Home
Posted By: vbshootinrange light weight 28 gauge - 12/16/20

I just purchased a Browning BPS in .410, and am now saving for a light weight 28 gauge repeater.

Not sure if I want a pump or auto. Franchi makes an really nice lightweight 28, or I could get another BPS in 28.

The Franchi would be lighter, and might handle a little better for fast shots.

Anyone have either, or another light weight 28 gauge they like?

I've got lots of time to think on this, and "save up"

Thanks! Virgil B.
Posted By: TraderVic Re: light weight 28 gauge - 12/16/20
Well, Ithaca makes a sweet little 28 ga pump. Unfortunately, Ithaca just bumped up their MSRP on all of their guns.
Posted By: Judman Re: light weight 28 gauge - 12/16/20
Called Ithaca to order a 28 a few months ago, Ol biitch that answered was about as helpful as a turd. Hi I’d like to order a 28 gauge. We don’t have any. Ok I’d like to get put on the list. We don’t have a list, we don’t have any receivers and we don’t know when we’re gonna produce anymore... ok then. Worst customer service ever . I’d go bps
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: light weight 28 gauge - 12/16/20
Originally Posted by Judman
Called Ithaca to order a 28 a few months ago, Ol biitch that answered was about as helpful as a turd. Hi I’d like to order a 28 gauge. We don’t have any. Ok I’d like to get put on the list. We don’t have a list, we don’t have any receivers and we don’t know when we’re gonna produce anymore... ok then. Worst customer service ever . I’d go bps

May find one on the used market. I like mine. Butt stock is butt ugly, but handles a lot better than it looks. At least mine has some nice wood. They seem well made, reportedly better made than some of the earlier Ithacas, especially those transition versions. I have a first year Ithaca 20 ga. This one is not slicker than that one.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Yep, she is the queen of frustration. I tried to get past her for months and couldn't. Finally gave their phone # to a local dealer, he got through to sales/service, ordered a 28 ga for me, showed up here about 10 days ago. This stupid delay cost me more money because Ithaca just bumped their prices.

Sent PM
Posted By: Muskrat2090 Re: light weight 28 gauge - 12/16/20
I have a Ruger Red Label 28 that is nice for grouse hunting, very svelte.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: light weight 28 gauge - 12/16/20
Saw a Browning Model 12 in 28 gauge on gunbroker earlier today...not sure how the Browning reproduction compares to the original Winchester.
Posted By: Judman Re: light weight 28 gauge - 12/16/20
Originally Posted by TraderVic

Yep, she is the queen of frustration. I tried to get past her for months and couldn't. Finally gave their phone # to a local dealer, he got through to sales/service, ordered a 28 ga for me, showed up here about 10 days ago. This stupid delay cost me more money because Ithaca just bumped their prices.

Copy how long did it take? Pm returned
Posted By: battue Re: light weight 28 gauge - 12/16/20
Goes to show you how a different person....on the other end....makes the difference....

Ithaca 37 28 Gauge....Had a feeding firing issue with mine when I first got it...Called and was transferred to repair...Guy was super and said send it back...It was back home within a week...But it came back with an extra entire bolt assembly...Called them and the guy said.."Hmm, well it is yours now, and thanks for choosing Ithaca."

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: light weight 28 gauge - 12/16/20
Love those pics.

DF
Posted By: battue Re: light weight 28 gauge - 12/16/20
Thank you....appreciate it....
Posted By: dale06 Re: light weight 28 gauge - 12/16/20
Benelli makes a light 28 ga semi auto
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: light weight 28 gauge - 12/17/20
My fav 28, a Merkel that I've posted before..

Traded for it. Fits me perfectly and is a joy to shoot.

DF

Posted By: GunGeek Re: light weight 28 gauge - 12/17/20
The Browning model 12's are super nice, but they're only available in 26", and I'm a 28" kind of guy. So went for the Franchi.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: light weight 28 gauge - 12/21/20
Originally Posted by GunGeek
The Browning model 12's are super nice, but they're only available in 26", and I'm a 28" kind of guy. So went for the Franchi.

I've heard good things about the Franchi.

The closest I have is a 1100 with 27" bbl. It's not the slick finished Sporting Clays model, has a dull finish. I traded for it, probably a field grade or such.

It's a nice dove gun, slightly heavier than your Franchi.

DF

Posted By: ryoushi Re: light weight 28 gauge - 12/21/20
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange

I just purchased a Browning BPS in .410, and am now saving for a light weight 28 gauge repeater.

Not sure if I want a pump or auto. Franchi makes an really nice lightweight 28, or I could get another BPS in 28.

The Franchi would be lighter, and might handle a little better for fast shots.

Anyone have either, or another light weight 28 gauge they like?

I've got lots of time to think on this, and "save up"

Thanks! Virgil B.

If you want an auto, the Benelli Ultralight is about as light as they come.
Posted By: wildfowl Re: light weight 28 gauge - 12/21/20
If you ever handle a Franchi you will fall in love with it.
Posted By: battue Re: light weight 28 gauge - 12/21/20
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Nice...

