Home
If you could only have two sizes of lead shot for everything......what would they be?

I'm tossing around the idea of #1 Buck, and perhaps BB, or T.......but I know next to nothing about evaluating shotgun performance, compared to avid shotgun enthusiasts. So what say you?
#3 buck and #6 shot.
#5 & #7 1/2.
#1 Buck and #6
Originally Posted by GF1
#5 & #7 1/2.

This
5 & 7 1/2 will kill any bird you can use lead shot on
Originally Posted by Captain
#1 Buck and #6

+1
00 and #4 shot.
#5s for birds (pheasant and turkeys). #8s for targets!
#2 & #6.
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
#2 & #6.

This works for me.
2 and 6
Is this just for bird hunting or everything. I use shotguns for coyote hunting a lot and BB's are my shot of choice 5's for upland birds and 8's for target. I could live with BB's and 7 or 7 1/2 for everything else(shot them for pheasants at dog trials). Just birds and targets 5's and 8's.
Originally Posted by GF1
#5 & #7 1/2.
That...
4 and 7 1/2
Define everything?
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Define everything?

THIS ^ TRAP/clay pigeons ? duck-goose ? upland birds ? coyote/predators ?
#4 and #7-1/2
5's for pheasants and turkeys, 7 1/2's for quail/dove/clays. Thats all I shoot a shotgun at using lead shot.
Originally Posted by pete53
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Define everything?

THIS ^ TRAP/clay pigeons ? duck-goose ? upland birds ? coyote/predators ?

Won't be any ducks or geese since he is asking about lead.
6 and 8
#4 buck and #6
#4 and #7.5
Going to go #4Buck and #8
#4 buck for predators and 2 legged critters.

#6 for all of the furry and feathered critters.

Possibly even narrow it down to a good old 1 3/8 oz dose of 6s at 1300+ fps.

Maybe even a buffered load of same for turkeys even though it probably isn't needed.
Originally Posted by sidepass
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
#2 & #6.

This works for me.

Another vote for this pair.

6's are fine enough for woodcock or dove............coarse enough for turkey. In my BPS 10 gauge, #2 lead will do unspeakable things to large vermin at ridiculous distances
5's for rabbit, squirrel, turkey, pheasant, grouse.

BB's for predators.
5 & 7 I only shoot upland.
#6 for small stuff up to pheasants and coons, #2 for bigger, like coyotes and geese. A mixture of both for turkey, maybe. Or just call them into ten yards and hit them with 6’s. Usually use #4 for that, but at ten yards, what’s the difference?
Originally Posted by Cheesy
5's for pheasants and turkeys, 7 1/2's for quail/dove/clays. Thats all I shoot a shotgun at using lead shot.

Agreed. I like those will cover squirrels, rabbits, woodcock, and pigeons for me too
5’s and 7 1/2’s would work for me too.
# 2's and #6.
4 and 8
Single ought and 7.5
Why? I really don't get these "only" Fire posts....and I get the it's fun aspect....

The question equivalent of: If you could only have two choices of vehicles....two choices of tires...two choices of rifles.....two choices of boots....two rifle calibers....two scope brands, or two, etc, etc..Who would opt for only two of anything....when there are excellent reasons to have multiple choices???? Bring it down to two, and the new posts would be..."Why don't we have more choices when it comes to...etc, etc...

Long live variety.... and be thankful for it....the hell with only two..... wink grin

How about....you can only read two fire posters?...Yea, that would be a lot of fun.....

I have 12-16-20-28 gauges...and shot in 5, 6, 7, 7.5, 8 and perhaps some 9's down there..spreader loads....some steel in 2, 4...Only two? No reason.....

Four shot and 7.5 shot... In fact that’s what I’ve been using for years if I want to limit how many shells I stock for a off gauge.
6 for pheasants & 8 for grouse/woodcock/clays
#4 Buckshot and #6, for me.
Or bismuth.
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Originally Posted by GF1
#5 & #7 1/2.

This
5 & 7 1/2 will kill any bird you can use lead shot on

Or bismuth!
I don’t have to, and ain’t limited to lead either.

Might find ourselves limited to non-toxic someday. Have had excellent luck with steel target loads on doves. Expecting big things from TSS in April and May.

IF I played this game, I’d go with 7 1/2 and 4s.
© 24hourcampfire