Home
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Browning Superposed - 06/11/21
I know this is hard to do, but we have some knowledge folks here, and I saw an older Browning at the LGS.. It has 30 " barrels with a solid rib. I would say the stock has been shortened as it fits me perfectly... It has been shot it opens easily and closes tightly.. The opening lever is about the center of the tang... It fits so nice is what attracts me... It is $699 I believe.. Less than 700.. I might get it for a bit less, the owner was out... What is the verdict.. It isn;t beat, but it has been use.. Blue was good, not white showing that I remember and no cracks or deep scratches in the stock.. I can get pics, if someone will post.. Just wanted to know about the price, ball park or not..
Posted By: GF1 Re: Browning Superposed - 06/11/21
The solid rib guns are worth less than those with a vent rib. Unless the gun is in pristine condition, you are apt to be disappointed. The top lever in the center indicates wear on the bolt, and will require replacement (several hundred dollars for parts and fitting). Twelve gauge guns are common and are
Not highly prized unless a rare configuration and high condition.
Posted By: Hogeye Re: Browning Superposed - 06/11/21
A gun that fits and points where you look is worth whatever it costs, IMO. Gun fit is what puts birds in the grass. Plus a Super is one of the best guns ever made. I have no idea what the market price is, but I would buy it. Then I would send it to the Browning place in St. Louis for a strip and clean.

I passed on a similar gun for $200 - in 1966. Needed the money for something else.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: Browning Superposed - 06/11/21
How's it choked? Single trigger or double? Extractors or ejectors? That old they certainly aren 't for steel shot. They are good guns but brownings all have super tight chokes. Mb
Posted By: Hogeye Re: Browning Superposed - 06/11/21
There's a pre-war St. Louis (not Belgium in other words) Super on GB for $610 with 3 days left. All the others are more. FWIW
Thanks.. Good info.. I thought the solid rib would be of more value!!
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Browning Superposed - 06/11/21
Where else are you going to get a hand-fitted shotgun for that money? I would put serious money on your being able to shoot that gun a bunch and never have to do a bit of work on it.

I'm biased, owning three Superposed (a 12 gauge Lightning Trap 32 inch, a 20 gauge Grade I 28 inch and a 20 gauge Pigeon Grade 28 inch). I bought them all used and have shot the living daylights out of them. Only problem I ever had was that the rib on the Grade I came loose at the breech end. Art's fixed it for me for not a lot. Hasn't hiccupped since.

Look at the fit and finish on that gun and compare it to some of the stuff from Turkey for the same money. You'll have no trouble justifying choosing it.
Posted By: Sasha_and_Abby Re: Browning Superposed - 06/11/21
Buy it... you can always sell it for more if you don't like it. I have a box full of them.
Posted By: Hogeye Re: Browning Superposed - 06/12/21
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

Vent rib has higher price in the market. Solid rib has more value, to me. We are shooters, not dealers. We don't have to care what the market thinks.
Posted By: Alaskajim Re: Browning Superposed - 06/12/21
What LGS is this Super at? I’ll go have a look at it for you. I have many Belgium made Supers, you won’t find a better O/U shotgun.
Posted By: GF1 Re: Browning Superposed - 06/12/21
FWIW, all Browning Superposed guns were made in Belgium. The St. Louis address was the US corporate address. Browning never produced their own sporting arms, and still don’t; they license other companies to manufacture Browning guns.
Posted By: 06hunter59 Re: Browning Superposed - 06/15/21
Buy it.
There is nothing at all like shooting a Superposed.
I've preached for the last 15+years that a 12 Gauge Superposed was way under valued.
They're finally coming up in price. And worth it and then some!
Good Luck
You will not be disappointed,
Ed
Careful.........They're addicting!
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Browning Superposed - 06/15/21
Overleft pork ribs, good!
Posted By: Hogeye Re: Browning Superposed - 06/15/21
Originally Posted by GF1
FWIW, all Browning Superposed guns were made in Belgium. The St. Louis address was the US corporate address. Browning never produced their own sporting arms, and still don’t; they license other companies to manufacture Browning guns.

Thanks. I was thinking of the A5s, some of which were made in the US during WWII.
Posted By: 06hunter59 Re: Browning Superposed - 06/16/21
Originally Posted by Hogeye
Originally Posted by GF1

Thanks. I was thinking of the A5s, some of which were made in the US during WWII.

By Remington I believe.
Nowhere near the quality, fit, and finish as the Belgium made A5s!
Posted By: LFC Re: Browning Superposed - 06/17/21
I know this is hard to do, but we have some knowledge folks here, and I saw an older Browning at the LGS.. It has 30 " barrels with a solid rib. I would say the stock has been shortened as it fits me perfectly... It has been shot it opens easily and closes tightly.. The opening lever is about the center of the tang... It fits so nice is what attracts me... It is $699 I believe.. Less than 700.. I might get it for a bit less, the owner was out... What is the verdict.. It isn;t beat, but it has been use.. Blue was good, not white showing that I remember and no cracks or deep scratches in the stock.. I can get pics, if someone will post.. Just wanted to know about the price, ball park or not..

