Home
Lots of you guys know I homeschool (5 boys!) Part of our curriculum is doing REAL stuff in the REAL world... This is one of the latest...

My 15yo son, Alex, is bringing the Budget Bushcraft Pack Skinner back to the RainShadow Shop!

Had a TON of people love these little knives! Made with sawmill bandsaw blade steel and micarta grips, sheathed in kydex thermoplastic. Shaving sharp, amazing edge retention and toughness, handy and cheap!

This one is SOLD... He's planning to make more as he has time, so they can be ordered.

Alex is meticulous and detail oriented, he's learned under supervision (and the heat treating will remain under supervision, these are wicked cutters, and they will always be.) His work is as good as mine on these!

This one is now representative, the style and size is almost always the same. 7 1/2 OAL, give or take.

Let me know if you want to order one. The time frame will vary, but no payments will be accepted until you approve the finished work!

$50 delivered

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]budget1b by Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]budget1a by Steve Tormala, on [bleep]
That looks like a great pattern. I would take one if he makes more. Send me a PM when he finishes it. Great you are teaching a young man a skill
Will Do!
Cool I’d like one too but do you have white micarta?
I'll take one !

Get started Alex , smile .
I will take one just to support your efforts. PM me when ready with payment details.
Thanks Mikes! I'll put you both on the list.

Brown micarta, and it's possible to find some black, but not guaranteed. I don't have any white. (Once he gets built up a little he can buy his own materials! Won't be for awhile, he's gotta do school sometime, and I coparent him and he doesn't have any shop at his mom's.)
Looks very nice

I would like to support his efforts.

Put me down for one.
PM when it’s time to send funds.

Thanks
Bill
I will take one once another batch is made up.

Let me know when its time to send the funds.
Put me down for one too, PM me when you need funds.
Great job teaching that young man!
Thank You Bill, ihunt, and Duckhunt… Really appreciate your supporting him in this.

We were just talking about insurance and gas money when he turns 16 in May, and how he was going to cover that himself....

The timeline might be getting pushed out there now, and he's scheduled to switch to his mom soon. I have him half the time, two weeks on and off. I'll keep him moving when he's here, and there will be no obligation when I do get back to you. Buy if you want to then. Hopefully it won't be too long, but some of you might be the end of the month.
Very cool... do we have choices on the handle/ stock material?
Please put me down for one, just like the one pictured . PM me when completed. Thanks.
Tag
Originally Posted by rainshadow1
Thank You Bill, ihunt, and Duckhunt… Really appreciate your supporting him in this.

We were just talking about insurance and gas money when he turns 16 in May, and how he was going to cover that himself....

The timeline might be getting pushed out there now, and he's scheduled to switch to his mom soon. I have him half the time, two weeks on and off. I'll keep him moving when he's here, and there will be no obligation when I do get back to you. Buy if you want to then. Hopefully it won't be too long, but ''''''''''''''''''''''some of you might be the end of the month''''''''''''''.

Like ...
You're on the list poleman.

Options, No not yet, he needs to make some money on the brown that we already have before he branches out and buys micarta for himself!

I'll keep the thread posted as he gets knives done and approved by me, and then by those of you on the list.
I’ll take one. Let me know when to send payment.
Thanks, forester. I'll be in touch!
These three have been buyer approved and paid for...

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]budget1c by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]budget1d by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]budget1e by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

This is Alex (No Sunglasses) and his brother David (Sunglasses, the one doing pens in my shop) last Spring when we passed thru Loooziana!

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]dcbc2 by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]
I'd take one just like the top one of the 3 pictured. If you wouldn't mind emailing me when its ready, I'll send funds asap. [email protected] will find me every time. I'd love to help your son as my wife and I (OK, mainly the wife!) homeschool our daughter. When she gets older, she's likely gonna build AR's with me so I have some of the same pleasures as you to look forward to. Kindest regards, George
Put me down for one when one is available. Let me know when and where to send the money.
I’ll take one too! Let me know when you need payment.
gman, 1309, and dk, you're all on the list, thank you very much! Likely several weeks, but I will be in touch, and no obligation, your call when they're ready.

gman, I can't really describe the rewards of keeping your kids home... it's FAR from easy, but for whatever reason you do it, it's so unbelievably worth it! It doesn't work in every situation, but when you can... boy, I sure recommend it! There's plenty of group stuff to plug into, they don't need to be in the building full of people every day!

