Home
Few guys local wanted to build these so I asked Dave Manson to make me the reamer... (BEAUTIFUL WORKMANSHIP!!!)

[Linked Image]

Long story short... we are going to make a dozen or so barrels... Remington 700 (.223 boltface) and AR-15.

This is a pre-sale if you want a barrel (i.e. I am having my Smith make barrels this month and if you want one we will add you to the list).

Cost $250 shipped for R-700 and $270 shipped for an AR-15 barrel ($20 Del-Ton barrel extension).

-----------------------------------------------

Now what the heck is a .357AR?

It uses this brass... https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-cases/223-Basic/

and .357 or .358 pills...

[Linked Image]

.357AR, .223, .357 Magnum, 9mm

To deliver performance up to:

160 Grain Cutting Edge
Remington Case
26 Grains H110
Seat O.A.L 2.320"
Remington 7 1/2 Primer
Velocity: 2,421 @ 14 foot measurement point
Accuracy at:
100 Yards: 0.550"
200 Yards: 2.141"
300 Yards: 2.450"

https://matchgrademachine.com/encore-contender-357-magnum-maximum-load-development-results/

This is .357 MAX (rimmed) data... same as .357AR.

ALWAYS START LOW AND WORK UP!!!

FYI, I bought the reamer with .357 and .358 live pilots, so your choice.

Blanks will be Green Mountain (SS or CH)... 27" and 28" lengths.

More reading here... this guy has built a few and hunts with them... he seems like he is very smart.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/89-wildcat-cartridge-discussion/263822-357ar-max-rimless.html

Please drop me a PM if interested.

Be well

Wish you were having Savage small shanks chambered....

Great to see you are using a proper bullet Cutting Edge Bullets....https://cuttingedgebullets.com/358-160gr-er-extended-range-raptor

Have you tried CEB 150gr. Raptor....https://cuttingedgebullets.com/338-150gr-er-extended-range-raptor
Bump 1
Bump 2
Are the barrels 16" twist or 18.75"??
Originally Posted by Cowboybart

Blanks are 27" (.357) and 27" (.358) IIRC... so any length you want.

Twist is 1:20 (.357) and 1:14 (.358). Using Green Mountain Blanks
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by Cowboybart

Blanks are 27" (.357) and 27" (.358) IIRC... so any length you want.

Twist is 1:20 (.357) and 1:14 (.358). Using Green Mountain Blanks

FYI... I did six barrels last year in .358W... using these blanks (.358)... they all shoot amazingly well (1/2 MOA with cheap pills).

Green Mountain barrels take 30 to 60 rounds to wear in properly, but after that... everyone I have ever used shoot great... the worst is a .340 Bee (1 MOA), but that is probably the load more so than the barrel...
Final Bump... we are limiting this to 20 barrels... we are 18 now.

Specs go to my Smith on Monday and the offer will be closed. Reamer is pre-sold after this round of barrels.

IMHO... this is the ultimate AR-15 round for hunting (AND I have never even shot this caliber yet)... 357 MAX load data is G2G for deer and black bear. Tons of data on that round.

...Of course you can go to .375 SOCOM or .458 SOCOM, but then you need a different BCG etc.

This round also leaves .300 Blackout in the dust as a Sub round... using heavy GCed .358 leads
Had a PM asking about profiles...

Cut and paste of my response...

-------------------------------------------

I have a bunch of profiles we have used from the past (we have done about 50 barrels in 15 different calibers over the past 3 years).

From heavy to light... with and without threads.

I am happy to email you these profiles...

I also have a blank profile you can "fill in the blanks" if you don't like the other 8.

We did the same gig last year with 6x45 barrels (AR-15 and R700)

Did 9... pic is just 7... [Linked Image]

Parkerized well, just show grease in pics...

