Home
Posted By: Duvel 400 Whelen Winchester Model 70 - 01/01/19
I had this built a while back and its just sat in the safe. Never fired it. It’s a New Haven Winchester 70 control round feed action, 24” shilen barrel, NECG sights, and one piece steel bottom metal(can remember the brand of bottom metal). It uses the original 400 Whelen chamber specs. No headspace issues. Comes with a new set of CH4D dies and 90 pcs of new Quality Cartirdge 400 Whelen Brass. Action is very smooth, and feeds good. Can also use 35 Whelen brass and fireform. A 400 grain bullet at ~2150fps is pretty good medicine. $1400 shipped CONUS for the rifle, dies, and brass. Sorry for the crappy pictures. The gun was oily and as soon as the 15 degree air hit it, it turned all the fingerprints to rainbows. The bluing is perfect.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Awesome
Elmer Keith would.have loved that one !
Tag
And as usual, I’ll also offer a good ole boy layaway.
That's a good deal on a great rifle. If someone wants a 400 Whelen your all set with this one.

Originally Posted by Duvel
It uses the original 400 Whelen chamber specs.

Free bump for a cool rifle. What does "original" chamber spec mean? 0.454" body diameter at beginning of shoulder?
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Originally Posted by Duvel
It uses the original 400 Whelen chamber specs.

Free bump for a cool rifle. What does "original" chamber spec mean? 0.454" body diameter at beginning of shoulder?

See chamber reamer print below. All thanks to Michael Petrov, rest his soul, in doing the research required to keep this cartridge alive and dispel the myth of poor headspacing.

[Linked Image]
To All,

In case some members are wondering , the .400 Whelen (and its 1st cousin, the .400 Brown-Whelen Improved) does NOT have a brutal kick, like the belted-magnums DO. - Instead, the rifles PUSH you.
(An Ithaca 12 gauge pump has worse recoil.)

Fwiw, as "the resident pump-rifle addict", I'm about to have Jessie at JES rebore/rechamber a 09/1955 Model 760 "corncob-stock" .30-06 (with a poor bore) into a .400B-WI & that I bought for "peanuts" at a local garage sale. - Once Jessie does his magic on the 760, I will mount a good-quality 2X scope (out of a garage sale) on it, as I no longer SEE open/peep sights well at all.
(I already have a similar rifle from JES in 9,3x62mm Mauser, topped with a 2.5X Leopold & don't really NEED a .400. Instead, I just WANT one to take to Africa in 2020 for Cape Buffalo.)

Fwiw, a "DANGEROUS GAME" rifle for less than 350.ooUSD is "a screaming bargain", imo.

yours, tex
That thing is screaming for a nice piece of walnut.
Originally Posted by magshooter1
That thing is screaming for a nice piece of walnut.

Yes it is!
PM on the way. Let's keep it in Misery. Rusty
Pm replied
magshooter1,

LOTS of hunters like the synthetic stocks for hunting in places with routinely BAD weather.

Fwiw, I have a 12-gauge riot gun & a 5.56NATO police carbine. BOTH are FINE "out in the wet" but NOT handsome.. - Nonetheless, I truly LIKE fine walnut & other traditional stocks.

just my OPINION, tex
Free Bump to get the BIG BORE into a hunter's hands..
Bump for an awesome rifle!
Thanks for all the free bumps, just need someone to buy it before I change my mind. It would be nice to use the money to pay for my schoolbooks this semester, rediculous how expensive they are!
It’s a beautiful rifle. I hope it sells soon. I’ve been watching and sweating.
Duvel,

Understood 100%.

I'm planning to go to nursing school next Fall & the cost of books/supplies for RN school is just NUTS.

Sincerely, DarlaG
I had a conversation about this rifle with my buddy Snellstrom who posts a lot over on AR on the .400 Whelen. If I could figure out what I'd actually use it for I'd buy this, as it is well below cost to build. I have a ton of rifles I bought that don't get used, I'm trying to kick that habit.

Bump for a good deal.
Originally Posted by taylorce1
I had a conversation about this rifle with my buddy Snellstrom who posts a lot over on AR on the .400 Whelen. If I could figure out what I'd actually use it for I'd buy this, as it is well below cost to build. I have a ton of rifles I bought that don't get used, I'm trying to kick that habit.

Bump for a good deal.

I hear that. Maybe we could split use every other fall.... whistle
FREE BUMP.
Bump...
Bump...
If only it was a lefty.
I would consider a partial trade for a new or like new HK USP Compact in 9mm.
I would also consider a P239 in 357 Sig for trade.
Originally Posted by taylorce1

Bump for a good deal.

The better question is what CAN'T you use it for?? Join me and Snellstrom on the dark side. Buy it. I may have a few fancy M70 stocks that could live happily with this gun
Bump for a cool rifle.
Bump...
I've got a fancy French- Walnut all decked out un believable stock with Sunny Hill deep well magazine that currently has a M70 300 Weatherby in it. This thig would sure look good in it.

Phil
Bump!!! Would like to get this sold.
Price drop... $1350 shipped
Guys, if any of you are remotely considering a 400 Whelen, you won't get into one for what Duvel wants for this one. This is a smoking deal. It's no secret I'm a huge fan of the 400 Whelen. If you have any interest in big bore rifles and have always wondered about the 400 Whelen, do yourself a favor and buy this rifle. I have no interest in it, nor do I have any connection with Duvel. I know what it costs to put together a rifle like this and you won't get into another one for less. Think of it a 450-400 magazine rifle.
Someone needs to snag this!
bump
Just because some have asked, price is $1200 shipped without the brass and dies.
I will also consider a trade for a Winchester Super Express in 416 Rem.
Bump
Originally Posted by mart
Bump

Mart,

I appreciate the help. This will certainly make someone a nice rifle.

And for those that don’t know, fireforming 35 Whelen brass in the 400 Whelen is quite easy.
Price drop... Package is $1300 shipped, $1150 without brass and dies.
I’ll still offer the layaway as mentioned earlier in the thread.
BBTTT.

yours, tex
I’ll give this a little longer, then it’s off to Gunbroker I guess.
Withdrawn. Posting on Gunbroker.
I just joined this forum to get some help/advice on loads for the 400 Whelen, as in doing some research I have seen that some guys on here have the 400 Whelen. I have read an have a copy of Mr. Petrov's articles on the research he did on this neat old wildcat. And guess what, I do believe this is the very rifle I just got off of Gunbroker!
I bought this rifle, what stocks do you have that may fit it. Don't know if I'll change it out but I do love wood and would love to see what you have.
I have expanded 35 Whelen without annealing with my full-length sizer did, loaded 63gr of H4895 behind a 300gr Hornady .411 diameter bullet. The cases fireformed for the 400 Whelen perfectly. They also chonographed at 2460 fps. Counting rifle, gunsmithing costs, brass, bullets,and dies I'm into my 400 Whelen $1500.
© 24hourcampfire