Thanks guys. Very much appreciate your encouraging Alex like this!
Here's a couple more that have been approved and paid for...

I inspect everything and I oversee the heat treating and the sharpening... they are shavers!

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]budget1g by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]budget1f by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

Will get to the next guys on the list in awhile, thanks so much for supporting Alex in this, and we will get back to everyone... it just might take awhile. Again, no payment up front, and no obligation when we get to you.
I’ll take one. Pm me when it’s done with where to send the money. Thanks
MIjackpine, you're on the list. It'll be a few weeks... Thanks!
Please add me to the list as well. Have small to medium hands it that makes any difference in the handle/grip. Thanks,

Steve
Kids today are nothing but lazy trouble make.....

Huh? A 15 year old kid making knives? Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit.

Those are great! Dude needs to start a pattern catalog!
Got you on the list, citrisdude.

Yeah, he's nothing but trouble!
I'm in for one
I'll take one like is pictured on the first post
117lbs and dbettis, you're on the list, it will be several weeks. I'll be in touch! Thank you!
Put me on the list for one please
Please add me to the wait list as well. I'd gladly take one and help support this.

Adam
Make me a copy of the one on the front page.
Yooper, red, and mjb you're all on the list, it will be over a month, but I'll be in touch! Thanks very much!
Count me in as well!
Jwood, you're on the list. Thank you!
Tag for later, need to move first!
Latest buyer approved and heading out.... actually shaved on my face with this one!

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]budget1h by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]
Latest buyer approved and heading out.... actually shaved on my face with this one!

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]budget1h by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

I like this one
That's the "basic" shape we're working on. But when he's doing them I'm not going to be too picky about exactness... The fundamentals in a one-off situation don't force uniformity... they all vary a little, and I'm not going to distract him with the variance! I'd rather focus on the geometry, consistency, structural integrity… then send you a picture to approve or reject!
Please add me to the list.
Tater and Reload1, are on the list... it will be awhile...
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]heattreat1 by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

Alex is back in the shop! He's trying to get another 10 done this round! Heat treating...
LIKE !!!

http://https://flic.kr/p/2iqMvSe

I would take one of each of these 2 types.

I can't get the second image to show up properly.

Let me know how you want payment and when you're ready.
I'll put you on the list and send a message Tarkio...
That's the "basic" shape we're working on. But when he's doing them I'm not going to be too picky about exactness... The fundamentals in a one-off situation don't force uniformity... they all vary a little, and I'm not going to distract him with the variance! I'd rather focus on the geometry, consistency, structural integrity… then send you a picture to approve or reject!

I'll take one too
I'll put you on the list, Ribka. I'll be in touch. Thank you!
Looks good! Put me on the list, too. Thanks!
Will do, Ricky D, thanks!
I hope I'm on the list somewhere...I replied by PM awhile back...no rush.
You are... and you're right on the cut line of this batch! Hope they all make it all the way through the process!
Will post a few here now, need to post the rest of this round tomorrow...

These are all approved and claimed by their buyers...

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]budget2a by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]budget2b by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]budget2c by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

Ended up getting 8 out of him this time here, not bad considering the playing music at church, and snowboarding, and a frenzy workout with the HS football team, and all the other stuff we cram into life! Proud of this kid, I'll tell you what!

Will post the rest of this batch tomorrow...
Very cool. Put me down for one if he makes more, please.
You're on the list Ccard. Thanks!
Here's the other 5 this round... All these are claimed and either pending or paid for.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]budget2d by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]budget2e by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]budget2f by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]budget2g by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]budget2h by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

Next time he's home it'll be for two weeks, so I hope he gets a big batch (or two smaller ones) done that round.
Payment mailed , second to last knife pic is mine i think .
Thanks ol mike, it's in a package with your name on it!
I’ll take one. Pm me for details and I’ll get payment out the door
Rainshadow sign me up for one as well!! Happy to support the young man! Pm me when and where to send payment.

