Home
Posted By: WStrayer WTS: Savage 99 358 Winchester - 02/12/20
Decided to sell my Savage 99 in 358 Winchester. This is the second Savage 99 that I owned and I want to love them but the straight stock and tang safety are not for me. Love the caliber and the balance. Gun has great blueing and case hardening. Small ding in edge of forearm. And former owner removed the original rear sight and installed the Williams rear sight on it now. "Bubba" also had the barrel drilled and tapped for such installation. I show it with a plain dovetail blank in place but the sight is actually anchored by a contoured dovetail that is drilled and tapped for the sight. But unless you remove the rear sight you would never know. However, I want you to know about it and not be surprised as I was. All of this is clearly visible in photos. Recoil was not early as bad as some would have you believe. Asking $1100 plus shipping to your FFL. I do have reloading set-up and some factor ammo available as a side deal. Scope bases are included. Rather than clog up the server here I am including a link to Imgur. https://imgur.com/a/fphHHrq New lister here but have done several deals on MarlinOwners.com Thanks for looking.
Bill is a long-time member of MarlinOwners.com. He's a stand-up guy. You can trust him to deal fairly.

Free Bump for a nice rifle!

T.S.
Posted By: Ubet Re: WTS: Savage 99 358 Winchester - 02/13/20
pigs don't fly!!!!!
Posted By: RAS Re: WTS: Savage 99 358 Winchester - 02/13/20
That is a brush gun. Only made a few years.

Glws
Nice rifle and cat
I have one, recoil isn’t bad at all, hell of a brush gun for sure.
the pics show 2 different recoil pads...same gun?
The photo with just the brown rubber butt plate is how I carried it in deer season. I took off the recoil pad to compensate for heavy clothes. Needed a shorter eye relief.
Originally Posted by hanco
I have one, recoil isn’t bad at all, hell of a brush gun for sure.

Like so many others, I heard stories of heavy recoil. Actually mild recoil considering what is at the receiving end. But then I come from shooting thousands of rounds of 45-70 in Trapdoors, Winchester levers and Marlin full power loads.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Nice shape! Pig thumper
Thanks to Brazos for posting one of the photos from the Imgur link
You're welcome.

I should have noted that was only one of several pictures.

Nice rifle!
Good price
She really is pretty.

T.S.
Seems like this would be a GREAT spring bear gun.
Guess the straight stock is not as desirable as the pistol grip that just sold here.
The F goes for a little more I believe.
Tag
Bump
If I was not in the middle of a move and about to add a second mortgage payment, I would have already bought this.

Free bump for a solid thumper.
Nice rifle on my bucket list! And I'm NOT getting any younger LOL Do you have any ammo? Do you collect Marlins? Any interest in a Marlin 336D? 1 of 1000 35 Remington Guide Gun.18.5 ported barrel in excellent condition with original box. Just tossing it out there!
No interest in the Marlin.
Originally Posted by Tim50
Nice rifle on my bucket list! And I'm NOT getting any younger LOL Do you have any ammo? Do you collect Marlins? Any interest in a Marlin 336D? 1 of 1000 35 Remington Guide Gun.18.5 ported barrel in excellent condition with original box. Just tossing it out there!

You have a message about 336D
I answered that one....
I just don't like the short barrels.

I appreciate the trade offers. Really looking for a Remington 673, preferably in 350 Rem mag.
But you may have something that peaks my interest. Just make sure that it is of similar value or understand that you will need to contribute $$$.
If you are looking for a thumper with a long barrel, I've got a Savage 116 Stainless w/ synthetic stock in 375 H&H (24 inch barrel) wearing a Nikon BDC 3-9X50 scope that I'll trade.

I also have a Savage 116 Brush Hunter in 375 Ruger in a Hogue synthetic stock I'll swap but it has a 20 inch (I think) barrel and I don't think it's stainless.

The recoil on the 375 Ruger is a lot sharper than the "push" of the H&H so I fitted it with a better stock (Hogue) .

If you're interested, I'll snap some pics and send them to you.

T.S.
Posted By: 1234 Re: WTS: Savage 99 358 Winchester - 02/20/20
i have a 375 h&h whitworth with a removable muzzle brake in a fiberglass stock that i would trade for the savage rifle is very accurate.

Ed
A local shop has a 375 Ruger still sitting on the rack. It is a LOT of gun. But too much or me.
Never going to Africa so a 375 H&H is also not needed
Interesting to see what various guys have stocked away in their gun safes... .
Ha! I also have a Winchester model 70 in 375 H&H, Two Steyrs in 376 Steyr, a Ruger Alaskan in 416 Ruger, a Rem. 700 BDL in 338 RUM, a Ruger 77 Magnum in 458 WinMag and a Ruger safari Magnum in 458 Lott. I just don't want to part with them. :-)

T.S.
You've placed an awful temptation in my path. Any interest in a Remington 700 Classic in 350 Rem Mag? It's not a 673, but a better rifle in my opinion. I'd really figured on holding into it, but your .358 99 is very interesting.
How about $1100 and split shipping and insurance?
Closing the ad..

Can anyone tell me how to edit the title to reflect such or lock the ad?
It will fade away
I've noticed a trend here. Rifles chambered in 358 Win and 280 Rem seem to get little love.

Thanks, Dinny
© 24hourcampfire