Home
For sale are 5 mature buck antelope hunts on my family’s ranch in Unit 56 of New Mexico. The ranch is 5800 acres in the northeastern part of the state.

I’d much prefer to sell the hunts to a group of good hunters but might entertain singles and/or doubles.

One buck per hunter (by law) and each hunt is $1800. The $1800 does not include NM license and habitat fees, ect, that the state collects. This is an unguided hunt but hunters will be given a map and advised and oriented. We try to set you up for success. Guided 1x1 hunts in the area are $3600.

This year has been a very wet so far. Range conditions and horn growth are excellent.

Our doe tags will not be sold, so there will be no doe hunters to get in the way of the buck hunters. The ranch is 100% private land so there are no state hunters hunting either.

The possible hunt dates are August 17-19 or 24-26. We’re only going to hunt one or the other. Opening weekend is the best/easier hunting, but if a group wants to buy all of the tags and hunt the later window, that will work. Otherwise the hunt will be the 17-19 dates.

The ranch is not close to a town. Hunters may camp in or around our large barn that has running water and a full bath in it. Hunters usually set up cots in the barn and sleep with the doors open, though some hunters opt to sleep in campers they bring. Days are usually mild but can be warm. Nights are pleasant.

Hunters are expected to know and follow the NM hunting regulations.

Please follow an “I’ll take it” immediately with contact info in a private message. Payment is expected to be received quickly thereafter. If you fail to do so, I’ll have no choice but to re-list the tags quickly - August will be here soon.

I’ll post some photos later. Thank you.
[Linked Image]

My 2017 buck.
My 2018 buck. That's a 243 case for reference. He had stickers on the backs of both horns.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Can you tell us what unit it is located in? Also, could you let us know if there are any state or blm lands within the boundaries or nearby? The closest community for fuel and supplies would be ??? Thanks much-Jim
As I mentioned in the original post, the ranch is in unit 56 and is 100% private land. The ranch is about half way between Raton and Clayton.
<^>
How hard is it to obtain tags for that unit?
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog
As I mentioned in the original post, the ranch is in unit 56 and is 100% private land. The ranch is about half way between Raton and Clayton.

Free bump.

We head through that very country, hwy 64, every year on our way to hunt elk in Raton or Eagle Nest. Folks, this area is prime pronghorn habitat. We always see em everywhere along that route and good bucks are very plentiful. I’d be looking very hard at this area if I didn’t already have a pronghorn hunt booked.
Originally Posted by Plumdog
How hard is it to obtain tags for that unit?

It's easy. Antelope tags are now over the counter.
Originally Posted by Godogs57

Free bump.

We head through that very country, hwy 64, every year on our way to hunt elk in Raton or Eagle Nest. Folks, this area is prime pronghorn habitat. We always see em everywhere along that route and good bucks are very plentiful. I’d be looking very hard at this area if I didn’t already have a pronghorn hunt booked.

Thank you. We do have a lot of antelope!
Originally Posted by Godogs57

Free bump.

Thank you. We do have a lot of antelope!

I’ll honk and wave when we come through in August and again in late September.
I have hunted this ranch for the past 5 years running and know the owner & poster personally. He’s solid gold and if he tells you something about these goats, you can take it to the bank. I’m unable to go this year and that’s why there’s 5 tags available instead of 4. This is a beautiful ranch and there are literally hundreds of pronghorn that are on it daily.
If you’re looking for a private land ranch that will give you a chance at a trophy Pronghorn, you should give this a long, hard look. I don’t know that you can find a better opportunity. Good luck.
Ted is a great guy, and this is a great ranch to hunt on! I shot my first antelope on this ranch. Love it!

[Linked Image]
Damn wish I wasn't booked up for this year already...
Lots of antelope in this country.
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I have hunted this ranch for the past 5 years running and know the owner & poster personally. He’s solid gold and if he tells you something about these goats, you can take it to the bank. I’m unable to go this year and that’s why there’s 5 tags available instead of 4. This is a beautiful ranch and there are literally hundreds of pronghorn that are on it daily.
If you’re looking for a private land ranch that will give you a chance at a trophy Pronghorn, you should give this a long, hard look. I don’t know that you can find a better opportunity. Good luck.

Many thanks! I look forward to having you come back!
Originally Posted by clark98ut
Ted is a great guy, and this is a great ranch to hunt on! I shot my first antelope on this ranch. Love it!

[Linked Image]

Thank you, sir. I remember that rifle! That thing was a hammer.
Its probably too late for me to scrape up the money. get the time off from work, and be properly prepared but I have a few questions for a hopeful future hunt. What is the average shot distance? What minimum distance should I be proficient at to maximize my opportunities? What kind of physical shape should one be in for these hunts? Also, I don't have any friends who are willing to put down this kind of money for a hunt. Is there a way to be put on some kind of waiting list to see if there is anyone else who is in the same boat as me who would not mind sharing a 2x1 guide with a stranger?
I’d say my average shot is 200. I recommend a guy be able to drop into a sitting position and quickly drill a target the size of a volleyball at 300 yards. Shooting sticks or bipods are fine if needed. The ability to shoot further is great too but be sure you can.

The ranch isn’t very steep but is higher than Denver so you need to be able to walk a mile or two at over a mile high. The better shape you’re in, the better you shoot, so there’s no such thing as “too good a shape.”

You can DM your contact info if you’d like. Mind you, as I mentioned above it’s not a guided hunt so there is no 2x1 guided hunt.
[Linked Image]

Not the biggest buck I ever killed at the ranch but maybe the prettiest.
I was asked how hard this hunt is physically. If you can walk a mile or two across rolling country you should be good. I think it's the easiest western big game hunting there is physically.
The question of tags has come up. Antelope tags are now over the counter in New Mexico, so there's no drawing involved.

The tags can be purchased in Clayton or Raton. They can also be purchased online and mailed to you, as long as you buy them at least two weeks in advance.
Tag I am watching this working on a group.

Jack
There are now 4 hunts available and the hunt will definitely be on Aug. 17-19.
Tag for future reference. Thanks!
Bump for a great ranch to hunt antelope. Ted is as honest as they come.

I've hunted this ranch three times over the years, it has a lot of antelope on it, some nice ones too.
You'll likely not find a better deal for a private ranch antelope hunt.
Originally Posted by tx270
Bump for a great ranch to hunt antelope. Ted is as honest as they come.

I've hunted this ranch three times over the years, it has a lot of antelope on it, some nice ones too.
You'll likely not find a better deal for a private ranch antelope hunt.

Thanks, Bill!
Saturday bump
I was asked if this is a good hunt for kids. It is. We've had 12 and 14 year olds fill tags before. It's a great family hunt.
Up
Two hunts are spoken for.

We have three remaining.
Four hunts are spoken for now. One remains available.
Is this just for one hunter?
Yes, there's only one hunt left and it's for one hunter.
bump for a great hunt and a great host.
Thank you sir!
The hunts are now spoken for. Thanks everyone.
And a hunter backed out right after that last post. So I'm back to having an opening for a single.
How did the hunters do? Any pictures? I have to try this and hoping for a spot next year, God willing.
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
How did the hunters do? Any pictures? I have to try this and hoping for a spot next year, God willing.

Curious as well
The top 4 pictures are mine,sorry but I tried a doz. times to load photo's but couldn't get it done.

Greg

https://www.refugeforums.com/threads/any-antelope-hunters.1049995/
© 24hourcampfire