Thanks!
Put me down for one too. No rush. I'd prefer a shorter, fatter one, but will accept whatever happens. Great to see young men working with their hands.
Very happy to put you on the list, guys! 240, slap, and Chum, you're on the list. I'll be in touch with you but it'll be awhile.

I really appreciate you guys encouraging him like this! Means a lot, and it's getting his first entrepreneurial effort off the ground in an exciting way for him. (He can afford driving now without worrying about getting gas and insurance paid for!)
Put me in the queue as well. Please PM details on payment as you have time.
Will do, loneoak, than you!
Got to thinking about this thread just now while I was on hold with NICS for almost 2 hours (Covid is great for the gun biz!) and see I might be getting close to the top of the list, woo hoo! Remember, email is the best way to get me as I haven't been on here for several weeks but I check my email several times a day: thegman1763 at gmail.com. Looking forward to hearing from you and awesome to see a young man becoming successful. Thanks, George
You got it George. You're right on the bubble for the next batch, but I have him for 3 weeks starting Monday, so I hope he gets 2 maybe 3 batches built. I'm pushing him!
Awesome to see the support for this young man’s efforts. Please add me to the queue, Rainshadow.
Will do, GW. Really appreciate it! (It will be awhile!)
Got Ol Mike's pmt today, seems like the mails have slowed significantly.....
Knife came while I was at my hunting lease for 5 days , nice little knife .
It's pretty sharp but i'm going to give it the Lansky 20* treatment + a stropping this evening .

Thanks Steve & Alex !!
I’ll take 2 when ready. PM incoming.
Thanks Ol Mike! I make him or his brother or myself shave with all of them, or they don't pass!

Got you on the list, Bowman.
Here's 4 more that have passed under the sneeze guard at the Post Office!

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]budget3a by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]budget3b by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]budget3c by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]budget3d by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

Alex is here, sheltering in place for another week. He's working on a large batch this time. Hoping to knock another 10 out.....
Received mine today...nice Job !
Here's some of the latest....

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]budget4f by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]budget4e by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]budget4d by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]budget4c by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]budget4b by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]budget4a by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

5 more to come from the "4" batch after they get selected and paid for....
Here's 3 more buyer approved...

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]budget4i by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]budget4h by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]budget4g by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

Alex comes back home for two weeks tomorrow, he'll get one or two more batches built... I hope.

Running low on phenolic micarta, but we'll look for more, and switch to hardwoods in the meantime. (Different set of skills, mounting wood scales!)

Again, all knives will be buyer approved before arranging payments, so if you wanted one thing and we show you another, then it isn't a problem. No obligations, we'll make more! This is school!

Thanks Again, to all of you who are supporting Alex in this. He's taking to it, and it's sinking in as a trade skill. Who knows what he'll end up doing, he's a football freak, and a very accomplished musician (fiddle, texas guitar, classical guitar, electric guitar, etc), and he really likes the idea of wildlife biology... But through you guys, he's also seeing the reality of bringing income through sweat and skilled hands. I genuinely appreciate it, guys. Thank You!
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]batch5 by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

This was Alex's first batch with wood. He did great, didn't crack any of them out. Had really good lines and bonds and pin work... Proud Dad moment here, this is kind of a graduation! Hardwoods are tough, but not like Micarta, and he handled them like a pro!

"Wenge" hardwood makes for a really cool look on these budget blades!

I'll be presenting this pic with numbers on the sides to the guys who are next on the list, with the exception of the pen guys, because I don't want the pens waiting around, risking damage or loss... (there are kids in the house!)

My other son, David (just turned 14yo) is making the pens and letter openers. $20 each. These pictured are ordered and pre-sold, but let me know if you want him to make a pen or two for you!

Thanks guys, sit tight, I'll get to ya!
Didn’t get any completely DONE this time at Home, but he did get a BUNCH started, almost got ten done, and he’s setting up a shop at his mom’s where he can continue working... it won’t be long now!

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]thisweek by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]
This batch took awhile, but I'm really happy about it, because Alex did work at both shops on these! These were worked on in both sides of the State! My house and his Mom's house. (We're setting himself and his brother up to do knives and pens/letter openers/tops etc. over there too.) So, hopefully no more down time!