Go for it...one thing to look out for is rust where the wood meets the metal. Not to common but what is referred to as salt guns are out there.

I've saw one O/Ur and one Brownibg bolt action from the 1960s that had salt wood.
Posted By: Hogeye Re: Browning Superposed - 06/17/21
EZ check for salt wood: pull one butt plate screw. If the screw is rusty, the wood was salt cured and there is rust everywhere the wood touches steel.
Posted By: 06hunter59 Re: Browning Superposed - 06/18/21
I'll bet salt isnt a concern on this one.
With a solid rib, I'll bet it was made decades before the mid/late 60s salt problems.......
It was built in 1952!!
Posted By: GF1 Re: Browning Superposed - 06/18/21
Originally Posted by Hogeye
Originally Posted by GF1

The Model 11 Remington, a cheaper version of the A5, was made in the U.S. under license from Browning, as was a Savage version. I’ve never seen nor heard of any A5 (or other Browning sporting gun) made in the U.S. with a Browning trademark.
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Browning Superposed - 06/18/21
A Super for 700? I would hurt myself getting my wallet out. No salt on that early girl.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Browning Superposed - 06/18/21
With that early a Superposed salt is not an issue, it was made decades before Browning used the salt process. Send the gun to Browning's service center in Arnold, MO for the locking bolt to be welded and refit. I did hundreds of Superposed locking refit when I worked there, a thorough mechanical overhaul will be money well spent.
Posted By: 06hunter59 Re: Browning Superposed - 06/18/21
It was built in 1952!!

So..........Did you buy it?
If you don't, you'll probably regret it!
Posted By: battue Re: Browning Superposed - 06/19/21
What’ does it weigh? Balance point….possibly cut and 30 inch? Does it feel like you wouldn’t mind carrying it behind the Dogs for a day?

Superposed are excellent shotguns, but most of the 12’s can get a little old with a long day.
Posted By: LFC Re: Browning Superposed - 06/19/21
Exactly
It feels great battue, I am used to carrying an 870 12.. I am sure this is lighter... It looks to me like a very clean old shotgun, that has be used but not abused..
It feels great battue, I am used to carrying an 870 12.. I am sure this is lighter... It looks to me like a very clean old shotgun, that has be used but not abused..
Posted By: Hogeye Re: Browning Superposed - 06/19/21
I've never hunted in Wyoming. What are you after? Pheasant? Sage hens? Grouse?

We pretty much hunt woods quail, turkey, and ducks around here, which is why so many guys have more than one shotgun.
Posted By: bobski Re: Browning Superposed - 06/21/21
about the only thing that needs to be checked often on those old hump backs is the leather bolt recoil plug riveted to the back of the inside of the receiver. make sure it hasnt decayed and disappeared.
I mostly hunt prairie grouse, pheasants, some forest grouse and some waterfowl.. I have lots of shotguns, mostly pumps, one o/u and one s/s..
I mostly hunt prairie grouse, pheasants, some forest grouse and some waterfowl.. I have lots of shotguns, mostly pumps, one o/u and one s/s..
Posted By: Hogeye Re: Browning Superposed - 06/21/21
Sounds good to me. I shot a lot of pheasant when I lived in Nebraska, great sport.
Posted By: 458Win Re: Browning Superposed - 06/22/21

There are a lot better f us hunters willing to pay more for solid rib guns. And from your description and desires I would recommend buying it
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Browning Superposed - 06/22/21
I sure hope you are on your way back to buy the damned thing!
Posted By: LFC Re: Browning Superposed - 06/23/21
Originally Posted by bobski
about the only thing that needs to be checked often on those old hump backs is the leather bolt recoil plug riveted to the back of the inside of the receiver. make sure it hasnt decayed and disappeared.

Are we on the same page bObski ?
Posted By: LFC Re: Browning Superposed - 06/23/21
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
A Super for 700? I would hurt myself getting my wallet out. No salt on that early girl.

I've ran across more than one Browning Superposed that I wouldn't pay $700 for.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Browning Superposed - 06/23/21
Superposed are tricky to buy. They were the favorite of a lot of competition shooters, and many have been shot to death. Make sure the barrels ring true, because a LOT have loose barrels and/or ribs.

There's also the issue of salt wood. More guns than not had salt wood. Find a piece of wood with no finish (under forend metal, under recoil pad, etc) and do the silver nitrate test. If it passes, you're good, if not...unless you REALLY know your stuff; pass on any Superposed that fails the test.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Browning Superposed - 06/24/21
The Superposed as built like a tank. If it fits and you have use for a 30" gun (probably choked F/M)...get it. $700 is a better than fair price and it will not lose value.
Posted By: Papag Re: Browning Superposed - 07/10/21
Superposeds WERE Belgian. As was the Liege. Everything after was Japanese
Posted By: Papag Re: Browning Superposed - 07/10/21
1952 was way before salt wood. So was my 1964 which I've been shooting regularly for the past ten years. Other than the chambers being a little loose it is fine. Just have to load on a Grabber or 9000 rather than the 650. Great guns. Mine is my doubles gun
© 24hourcampfire