Home
Hello all,

I am looking to setup a superlite 20 gauge for hiking while Turkey hunting.

As light as possible within a reasonable amount of money.

Going to purchase youth stocks so my daughters can use as well(or vice versa).

Suggestions?

This:

Winchester SXP Turkey Hunter

https://www.winchesterguns.com/products/shotguns/sxp/SXP-Current-Products/sxp-turkey.html

or this:

https://www.winchesterguns.com/prod...f-turkey-hunter-mossy-oak-obsession.html

Winchester SXP NWTF Turkey Hunter - Mossy Oak Obsession

About 6 1/2 lb loaded up with XR 5s and 6s. wink
I will take a look!!
I shoot a pair of 12 gauge 1300 turkey pump guns. In over 15 years there have been no issues and these guns have performed excellently so I have been looking over the fence at those 20 gauge models with hungry eyes.
I settled into a Benelli Montefeltro 20 ga. with a 24" barrel.
Just ordered a Burris Speed bead for it from Buds.
If you`re patient you can score one for around $750.00 give or take.
Good luck !
Not sure about turkey specific models TriStar Viper G2 are extremely light 20 gauges and are awesome
Yeah a Benelli Montefeltro 20ga with a 24" barrel would be My first choice given your criteria but they aint cheap, for a good 20ga turkey gun on the cheap i would give the Mossberg 500 20ga 22" camo a hard look.....Good luck....Hb
About as light as it's gonna get... wink

https://www.mossberg.com/product/510-youth-mini-super-bantam-all-purpose-field-50497/
Youth 20 pump of your choice and #7 or 9 TSS. I like the Montefeltro idea but even at 24" that barrel is going to snag if you hunt eastern woods like we do. I'm 6'1" so I hate a longer barrel. I bought a Turkish made Dickinson home defense 12 ga with threaded 18" barrel even though I have a SBE2 with speedbead and fastfire 3 in the safe since it is a 28" barrel.
Benelli M2 20 gauge... king of the mountain!
If super light is what you're going for............why not a .410 single with a Sumtoy tube and TSS 9's ??
I have a Franchi Infinity 20 gauge/26 inch barrel with a Burris Fastfire.
It's light and will do the job you need done.
Use a Jebs choke tube and TSS #9.
Serious question. Are people really paying $45 for 5 shotgun shells? I have a box of Nitro Magnums I inherited from my Dad that are still killing turkeys. They may be 30 years old.
2nd the franchi affinity. Great lightweight Turkey slayer without breaking the bank.
Originally Posted by blairvt
Serious question. Are people really paying $45 for 5 shotgun shells? I have a box of Nitro Magnums I inherited from my Dad that are still killing turkeys. They may be 30 years old.

I thought the same thing- crazy what some of those shells cost- I sure wouldn’t pay those prices to kill a bird, but I’m not a serious turkey hunter. From what I’ve heard- they are impressive killers though.

We are seeing a lot of local guy's using .410 #8 or #9 shot they say it works great. We are covered up with Turkeys but no one here hunts them. Rio7
Originally Posted by RIO7

We are seeing a lot of local guy's using .410 #8 or #9 shot they say it works great.

The TSS #9 shells do turn a properly choked .410 into a 40 yard gun. And (as opposed to larger gauges) the shells are not completely hateful to have to buy.

Originally Posted by RIO7
We are covered up with Turkeys but no one here hunts them. Rio7

Lemme know when you want help getting rid of some of them. Ain't been to Texas for a few years. grin
my franchi affinity 20 ga with 26 inch barrels is about 6 pounds.

Great trigger and drilled & tapped for a optic.
Would be looking for a 20 ga break action w/ 2-3/4” chamber, such as H&R or similar ilk. Install choke tubes if necessary and move on. Light, simple and functional. Turkeys aren’t hard to kill and if it takes more than one shot you’re doing it wrong.

http://www.hr1871.com/images/photo_topper.jpg

In 12, 20, 410. 5-6 lbs.

check website for a youth model.
A Franchi AL-48, super light.
Rem 870 express compact camo with Rem super full turkey choke and Federal heavyweight #7’s. My gunsmith drilled and tapped it and I put an Aimpoint 9000SC on it. It’s light as all get out, compact and handy. And the shotgun cost me $325 new.

I think I’ve posted this before but here’s a dead bird that got knocked on his butt at 40 yards.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Benelli SBE in 20 ga.
5.8 lbs

https://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/super-black-eagle-3-shotguns?eid=193
Light is good, but compact and ease of movement is more important to me. All of my 20s are just under 7#, but my Encore with 20” barrel and collapsible stock can ride in a pack or gunbearer, and not hang limbs. Vertical grip is easier to keep the muzzle where I need it while calling or scratching with my off hand....can be shot one handed in a pinch. My problem with all the 410 turkey ‘specials’ is the 26” of whip barrel hanging out there, that I don’t need in a sub gauge for patterns or velocity.
Yildiz 410 with Sumtoy choke 3 lbs
Light weight 20 GA?

Franchi AL48
Benelli montefeltro
Benelli M2 compact was my choice
18 yards, fixed modified .410, #9 TSS, bang, flop. Weighs nothing.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Yildiz single .410. send barrel to SumToy in Jesup, GA for choke tube and red dot mount install. 3.3#. will reach 50 yards with properly matched load.
Franchi Affinity 3 Compact......5.9lbs
Light? Any old 20 ga single shot. There have been a couple Win Moel 37 's on the classifieds lately. Turkeys are very seldom more than one shot affairs
Originally Posted by warpig602
Franchi Affinity 3 Compact......5.9lbs

I bought one of those for my grandson to use. Finally got to handle it last week. Pretty nice gun. I think I chose well. The camo model was all that was available, but it looks better in person than in pics.
© 24hourcampfire