I'll be contacting the next ten knife orders to see if they want to choose from this pic... This batch is also Wenge.

You'll be contacted in order.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]InkedJune25bb by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

Next batch will be a mix of micarta, Maple, and I'm not sure what all else.

Soon!
Got mine. About as sharp as you can make a piece of metal. Kid has some talent smile
Thanks!

Been WAY too long, but lots of life been happening! Here's another 9 Alex just got finished up, I'll be hand inspecting and contacting the next 9 guys....

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Inkedaug18batch_LI by Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

R are Maple, L are Micarta.
Which one of you is Doug?!?! Got a payment without a user name on it!
got mine today. Looks to be a well crafted knife for a young man. I look forward to seeing what he can do with more experience.
Rainshadow Jr puts out another batch... finally. (School is slowing things down a little!)

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Inkedbk1_LI by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

I will be sending messages to the next 10 on the list...
How long is the waiting list?
Originally Posted by BamaCKC
How long is the waiting list?

This - but put me on the list - Micarta with one of the more "slender" blade profiles.
I'm not in a big hurry.
Add me to the list as well. Hoping for something similar to #5 or #8 on the pic two messages up.
I'd like a couple of knives, just let me know when it's my turn.
I would like one like #6.
I’ll take one!!! Just let me know where and how much much and I’ll send funds on over.
[email protected]
I will take a knife and a letter opener. Prefer something like #5 in blade and micarta.

Thanks,

Dean
Any estimate on wait time and what method of payment? Thanks Rodney
Just realized in my above post that I didn't ask to be put on the list....Please put me on the list! Thanks!
BamaCKC
MarkShubert
MedRiver
TrueGrit x2
Huntz
Bmbk
Kudu3

You're all on the list now.

That makes the list about 40 knives out. Again, busy high school kid (family, school, guitar - worship teams at church and two youth groups, football, girl, hunting, fishing, dog training, etc) doing his best, subcontracting some busy work with his penmaking brother now to try to keep things moving, but it'll be awhile!

No obligation when I get to you, just look at the batch and decide then. (Paypal, mailed payments, can even figure out CC if you add 3%.) No hard feelings if things change. None at all. I know how long the wait is/has been.
Please put me on the list. Prefer a skinning curve to the blade and a handle made for an xxl hand.
strosfan is on the list, Thanks!
Put me on the list. Thanks
Put me on the list also. Not any preference on style. Just let me know.
Thanks for putting me on the list. Don’t loose any sleep or let school slack trying to get my knife made. It wouldn’t matter if I didn’t ever get it as long as everyone is busy and out of trouble. I’m here when it’s ready. Again thanks for adding me to the list and good luck
Bmbk
Thanks bmbk.

Dallas and hunter are also on the list.
Please put me on the list.
Ok, Yetti. Thanks!
Steve,
Put me on the list please.
Thanks gonzaga, you're on it...
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]8 by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

Latest batch... Left side 1,2,3,4 top to bottom, Right side 1,2,3,4 top to bottom.

Will contact the next guys on the list!
Nice work! Please add me to the list.
You got it, Mike
Put me down
Put me down for one as well. Thanks!
SU35 and ty98zr I've got you both on the list, thanks!
I will take 10 of them, no hurry on them they are going to be deer camp gifts for next season. If you could do a variety on the scales that would be appreciated. Any chance there is a bird and trout blade in their box of skills
Originally Posted by Irving_D
I will take 10 of them, no hurry on them they are going to be deer camp gifts for next season. If you could do a variety on the scales that would be appreciated. Any chance there is a bird and trout blade in their box of skills

Will do! Thanks! I'll have them do a variety of blade styles too... very good experience! Really appreciate it!
Just unpacked the first deer with this little blade. Light, nibble, stayed sharp enough through the experience and cleaned up easy afterwards, only needing very light work to get the edge back to shaving sharp. It didn’t do as well as my s30v or s35vn, but did much better in edge retention than anything I’ve used in 420 or d2.

