare gun - darn near bough it myself, but if doesn't go bang, I'm trying to self-discipline!

Ever lift a tommy gun BTW? Holy cow are those things heavy. No wonder they "shouldered" them in the armpit
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: Soft Market - 05/26/18
Very soft market, the advent of factory rifles that shoot as well as customs and have semi-custom features themselves (ie Barrett Fieldcraft, Seekins Havak, etc) has driven the custom rifle resale prices way down.
I had a Beanland 260 for sale and was down to $2500 with no takers. It’s back in the safe now.
Posted By: BLR358WIN Re: Soft Market - 05/26/18
My father bought a used S@W 686 Stainless 357 Mag no dash with 8 and 3/8 inch barrel with box in 1984 for 225 bucks. I sold it for 1000 because I had no one in my family to pass it down to. I hated seeing it just sit in the safe. Now someone else can enjoy it. Deff not a soft market for older revolvers! Look at the crazy prices for Colt Pythons!!!!
Posted By: Seven_Heaven Re: Soft Market - 05/26/18
I'm still looking for that "soft market" priced Kimber 22LR. smile
Posted By: remingtonclassic Re: Soft Market - 05/26/18
No soft market on quality optics,Used Leupolds are as premium priced as I have ever seen,
© 24hourcampfire