Home
Posted By: Dave_in_WV After market choke question - 08/01/20
I was given a 12ga 1100. I bought a 20" rifle sighted barrel with Rem chokes. Is there an aftermarket choke tube that gives better buckshot patterns like there advertisements? I have a cylinder choke in it now. I know, "shoot it and see" but buckshot isn't on the shelves right now. I'm looking for 25-30 yards decent patterns.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: K1500 Re: After market choke question - 08/02/20
I would just pattern a factory mod and full choke (assuming you have them). I’ll bet one of them does the trick.
Posted By: MOGC Re: After market choke question - 08/02/20
What size buckshot? What does "decent pattern" mean to you? And to what purpose, self defense, hunting, ect.?
Posted By: GF1 Re: After market choke question - 08/02/20
As you mention in your first post, go shoot it first. I would expect your cylinder choke to perform very well at the ranges you mention (25-30 yards).
Posted By: BS2 Re: After market choke question - 08/02/20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dbZK9Lm9jQ

Look at the Federal with flight control.
Cylinder choke is no choke or constriction. Not sure another cylinder choke would likely do better. You should notice a difference by going to an improved cylinder or tighter choke. You will probably notice more of a difference trying different brands of buck shot than buying another cylinder choke.
Thanks for the input. Buckshot size is 00 and #4. Decent patterns means all in the torso at 25-30 yards.
Posted By: MOGC Re: After market choke question - 08/03/20
Federal Tactical and your factory flush fit modified choke will do it. That should throw about an 8"-10" pattern at 25 yards. Don't use a wad stripping choke with the Federal load. Federal uses a Flite Control wad that is designed to stay with the shot keeping it all together longer for tight patterns. If you can find the Federal Tactical #1 Buck you're in business. Number #1 Buck is under appreciated, it's the best anti personnel buckshot load on the market.
Thanks for the replies. I ordered a flush fit light mod. choke tube. That gives me cyl. - full choke to try.
I got to the range today and tried 00 & $4 buckshot. My improved modified choke did the best. I set the target at 50'. I think 25-30 yards is too far for my ammo (Winchester). Finding the Federal LE buckshot is not happening for me. I could find lower recoil shells but I don't know it they'll cycle my 1100.
my Winchester model 12 with a mod choke in 12ga # 4 buck is awesome
My IC 870 shoots plain generic buck with a spread of 3/4”/yd. 7 1/2”at 10 yds. About 15” at 20 yds. Maybe you need some range time to find out what works for you.
https://www.kicks-ind.com/
© 24hourcampfire