One of the heavy barrels 6x45 after about 60 rounds of wear in... three rounds at 100 yards

[Linked Image]

Brakes and case gauges are CHEAP also...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Be well, Leonard

19 pages of feedback if you have any question on Honor... http://www.vaguntrader.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/users/10071

------------------------

Found this goofing around and Holy Smoke that will be one HUGE SUB

[Linked Image]

340 grain pill in .358 diameter

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/358-340gr-single-feed-mth-match-tactical-hunting

-----------------------------------

.300 Blackout ain't got nothing on this caliber.

What barrel length are you running in the 357ar? It’s a sweet round. I’ve got 2 357 maxi’s one is a 14” pistol and the other is a 16.5” barreled maxi with 5r rifling in an encore setup. Awesome deer hunting rounder.
Originally Posted by remingtonman
What barrel length are you running in the 357ar? It’s a sweet round. I’ve got 2 357 maxi’s one is a 14” pistol and the other is a 16.5” barreled maxi with 5r rifling in an encore setup. Awesome deer hunting rounder.

I will probably build 10" and a 17" AR barrels for myself from one blank... I have SBR Stamps so kinda fun to play with short stuff. I also have a .375 can so short Subs kinda 2x fun.

If Starline didn't sell the brass (and it had to be made from .223)... this project would have never gotten off the ground. Likewise, if the BCG was "weird or custom sized"... would have been a non-starter as well.

We typically build at least one R700 as a load development/proof gun, but since a T/C can accommodate we are skipping that this time, but some of the guys are still doing R700s (presumably as uber quiet Sub guns). We have a few .357 MAX T/Cs in our local rat pack.
I've got to have one. PM inbound.
grin
Thanks
hi i love my 357 max but this uses rimless 357 max brass correct? and that wont fire in my max revlover
Originally Posted by IA_fog
...this uses rimless 357 max brass correct?

Correct... It uses this brass... https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-cases/223-Basic/
Wondering what twist is needed on those things at sub?

Nevermind....1:10....fast for a 35, but ballistics are nasty for a sub.
Sent a pm. Anyway to get one with Savage threads. If so I'm in. I don't know about gauges to set the headspace on a remington 700
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Wondering what twist is needed on those things at sub?

Nevermind....1:10....fast for a 35, but ballistics are nasty for a sub.

You are probably right on stability, but you never know until you try...

I run 730s in my .458 guns... stable for a while then they tumble like a railroad tie... I have three twists 1:10, 1:14 and 1:20 in .458 guns... final testing is not complete on them.

...and yes 730s are just plain silly... I know that, but they are still fun to show and tell at the range sometimes.
I'd like one, gotta do a quick bit of research on the twist I want.
I'd like mine in the 1:14 twist .358
Stainless if available
18 inches please
Originally Posted by RandyC
Stainless if available
18 inches please

Same for me please
I never wanted a AR. but I think I could get into this!!
Originally Posted by ballistim
Stainless if available
18 inches please

Same for me please

Thanks for the heads up Okie44!
Originally Posted by ballistim
Stainless if available
18 inches please

Same for me please

Thanks for the heads up Okie44!

grin
This Offer is now CLOSED...

Stating Publicly what I have also sent by PM or EMail...

----------------------------------------------

Long story short... Green Mountain dropped their $110 SS barrel blanks (i.e. it used to be both 27" CM and SS were $110... I know, because last year I built 6-7 .358 Winchesters using both SS and CM). I did NOT recheck this year... my bad.

They do have a $154 SS barrel blank now.

Bottomline, I said in my post I would build a barrel for $250 (R700) or $275 (AR-15)... AND I said you had your choice of CM or SS.

I DO NOT go back on my word... so I will do you a SS if you like at the quoted price... or you can do a CM (Parkerized) I won't have to eat the $40... or if you would like to meet me in the middle by adding $20 my haircut won't end up so severe... 100% your call... no hard feeling either way.