Well done.
Thanks 117
I really like the look of that last batch. Put me on the list and great job on this enterprise!
Thanks Scott, marked you down...
RainShadow2 (with subcontracting work by RainShadow3) turned out another batch of Walnut Budget Bushcraft Pack Skinners! (I oiled the Walnut with Teak Oil after the pics...)

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]126279565_4053276744702401_227024211881511766_n by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]126871128_4053276784702397_5586559135066752284_n by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]126928437_4053276861369056_6795336576487301484_n by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

I will be contacting the next guys on the list for Dibs!
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]rs3 by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

RainShadow3 (My 14yo son, David - RainShadow2's subcontractor) got a set or three of letter openers and pens out to present to previous inquirers.

If any of you want one, or a matched set, or ???... David is looking for customers!

Send me a message if you're interested!

Thanks!
The boys finished up another batch before Christmas, but I haven't been able to get them inspected and ready for you guys until now...

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]InkedB_LI by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

I will be contacting the next guys on the list.

Let me know if you'd like to be on the list! $50 delivers
L3

Send me payment info And I'll get it sent
I'll take two of them ( L4 & R2 )

Sending pm for payment info
I'll take two of them ( L4 & R2 )

Sending pm for payment info
I think I am on the list. If not, put me on.
BamaCKC you have L3, will send a message.

Peanut, met you on message, get in line!

Dallased , next batch should reach you!
Put me down for 3.
Blixen
On the list, Blixen, Thanks!
If you are still offering these knives I'd like to be on the list for two. Thanks.
Rgates
I'll make sure you're on it, Rgates, thanks!
A small batch of 4 for now...

Another batch coming soon...

(He's playing football and has a girlfriend now, so......)

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]4 by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

I will contact the next 4 knives worth of guys, then, like I said, another batch soon...

Thanks for being patient!
Here's another batch of 8. On Carhart.

Will contact the next 8 knives worth of guys...

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Inked8_LI by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]
I love mine smile !
I will take R3
I see that these are selling like hotcakes , love mine . I'd sure like a boning style blade if Alex ever decides to expand his line .
If he ever catches up here! (Actually he's close now.) I'll have him profile out some other famous styles of blades. That's a good idea for expanding his skillset.
If he ever catches up here! (Actually he's close now.) I'll have him profile out some other famous styles of blades. That's a good idea for expanding his skillset.

LIKE ! ! !
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]InkedreB_LI by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

These are from the last two batches, things just got a little confuddled... Will contact the next 6 guys...

Ok Guys, To my knowledge, the list has been played out! All have been contacted. (If somehow I missed you, please let me know asap!) (IrvingD, your order is underway...)

From now on I will try to keep Alex going on knives as he has time, and I will get him to profile out different styles. I will also keep David going on Pens, letter openers, and etc.

We'll still accept orders, I may even start forwarding your contacts to them directly and begin teaching them to do customer contacts as well.

When we don't have orders going, we will post them up for open sale, and they will go first come first served. So please watch for this thread to pop up occasionally!

I have to thank you all again for supporting and encouraging both Alex and David on this! My homeschooling efforts are being rewarded with brain wrinkles that seem to be set in, and this one is due to you guys! I recognize that completely, and thank you all sincerely. This is wonderful stuff, in the long run, when they look back on their education with me, they'll know that you guys have been a very important part of their early years. THANK YOU!

Steve
Sounds good

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]bb1 by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]bb2 by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

Batch of Buckeye Burl Budget Bushcraft Skinners By RainShadow2 (Alex) who subcontracted RainShadow3 (David) to do a few steps for him.

Thanks to Big Rick from RR Calls for the nice burl wood!

This whole batch is for one customer, they are already pending sale.

The “list” has been exhausted... if you’d like to order a budget bushcraft knife, please send me a message with an email address. I will forward them to Alex, and he can begin the “customer contact” portion of his training... and take ‘one off’ custom orders directly from you! (I will supervise, and make sure he takes good notes and collects contact information.)

Thanks for the help you all have been raising my boys!

L1 is still available... Send me a message.

Also taking custom orders! He's on his second one! Make it your design or his, interact directly with the maker from now on, send me a message and I'll connect you!