Thanks for all the great replies!

I just got $200. for Christmas money that I can put in my "stash" for a 28,

And I'm thinking on selling my 870 Tactical 12 ga. and adding that money to my next shotgun fund.

Virgil B.
Posted By: Bighorn Re: light weight 28 gauge - 12/21/20
Here is my dog Dolly, a nice rooster, and my 28 ga. Benelli Legacy. It weighs a shade under 5 lbs, and with IC or Skeet chokes and 7/8 oz. Fiocchi Golden Pheasant ammo, a sure killer over my pointing Lab.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: light weight 28 gauge - 12/21/20
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Here is my dog Dolly, a nice rooster, and my 28 ga. Benelli Legacy. It weighs a shade under 5 lbs, and with IC or Skeet chokes and 7/8 oz. Fiocchi Golden Pheasant ammo, a sure killer over my pointing Lab.

Now, that's one cool photo.... cool

Congrats all the way around and thanks for sharing.

DF
Great photo, Bighorn!

A Benelli at under 5 lbs would be GREAT!

But, being retired and on a fixed income, I'm going to have to save for a while, for another shotgun. (Grin!)

Gotta get somewhere, where I can handle some of these shotguns.

Virgil B.
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: light weight 28 gauge - 12/23/20
Love the Franchi

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
SC;

That's a darn nice looking shotgun!

Gotta get one of these in my "hot little hands" (GRIN!)

Virgil B.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: light weight 28 gauge - 12/23/20
I like the looks of the Benelli and the Franchi.

Guess I've have to handle them to see which one I preferred.

My 1100 is heavier than both, but is still light and fast.

I'm concerned if too light, they may be a bit whippy, but maybe not with longer barrels...

DF
Posted By: Bighorn Re: light weight 28 gauge - 12/23/20
Here is a pic of my Benelli 28 ga. Mine has a 26" barrel, and balances very nicely. I don't have any trouble maintaining a smooth swing and follow-thru with it. One very good feature of this Benelli is that it comes with a number of shims to fine-tune drop and cast-off for almost any shooter's needs.
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: light weight 28 gauge - 12/23/20
I wanted a 28 gauge to dove hunt with. Had a hard time finding anything in 28 gauge around here in KY. I ended up buying a Tristar Viper G2. Weighs about 5 1/4 lb and has a 28" barrel. I think I gave around $475 on clearance from Zanders. It definitely isn't a Benelli, but it's a nice gun with some really nice wood. Appears to be a copy of a Winchester SX2 gas system. I would buy again if I needed another one.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: light weight 28 gauge - 12/24/20
Originally Posted by ChuckKY
I wanted a 28 gauge to dove hunt with. Had a hard time finding anything in 28 gauge around here in KY. I ended up buying a Tristar Viper G2. Weighs about 5 3/4 lb and has a 28" barrel. I think I gave around $475 on clearance from Zanders. It definitely isn't a Benelli, but it's a nice gun with some really nice wood. Appears to be a copy of a Winchester SX2 gas system. I would buy again if I needed another one.

Good friend has the Weatherby version, both made in Turkey.

He really likes his, no problems, lots of dead doves.

DF
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
Love the Franchi

I really like the looks of straight English stocks regardless of those who say they are less functional.
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: light weight 28 gauge - 12/24/20
SC;

Virgil B.

It hit the walnut jackpot on this one.

Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: light weight 28 gauge - 12/24/20
SC;

Virgil B.

It hit the walnut jackpot on this one.

For sure. Nice wood.

DF
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: light weight 28 gauge - 12/26/20
My favorite 28 is a Kassnar Churchill with 23" barrels IC/M. Awesome grouse gun.

Love the Franchi

What does that Franchi 28 weigh?
Posted By: Muffin Re: light weight 28 gauge - 12/27/20
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
Love the Franchi

Had one for a while, shot more quail with it than any other gun.

IIRC, about 5#s

A delight to shoot...
Posted By: tbear99 Re: light weight 28 gauge - 01/01/21
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
Love the Franchi

5.4 lbs
Posted By: tbear99 Re: light weight 28 gauge - 01/01/21
I also have te franchi deluxe 28ga and it is fast light weight great gun you fall in love the first time you pull up with one
Posted By: 06hunter59 Re: light weight 28 gauge - 01/02/21
The Browning M12 28 ga is a great gun. Shot one for years and killed many pheasants with it.
Currently, my go to 28 ga is a Skeet/Skeet choked Browning Superposed. A Deadly shotgun that Pheasants fear!
I had a Remington 11-48 28 ga Skeet years ago. I wish I had it back. It was a great bird gun that was a dream to carry and shoot.
Nothing like a 28 gauge.......Enjoy!
Posted By: duckster Re: light weight 28 gauge - 01/11/21
I have an older CZ O/U in 28 gauge that I like quite well. Good dove gun and early season pheasants. I think it was around $750
Posted By: Avocet Re: light weight 28 gauge - 03/03/21
Originally Posted by battue
Goes to show you how a different person....on the other end....makes the difference....