Be well, Leonard

P.S. We are also doing case gauges ($30) and muzzle brakes ($30)

P.S.S. I have a .357AR NO-GO gauge... it is loaned free, just mail it back after you check your rifle.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Repeat... This Offer is now CLOSED...
Make mine CM, 20" no threads just a target crown.

Thanks
Originally Posted by okie44
Make mine CM, 20" no threads just a target crown.

Thanks

Very good... Thanks!

Drafting PM/Emails.
Stainless if available
18 inches please

Please thread mine for a muzzle device.
So... friend of mine that was helping me with some load development for .358 Winchester... took some cheap blem #3510 Hornady's and some BS Amerc Powder... 7.62 Military brass (necked out to .358)...

On a Green Mountain cheapo .358 blank on a RR Remington 700 action and 3-9 Cabelas scope did these three at 100 yesterday...

[Linked Image]

Most of the .358W loads are running hot and fast with these pills with IMR-3031 and BL-C(2)... up to 2,640 FPS

These three were slow... only 2,240 FPS.

-------------------------------------

Why is any of the this relevant to .357 AR?

Same blanks (1:14 twist) and same pills... and similar speeds (maybe)... and a 20" barrel.

Been working on a idea called "Barrel Time Theory" with QL... i.e. cross-compatibility of various powders based solely on barrel time.

FYI... the load above was purely a blammo load for my .358W (i.e. speeds are 400 FPS slower than my .358W hunting loads).
SOLD the last one...

FYI... this caliber has been renamed to...

.358 Macho

It AIN'T NO PUP...

[Linked Image]
Is this the same cartridge as this? - https://mdws.forumchitchat.com/post/357ar-357maxrimless-8636138?&trail=25
Anyone that got one of these barrels, preferably one for a bolt action want to sale theirs? I am wanting to build my son a straight walled rifle
Case set rifle for here in Ohio.
Originally Posted by Tyrone

That's it... Moleman did a couple of gen changes on the reamer... we piggyback off of his last one. We also did TWO live pilots...

- One in .357 for the Green Mountain .357 1:20 blanks

- One in .358 for the Green Mountain .358 1:14 blanks

The reamer is being resharpened now (Manson) and is already pre-sold to another guy.

I AM NOT THE GUY TO DO MORE BARRELS... but if you want to order your own reamer... I am happy to share my knowledge on the process... where to buy extensions... profiles/specs as well as the top shelf Smith we used. Drop me a PM.
Originally Posted by spook1
Anyone that got one of these barrels, preferably one for a bolt action want to sale theirs? I am wanting to build my son a straight walled rifle

If you can wait Winchester is coming out with a new cartridge 350 Legend.....its longer than the 357 AR.....

https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2019/01/21/shot-2019-winchester-new-350-legend/
Originally Posted by coyotewacker
Originally Posted by spook1

If you can wait Winchester is coming out with a new cartridge 350 Legend.....its longer than the 357 AR.....

https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2019/01/21/shot-2019-winchester-new-350-legend/

Set one up to pre fit for the Ruger American Rifle, with a better nut than stock and they'd sell well.
SO... while trimming some .223 Basic brass for my friend Danny... I decided to leave the trimmer set at 1.595" and try a couple of pieces of 5.56...

It is showing promise...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IMHO it will require a neck expand and a retrim, BUT brass is basically free... and maybe, just maybe a 1.592" trim would leave the brass at 1.595" after the expand (eliminating the retrim step), but alas I am only good at trial and error vs. "real Trigonometry", but maybe y'all want to try this...

AND MAYBE... This is why the .350 Legend is 1.710" and not 1.595"... to keep us cheapskates from doing just this.

Just pondering
This might work... for bulk production... neck expander and decapper...

Zip the 5.56 brass with a WFT (World's Finest trimmer)... then pop the case mouth with this.

Annealing would help, but MIGHT NOT be mandatory...

Just thinking... My numbers might be wrong, but you get the general idea.

Lee Universal decapper... or a big RCBS something (.458 etc)

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire