Home
What would a marlin 336 44mag saddlering carbine in 95+ condition be worth.. I have a chanch to buy one locally and would like to know if they are rare , and what to offer for it.. please answer your basic opnion tonight as I am going to meet the seller tomorrow ..I am going by his word as to condition...he said it has a walnut stock... I wont buy it unless it is in like new condition... Thanks
$700 give or take. It will be walnut. The cross bolt safety is a deduct
Not really rare. You see them now and again. I've seen them priced anywhere from $700 to a grand. I would rather have the 336 because my 1894 had feeding problems as the case with most of them in the .44 mag.
That's a near perfect 445 Supermag rechamber platform!

I would say closer to 1K if the condition really is 95%+.

Thanks, Dinny
Originally Posted by Diablero
I would rather have the 336 because my 1894 had feeding problems as the case with most of them in the .44 mag.

Are you saying the 1894’s were more problematic? It’s the 336-44’s that had jamming issues IIRC
Originally Posted by Jahrs
Originally Posted by Diablero
I would rather have the 336 because my 1894 had feeding problems as the case with most of them in the .44 mag.

Are you saying the 1894’s were more problematic? It’s the 336-44’s that had jamming issues IIRC

My 1894 had problems. 2 guys that I bear hunt with have the 336 in .44 mag and they have both never had a problem. Just what I've seen. Maybe most of the 1894's don't have a problem. Maybe they are all wanderful, don't know. More than likely with the luck I have, I had a lemon. Just my opinion and not going to start a debate. I've got to get stuff ready to run bears in the morning. Take care.
Make sure that saddle ring is original and not a replacement for the push button safety. If it's a true JM saddle ring carbine and in 95% I'd say $700 is a starting point around here. If it's a Remlin with aftermarket parts it's worth a whole lot less IMO.
Originally Posted by bbassi
If it's a Remlin with aftermarket parts it's worth a whole lot less IMO.

Has a 336 in 44 Mag been made since Remington bought Marlin?

Thanks, Dinny
How can I tell if it had a safety, and someone had it removed..? I am going to look at it in about an hour...Thanks.
Originally Posted by Hubert
How can I tell if it had a safety, and someone had it removed..? I am going to look at it in about an hour...Thanks.

Take a photo or two
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by Hubert

Take a photo or two

The Marlin 336 in 44 mag was discontinued before the Marlin safety was introduced in 1983 from my memory.
WELL I went and bought it. I was disappointed in that it was not a saddlering. but iis in very good condition wood is not beat up at all. and bluing is probably 90% or more and I just love the way it handles.. it has a sling, but the sling is attached to the magazine tube. and stock. no blems in the wood and bluing.. the serial # begins with a Z I believe Z=1964 date of manufacturing. also has a JM stamp on the R side of the barrel.. it says 44 mag, so I am assuming a 44 special ammo can also be used in it.. all screw heads are perfect nothing buggered. my camera battery is dead, so as soon as I can I will try to add a few pictures.. barrel is 20 inches. I will shoot as soon as possible I am happy with it so far.
While 44 Special ammo can be shot, it may not feed well. Make it a 445 SM!

Thanks, Dinny
Originally Posted by bbassi
Make sure that saddle ring is original and not a replacement for the push button safety. If it's a true JM saddle ring carbine and in 95% I'd say $700 is a starting point around here. If it's a Remlin with aftermarket parts it's worth a whole lot less IMO.

They were only made during the 1960s.
Thanks Huntz! I knew something wasn't adding up right.

Thanks, Dinny
© 24hourcampfire