Ok, here he goes, the post I'm making...

"RainShadow2 (16yo son, Alex) made these two recently. Custom orders that he handled himself, start to finish.

Alex is continuing the “Budget Bushcraft Pack Skinners” for the RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives Shop!
Sawmill bandsaw blade steel, amazing performance and unbelievable toughness!

Message me and I can connect you with a budding entrepreneur who has JUST taken flight!"

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]ab1 by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

Custom profile, Micarta.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]ab2 by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

Traditional profile, Desert Ironwood

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]bb1 by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]bb2 by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

Batch of Buckeye Burl Budget Bushcraft Skinners By RainShadow2 (Alex) who subcontracted RainShadow3 (David) to do a few steps for him.

Thanks to Big Rick from RR Calls for the nice burl wood!

This whole batch is for one customer, they are already pending sale.

Customer for this whole batch has gone silent without payment...

Time has passed with regular attempts to contact, and these have been ignored.

These knives are up for open sale, please let me know if you'd like one....

Thanks!
Buyer resurfaced, family emergency and the check has been mailed... I'll give him a little more time...
I bought one of these last winter.They are shaving sharp!!!!
I want one of these:

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]ab2 by .com/photos/142732471@N06/]Steve Tormala, on [bleep]

Traditional profile, Desert Ironwood[/quote]
Buyer came through for the batch of 10, so they're gone.

If you'd like to get in touch with the Budget Knife Maker, or the Pen/Letter Opener maker, send me a text number or email address, and I'll get them in touch with you. Thanks!
I’m going to team up with the boys to get a re-surfaced order covered, then there will be a few more available.

I’ll put them up for sale.

Then this Spring the younger brother is going to take over the budget blades, so they’ll be available to-order again.

He’s got skills… he’s the pen/letter opener guy, and he’s built several customs, mostly cleavers. He’s done most of his brother’s sheathing, and most of the other steps of the knife process.

David is 16, almost 17, Jr in HS. Lineman captain on the football team, does guitar (electric/acoustic/bass) and fiddle on youth and senior worship teams, competition fiddler, also plays mandolin, & banjo, throws in track, still homeschooling, and is a great kid! He’s looking into metal trades and elementary school teaching (he’s dreaming about Alaska) for his future. He’s a good investment, and he’ll put out some great knives!

Feel free to message me about now and future budget blades. We’ll get you on the list!
Updated my Products page with the latest batch of Budget Blades!

https://rain-shadow.com/rainshadow-products
David is in town for a week... he wanted to make "his own" design for the budget skinner. He did a prototype yesterday, it looked and felt really really good! I'm proud of him! He'll be back for a longer term in March so look for them to show up then.

I'm also experimenting with a thicker longer version myself. So, two new designs coming soon!
My son, David, is taking over the Basic Budget Bushcraft Blades from his brother, Alex!

Alex is moving on to a full-time apprenticeship welding job, and David will be building budget blades from now on.

He’s redesigning the blade to make it his own.

Here’s the first evolution of the redesign. They probably won’t look exactly like this, but some elemental changes will probably make their way into his personalized design.

This one is for sale! $50 delivered in the US.

If it’s gone when you see this, or if you prefer one from the Alex series, go check out the online store on my website; rain-shadow.com. There are a few from the Alex series left there. Same price!

Thanks for supporting Alex as he produced the Budget Blades! He’s developed lots of confidence in the shop throughout that experience, and the résumé entry from it has helped him land a good full-time job in the metal working industry!
You made a REAL difference in a young guy’s career path!

[Linked Image from uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com]

The original I got is an awesome knife. Have it attached to my 10mm chest holster set up I wear when I'm out and about on my property. It's scary Sharp and holds a good edge. If you have any blue handle material, I'll get one from David. No rush at all, but always can used another knife, and love seeing young folks learning skills and business knowledge.
I’ll take it! Have a couple from Alex and love that y’all do this.
Thanks Ccard!

I’ll see you in messages!!

This one is sold, check rain-shadow.com for the rest of the Alex era blades!
Thanks Chumlee, I’ll talk to David about blue handle material. Might message about options.
© 24hourcampfire