Home
McCaulley

53 acres 40 miles north of Abilene.

As you can see from the pictures in the link, mostly in dry land cultivation. 5 or 6 acres (maybe a little more) in old overgrown pasture. Mesquite and cactus now.

This is what is left of a quarter section my grandmother and two of her sisters owned.

I saw some deer sign last time I was there, and evidence of pigs rooting up prickly pear.

We are retaining the mineral rights.

It is listed, and will most likely sell to one of the neighbors. Just wanted to throw it out there for your perusal.

Regards,
Bob.
I see you retain rights to the minerals. Back in the early '50s my great grandfather bought 40 acres in Michigan's UP. He used the property as a winter haven to hunt deer and bear. Some 9 or 10 years after he owned the land he drove there to find the land clear cut. The seller (lumber company) had apparently retained rights to the lumber. We still have the land but now we have a neighbor 10 miles away that let's us know when it gets cut. Seems odd to me that we paid fair market value and we pay taxes twice a year yet the lumber company still makes money off OUR land.

Thanks, Dinny
read the fine print....
I would never purchase land without full rights
Originally Posted by RickyBobby

yup
Without mineral rights the price drops quickly in Texas!!!!
Yeah, didn't mean to mislead. We are retaining the mineral rights, and I edited the original post. My cousin's Dad made her promise she would retain them if she ever sold.

Anyway, don't NEED to sell. We can go on leasing it for farming and let the next generation deal with it.

And it is listed at pretty much the going rate w/o mineral rights.
Originally Posted by okie
read the fine print....

^^^ This ^^^
Originally Posted by SupFoo
read the fine print....

^^^ This ^^^

And what fine print might that be?
Originally Posted by RickyBobby

Agree 100%
I bought some land in KS in 09.
Seller wanted to keep mineral rights. I told him to keep the land. He changed his mind. I then bought it.
Good idea, but unless you have a very large pocket full of money, you ain't buying mineral rights in most places in Texas, for obvious reasons.
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Good idea, but unless you have a very large pocket full of money, you ain't buying mineral rights in most places in Texas, for obvious reasons.

It’s still north of $25,000/net mineral acre in the Permian. Still north of that in the Delaware. Get out of the sweet spots and it falls quickly.
Is there an easement for access onto the property?
I'm not saying it doesn't happen but good luck on that in Texas.
Originally Posted by jlboykin
Originally Posted by JGRaider

It’s still north of $25,000/net mineral acre in the Permian. Still north of that in the Delaware. Get out of the sweet spots and it falls quickly.

Mineral rights in some of the Wolf Camp zone in west Texas were worth $60k per acre to oil companies for drilling/production leases.

The Eagle Ford in S. Texas was $40-50k.

That being said, in this day and age, unless you are in an area that has shifting formations, they pretty much know what's under your land as far as oil and gas.

Partial mineral rights with land sales is far more common than "no mineral rights".

You can retain half the mineral rights and sell the other half with the land. (Or whatever percent is agreed on)
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Is there an easement for access onto the property?

Looks like a county road on the south side, there's your access.
Buying land without mineral rights is almost like buying a house where the former owners retain the right to come in whenever they want. Still people do it.
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
Buying land without mineral rights is almost like buying a house where the former owners retain the right to come in whenever they want. Still people do it.

Kinda.

But you get paid for them doing so.

Surface damages.

I sure hope a pipeline company wants to put a wide pipeline easement through my ranch before long... smile

Or build a well location, facility sight, or even run a seismic survey. wink

I've seen some pretty small scale landowners written checks that would stagger you.
In PA, u ain't touching land with mineral rights under $8-10000/ac
I'd say the access is good as well, but what about access to drinkable water and electricity? What's the average cost for septic in that part of TX? What does property tax run per year? Will the property taxes go up if the land is developed for its minerals? Also how active is that small airport that is very near the east side of the property? What was the agricultural income from the property for the last 5-10 years?

I'm not interested in the property (don't have that kind of disposable money right now), but those are just the top of the list questions I'd ask before considering any rural property.

Stupid or desperate people do it, and it seems logical that this isn't the target audience for a property like this.
Wouldn't give a plug nickel for a property without M.R.
Well gentlemen, and others, I did not intend to insult anyone or be insulted.

I didn't really expect to sell this here, just threw it out for y'all to look at.

Some of the responses have been humorous.

A few have been knowledgeable, thanks JG, jlb, RBB,dkhunt, and 10ring.

Very interesting.

Brazos, I did not interpret these two quotes below to be directed to you in any way...What I got from it was a "In general, read the fine print" when thinking about a purchase of any kind for that matter. My personal example was with a general contractor with whom I discussed agreed verbally that certain extras would be "Included" as part of our written contract. In this case he omitted the extras and I did not notice, the end result was $5000.00 out of pocket on my end.

There is nothing in your post that suggests any type of underhandedness...just a FYI from other folks who maybe have had bad experiences by not throughly understanding what they are signing...Just my two cents and good luck with the sale.

Originally Posted by Brazos
Originally Posted by SupFoo
read the fine print....

^^^ This ^^^

And what fine print might that be?
Bet your glad you listed it on the Campfire. LOL

How bout this, are there snakes? No snakes here in Alaska. How bout hogs, they eat good or carry swine flu? Any trophy deer? How big is them jack rabbits? Do them illegal immigrants I hear about pass through there?

SNAKES WOULD BE A DEAL BREAKER FOR ME.

Seems like I have a lot of friends from Texas. Had a real cute blonde Texas girl friend in high school, she dumped me.

Property sounds pretty good to me. I could park my big self contained Toy Hauler there and sit out there with my little woman and a good cigar and practice my shooting and ride a wheeler.

Mineral rights are seldom available in Alaska, big oil and mining and timber buy or lease it all from the state and they piss it away. Heck, just kidding. I would miss my PFD, I am entitled to it !
To simply avoid what some folks have explained here as being "hosed over " in real estate, as I have been also, the best recourse you have is to use the same lawyer at closing as the seller is using, by law, the lawyer can not lie or withhold anything from you, so at the closing in front of witnesses you simply ask your representative if there is any underlying circumstances that you should know about, by law he must tell you !
I thought a lawyer could only represent one party. I heard this especially with divorce. Sadly I don't know much about the laws.
Originally Posted by 10ring1
In PA, u ain't touching land with mineral rights under $8-10000/ac

I could maybe hook you up with 230 acres at $9k per.

But, it's right between Pa's armpit and asswhole.
Very little ground sold in Montana includes mineral rights...
I just bought 88 acres. I get all the rights and it is loaded with beautiful mature cedar. Don’t plan on selling a single one.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Kinda.

But you get paid for them doing so.

Surface damages.

I sure hope a pipeline company wants to put a wide pipeline easement through my ranch before long... smile

Or build a well location, facility sight, or even run a seismic survey. wink

I've seen some pretty small scale landowners written checks that would stagger you.

That does take some of the sting out of it...
© 24hourcampfire