Ithaca 37 28 Gauge....Had a feeding firing issue with mine when I first got it...Called and was transferred to repair...Guy was super and said send it back...It was back home within a week...But it came back with an extra entire bolt assembly...Called them and the guy said.."Hmm, well it is yours now, and thanks for choosing Ithaca."

Thanks Battue. Love the gun, the dogs, and the essence of Autumn you captured. Made my day.
Posted By: battue Re: light weight 28 gauge - 03/04/21
Thanks,

They were two good days....and my minds eye can still recall them vividly.....

As per my post on a CZ, I found a nice lightweight 28 gauge!

Six lbs. even. Always liked an O&U and found this one "in stock"at Cabelas.

Actually had my choice of two of them, and got the nicer of the two.

One happy old goat, Virgil B.
Posted By: uncle joe Re: light weight 28 gauge - 03/25/21
I currently have three light weight 28 ga shotguns. 1st is a Fab Arm Elos B I bought from Coles in Naples Fl. It is my go-to upland gun, and at 5.5 lbs it is a no brainer for walking the quail fields all morning. The 2nd is a Beretta BL-3 fixed choke, mod over imp cyl. and is 6 lbs. I've not done much hunting with it but have shot some wobble trap and it performs well. It was one of those guns you see on a used rack and couldn't pass up. The third is a Beretta a400 Xplor that I bought for my wife thinking I could get her interested in clay shooting, that was a short lived endeavor so now it is my back up upland gun and last year I bought a Carlsons extra full extended choke to see how good a turkey caller I am. I found out when I got an 18# gobbler to come within 30 yards that a 28 ga with #6 shot will put him an the table just as well as my 12 ga did in the past. There are a couple more 28 I would like to ad to the stable. I think the Benelli Ethos in 28 ga 3 inch chamber might be interesting and Fiocchi had started making 3 inch shells for it. I also think a nice side by side with a case colored receiver to match my Fab Arm would be nice as well. Last but not least I have always wanted a 28 ga pump and after ready this thread I am focusing on the Ithaca 37, thanks for the push in that direction.
Posted By: hikerbum Re: light weight 28 gauge - 03/25/21
My old Iver Johnson single shot 28 ga is pretty light. Dont really use the 28 much, but its a neat old gun.

I'm really happy with my decision to buy the CZ O&U.

It's a GREAT little gun! Have killed three bluejays, and 6 "rodents" with it so far!

Virgil B.
Posted By: kenacp Re: light weight 28 gauge - 03/26/21

It's a GREAT little gun! Have killed three bluejays,

Virgil B.

??????
Posted By: battue Re: light weight 28 gauge - 03/26/21
Maybe he likes them grilled and wrapped in bacon...But the Feds could care less....

I think he was confused and meant starlings...

Posted By: pacecars Re: light weight 28 gauge - 03/27/21
I will say that the Franchi 48 I had handled very well. It is like a wand. I loaded some 9 1/2 TSS Turkey loads and you would be surprised at the recoil the little gun has
Posted By: GF1 Re: light weight 28 gauge - 03/27/21
Jill, with valley quail, 6# Perazzi MX28-B.

Sorry I’m too stupid to figure out how to post a photo here.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/15943799/jill-quail

The bluejays around here peck the little song birds and chase them away from my feeder,

And, also eat up all my Hazel nuts! So, they get shot.

Had "rodents" getting in my eves, then falling down in the walls and croaking. I shoot every one I see.

Virgil B.
Posted By: battue Re: light weight 28 gauge - 03/28/21

https://www.fws.gov/birds/policies-and-regulations/laws-legislations/migratory-bird-treaty-act.php

Scroll down and see which are included....

Always considered bluejays "pest birds" because the eat up hazel nuts, etc.

Looks like I better leave them alone!
Posted By: Hogeye Re: light weight 28 gauge - 06/01/21

I think it's a good idea to consider the possibility that a gun might be too light. A light gun fits some shooters but not others. I had a 20 ga. Beretta BL-4 that weighed 6 lb and was the perfect upland gun for somebody, but not for me. It was like driving a Miata while wearing my size 13 boots. So someone else has it.

6.5 pounds is about my minimum, and my favorite field gun is an old LC Smith that weighs 6.5#.

If I bought a semiauto for bird hunting, I would look at a Franchi AL-48 12 ga. They are like the 20 and 28 ga. guns, but a pound heavier. Load them with 7/8 oz loads and go hunting.

That's just me. The boots and guns that fit me might not suit you at all.

My sporting clays club rents guns for target shooting, just as the indoor shooting range rents pistols. Good way to try a few on for size.
Posted By: GF1 Re: light weight 28 gauge - 06/01/21
My gun weight minimum is 6#. Below that weight I find my shooting drops off badly. Some folks shoot light guns very well, but I’m not one of them. My pet 28 gauge weighs 6# on the button, and I wouldn’t want it lighter.
Posted By: Hogeye Re: light weight 28 gauge - 06/02/21
Virgil, I'm glad you found a gun you like. Not much is better than a shotgun that really suits you and puts birds in the grass. Good shooting!
© 24hourcampfire